Page 406 of 528 FirstFirst ... 306 356 396 404 405 406 407 408 416 456 506 ... LastLast
Results 12,151 to 12,180 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I really like The Hand That Feeds. It was one of the first NIN songs I ever heard (Thanks alot Rock Band) and I honestly can't listen to it much anymore because the fan reaction to it at this point bums me out. I mean, I shouldn't let others dictate my enjoyment of something but it's just something that happens I guess.
    THTF, Discipline and the like are catchy, straightforward songs that are a pleasure to listen to, even if they are certainly not the greatest among NIN's catalog..

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Talk of The Slip on here reminded me how much I love Echoplex. I was listening to it today while ironing and some of the lyrics like. ‘You will never ever ever get to me in here’ and my voice just echoes off these walls seem similar to the themes of the EPs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Talk of The Slip on here reminded me how much I love Echoplex. I was listening to it today while ironing and some of the lyrics like. ‘You will never ever ever get to me in here’ and my voice just echoes off these walls seem similar to the themes of the EPs
    Also Head Down "And this is not my face and this is not my life, and there is not a single thing here I can recognize, this is all a dream and none of you are real".
    Last edited by mauro995; 03-12-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

But... you aren't meant to be doing the ironing while listening to it, you are meant to be staring at the fucking wall, distracted by exactly nothing in a soundproof room.

Otherwise you aren't enough of a superfan to truly appreciate it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Case in point:

Almost entire first minute of "And All That Could Have Been"

The middle section of title track "With_Teeth"

The middle section of "Various Methods Of Escape"

The middle section/bridge section of "In Two", its opening also counts.

Pinion's beginning can be heard very hardly in noisy places.

Pretty much entirety of "Another Version Of The Truth" especially towards its end.

A lot of "Find My Way" falls into this.

As does "While I'm Still Here"

Any idea how you miss out with "This Isn't The Place" in crowded places? Albeit it gets louder as it goes on.

"The Way Out Is Through" mostly until its end

Lesson learned? NIN music wasn't made in made to be listened to "on-the-go" or whatever. Lighs In The Sky indeed isn't a good "radio" or "headphone in public" song, but a lot of NIN songs aren't, NIN albums were always at their best when they are paid full attention to, preferably at peace at one's home.

Btw, I am not sure if this goes for everyone, but listening to NIN on a phone takes nothing out of the experience, for me personally at least. Intended/unintended or not, doesn't mean you can't have great results even with the means the artist may not have suspected, I assume results vary from person to person. But I find myself enjoying NIN entire albums even in the most crowded of places.

If song or its section is too quiet, i just bring up the volume.

I just hope I didn't come off as someone who'd be lecturing people how to listen to music or something.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I really like The Hand That Feeds. It was one of the first NIN songs I ever heard (Thanks alot Rock Band) and I honestly can't listen to it much anymore because the fan reaction to it at this point bums me out. I mean, I shouldn't let others dictate my enjoyment of something but it's just something that happens I guess.
    I can definitely relate to this as it's also affected me on a subconscious and unintentional level when it came to entertainment in general as well. In hindsight, in spite of how important it is to be open-minded to differing opinions, sometimes you just got to see what works or doesn't work for you and you alone.

It really was no wonder why it lead me to ask questions as to whether or not I liked or followed something just because of the approval and admiration of others, or if I avoided or even just gave up on something just because of the overall rejection and disappointment of others. (It could be a bit of an ego thing for all I know too. I don't mean to speak for others, but that's what I've always felt and thought about it too.)

Granted, I could see why there would be tons of factors to ruin it too, for whatever reason.

In hindsight though, it certainly helped me realize that I end up surprising myself in enjoying things I probably would've enjoyed a long time ago, should I had not have been steered by the opinions of others in any way, shape or form, negative or positive. I figured it would also be a very good thing to be mindful of, even beyond the realm of entertainment.

As for The Hand That Feeds, I still like for what it is as well. Much to my surprise, I have also re-watched the actual music video a lot more than I thought I would.

@elevenism @Prettybrokenspiral - I just thought of mentioning the both of you, since we were just talking about this.

Echoplex is still my most favorite song from The Slip, as it's often, if not always my go-to song on The Slip. Demon Seed has also been getting a lot more plays as of late too.

Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    Also Head Down "And this is not my face and this is not my life, and there is not a single thing here I can recognize, this is all a dream and none of you are real".
    Thank you for reminding me about this as well. That's what also came to mind when I first listened to Not The Actual Events.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-13-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    For us Amerrkins:

5:30pm GMT
    1:30pm East
    10:30pm West
    10.30am west

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    10.30am west
    <thumbs up>

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    How does a Yankee stream something like this in real time?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    How does a Yankee stream something like this in real time?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The TuneIn Radio app streams BBC Radio 6 Music pretty well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Has the interview happened already?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Man, the comments on that AV Club post are hilarious. A bunch of people complaining about the NTAE PC, several thinking it was a CD package, and all complaining about the black powder.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Even Trent is admitting that he was forcing things on Add Violence. That EP is fine, but the only song on it that struck me as having any substantial thought put into it was Less Than. The Lovers, TINTP and Not Anymore all sound like they were banged out over a lunch break.

I definitely want to hear the 3rd EP, but at this point I’m way more interested in the new film scores they’re working on..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Even Trent is admitting that he was forcing things on Add Violence. That EP is fine, but the only song on it that struck me as having any substantial thought put into it was Less Than. The Lovers, TINTP and Not Anymore all sound like they were banged out over a lunch break.

I definitely want to hear the 3rd EP, but at this point I’m way more interested in the new film scores they’re working on..
    I'm not a native speaker, but that's not how I interpret what he said at all. If I heard it right, he described the situation they found themselves in AFTER they began the production of the third ep.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Even Trent is admitting that he was forcing things on Add Violence.
    That's not what he said at all.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Is it just me or does it sound like a younger Trent in the pre-chorus of My Violent Heart? It's always been strange to me. He sounds like his current self in that song and through the album but at that exact moment it's like TDS/Fragile Era Trent shows up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Made this playlist on my phone with some of the new songs and some old ones with the Year Zero and life-inside-a-dream- theme and it works great for me. All the tracks even segue each other great without the need of crossfades. Hope you like it.

1- Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
    2- The Lovers
    3- Less Than
    4- Not Anymore
    5- Me I'm Not
    6- Dear World,
    7- The Warning
    8- Head Down
    9- The Idea of You
    10- Another Version of the Truth
    11- This Isn't The Place
    12- The Line Begins To Blur
    13- Beside You In Time
    14- Right Where It Belongs

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    Made this playlist on my phone with some of the new songs and some old ones with the Year Zero and life-inside-a-dream- theme and it works great for me. All the tracks even segue each other great without the need of crossfades. Hope you like it.

1- Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
    2- The Lovers
    3- Less Than
    4- Not Anymore
    5- Me I'm Not
    6- Dear World,
    7- The Warning
    8- Head Down
    9- The Idea of You
    10- Another Version of the Truth
    11- This Isn't The Place
    12- The Line Begins To Blur
    13- Beside You In Time
    14- Right Where It Belongs
    Definitely going to assemble this playlist myself and give it a listen. I'm constantly amused or intrigued by the way different songs segue when I have my library playing on shuffle.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    The end of June means the end of Soon for the new EP

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The end of June means the end of Soon for the new EP

“Third ep” is the new “soon”.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Just curious, but what is everyone's favorite use of the "swarm guitar" effect that has been used in various tracks in recent years?

For those unfamiliar, it's this sound:

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Just curious, but what is everyone's favorite use of the "swarm guitar" effect that has been used in various tracks in recent years?

I definitely know the sound, but what album tracks use it? I know it appears a lot on the scores.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I've revisited NTAE and AV, and I like them both a whole hell of a lot more now.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I definitely know the sound, but what album tracks use it? I know it appears a lot on the scores.
    HTDA

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    HTDA

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    it's also in a few places on ghosts and the fragile

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post

So THAT'S what that term refers to. I like the ambient feel it gives off, and I love it's use on Disappointed.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's on a lot of songs on TSN, too. I guess, it must have been around 2009/10, when they aquired the Swarmatron. It's been prominently shown in the teaser video for BBB from HTDA's first ep.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    To be clear, I'm talking about the "swarm guitar" effect, not the Swarmatron. It's that whooshing, shrieking, swarm of bees guitar sound. A more recent example can be heard in the second half of "Less Than".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I love it in Almost Home on TSN score.