Page 283 of 528 FirstFirst ... 183 233 273 281 282 283 284 285 293 333 383 ... LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,490 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It really sucks Everything was never played live. The tiny rehearsal snippet you hear at 3:09 in the video at below sounds great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Arrow Wau.

Looks like new interview was a perfect acid test. And turning point.

But I survived everything.

From Russian NIN Community:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilya Andryukhin
    Staring at account
    Will it grow?
    Is there cash for me
    After all I gave for free
    Everything at highest price
    All of this for me
    All the spoils of Stevie Jobs
    All of this for me
    Mariqueen has closed her eyes
    Tired wallet worn and thin
    For all I could have earn
    And all that could have sell

Money pulls me close
    And whispers in my ear
    The destiny I've chose
    Should've been so rich
    The dollars have their say
    The Apple is drawing near
    Buying me away
    Makes me hate things free

And I descend from grace
    In arms of AppleStore
    I will hate YouTube
    For the new IPhone

I still need money
    Even so fucking rich
    ("The Great Below (instrumental)" to sing to is available on Nine Inch Nails' Connect page at Apple Music, only $9.99 /mo. for Individual Membership)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    *groaaaan*

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is why I didn't like that comment about youtube. Everybody has to be so black and white about everything and social media makes this so much worse. I don't think trent is some corporate schill because of what he said but that's how it could be perceived.
    Going back to youtube, there's so much cool stuff on there, old TV shows, interviews, concert footage that can't be monetised, this is not something you could add to a streaming service that would be lost without youtube. (God i've just used the term monetised! I"ve been reading far too much of this save the music industry shit and i'm not even in it)
    Last edited by WorzelG; 06-16-2016 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ^ I don't see what's wrong with feeling art is worth something and that the people who make it should be able to make a living. Someone like Trent is financially fine but people trying to break in right now across most mediums are struggling to make a living, let alone musicians. The director of the indie darling Tangerine last year that won awards recently mentioned having made virtually no money from it since all the popularity came from Netflix, for instance.

I know people with several albums put out that are high quality, well-polished, play shows at festivals and have a pretty good following in their areas and yet they all work day jobs and don't seem to remotely expect label representation or financial success anytime soon. That's an honest problem and all I really see TR doing is trying to develop a new model that allows for success since the old path is walled over and dead.

It's so weird to me. You'd think the guy just came out and proclaimed all future NIN releases as Apple Music-only exclusives for the rest of time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, maybe you should know that The Fragile and With Teeth instrumentals are available for free on Apple Music, you don't need a paid subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Xvostya View Post
    Looks like new interview was a perfect acid test. And turning point.

But I survived everything.

From Russian NIN Community:

("The Great Below (instrumental)" to sing to is available on Nine Inch Nails' Connect page at Apple Music, only $9.99 /mo. for Individual Membership)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    Well, maybe you should know that The Fragile and With Teeth instrumentals are available for free on Apple Music, you don't need a paid subscription.
    Some people find even the proposition of putting iTunes on their computer some terrible evil. I don't understand it personally especially because apple seem quite keen on privacy (although I've heard about icloud problems with music libraries, you don't have to install this though)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    @WorzelG yeah, I know. But most people don't buy vinyl. It may be archaic but I expect a physical release other than vinyl. If the only options are streaming & vinyl, i'll sadly be torrenting NIN for the first time. You honestly can't see the next NIN release coming strictly through Apple Music after this interview? Seems almost like a foregone conclusion to me...at least for the first few weeks or months.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 06-16-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    @WorzelG : Well I can understand it ; I don't want a dozen browsers, just the one that I find best. Same for the games store, if a game's exclusive on Origin I won't get it, I have Steam, period. And it's the same when it comes to music players, I don't have any iProduct, the thing's quite heavyweight and most of its features are useless to me.
    It's not so much evil as cumbersome, and as a matter of principle I understand that some people just don't get why they should have to go through a certain platform, and this platform only, to gain access to something that is supposedly for everyone to enjoy equally.

I do think that the fact that you have to go through itunes is a condition to get those files, and that it's a form of "free" transaction, a form of contract, and that the music is only "free" on a pure monetary level. And I do think that it's a very minor hindrance, personally.

But I get why it would annoy some people and I don't think their position is any less valid than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    You honestly can't see the next NIN release coming strictly through Apple Music after this interview? Seems almost like a foregone conclusion to me...
    Yeah I can't see it either to be honest, there's nothing in this interview that meant "next NIN exclusively on Apple Music" to me, that wasn't the discussion.
    Last edited by Khrz; 06-16-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    My main issues with Itunes are that:

A. it's a gigantic memory hog. Sucks up so much of your computer's RAM usage and such.

B. Apple isn't content to just have Itunes be a method of you obtaining music. No, they make it a big pain in the ass to have Itunes not completely take over your music collecting, sorting & playing environment on your computer. And I personally think having to run my entire collection (which is well over 800gb of music) through fucking Itunes is unnecessary.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    My main issues with Itunes are that:

A. it's a gigantic memory hog. Sucks up so much of your computer's RAM usage and such.

B. Apple isn't content to just have Itunes be a method of you obtaining music. No, they make it a big pain in the ass to have Itunes not completely take over your music collecting, sorting & playing environment on your computer. And I personally think having to run my entire collection (which is well over 800gb of music) through fucking Itunes is unnecessary.
    Yeah I think the way apple links with your own music library is major off-putting

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    ^ I don't see what's wrong with feeling art is worth something and that the people who make it should be able to make a living. Someone like Trent is financially fine but people trying to break in right now across most mediums are struggling to make a living, let alone musicians.
    The problem is that this issue has nothing to do with artists making a living. And TR sounds like a shithead for pretending he really cares about that. This about people who already make obscene amounts of money making more-- the 0.1% of artists. This is about marketing departments and CEOs making money. Truth is, most artists can make a living doing performances, and most artists never made a huge amounts of money from their record sales. Furthermore, if musicians were really getting paid for the "art" they produce, then Nickleback would be collecting unemployment.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 06-16-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Furthermore, if musicians were really getting paid for the "art" they produce, then Nickleback would be collecting unemployment.
    Your point was interesting and then you blew it. Nobody's asking you or your exclusive group of like-minded people to define what "art" is and what is "worthy". You produce something, people buy it, it makes money, period. If Reznor had said "product" instead of "art" you would have found it insufferably douchey. But when it comes to marketing, it's what "art" is.
    Nickelback sells, whether you like it or not. It's not a credit to the quality of their art, maybe, but that's an endless debate, eminently subjective and utterly pointless. So yeah, Nickelback makes money, so does Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park, and whatever new band it's cool to hate now. Deal with it.

Ultimately, it's not about what people sell, but about what people want to buy. What they'd rather stream off youtube 20 times a day rather than spit 10$ to own it. Apple Music, Spotify, Google Music, those are far from being perfect, but at least that's a step up from piracy and free streaming, as far as the artists are concerned. And yeah, that means that 0,1% of the bands will be paid correctly. That what the people are ready to give them. It sucks, it's a shitty attitude, and it's unhealthy.
    It's not about building an utopia from the ground up, but about trying to slowly right the wrongs and find ways for the artists to see some amount of money for their work.

As I said, yeah, it's far from perfect and there's still a long way. At least it's a work in progress.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Your point was interesting and then you blew it. Nobody's asking you or your exclusive group of like-minded people to define what "art" is and what is "worthy". You produce something, people buy it, it makes money, period. If Reznor had said "product" instead of "art" you would have found it insufferably douchey. But when it comes to marketing, it's what "art" is.
    Nickelback sells, whether you like it or not. It's not a credit to the quality of their art, maybe, but that's an endless debate, eminently subjective and utterly pointless. So yeah, Nickelback makes money, so does Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park, and whatever new band it's cool to hate now. Deal with it.

You make a fair point, and of course tastes/preferences are ultimately subjective, but I think you can draw the line between art made for the purpose of expression, and commercial art which is controlled by a marketing department and made for the sole purpose of profit. Maybe Nickleback isn't the perfect example, as I chose them off hand, but I don't think that's the point anyway. The point is that to the extent that musicians are producing valuable art, there is a relatively weak correlation between the value of the art itself and commercial success. Another way of putting it is, that if nicklback disappeared from the earth, people would probably listen to something else that a major record label markets to them, and be no worse off.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    amazing how Trent went from "here's my album for free" to mr corporate "youtube is evil" "downloaders are evil" and all this drivel......starting to think him joining up with apple is the worst decision he has ever made. its turned him into a corporate sell out company man....just make a fucking NIN record. nobody gives a shit about the new apple platform

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    YThe point is that to the extent that musicians are producing valuable art, there is a relatively weak correlation between the value of the art itself and commercial success.
    My point was that it wasn't the point of the topic at hand. The interview in which Reznor was featured was about marketing solutions to try to respond to marketing problems.
    It's not about the relevance or validity of a piece of art. Its about whether artists should be able to make money off it, and how to manage that in a world where art is seen as up for grabs.
    Streaming services are the solution that shows the most promise so far, and making the UX as appealing as possible is key if you want your users to become clients, thus people who will - finally - pay to have access to art, again.

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    amazing how Trent went from "here's my album for free" to mr corporate "youtube is evil" "downloaders are evil" and all this drivel......
    I swear you have the most selective memory ever. Reznor has ALWAYS been Mr "My art isn't for free you little shits, I'm fucking working my ass off for it". The guy makes a gift that ONE time and suddenly he's a corporate whore when he doesn't want to be ripped off.
    Seriously he even reiterated in the interview that he's always found the way things work now absolutely regrettable. It's just that he's realistic enough to admit that the old ways are dead and buried.
    Last edited by Khrz; 06-16-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The outro for this is fucking phenomenal. Does anyone know if there's an audio file of this out there?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Reznor has ALWAYS been Mr "My art isn't for free you little shits, I'm fucking working my ass off for it". The guy makes a gift that ONE time and suddenly he's a corporate whore when he doesn't want to be ripped off.
    Seriously he even reiterated in the interview that he's always found the way things work now absolutely regrettable. It's just that he's realistic enough to admit that the old ways are dead and buried.
    I'm sure someone produced a documentary about downloading and Napster where Fragile era Trent was being the get off my lawn guy and Fred Durst was forward thinking this is the future guy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'm sure someone produced a documentary about downloading and Napster where Fragile era Trent was being the get off my lawn guy and Fred Durst was forward thinking this is the future guy
    That would be a very excellent idea! I know just the cool dude to do it: Bill S Preston, Esq! [plays air guitar]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It wasn't exactly like that. I think this was the clip they showed. https://m.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/...or_on_napster/

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    The outro for this is fucking phenomenal. Does anyone know if there's an audio file of this out there?

Google > YouTube to mp3 > voila!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Here's the original post for that, vimeo.com/8357960, you can download the mov file from the link in there (on desktop) and use whatever to rip the audio if you want the best quality officially available.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    So I watched watchmojo's top 10 NIN songs video, and while obviously I (and we) could argue with a million stuff, because we could not even fucking agree which albums are the best among ourselves, it came as a shocker information, despite probably reading it already a dozen times in wikipedia or ninwiki, that EDIETS was a a commecial and professional success as well. It's funny, because while I know I'M not the only one here who loves that song, I can't recall a time EDIETS caused much attention here aside from the usual "it's boring" or "it's monotone but good!". Like, the track is so fuckng grey that even when discussing WT it's probably the last song mentioned.

It's just strange to me, and how Trent (assumably) did not like it playing live either. It might sound crazy and controversial now, but I don't think EDIETS becoming a recurrng live track throughout all of post WT tours was outside the realm of possibilities.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^I love that song too, I think it's a perfect pop song. The rehearsal version on Beside you in Time was a great performance of it and might have skewed me so much in favour of it

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    So I watched watchmojo's top 10 NIN songs video, and while obviously I (and we) could argue with a million stuff, because we could not even fucking agree which albums are the best among ourselves, it came as a shocker information, despite probably reading it already a dozen times in wikipedia or ninwiki, that EDIETS was a a commecial and professional success as well. It's funny, because while I know I'M not the only one here who loves that song, I can't recall a time EDIETS caused much attention here aside from the usual "it's boring" or "it's monotone but good!". Like, the track is so fuckng grey that even when discussing WT it's probably the last song mentioned.

It's just strange to me, and how Trent (assumably) did not like it playing live either. It might sound crazy and controversial now, but I don't think EDIETS becoming a recurrng live track throughout all of post WT tours was outside the realm of possibilities.
    I liked EDIETS the most of all the With Teeth tracks when With Teeth was released. It's cool that this song presumably made a lot of money for Trent and co. I remember it was also used in film trailers and films.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    It's a shame this never happened because this part always intrigued me... I wonder how it was envisaged to look? -

http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...cle.php?id=116

"It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it.""

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It's a shame this never happened because this part always intrigued me... I wonder how it was envisaged to look? -

http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...cle.php?id=116

"It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it.""
    Solutions Backward Initiative.

I think TR's plan in 2004 was to do an ARG that involved the album Bleedthrough with the same futuristic concept as what would later become Year Zero. After the initial songwriting phase was complete, however, he dropped it and changed the album name to With Teeth. But the plan was always to do a follow-up release that merged that album with the future transmission stuff.
    Last edited by botley; 06-17-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i wish they had made the Cargo In The Blood book able to house the cd and/or vinyl of hesitation marks. would have made it feel even cooler. also, i wish i had a spare $300 because i still really want to buy it : /