Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Really enjoying the Panorama webcast today; 'Less Than' is the mashing of 'Copy' and 'Hand that Feeds.' Ground-breaking it is not but frankly a band has to bring the bangers. This is kind of similarity is fine from my critical perspective as long as tracks like 'This isn't the Place' explore odd timing and keyboard textures.

YouTube commenters point out that Ross is adding details to things like the coda of 'Pigs.' Something sounding fresher, this must be it. Also a subtle surprise- the Closer piano coda with the meek, falsetto chorus is new and nicely done. I saw 'Copy' during the Tension Tour, this version has muscular drum fills, different delays on the vocal and lacks for sleekness, but its now rock and not minimal techno. Still think single edits of this one and 'Low' could've been radio hits.

'Gave Up' is ending and the band is getting free with the noise. Being a viewer of hundreds of noise shows and auxillary (Sp) player in a couple acts, I fully support NIN extending this kind of coda for minutes more.

Gorgeous cover of Bowie. Seems like 'Lovers' will replace 'Find my Way' as the weirdly IDM-influenced ballad. Wish (ahem) that a different dirge would replace 'Reptile,' never been a fan. 'She's Gone Away' would sound great in its place. Hopefully I will experience 'Burning Bright' on an amphitheater scale soundsystem someday, its an arena rock song congealed in Sludge metal (a la the Body). I find it very uplifting.

Back to the show
    Last edited by SarahConnor; 09-04-2017 at 01:49 PM.