Page 439 of 439 FirstFirst ... 339 389 429 437 438 439
Results 13,141 to 13,158 of 13158

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    How am I now only hearing this song?? Jesus it's like PHM's long lost twin.

Sister Machine Gun - Sins of the Flesh

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I wonder which tracks on Still are Fragile outtakes then?
    Hard to say. "Adrift And At Peace" seems possible since Trent mentioned that it serves as a conclusion to La Mer. My guess is that the other instrumentals were pieces that evolved from the aborted One Hour Photo score.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I wonder which tracks on Still are Fragile outtakes then?
    Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow spotify is hitting me with NIN style songs today; and some similarities....

FRONT 242 - Tragedy >For You<

SOUNDS LIKE

'Happiness In Slavery - Remix' (Fixed) starting at 1:50
    Last edited by snaapz; 08-16-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake
    Hillebrandt is listed for tdtwwa which was recorded in 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My YT page had this today and thought it was cool:

https://imgur.com/a/31VB616

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Can't wait for a Still reissue remaster so I can make my own Fragile expanded. Also need Things Falling Apart reissued and remastered.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Hillebrandt is listed on every Still song for programming. There's no way to differentiate the chronology from the album credits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Hillebrandt is listed on every Still song for programming. There's no way to differentiate the chronology from the album credits.
    There was a Direct TV interview from 2002. I thought it was in that interview where he mentioned recording it after the tour. I skimmed through it on YouTube, but didnít hear that part. Does that sound familiar to anyone else? I feel like it was longer when I saw it originally than what is on YouTube.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Hillebrandt is also on Deep, fwiw

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.
    Last edited by botley; 08-17-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.
    i had that same thought and then never got around to investigating it so THANK YOU!!!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    you are a gentleman & a scholar.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    oh my fucking GOD

He used the saxophone for every kind of weird sounds. Like in Eraser; all the sound effects were created by breathing into the mouthpiece of a sax. Trent even did this live when they performed TDS in full.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Maybe, in the end, the real Bad Witch is dat saaaax.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    oh my fucking GOD

He used the saxophone for every kind of weird sounds. Like in Eraser; all the sound effects were created by breathing into the mouthpiece of a sax. Trent even did this live when they performed TDS in full.
    I always pictured him making the Eraser sucking sounds with a straw, a mouthpiece of a sax makes more sense.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    I always pictured him making the Eraser sucking sounds with a straw, a mouthpiece of a sax makes more sense.
    We all thought it was a straw (check the old versions of the Eraser article on nin.wiki), but then Trent proved us all wrong with that live performance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    We all thought it was a straw (check the old versions of the Eraser article on nin.wiki), but then Trent proved us all wrong with that live performance.
    The straw sound isn't the same as what he does with the sax. The bug noises are sax, the straw noises we still don't know. They play them pre-recorded live.