Page 439 of 439 FirstFirst ... 339 389 429 437 438 439
Results 13,141 to 13,158 of 13158

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

  1. #13141
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    How am I now only hearing this song?? Jesus it's like PHM's long lost twin.

    Sister Machine Gun - Sins of the Flesh

  2. #13142
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,443
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I wonder which tracks on Still are Fragile outtakes then?
    Hard to say. "Adrift And At Peace" seems possible since Trent mentioned that it serves as a conclusion to La Mer. My guess is that the other instrumentals were pieces that evolved from the aborted One Hour Photo score.

  3. #13143
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I wonder which tracks on Still are Fragile outtakes then?
    Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake

  4. #13144
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow spotify is hitting me with NIN style songs today; and some similarities....


    FRONT 242 - Tragedy >For You<

    SOUNDS LIKE

    'Happiness In Slavery - Remix' (Fixed) starting at 1:50
    Last edited by snaapz; 08-16-2018 at 12:38 PM.

  5. #13145
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,627
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake
    Hillebrandt is listed for tdtwwa which was recorded in 2000

  6. #13146
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My YT page had this today and thought it was cool:

    https://imgur.com/a/31VB616

  7. #13147
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    2,735
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Can't wait for a Still reissue remaster so I can make my own Fragile expanded. Also need Things Falling Apart reissued and remastered.

  8. #13148
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    canaderp
    Posts
    1,421
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake
    Hillebrandt is listed on every Still song for programming. There's no way to differentiate the chronology from the album credits.

  9. #13149
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Hillebrandt is listed on every Still song for programming. There's no way to differentiate the chronology from the album credits.
    There was a Direct TV interview from 2002. I thought it was in that interview where he mentioned recording it after the tour. I skimmed through it on YouTube, but didnít hear that part. Does that sound familiar to anyone else? I feel like it was longer when I saw it originally than what is on YouTube.

  10. #13150
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,627
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Hillebrandt is also on Deep, fwiw

  11. #13151
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,365
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.
    Last edited by botley; 08-17-2018 at 11:02 AM.

  12. #13152
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,448
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.
    i had that same thought and then never got around to investigating it so THANK YOU!!!

  13. #13153
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    2,534
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.
    you are a gentleman & a scholar.

  14. #13154
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.
    oh my fucking GOD

    He used the saxophone for every kind of weird sounds. Like in Eraser; all the sound effects were created by breathing into the mouthpiece of a sax. Trent even did this live when they performed TDS in full.

  15. #13155
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,365
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Maybe, in the end, the real Bad Witch is dat saaaax.

  16. #13156
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    oh my fucking GOD

    He used the saxophone for every kind of weird sounds. Like in Eraser; all the sound effects were created by breathing into the mouthpiece of a sax. Trent even did this live when they performed TDS in full.
    I always pictured him making the Eraser sucking sounds with a straw, a mouthpiece of a sax makes more sense.

  17. #13157
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    I always pictured him making the Eraser sucking sounds with a straw, a mouthpiece of a sax makes more sense.
    We all thought it was a straw (check the old versions of the Eraser article on nin.wiki), but then Trent proved us all wrong with that live performance.

  18. #13158
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    We all thought it was a straw (check the old versions of the Eraser article on nin.wiki), but then Trent proved us all wrong with that live performance.
    The straw sound isn't the same as what he does with the sax. The bug noises are sax, the straw noises we still don't know. They play them pre-recorded live.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions