Page 14 of 528 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 514 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    ...Right... So I finally noticed this.

Year Zero is Blue - Year Zero Remixed is Orange
    Broken is Orange - Fixed is Blue

Funny thing, it's almost the same color.
    The two are complementary.

If you like movies, and dont want modern ones spoiled for you, under no circumstances google "teal and orange films"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    ^ Sadly, due to the field I'm working in and the studies I have... I am well to aware. "Sadly" mainly because teal and orange has been ruining everything from movies to advertising and once you see it, you're going to see it everywhere. /offtopic

It was more a reference to the fact that one's the album and the other one is the remix album and NINcamp has been playing with colors and came up with something interesting but not necessarily intended.
    Last edited by MAD; 05-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The track Please from The Fragile, has always been one of my favourites...at two parts during the song, Trent sings, 'Please I dont ever want to make it stop' this is followed by the most beautiful guitar sound a sort of chiming, clinging/clanging, chugging, riff/breakdown.
    It sounds like he used a Jazzmaster or a Fender Jaguar with fuck loads of effects pedals and audio editing.
    Something about that musical riff is unique, it has a real classical operatic vibe to it, very elegant.
    Extremely loud but very evocative. Real My Bloody Valentine influence there.
    Fragile had a real shoegaze influence to it.

Wish that track was longer. Its annoying when a mindblowing sound is only used for a short while in any song.
    But yeah that track could be a couple minutes longer with more of that guitar gorgeousness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Wish that track was longer. Its annoying when a mindblowing sound is only used for a short while in any song.
    But yeah that track could be a couple minutes longer with more of that guitar gorgeousness.
    I completely agree with you. One that sticks out for me is the breakdown in the middle of the song "With Teeth" from about 3:01 - 4:18. It's so simple and yet takes you to a place so far away from the noise that preceded it. It's one of those parts that I wish would have been expanded on a lot more. I thought Aaron North did a good job of putting his touch on it when performed live too.

Other random NIN thoughts since I'm currently playing everything NIN related on shuffle via my PS3:

-The Chris Vrenna score for American Mcgee's Alice is really good from start to finish.

-The Stella Soleil vocal version of "A Warm Place" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. (which also lead me to love David Bowie's "Crystal Japan")

-I just listened to the entire Quake soundtrack yesterday from start to finish which I've never done and I think it's awesome but it doesn't get mentioned too much.

-Every now and again I'll watch the clips on youtube of Trent/NIN at the January, 2000 Yokohama, Japan show and think things like "Yes!...Wish I could have been there!...Was it the drugs, alcohol or a little bit of both?...and Hey don't beat up on Fink too much!"

-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I:would have liked to see "The Perfect Drug" performed live...they could have somehow worked around the crazy drum parts to make it work!

-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I: would have loved to see "Happiness In Slavery" performed live anytime between 1999-present day!!

-"...I guess I just don't understand why this world seems so unkind.
    maybe. maybe just once. I get what's coming.
    maybe. maybe just once. I get what's coming to me..."
    Last edited by NINfan04; 05-25-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINfan04 View Post

-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I:would have liked to see "The Perfect Drug" performed live...they could have somehow worked around the crazy drum parts to make it work!
    I think they could have put some kind of break down into it a la the great destroyer. I'm sure people wouldn't have minded if most of the drum solo was pre-recorded or somehow simulated electronically. The perfect drug is really one of my favorite NIN songs as its so different from the rest.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I think they could have put some kind of break down into it a la the great destroyer. I'm sure people wouldn't have minded if most of the drum solo was pre-recorded or somehow simulated electronically. The perfect drug is really one of my favorite NIN songs as its so different from the rest.
    I think whenever Josh was asked about it, he'd say the drum parts weren't a problem to play, it's just they could never figure out a satisfying way to end the song live

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    I think whenever Josh was asked about it, he'd say the drum parts weren't a problem to play, it's just they could never figure out a satisfying way to end the song live
    Björk's drummer does something in the end of this video with a digital drum kit that Trent should've done years ago with TPD:

@ around 2:50 in

It would've been kinda awesome if Trent wasn't such a darling about his live shows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree with everyone...with today's technology, TPD could have been done live imo!

Unrelated:
    Self Destruction Final from Further Down the Spiral is probably one of my top 3 NIN remixes ever, SO GOOD!

If you ever want to piss off your annoying neighbors, crank up the volume and bass on your $600 surround sound system, place the speakers at the window and play SCREAMING SLAVE from Fixed followed by Self Destruction Final, Reptilian, and other intense NIN remixes!
    Last edited by NINfan04; 05-25-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ...or you could just put Pinion on repeat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    ...or you could just put Pinion on repeat
    lol I never thought of that! Good idea! I also played Trent's Tetsuo: The Bullet Man Theme over and over...quite intense!
    Last edited by NINfan04; 05-25-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Red face

[QUOTE=NINfan04;34370]-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I:would have liked to see "The Perfect Drug" performed live...they could have somehow worked around the crazy drum parts to make it work!

-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I: would have loved to see "Happiness In Slavery" performed live anytime between 1999-present day!!

QUOTE]

I totally agree with both of these.
    I absolutely love "the perfect drug". I know it gets put down a lot, but it will forever have a place in my heart.
    I think I would die if I saw them perform it live

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    How have I never heard this before last night!!!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Yeah, Black Bomb isn't really talked about as much as it should. Trent not writing it and it never being released as a single means there's not much call for it to be on the various compilations out there. Which is a shame as it fucking rocks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I thought the main reason Trent didn't want to play TPD live was because he hated it/didn't like it?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I thought the main reason Trent didn't want to play TPD live was because he hated it/didn't like it?
    I remember Josh mentioning they worked on the drum solo and Trent didn't like the way it sounded live.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    According to the wiki, the song worked fine until the ending. None of them could decide how the song should end. They tried different variations on it, but none of them seemed to work for Trent. Eventually he got tired of working on it and they gave up.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I was listening to In This Twilight live compilation the other day (the one that compiles all songs performed during 2005-07) and totally forgot about We're In This Together. And when it suddenly started... HOLY SHIT. I know it was really hard to sing live, but why didn't they play it a little more? They played Last a lot and I remember him saiying that it's also hard to sing. (Yeah I know they changed the key). I think that to really enhance the song (WITT) live, they should've add one more guitar layer during the solo part. Trent doesn't sing there anyway.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Yeah, Black Bomb isn't really talked about as much as it should. Trent not writing it and it never being released as a single means there's not much call for it to be on the various compilations out there. Which is a shame as it fucking rocks.
    about compilations - it appeared on Rusty Nails 4 (or 3, not sure at the moment)
    also, entire album rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    i think they could play it no problem, but it was hard to fit in set organically, hard to select songs to play before/after so it wouldn't fell too disruptive

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Remember the osr gig? There was a long, complete, low quality streamed video which I have a rip of and a much higher quality edited video. The WITT performance at that was amazing, especially the piano outro, but that didn't make it into the hq edit.

Obviously someone (rob?) has the whole thing in hq. id love to hear it. I still hold out hope that the low quality stream rip was one of several quality options and a fan somewhere has a complete hq rip.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Rob should really upload that HQ version of the OSR meeting onto vimeo as I don't think we will ever see it as part of a NIN DVD. Maybe someone on twitter could ask him about it as unklike the wave goodybe stuff etc. it looked like it was already mastered etc. and only needed to be uploaded completely.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Rob should really upload that HQ version of the OSR meeting onto vimeo as I don't think we will ever see it as part of a NIN DVD. Maybe someone on twitter could ask him about it as unklike the wave goodybe stuff etc. it looked like it was already mastered etc. and only needed to be uploaded completely.
    done, let's cross our fingers.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    thanks! he's usually pretty open to questions of that sort. Maybe they just didn't think about putting it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DOes anyone know when Still was recorded? Just wanted to try and figure out if Trent recorded it before or after getting Sober sometime in June 2001.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 19ninetynine View Post
    DOes anyone know when Still was recorded? Just wanted to try and figure out if Trent recorded it before or after getting Sober sometime in June 2001.
    The liner notes state "Trent Reznor thanks: My family, John, Chris, Jerry and Denise for trying to help me keep it together" - I would assume after getting sober solely from that. Also, it contains music that was for One Hour Photo (released 2002).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The liner notes state "Trent Reznor thanks: My family, John, Chris, Jerry and Denise for trying to help me keep it together" - I would assume after getting sober solely from that. Also, it contains music that was for One Hour Photo (released 2002).
    I dunno. Take this as you will:
    http://www.ninwiki.com/File:2004_12_03Questions9.gif
    listening to still is pretty weird for me because i was at the bottom when that was recorded.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    There are photos of Trent, Danny and and Jerome sitting in the studio similar to the one seen in Still videos, which captioned December 2001, IIRC.
    Found one:
    Last edited by fillow; 06-05-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    What always bugged me is the presence of Robin Finck on The Day The World Went Away. Didn't he leave as soon as the tour was finished in Summer 2000? Maybe this particular song was recorded around the same time as Chicago radio performance? Like, on rehearsals, or right after the show.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    why were none of the flash drives found during the Year Zero ARG handed into lost and found? Were security asked not to accept them?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Memories...

this happened six years ago tomorrow:

i was there. this is still one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me.

you can hear it and the other special performances from that summer here:
    http://ninnewsfr.mihalis.org/bauhaus2006.php

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I remember hearing that on the radio on my way to the show. It was my first NIN show. Best show ever!