Page 343 of 528 FirstFirst ... 243 293 333 341 342 343 344 345 353 393 443 ... LastLast
Results 10,261 to 10,290 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I wouldn't complain at all if The Great Destroyer became a permanent staple in setlists.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Songs from Year Zero are so damn cool live. Seeing Me, I'm Not and Survivalism back in 2014 was really awesome. Me, I'm Not in particular kicks ass, all those crazy synth effects and vocal delays are even better on the stage! I would absolutely love to see more YZ stuff like The Warning or Vessel too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Songs from Year Zero are so damn cool live. Seeing Me, I'm Not and Survivalism back in 2014 was really awesome. Me, I'm Not in particular kicks ass, all those crazy synth effects and vocal delays are even better on the stage! I would absolutely love to see more YZ stuff like The Warning or Vessel too.
    When I saw them live in 2014 they opened with Me, I'm Not and they also played Survivalism, The Warning and The Great Destroyer, all those tracks sounded awesome live, specially Me, I'm Not and The Great Destroyer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Wish I'd seen Survivalism in 2014 - always a favourite from Year Zero. I only got Me, I'm Not and The Great Destroyer. The latter is driving me mad... there are a couple of soundboard recordings of course from various festivals and what not, but nothing sounds as gut rumblingly heavy as it did from the crowd at London. Maybe it just doesn't transfer to tape that well? If only there was a properly mixed official recording from that tour...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @ChipRock that rumbling heaviness of Great Destroyer was definitely something that got lost in recordings -- that was the heaviest moment of the entire Assault setlist and that's including songs like Somewhat Damaged and Eraser with it. It pretty much kicked everybody's ass, especially people there for Soundgarden who just thought, "Hey, why not stick around?"

I remember lots of people complaining heavily that The Warning and Me, I'm Not were getting played so much in 2014, and meanwhile by the time I saw them they'd gotten the visuals for Disappointed figured out on the festival panels and the songs were gone from rotation. I've now seen Disappointed three times but neither of those even once.

Survivalism on Tension was very, very cool though. I remember the lights for it being especially amazing out of a lot of the faster songs they did, and there was a bite to it that is absolutely nowhere to be found on the studio track.

Year Zero was one of the albums that really helped me become a major fan, and I'd love for more of it to be done live again. Trent seemed on fire whenever they did anything from it on the 13/14 touring cycle, and I can only imagine how intense that material would be now that it's become reality.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't think it was ever a staple but I'd love a little meet your master live. I could never get into the warning. I think it's that jangly bass line. The other YZ tracks I wasn't into at first have all become favorites. Although I prefer the god given remix over the original.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    God Given has such a great groove and it really works as s unique standout live. Gets everyone dancing a bit I've found.

Still waiting for My Violent Heart to debut live (or has it been played and I'm forgetful?). I know they've never played it at any show I've been to. That sample/synth when the beat finally kicks in...that's my shit!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree! My Violent Heart is so fucking eerie and awesome, that chorus is unbelievably massive. I remember when I opened up the song's multitrack file on GarageBand, and being blown away with the assortment of sounds and layers as I attempted to make my own remix.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I don't think it was ever a staple but I'd love a little meet your master live. I could never get into the warning. I think it's that jangly bass line. The other YZ tracks I wasn't into at first have all become favorites. Although I prefer the god given remix over the original.
    What do you think about the remix of The Warning on Year Zero Remixed? I like it much more than the original.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @ChipRock that rumbling heaviness of Great Destroyer was definitely something that got lost in recordings -- that was the heaviest moment of the entire Assault setlist and that's including songs like Somewhat Damaged and Eraser with it. It pretty much kicked everybody's ass, especially people there for Soundgarden who just thought, "Hey, why not stick around?"
    This gif sums up exactly how I felt before, during, and after that song.

Last edited by nooneimportant; 02-24-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I loved Year Zero, it was what really got me back into NIN after the WT cycle, which didn't really do it for me.

So happy I got to see Vessel played in '08, THAT is the heaviest track on YZ (and tied with Happiness in Slavery & Great Destroyer for best glitchy/industrial breakdown). Hopefully TR brings it out of the vault someday! I remember after YZ came out, burn cruising with my friend and the bass in Vessel would just destroy. Good times

IMO Meet Your Master and God Given are underrated, its cool to see them get some love.

Year Zero as a whole is underrated, its tied with The Fragile for my 2nd favorite NIN album (behind TDS, of course)
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 02-24-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    [MENTION=4807]... It pretty much kicked everybody's ass, especially people there for Soundgarden who just thought, "Hey, why not stick around?"
    Wow, that's some attitude. Did 'people there for Soundgarden' spill your drink or anything?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I never got to see it live, but watching this video, I can get a sense of what you're talking about.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @SM Rollinger Vessel actually was played during the Japanese shows in 2014 and, I do believe, at points on the Australia/New Zealand tour. I agree though that it'd be amazing if it became a setlist regular again.
    @BenAkenobi people that went just to see a classic 90's grungy rock band who then stuck around for a group that they had little familiarity with beyond the big hits were not remotely expecting to see an electronic go fuck yourself noise explosion. Don't know why you're choosing to read it as something inherently negative. It's no different than how unprepared many of those people were for Dillinger Escape Plan, to the extent that a lot of them booed them at one of the shows I went to, only for Greg to talk shit to them and laugh about how Soundgarden were fans of theirs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    What do you think about the remix of The Warning on Year Zero Remixed? I like it much more than the original.
    I'll have to give it a re-listen and report back. Been awhile. But off the top of my head neither versions, album, live or remix have done anything for me. I just think it's kind of boring for nin. Doesn't really go anywhere, not that all songs should. But I really wanted to like it as the subject matter deals with the coolest part of YZ imo, the presence.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I can't get over Right Where It Belong's ending part, the piano which ends the song and entire album, it is so hard hitting and so effective, it gets me every time, it's like the piano is basically representing relief, of closing a chapter that was painful and starting another one, it feels like a true happy ending, feeling like a release of pain.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I can't get over Right Where It Belong's ending part, the piano which ends the song and entire album, it is so hard hitting and so effective, it gets me every time, it's like the piano is basically representing relief, of closing a chapter that was painful and starting another one, it feels like a true happy ending, feeling like a release of pain.
    Those notes are the loneliest and most depressing notes ever to me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I sometimes view that song this way too, those notes are just very effective and they hit hard, I either see them as a release, or lonely. Either way, just amazing album closer.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Speaking of revisiting WT era tracks with Robin, I believe The Line Begins To Blur was played a handful of times with Robin (maybe around Wave Goodbye?), does anyone have a good quality video of that? I love that song live, and it's one of the parts of my first live show that still sticks in my mind very vividly (I remember going back and forth from watching the line crawl across the screen and trigger the red glitch screens, and watching Trent).
    I need to re-upload both of my 2009 recordings of those from Sydney. Give me an hour or so and I'll get them back up for your viewing pleasure.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Random talk about WT on here this week had me revisiting it for the first time in years. I loved it at release time, but in recent years never thought about it much. When I did think of it though, I always had a sour taste in my mouth coming from its relative simplicity/poppyness (like THTF) and some of the vocals or lyrics (like The Collector or Getting Smaller).

Another random thing is that I can't help but think about silvery brushed aluminum when the idea of the album comes up (partly because of a building I used to walk by 12 years ago, because of Trent's use of Apple computers, and because of the Only video), and I'm tired of brushed aluminum.

But listening to it this week, it's fucking great and I don't know how I twisted my thinking of it so much. Some of my problems with it are still there, but they're not terribly bad and I'm looking forward to the DE more than ever. I'll always avoid live versions of THTF though, kinda like HLAH live it's just not a thing I'm excited for.
    Last edited by blassster; 02-24-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    To me, those last few notes are kind of ambiguous. I mentioned in another thread that I feel Ripe (With Decay) ends The Fragile in a similar way. There's an uncertainty about the future, although in the case of With Teeth, it might be a more optimistic uncertainty. Right Where It Belongs, to me, is about recognizing the reality of a situation, whatever it may be. It's kind of like waking up from a dark dream (where the details aren't as clear) to the harsh light, and reality, of day. You're kind of looking back as you're going forward as you assess the relevancy of the dream versus the reality you now face. Obviously With Teeth was Trent dealing with his sobriety and figuring out how to feel about it as well as his life before it, so there is some uncertainty to the whole thing, but those last few notes seem to indicate that, while he may not have all the answers he seeks just yet, he's working on it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    the alternate V of Right Where It Belongs with TR on the piano might be the saddest song TR ever wrote. Almost makes 'Hurt' seem like fucking 'Down In It'

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So with teeth, here we go.....such anticipation. The lead up was amazing. The clips of THTF and the line were amazing. I remember hearing that chorus in the clip of TLBTB and knew it was an instant favorite. Still is. The little blips on nin.com. The teaser with BYIT and the glitch art turning into nin logo. Good times. Then we got EDIETS in full and it sounded fragile-esque. I was hyped. I remember sitting in my driveway waiting for THTF as they teased that they were playing it on Q101 (local alternative station).

I remember hearing that fucking Weezer song, or maybe it was beck. It was new at the time as well and they led in with, OK here's the new track from....beck/Weezer and I died a little expecting THTF. Seemed like I waited for days but was probably 45 mins. Finally heard it and thought it was amazing, I still like it (studio version, live lacks something I think drum or bass wise) but the ending...will you biiieeete....it was weird to me at the time the way he sang it. Still sticks out a little to me.

But the album was streamed day before or something like that and me and a buddy smoked and sat and listened to it in its entirety and we were speechleess. So different but still nin. ATLITW was jarring in a good way. I still love the way the album just 'starts'. Only also was a suprise. Leading up to it TR talked about how he almost left it off and all but I was immediately hooked. Then the finale. I knew TLBTB from the snippet and hoped full version was even better. It was. The outro into BYIT, trippiest nin song and a top 10 song for me. I prefer album version of RWIB. I still love most of the album. Least favorites are the collector and getting smaller. If those were replaced with home and non entity it would ALMOST be perfect. But regardless, a huge album/release in my life. As with every nin release after TDS.

Oh and start of huge and healthy TR. That was also jarring in a good way. When I first saw THTF video I thought holy shit. Thought it was TR in beginning on the buchla but then nope, is that a football player, no its Trent ready to literally kick some ass. Fun times man. Wish we got to see the EDIETS video. Rant over.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The little blips on nin.com.
    The one for TLBTB is epic. I wish they'd used that quiet room tone/ambience before the album version. It'd be a good bridge from the end of Sunspots (or Home) and it makes the downbeat sound even bigger.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Is that online anywhere now?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I would imagine they're all on youtube. Search with teeth blip.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I need to re-upload both of my 2009 recordings of those from Sydney. Give me an hour or so and I'll get them back up for your viewing pleasure.

@nick999 @sick among the pure
    Last edited by Ryan; 02-24-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Random thought: Trent's high pitched scream at the end makes my life complete;

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I would imagine they're all on youtube. Search with teeth blip.
    Quote Originally Posted by |mando| View Post
    I've only found three of them on youtube. All six are archived as originally presented on nin.com, and finding them can be relived (example: blip 1 here) Also, after they were rolled out with hidden links as a prelude, they became easily viewed on the nin.com/with_teeth page, archived here.
    Last edited by bwary; 02-25-2017 at 03:18 AM.