Page 433 of 527 FirstFirst ... 333 383 423 431 432 433 434 435 443 483 ... LastLast
Results 12,961 to 12,990 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Whenever I mentioned NIN to someone in Egypt, they looked at me like they thought I was nuts. Big upbeat dance music scene over there.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I had a big discussion on Facebook with a bunch of my cousin's 20 year old friends about whether or not NIN is "relevant." ( They think it isn't of course.)
    But they haven't heard much of it.
    And I showed this one kid The Becoming. I think it traumatized him, he was like "yeah, yeah I can definitely hear the complexity of that. It's definitely brilliant. But JESUS dude, how can you listen to that on a regular basis. I'm not sure I ever want to hear it again."
    Lololol

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The becoming is not an everyday song, that's for sure. Eraser/Reptile/The downward spiral, on the other hand...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I had a big discussion on Facebook with a bunch of my cousin's 20 year old friends about whether or not NIN is "relevant." ( They think it isn't of course.)
    And I showed this one kid The Becoming. I think it traumatized him, he was like "yeah, yeah I can definitely hear the complexity of that. It's definitely brilliant. But JESUS dude, how can you listen to that on a regular basis. I'm not sure I ever want to hear it again."
    Lololol
    You should play him the Still performance session of The Becoming to give him an appreciation of the song without all the extra layers and industrial noise

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Less Likely from the Vietnam score is just such a beautiful piece of music in its own right. Reminds me of Autumn (fall) which happens to be my favourite time of year...it's up there with the stuff off of Still for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Robin on Shit Mirror's vocals is absolutely amazing.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Just discovered something weird. I was listening to a rip of Side B of the NTAE vinyl, and Reptile comes on (in reverse). At the end of the quiet break in the song, there's an ascending chord progression that sounds almost orchestral. Reversed, this (descending) chord progression is actually more-or-less identical to a motif in The Great Below and And All That Could Have Been.

You can hear this in the below video, starting at about 11:53:

Might be nothing, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I fucking need a Kansas City date so bad. The first time I got to see NIN was in 2006, and currently this is the longest stretch (5 years) I've gone yet without seeing NIN live and it's driving me insane. I honestly don't see why they didn't get booked at the Midland. They could easily have sold out two nights there.
    The Midland and Starlight are my favorite venues in KC, got NIN at Starlight once. I missed the 06 show (i did see the 05 STL show) damn what a set list that show had still is probably the biggest regret in life missing the 06 KC show. I decided in 2013 to never miss a tour (i missed LITS due to legal issues)so have traveled since 2013, never regreated it since. Traveled to Dallas,Chicago and Vegas since the last tour stop in KC and headed to Memphis in the fall. How about the set KC got in 09 DAMN GOOD and still feels like a once in a life time set for me.
    Last edited by bryan_NIN65; 07-19-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_NIN65 View Post
    The Midland and Starlight are my favorite venues in KC, got NIN at Starlight once. I missed the 06 show (i did see the 05 STL show) damn what a set list that show had still is probably the biggest regret in life missing the 06 KC show. I decided in 2013 to never miss a tour (i missed LITS due to legal issues)so have traveled since 2013, never regreated it since. Traveled to Dallas,Chicago and Vegas since the last tour stop in KC and headed to Memphis in the fall. How about the set KC got in 09 DAMN GOOD and still feels like a once in a life time set for me.
    Yeah, KC was my first NIN concert (With Teeth at Kemper Arena) and I was hoping they would hit it up again because it's the closest major city to me and I probably could have made the in-person sale. Once we saw the calendar we thought about hitting up Chicago, but ultimately decided we didn't want to deal with parking and hotel stay in that city, so we chose Memphis instead.

Memphis is super easy to get around in and the Orpheum is a beautiful venue so I'm still pumped even with the drive. Chicago stresses me out a bit.
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 07-20-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typos abound

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    we thought about hitting up Chicago, but ultimately decided we didn't want to deal with parking and hotel stay in that city, so we chose Memphis instead.

Memphis is super easy to get around in and the Orpheum is a beautiful venue so I'm still pumped even with the drive. Chicago stresses me out a bit.
    I'm glad I went last year but damn, I stayed in oak brooke and paid 95 bucks in cab fare. Hotels near down town are like 250 and up plus you have to pay to park. Chicago may just be too big for me,lol. I've been a lot of places from the east to the west and all the way to the southern boarder at South Pardre, but Chicago was just pricey and almost too big. Although I have yet to try NYC or LA. Went to LA as a kid but don't remember much.
    Last edited by bryan_NIN65; 07-20-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I like a thing about Ghosts, it's that, for me, it's the eternally giving album. No track names, only a big wall of music. You can just drop in randomly, listen to familiar pieces, discover others, again and again. Because if you don't register the number of the tracks, you're always blind, you don't know what happens next. I love it. It never ends.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I like a thing about Ghosts, it's that, for me, it's the eternally giving album. No track names, only a big wall of music. You can just drop in randomly, listen to familiar pieces, discover others, again and again. Because if you don't register the number of the tracks, you're always blind, you don't know what happens next. I love it. It never ends.
    For me thé complete album that stands for the serious music (art) quality. Personally the kind of music I adore Trent for. I really hope he will only make that sort of music in the near future.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    For me thé complete album that stands for the serious music (art) quality. Personally the kind of music I adore Trent for. I really hope he will only make that sort of music in the near future.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Oh yeah. Painting a mood with music, and only with it. That's the stuff.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    So, today a switch flipped in my head and now I love Burning Bright (field on fire). On finishing the first listen to NTAE, I said out loud "What the fuck did I just listen to?". My brain couldn't comprehend the muddy guitars, the dense mix, the incomprehensible vocals, the sheer volume of it. I posted my displeasure here on the forums and wrote it off as a bad track.

Now I get it. It makes sense.

Previously this happened with Vessel, which I loathed for the first few listens, then suddenly day became night and I understood. I don't know why. Perhaps appropriate neural pathways had to be formed first. It's like the first time I heard a song with extreme vocals. You exclaim outrage and turn it off, simply because it's not what you're used to. But a seed has been planted, and if nurtured, becomes something more.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    So, today a switch flipped in my head and now I love Burning Bright (field on fire). On finishing the first listen to NTAE, I said out loud "What the fuck did I just listen to?". My brain couldn't comprehend the muddy guitars, the dense mix, the incomprehensible vocals, the sheer volume of it. I posted my displeasure here on the forums and wrote it off as a bad track.

Now I get it. It makes sense.

Previously this happened with Vessel, which I loathed for the first few listens, then suddenly day became night and I understood. I don't know why. Perhaps appropriate neural pathways had to be formed first. It's like the first time I heard a song with extreme vocals. You exclaim outrage and turn it off, simply because it's not what you're used to. But a seed has been planted, and if nurtured, becomes something more.
    I had the exact opposite reactions to both Vessel and Burning Bright! Isn’t it interesting how that happens? Gimme the dirty, gritty, noisy stuff please.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Wow, how time flies. The LITS tour started roughly 10 years ago.

I hope NIN does another high production tour that blows my mind like that. Not gonna hold my breath though. Might be the coolest thing I’ve seen from a concert.
    Last edited by Krazy; 07-21-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    This...hurts my brain. It sure doesn’t feel like 10 years ago.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Lololol
    I love that you mentioned this because I've always thought about age demographics whenever it came to interests in general. I can also definitely see that. It seems like the majority of Nine Inch Nails fans were born in the 1970s and 1980s. Since the 2010s have come and are about to be gone, I have noticed more and more fans born in the 1990s, but they too also seem to be born in the very early 1990s, or at least before 1995.

Anyway, even regardless of age, I've also always noticed that Nine Inch Nails is often a major hit or miss most of the time. However, I will say that I always enjoyed it when getting new listeners into Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth became successful via birthday or Christmas presents.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Am I bad for using this point of reference to know how many years I've been with my partner? (Our first date was I took him to the LITS show in Hamilton)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

I hope NIN does another high production tour that blows my mind like that. Not gonna hold my breath though. Might be the coolest thing I’ve seen from a concert.
    As to your first point, it's fucking INSANE and a little frightening. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that I printed out LITS artwork and hung it on my wall. It seems like I (originally) joined ets in the midst of the ARG. Honestly, this sort of thing terrifies me.
    "Time is runnniing ouuuuut" et so

as to you second point, LITS was absofuckinglutely the coolest thing I've seen from a concert and I enjoyed it as much as 94 and 95 shows.
    I, too, want another high production NIN tour.
    And while i still love seeing NIN just, you know, PLAYING, I wish they were still doing LITS style shows.

Hell, what they're doing now in terms of production value is a step back not only from LITS, but also from the TDS shows! Back then we had Trent ripping through that cloth thing, the low fi projections during eraser etc, the hurt projections.

I think it's possible that they might do another mind blowing stage show in 2022-23, one that once again blows away what anyone else is doing in that department, because I will be shocked if there isn't some sort of YZ sequel in 2022

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The Frail into Burning Bright would be a pretty great live transition. Try it with the Panaroma Festival recording sometime.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    i've been on a fragile binge. again. i wish they would play "we're in this together" live. rearrange it for the current lineup is a fine idea imho. as near as i can tell it's been over 10 years. i could be wrong. such a great song & spot on for today. also played year zero for first time in awhile. prophetic & a fine recored.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Am I bad for using this point of reference to know how many years I've been with my partner? (Our first date was I took him to the LITS show in Hamilton)
    Nope, I do that stuff all the time for whatever reason and for better or worse. NIN and non-NIN related.

In about 8 months or so we’ll be “celebrating” TDS for being 1/4 of a century old. :O

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I could definitely get behind a Halo that was just Trent whispering for approximately 90 minutes.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Lololol
    You know something. This is exactly what my sister is saying as she is surrounded by people in their 20s and early 30s who probably listen to what is cool now and says that the only rock band that everyone knows are the Foo Fighters. She never liked NIN and she doesn't think they matter despite the fact that I waited more than 3 hours to get a ticket at the Fox Theater in May with a lot of other people who came as far as Alabama to South Carolina to get a ticket with some coming in late at night and waited a long time to get the tickets. I didn't get the tickets that day but I was able to get a ticket for a show a few days later through an online discount from the venue. She thinks what I did was just stupid and pointless. Yeah, this is coming from someone who had an election party nearly 2 years ago thinking Hilary was going to win.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I could definitely get behind a Halo that was just Trent whispering for approximately 90 minutes.
    It’s like ghosts but just Trent whispering. I’m sure they have database of his whispers and could whip this out in a few weeks. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    "I left her on the bathroom floor"......darkest lyrics since the Fragile days

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post

All joking aside I would love to hear more "Conversation with Trent Reznor's" like he did for Hesitation Marks. Or he could do a mini-radio podcast type thingy about whatever, could be interesting.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    You know something. This is exactly what my sister is saying as she is surrounded by people in their 20s and early 30s who probably listen to what is cool now and says that the only rock band that everyone knows are the Foo Fighters. She never liked NIN and she doesn't think they matter despite the fact that I waited more than 3 hours to get a ticket ...
    Every generation and era has its run. Makes me think how as a kid I looked at the 70s disco scene and 60s hippie scene, and viewed the music and cultures almost as silly caricatures. Now I wonder if the current generation views my era of the depressed/self-loathing/suicidal grunge/goth/alt-rock stars in a similar silly self parody kind of way. But even if nin never again sees the relevance of the Woodstock 94 through TDS era, Trent has forged probable long-term relevance with the film scoring world.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Every generation and era has its run. Makes me think how as a kid I looked at the 70s disco scene and 60s hippie scene, and viewed the music and cultures almost as silly caricatures. Now I wonder if the current generation views my era of the depressed/self-loathing/suicidal grunge/goth/alt-rock stars in a similar silly self parody kind of way. But even if nin never again sees the relevance of the Woodstock 94 through TDS era, Trent has forged probable long-term relevance with the film scoring world.
    but like...like...they still headline festivals!

Idk. What is relevant? I'm of the mind that they've never really been THAT "relevant" in terms of being some huge important pop act to begin with.

even with people who are around forty, they're like "oh! Nin! Fuck you like an animal, right?!"

Idk these kids are 22 and think Avenged Sevenfold is the greatest band of all time.

Luckily my 22 year old cousin is the ONE of them who is into NIN (and his friends bust his balls for it haha)