Page 249 of 528 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 247 248 249 250 251 259 299 349 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,470 of 15824

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Trent should hire this guy for a music video or something. Some of his videos are pretty disturbing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danzo_rezno View Post
    I was in the middle of ripping every channel, every track, but my disk drive started eating my cds so...

The second I fix it I'll put it up and let you know

Awesome! looking forward to it!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    My gut's telling me Trent is indeed writing material for that Fight Club musical. I could be totally wrong, but when you see that now Thom Yorke and David Bowie are involved in scoring musicals, it certainly looks like some sort of unspoken trend is emerging in the world of music. Maybe it's the hip thing to do nowadays.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Ever have one of those moments where a NIN lyric that you've heard plenty of times before suddenly strikes you and it makes you think "geeze, that's actually really well written"?

Happened to me just now with 'wrap my eyes in bandages, confessions I see through'.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post

Trent should hire this guy for a music video or something. Some of his videos are pretty disturbing.
    That thumbnail looks like Atticus Ross melting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ...and Please, and Everything, and That's What I Get, the only Nin song I actually dislike in any way or hate (HATE) is Getting Smaller,
    even the title is shit, sounds like he's got erection problems
    I didn't think it was possible to have a song ruined twice. First I thought of flip flops, now I think of a limp dick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to have a song ruined twice. First I thought of flip flops, now I think of a limp dick.
    I'm sorry... did you use to like Getting Smaller? lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm sorry... did you use to like Getting Smaller? lol
    . . . I like Getting Smaller

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    . . . I like Getting Smaller
    And that's okay!
    Last edited by botley; 09-03-2015 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post
    LOL! I didn't know deleting tweets was cause for concern.
    In an ideal world I'd have a rolling window of 100 or 1000 tweets and software would auto-delete older ones outside that window. The conversation is over, all they'll do is bite me on the arse otherwise.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Waitaminit. Did people ever actually NOT think about about limp dicks during "Getting Smaller"...?

I mean, there's a pretty blatant element of inefficacy/uselessness couched in homoerotic terminology there. It's so undeniable it's difficult to imagine it wasn't deliberately intentional.

I mean, we ARE talking about the same guy who named his band NINE INCH NAILS, spent his big interview with the men's magazine "Details" talking about making out with his dog and blowing guys, and who's played a song about not even being able to get it up while slathered in vasoline with a burning hot hole right in front of him at every show for twenty years, ffslol.

Jesus, the companion piece for the e.p. named after his e.d. is even called FIXED, people!

"Big Man with a Gun," etc., etc., etc.

Figure it out already.

:P

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I thought it was about his celebrity

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Considering his love/hate relationship with Twitter, this isn't really surprising.
    I can definitely relate to that as well so I could understand why that might be. Perhaps he just wants to start all over, yet keep the same exact Twitter account in tact. I've also been on and off with social media so many times, especially with Facebook and Twitter as of late. It also reminds me of the following lyrics from Wish and The Big Come Down.

"I built it up now I take it apart. Climbed up real high, now fall down real far."

"Try so hard to make the pieces all fit. Smash it apart just for the fuck of it."

A truly extensive/intense love/hate relationship with Twitter or social media in general will eventually/inevitably do it to you, perhaps to some at a much greater/more frequent level/occurrence than others.

-I'm sorry, I was just reminded of that yet again, but a bit late, as I should've posted that sooner.-

Perhaps it's my fondness of hearing and seeing music on tape sometimes, as I still seem to enjoy this video of Came Back Haunted in spite of its actual music video. I also think it's because the circular spinning makes me think of something coming back in the case of things going around and coming around, hence the vicious cycle that is came back haunted.

And now, it makes me imagine how it would've also come across if they made it look like the tape player turned itself on, played itself, stopped itself and then turned itself off as a play on the word haunted. Anyway, I just thought of watching it again, as Hesitation Marks just turned 2 today. I'm still going to ballpark the next album within the next one to three years. We'd be very lucky for an early 2016 release though, but it seems more likely at this rate to have a new album getting released around early 2017 to late 2018.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-03-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Trent Reznor's love/hate relationship with Twitter also reminds me about my love/hate relationship with social media. =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bahahahaha

...sorry, it was the font size

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I thought it was about his celebrity
    I guess I thought I pretty much said that already?

Yeah, I guess "inefficacy/uselessness" was MAYBE a bit too vague...but we ARE talking about the same album Reznor promoted by CONSTANTLY second-guessing and doubting his place in the musical climate of '05, right? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but he mentioned about a THOUSAND times how uncertain he was about Mr. Concept Album transitioning successfully into the age of disposable, single-song downloads, etc. Hence, "Big Man with a Gun" becomes "Getting Smaller" and the sprawling, double-album eccentricity of The Fragile becomes the collection of catchy, radio-friendly songs which is With Teeth. I mean, he DID pretty much say that, didn't he?

And are we just overlooking the fact that this very same statement came preceded by lyrics like "she comes on strong, it makes you hard, you finally found the place where you belong; with teeth" and "I'm trying to fit it all inside, I'm trying to open my mouth wide, I'm trying not to choke inside, I am a big boy and I will swallow it all, swallow it all, swallow it all, swallow it all"...?!?

LOL. I mean, just sayin'!!!

It seemed clear enough to me that he was relating his potential irrelevance to the current musical scene in terms of his vitality and/or mpotence, which is basically a motif spanning his entire career.Curious to hear wtf @eversonpoe was thinking facepalming one statement and liking another saying basically the same thing, btw.

No biggie, though! Just a friendly conversation here.

;)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I guess I thought I pretty much said that already?

Yeah, I guess "inefficacy/uselessness" was MAYBE a bit too vague...but we ARE talking about the same album Reznor promoted by CONSTANTLY second-guessing and doubting his place in the musical climate of '05, right? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but he mentioned about a THOUSAND times how uncertain he was about Mr. Concept Album transitioning successfully into the age of disposable, single-song downloads, etc. Hence, "Big Man with a Gun" becomes "Getting Smaller" and the sprawling, double-album eccentricity of The Fragile becomes the collection of catchy, radio-friendly songs which is With Teeth. I mean, he DID pretty much say that, didn't he?

And are we just overlooking the fact that this very same statement came preceded by lyrics like "she comes on strong, it makes you hard, you finally found the place where you belong; with teeth" and "I'm trying to fit it all inside, I'm trying to open my mouth wide, I'm trying not to choke inside, I am a big boy and I will swallow it all, swallow it all, swallow it all, swallow it all"...?!?

LOL. I mean, just sayin'!!!

It seemed clear enough to me that he was relating his potential irrelevance to the current musical scene in terms of his vitality and/or mpotence, which is basically a motif spanning his entire career.Curious to hear wtf @eversonpoe was thinking facepalming one statement and liking another saying basically the same thing, btw.

No biggie, though! Just a friendly conversation here.

you hadn't said that already. you made a little rant that sounded kind of homophobic and ridiculous, which is why i facepalmed it. also, people take facepalming WAY too seriously.
    @GibbonBlack stated that the song seemed to be more about trent's celebrity status and i agreed with that...why is that confusing?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Jesus, the companion piece for the e.p. named after his e.d. is even called FIXED, people!
    So, does "fixed" mean permanent/staying or cured/gone?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    So, does "fixed" mean permanent/staying or cured/gone?
    I've always thought it was a tongue in cheek title. Broken is, well... broken, and Fixed sounds even more broken with all the fucked up remixes, though it was title Fixed. That's how I've always thought about it in my mind anyway.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Ryan - I've also thought about that too, especially when considering it as a play on words of the following idiom: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

As it's either simply unnecessary to fix something that still works, or that trying to fix something can sometimes actually increase one's problems and even inflict more damage than what already broke it in the first place. I've always enjoyed having that in mind, especially when listening to Fixed right after Broken.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-05-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I always thought it more or less meant "on drugs", literally or metaphorically.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Considering the lyrics suggesting that even "hope and vaseline" couldn't fix his "broken machine, I've always concluded that naming the companion piece Fixed was a deliberate double entendre referencing both repair work and, more cleverly, castration.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Personally, I think "Fixed" was just chosen because it's a word associated with "Broken." I think the other meanings of fixed might have been intentional, but more in a humorous pun sort of way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was actually quite passive about The Line Begins To Blur for a while, but when I seen the BYIT performance,
    especially with the background effect of the cascade coming closer down behind them,
    I just fucking loved the song after that!
    (I bought the dvd in Manchester on its release 27/2/07 after seeing them in the Apollo the night before )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    Personally, I think "Fixed" was just chosen because it's a word associated with "Broken." I think the other meanings of fixed might have been intentional, but more in a humorous pun sort of way.
    I definitely agree, in most senses, it's actually fucked, the record I mean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe Sunspots is the best song from With Teeth.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've become obsessed with the song playing after Reptile in this radio show by Trent, Peter Murphy et al

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I've become obsessed with the song playing after Reptile in this radio show by Trent, Peter Murphy et al
    That's "Haunted When the Minutes Drag" by Love And Rockets

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Listening to my iPod on shuffle. Randy Newman's cover of Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" seemed to fit perfectly after "Perfect Drug" for some reason.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was just thinking about the words Left and Right being used on The Fragile for quite some time again. It made me think about how the Left had mentions of leaving or at the very least the desire to escape or actual things being put away with what was left and/or all that's left, while the Right had mentions of trying to set things right and fix them, and trying to fight for a certain right, even mentally and emotionally, or just to be right as a means to prove something, but eventually failing and setting himself up for more suffering and destruction due to being the fragile or how it sometimes seems like nothing is ever got enough whenever it comes to getting it right. Perhaps it can also be about how his best efforts were also useless at the time. And speaking of the left again, I can see how that word can also apply to loss as well, as things have to be away, taken away or go away to constitute a loss.

This isn't to say that neither are only left to one CD or the other, as both themes are present on both CDs, nor am I trying suggest that these were Trent's actual intentions, but it certainly made me speculate a bit, as I've done with his other releases. And with that particular thought, some lyrics stood out far more than others for me to follow it for the other definitions of the words Left and Right. Anyway, it really just randomly occurred to me though. And if anything, this random thought actually increased my fascination and admiration of The Fragile. That is, aside form my right brain and left brain idea, or how Left and Right are the two sides of Trent Reznor that were broken and split in two as mentioned in Now I'm Nothing and In Two.

And perhaps in some ways, the Left could be about witnessing the destruction until he sees what little is left of him, and the Right is about him trying to pick up the pieces only to witness further destruction in spite of his efforts to make it right, hence leaving him even more discouraged, broken and hopeless. This probably would've also never occurred to me if he simply named the CDs Disc 1 and Disc 2 though, so it still makes me wonder if he had that in mind too.

Left

Somewhat Damaged - Made the choice to go away. / Lost my faith in everything. / This machine is obsolete. / Would always say we'll make it through, then my head fell apart, and where were you? How could I ever think it's funny how everything you swore would never change is different now, like you said, you and me make it through didn't quite, fell apart. Where the fuck were you?

The Day The World Went Away - The day the whole world went away.

The Wretched - The far aways. / You're finally free.

We're In This Together - Well they've got to make it go away. Well they've got to make it disappear.

The Fragile - We'll find a perfect place to go where we can run and hide. We'll build a wall and keep them on the other side.

Even Deeper - Everything that matters is gone. All the hands of hope have withdrawn.

No, You Don't - Teeth in the necks of everyone you know. You can keep on sucking until the blood won't flow. When it starts to hurt it only helps it grow. Taking all you need, but not this time, no you don't.

La Mer - For I am going home.

The Great Below - Makes me disappear.

Right

The Way Out Is Through - All I've undergone, I will keep on.

Into The Void - Tried to save a place from the cuts and the scratches. Tried to overcome the complications and the catches. Nothing ever grows and the sun doesn't shine all day. Tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping away.

Where Is Everybody? - Pleading and needing and bleeding and breeding and feeding, exceeding. / Trying and lying, defying, denying, crying and dying. / Maybe I wish I could try.

Please - Now everything is clear. I erase the fear. / Never be enough to fill me up.

Starfuckers, Inc. - Now I belong. I'm one of the chosen ones. Now I belong. I'm one of the beautiful ones.

I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally - I've done all I can do.

The Big Come Down - There is a game I play. Try to make myself okay. Try so hard to make the pieces all fit. Smash it apart just for the fuck of it. / Try to get back to where I'm from.

Underneath It All - After all I've tried.

@BenAkenobi - And now, after actually taking the time to write all of this, it's probably another reason why you've said this all along in the Hesitation Marks thread.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...238#post247238

I still find it to be very flattering though, and well, thank you, as I was just reminded about that post of yours yet again.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-09-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yeah, the way that the Left disc ends with the "La Mer" and "The Great Below" pairing is like suicidal and wishing for grim death, while the Right side begins with "The Way Out Is Through" is evidence that he stopped himself from ending it and is clawing his way back up.

It's interesting that you bring that up right now, because just the other day I was realizing how the lyrics to "La Mer" are just dark as fuck (reappraised in context of how TR went on to state that he wrote it while in a suicidal headspace) and how "The Way Out Is Through" has such a hopeful couplet in "all I've undergone, I will keep on" as a stark contrast to that.