Page 105 of 527 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 205 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

I just listened to Broken again and I'm not having any of the issues described above. Maybe it's a little quieter than the shittily mastered albums today, but that's why we have volume controls. I don't find myself having to constantly adjust it, either.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You say that like it's a BAD thing!
    Of course not. I like buzz saws and pissed off cats — though I keep a safe distance from both.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I get it, you grew up with it, etc., so then you won't listen to the remastered one, great for you. No one said it shouldn't be rough, or raw, but don't try to tell me it can't use some polish after MORE THAN 20 YEARS.
    Hey, I never even heard it before 2008!

I gave it another listen last night because of this thread, and I can't hear the problems you're talking about.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I get it, you grew up with it, etc., so then you won't listen to the remastered one, great for you. No one said it shouldn't be rough, or raw, but don't try to tell me it can't use some polish after MORE THAN 20 YEARS. Last is the only song from Broken I dare to show the album version of it to others, because it actually sounds fine (except within the album itself). I have to basically deny that Gave Up (album v.) even exists. "Hey dude, here's Gave Up, that sounds NOTHING like the live version, barely audible, sounds like it's poorly mixed, but ya know, that's the beauty of it!!!4!!!! It's shitty for a reason, therefor it's ART!!" ... Please...
    i think it's totally fine that you don't like Broken and don't think that anyone should say that you're wrong for not liking it. but, from what you're saying, it sounds like you're either not really understanding remastering or not really understanding the album. being that you are claiming that you never listened to the album all the way through other than possibly when you watched the broken movie, don't you think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that you don't understand the album?

EDIT: awesome. this thread turned into a Broken listening party. thanks, Volband!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Now that I think of it, it took me a lot longer to get into The Fragile than Broken. Broken was my second-ever NIN purchase, but I still don't own a copy of TF (I just stream it).

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I still don't own a copy of TF (I just stream it).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Now that I think of it, it took me a lot longer to get into The Fragile than Broken.
    Same here. I rarely listen to TF and, when I do, I only listen to the Right CD.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-03-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I actually like it when Broken gets discussed more and more as it sometimes seems to be overlooked depending on which NIN fans you speak to in real life. And aside from CDs in general being tougher than ever to find these days, I sometimes don't see Broken in stock, and seem to see the remastered version of Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and With Teeth the most. Even And All That Could Have Been (Live) seemed easier to find at some point.

Oh, and speaking of which, the remasters of both The Downward Spiral and With Teeth have become a whole lot harder to find, or just impossible to find as well. (I'm talking about looking for brand new CDs at stores in real life. Thank goodness for the likes of Amazon.com though.)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Oh, and speaking of which, the remasters of both The Downward Spiral and With Teeth have become a whole lot harder to find, or just impossible to find as well. (I'm talking about looking for brand new CDs at stores in real life. Thank goodness for the likes of Amazon.com though.)
    What? When was With Teeth remastered? It isn't even ten years old yet

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Wouldn't the DualDisc sort of count in a way? Perhaps I should've worded that differently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Wouldn't the DualDisc sort of count in a way? Perhaps I should've worded that differently.
    I wouldn't call that a remaster. The 5.1 mix is it's own thing.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Oh, sorry, my mistake.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Now that I think of it, it took me a lot longer to get into The Fragile than Broken. Broken was my second-ever NIN purchase, but I still don't own a copy of TF (I just stream it).
    Holy damnit christmas what is your address I'll mail you a fucking copy how can you not own that beauty I khfbefewkefhb foaming at the mouth.
    Disclaimer: I don't have the money to buy and mail you, or anybody, a copy. But really. Go buy that beauty.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Joy Prevention Hotline - I'd certainly second that, and you'd be in luck, considering how it's actually $16.50 at Amazon.com right now. And even with shipping and handling, it's still a bit of steal when compared to how much it used to cost as a brand new copy in Amazon.com and just about anywhere else. To think that Best Buy used to, and still charges $24.99 for The Fragile. (And plus tax, you'd know that you'd have to have a $20.00 bill and a $10.00 bill with you at the time, as I've bought The Fragile as a present a few times in the past.)

http://www.amazon.com/Fragile-Nine-I...ine+Inch+Nails

But of course, you don't have to... but I'll still say that's around the sweetest price to pay for a brand new copy of The Fragile. (I'm sorry, I just really wanted to use that pun as soon as it came to me.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-03-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Am I the only one disappointed by the YouTube/Vevo route for the LA show? Wanted a full 28 track, 5.1 experience preferably on BluRay...still lap it up obviously!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    i think it's totally fine that you don't like Broken and don't think that anyone should say that you're wrong for not liking it. but, from what you're saying, it sounds like you're either not really understanding remastering or not really understanding the album. being that you are claiming that you never listened to the album all the way through other than possibly when you watched the broken movie, don't you think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that you don't understand the album?

EDIT: awesome. this thread turned into a Broken listening party. thanks, Volband!
    I guess what I meant was re-issue, but didn't want to use that word because I've heard manmy reissues that sound exactly the same as the older material... then again, I might talk about re-release now, so I'm lost.

At the heart of it all, all I meant was a Broken which is louder. I don't mind if Last still makes my ears bleed, or Gave Up is more quiet than HIS.

I very very very rarely listen to any album (whether NIN or not) from start to finish anyway, and I guess you are right, I might never understood what Broken is. I like the songs individually, and the one I don't like (I don't consider Physical an actual Broken song) I don't even listen to - I guess my homework for the weekend is to settle this issue once and for all with Help Me I'm In Hell -, but I never really felt an actual story behind it. The emphasis is on felt.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    LMFAO!

In my defense, by the time I'd decided I liked both discs, Trent was talking about remastering it so I decided to wait. Still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Same here. I rarely listen to TF and, when I do, I only listen to the Right CD.
    LEFT.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I guess my homework for the weekend is to settle this issue once and for all with Help Me I'm In Hell -, but I never really felt an actual story behind it. The emphasis is on felt.
    I don't know about a story, but to me it foreshadows TDS.

It's the sound of doom.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I very very very rarely listen to any album (whether NIN or not) from start to finish anyway, and I guess you are right, I might never understood what Broken is. I like the songs individually, and the one I don't like (I don't consider Physical an actual Broken song) I don't even listen to - I guess my homework for the weekend is to settle this issue once and for all with Help Me I'm In Hell -, but I never really felt an actual story behind it. The emphasis is on felt.
    A bit offtopic maybe, but this is one of the many reasons I feel digital downloads will always be a weaker way of releasing music - people are no longer obliged to listen to tracks in order, or even to listen to all the tracks period. Vinyl (and to some extent cassette and CD) encourage listeners to sit through an entire record and let tracks grow on them, let listeners feel their way deeper into the music. Artists seem less willing to put out 20 second instrumental tracks and the like onto records because people can now opt-out of them.

Also, Physical and Suck aren't Broken tracks, technically. Both were recorded for promo release that never happened a couple years earlier, and both are covers, though Suck was still co-written by Trent.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I'm guessing, quite wildly, that it's the reason for the 91 silent tracks gap, to actually differentiate the two entities, and not break the mood built by the actual EP...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm guessing, quite wildly, that it's the reason for the 91 silent tracks gap, to actually differentiate the two entities, and not break the mood built by the actual EP...
    Yup, originally on its own disc packaged with the EP but that was a bit too costly. Now it'd be iTunes bonus tracks exclusive to Japan if they pre ordered or something.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Interesting - one of the ways I try to make sure I listen to an album back to front is to randomise the songs.

Take Hesitation Marks. I listened to it all the way through a few times to understand the album, then I listened to it on shuffle to hear the tracks as individual pieces of music and focus more clearly on them, i.e. not let them "wash" over me or get distracted.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Yup, originally on its own disc packaged with the EP but that was a bit too costly. Now it'd be iTunes bonus tracks exclusive to Japan if they pre ordered or something.
    besides cost, it was a limited run for the mini-disc release anyway.

they still feel entirely part of the EP though, besides sounding the same. TR could easily have sequenced them in between the regular six tracks and they would have worked well (which isn't to say i don't understand why he kept them separate — ultimately a smart decision, i think).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Listening to an album is important to me, at least when I familiarize myself with new album/band. Music is mostly released in such way for a reason.
    If the songs make sense apart from each other, it will be obvious after few listens. If they don't, you'll at least know why, without being told by someone else or some article.
    I rarely ever listen to music on shuffle. The collection is way too big and the shuffled playlist goes in every direction with every next song, it's annoying. If I do, I find myself sometimes skipping 20-30 song before I finally settle on one.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I wouldn't call that a remaster. The 5.1 mix is it's own thing.
    I need to check which With Teeth I own. I have the original uk cd with the Home etc as bonus, i have this plan when my kids are a bit older and I'm back working and we have a joint income, to convert a room into a listening / tv and gaming room with surround sound speakers and a decent stereo, would love to hear all these 5.1 (or 7.1 whatever) mixes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Interesting - one of the ways I try to make sure I listen to an album back to front is to randomise the songs.

Take Hesitation Marks. I listened to it all the way through a few times to understand the album, then I listened to it on shuffle to hear the tracks as individual pieces of music and focus more clearly on them, i.e. not let them "wash" over me or get distracted.
    This is exactly what I do too. Makes perfect sense.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I need to check which With Teeth I own. I have the original uk cd with the Home etc as bonus, i have this plan when my kids are a bit older and I'm back working and we have a joint income, to convert a room into a listening / tv and gaming room with surround sound speakers and a decent stereo, would love to hear all these 5.1 (or 7.1 whatever) mixes
    The unofficial Ghosts 5.1 is the best of the bunch for me...both visually and sonically, could listen to it all day, and it's one of my less favoured albums now....
    Last edited by simonn; 12-04-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I've thought about doing that a few times but haven't actually got around to it yet.

I used to be absurdly careful about keeping tracks that run together (like Pinion/Wish/Last) in a single mp3 file so I could shuffle them without losing the relationships. I even did that with albums I downloaded from Amazon or iTunes. But it was time consuming, which is why I never finished ripping all my CDs before I stuffed them in the basement.

And of course I have no control over that at all with Spotify, so I just turn on crossfading and leave it at that. Makes me feel like a slacker.

I kept the track numbering when I ripped Broken into iTunes. But I did leave out the silent tracks, because I'm not that weird.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Imagine A Violet Fluid segueing into My Violent Heart live...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This Broken talk has got me thinking... Do the people who say "it's not mixed well, it sounds too dirty..." ever read the story about the album?
    I mean, I got nothing on Fixed, it IS confusing to hear...
    But Broken was supposed to sound harsh, and to have lots of hidden bits of melodies buried under the mix that even Trent said "You'll hear maybe the 5th or 10th time hearing it... or maybe you won't even hear it."

I think it's a great album... It's incredible to think that it was a Fuck You to TVT