Page 432 of 528 FirstFirst ... 332 382 422 430 431 432 433 434 442 482 ... LastLast
Results 12,931 to 12,960 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Did you know that the drum beats on Saul Williams' Convict Colony were performed by Dave Grohl? CX Kidtronik says so on his Instagram. I've added this info on the song's NINwiki page.
    I wonder if there's any other BTS footage from when they were making that album. Would love to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Try Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven, which TR himself referenced before Bleedthrough wasn't released.

I also really enjoyed Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age when I read it a few years ago (Snow Crash is also great). This may not be quite what you're after.

Stepping even further out of the box, Iain M Banks' Use Of Weapons comes to mind.

There's another one that's interesting too but I can't quite remember it now.

Basically, look at lists of the best sci-fi dystopian novels. You're sure to find something. The obvious ones are things like Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, 1984, stuff like that.
    I haven't read some of them, so I have something to do. Thank you.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karmachiale View Post

Thank you for reply. I know field is pretty wide here and I don't want to give unnecessarily narrow explenation
    . Themes like achieving new perspective, our society's level, simulation, non-importance of things we see importance in, etc. I am actually openminded and interested in possible ways of interpreting of that question. unnecessarily narrow explanation
    i would read some Ursula K Leguin (whose book "the lathe of heaven" was the original inspiration for "bleedthrough", which later became "with teeth", but some of its concepts seem to have made their way into the trilogy)

edit: @katara beat me to it

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karmachiale View Post
    I haven't read some of them, so I have something to do. Thank you.
    No problem!

Just in case you missed my edit above, the book I couldn't remember is The Peripheral by William Gibson.

But I'm unsure most of these suggestions truly align themselves with the completely frustrated, disaffected, fragmented state of mind we see in the Trilogy. It's unstable in a way these novels are not.
    I almost feel that there should be a different book for each song.
    Last edited by katara; 07-15-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i have seen alot of love for The Lovers, This isn't the Place and The Background World, even Less Than gets some love around here but never read anyone saying nice things about Not Anymore.
    is this a thing? or did i imagine it....

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    You imagined it. There have been a ton of posts praising that song and people wanting to hear it live. I also remember reading posts liking it b/c its the heaviest song of all the new releases.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Not Anymore is a great new song and not just because it's so heavy (but that's definitely a plus). Creepy lyrics with a great hook, insane/emotional chorus, NIN exploring new sounds but recalling TDS sound/vibes. Would kick ass live.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I also remember reading posts liking it b/c its the heaviest song of all the new releases.

“The Idea Of You” would like to have a word with, uhhh, you? I think Shit Mirror is heavier as well. Not Anymore is good though, and a bit on the heavier side.

Just realized the songs from the Trilogy I like the most arent getting much love. :/

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Hasn't been said in a little while, so I thought I'd just remind everyone. Woodstock '94, from the second Larry Bud Melman stops talking (:55 below) to roughly 5 and a half minutes later, is the greatest, most intense NIN intro, and possibly greatest intro any band has had, ever. From the first few moments of blackness & confusion, to when Pinion kicks in and then lurches slower and more and more evil, to when Trent finally emerges on his hands and knees covered in mud & then sarcastically jaunts toward the mic in his Jesus Christ pose...nothing can match it. Arriving like that, on that festival's stage, with the world's focus squarely on them that night of the weekend...made them so intriguing & dangerous.

And then look at this monster setlist:
    yesssss dude. Dangerous is the word.
    That's what I miss about seeing NIN in 94 and 95, and NIN in general back then.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Woodstock '94, ...nothing can match it.
    Yes, always worth bringing up now and again. I'd just got into NIN in the pre-TDS period, but I'm pretty sure it was a ropey VHS copy of this that came from a friend of a friend who had the appropriate cable connections that really cemented my love for the band. Always feel kind of stupid for not actually making it to a 90s NIN show, but there you go... the follies of youth.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Woodstock '94 really was something else. This post-gig photo pretty much persuaded me to check out the music of NIN:

I had no idea what they sounded like, or even which one of them was Trent Reznor. I assumed it was Robin, cause he looked the most like a frontman here. But the implied danger and intensity in that photo roped me in and made me check out a couple of songs, after which there was no return. I still think it's the best photo of any of the live bands.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Wasn't Robin working on a solo album like five years ago or so? C'mon man, we need it.
    Jumping a Shit Mirror vocals appreciation bandwagon here.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Watching The Lovers live, I noticed that I think there's kind of a musical callback to closer in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The ending of Not Anymore..... holy fuck

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Shit Mirror live gets a lot of well-deserved love these days, but one moment from the 2017-2018 touring cycle that I love equally is Trent’s scream during Reptile at Panorama.

Holy fuck, does it sound like he’s channeling all his pain into it. It’s not a particularly long or loud scream, but the way his voice breaks is so powerful and intense. It never fails to send shivers down my spine. There’s so much anger and hurt in that scream.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Shit Mirror live gets a lot of well-deserved love these days, but one moment from the 2017-2018 touring cycle that I love equally is Trent’s scream during Reptile at Panorama.

Holy fuck, does it sound like he’s channeling all his pain into it. It’s not a particularly long or loud scream, but the way his voice breaks is so powerful and intense. It never fails to send shivers down my spine. There’s so much anger and hurt in that scream.

Yep, this is fucking intense.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I think Gary Numan likes NIN’s version of “Metal” more than his own.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddamash View Post
    I think Gary Numan likes NIN’s version of “Metal” more than his own.
    it's more in-line with his current style of music than the original version, for sure. i also prefer the NIN version, but in the context of "the pleasure principle", the original is perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    No problem!

Just in case you missed my edit above, the book I couldn't remember is The Peripheral by William Gibson.

But I'm unsure most of these suggestions truly align themselves with the completely frustrated, disaffected, fragmented state of mind we see in the Trilogy. It's unstable in a way these novels are not.
    I almost feel that there should be a different book for each song.
    William Gibson! I totally forgot of him. I read Neoromancer so long ago and never looked up for his other books. Thank you!!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    so the northwest got shafted altogether on the upcoming tour, but tennessee alone got two shows? fuck off with that noise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    so the northwest got shafted altogether on the upcoming tour, but tennessee alone got two shows? fuck off with that noise.
    2014 - August 29, Ridgefield, WA; August 30, Auburn, WA
    2013 - November 18, Portland, OR; November 19, Spokane, WA; November 21, Vancouver, BC; November 22, Seattle, WA

Do you want to compare notes with the upper plains/midwest?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    2014 - August 29, Ridgefield, WA; August 30, Auburn, WA
    2013 - November 18, Portland, OR; November 19, Spokane, WA; November 21, Vancouver, BC; November 22, Seattle, WA

Do you want to compare notes with the upper plains/midwest?
    you mean the dakotas? no one lives there. that's like wondering why there have never been shows in wyoming.

a seattle or portland show would have sold just as well as any other stop. and there are plenty of theaters where this tour would've fit in perfectly.
    Last edited by kel; 07-17-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    There's some decent gaps in between some of the dates already listed. I wouldn't be surprised if they add a date or two for the northwest part of the country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you mean the dakotas? no one lives there. that's like wondering why there have never been shows in wyoming.

a seattle or portland show would have sold just as well as any other stop. and there are plenty of theaters where this tour would've fit in perfectly.
    MN, WI, IA, ND, SD, NE, KS, MO

Add 'em up...I'll wait.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    MN, WI, IA, ND, SD, NE, KS, MO

Add 'em up...I'll wait.
    i don't know what you're asking me to do, but i'm not going to. and your insistence is weird.

i hope broswell is right.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I fucking need a Kansas City date so bad. The first time I got to see NIN was in 2006, and currently this is the longest stretch (5 years) I've gone yet without seeing NIN live and it's driving me insane. I honestly don't see why they didn't get booked at the Midland. They could easily have sold out two nights there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i don't know what you're asking me to do, but i'm not going to. and your insistence is weird.

i hope broswell is right.
    As a frequent complainer about tour routing, I'm the first to commiserate with folks. But take anything other than a very short view of things (i.e., look rearward beyond this fall's schedule a bit), and the Pacific Northwest has been fairly well served. Lots of us in flyover country would probably agree.

For the record, we should all stop a moment to appreciate that LITS was incredible in its coverage, hitting many mid-market venues and setting an impossibly high bar. Much slimmer pickings ever since. Tension was decent, NIN/SG abysmal.

In other words, have compassion.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I'll just sit over here in Buffalo where he hasn't played since 99... where the closest regular stop is in a country they're not playing in at all this year... some of us have never seen NIN in our home state

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I'll just sit over here in Buffalo where he hasn't played since 99... where the closest regular stop is in a country they're not playing in at all this year... some of us have never seen NIN in our home state
    They have played in SD twice, once in 1995 in Sioux Falls, and the other in 2008 in Rapid City, which is on the other side of the state so I ended up going to Council Bluffs instead.

I was 12 years old in 1995 and was just barely starting to get into music, so yea

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Consider African NIN fans, never had a concert in the entire CONTINENT