Page 342 of 528 FirstFirst ... 242 292 332 340 341 342 343 344 352 392 442 ... LastLast
Results 10,231 to 10,260 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    I remember being annoyed at the time that pretty much every TR interview about The Slip was nearly 100% about its distribution method and practically nothing about the album itself. Definitely a shame, since it remains one of my favorites.
    Yeah, reviews going
    "The asking price is right!"

Like fuck off. I can see why Trent didn't do this and won't do this for any future albums, there isn't quite much of a point anyway. Right now The Slip is seen as a "that free album" yet I feel that is really sad, just since it was made quickly doesn't mean there was no effort, hell, it could be the opposite.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    This reminds me of Just Like You Imagined so much.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Did TR ever say what the title of Just Like You Imagined was about in an interview? He did about The Way Out Is Through (check ninwiki), but I've always wanted to know why he named it that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    has Trent ever named his top 5/10 favorite NIN songs?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    That's a good point. I'm interested in knowing what he thinks is his best.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    That's a good point. I'm interested in knowing what he thinks is his best.
    DEEP
    Deep
    deep
    deep
    deep

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    La Mer is my favorite song Trent will ever write

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    I remember reading interviews in which he called Terrible Lie, Gave Up, Hurt, and The Collector his favorites off of their respective albums. He also said during a show years back that La Mer means a lot to him because he wrote it during one of the most awful times of his life.
    Last edited by fakdoo; 02-19-2017 at 02:02 AM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    He also said it changes a lot, when he said he was currently enjoying The Fragile the most.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakdoo View Post
    ...The Collector...

Over All The Love In The World, Love Is Not Enough, Where The Line..., Right Where It Belongs or Beside You In Time? Madness.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    La Mer is my favorite song Trent will ever write
    La Mer is easily in my Top 10. The performance on AATCHB blew me away when I first saw it on YouTube. I had no idea NIN was capable of material like that because I was still new to NIN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Was It Worth It… fuck me

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    The March is a great song for when you're sitting in the dark all paranoid.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    DON'T LOOK AT M- I mean yes. Yes I really was. Bad night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.theninhotline.net/archive.../key394a.shtml

Such an awesome article from 1994! I love reading about Trent's creative process when it comes to crafting songs in the studio, and all the gear he's made use of throughout the years. It's so intriguing, and super inspiring!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I must say, after listening to NTAE over the last few months, there's just some special about guitar-oriented NIN songs!! Even when they switched the live version of 1,000,000 from guitars to synths, it didn't have the same bite.

Considering TR is always trying to get synths to act/sound imperfect and manipulate their sound, I don't understand why he sometimes gets away from the guitar. I guess because he's a better pianist than guitarist, but it still seems like it would be easier for him to mess with sounds from a guitar than to fill a studio with synths and wires to attempt the same effect.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm not sure why but those tamer fragile songs (La mer, the great below...) haven't held up for me. Back then they were mind blowing. It was new and very different than most previous work. Those two tracks specifically were my favorites at the time. Maybe I've listened to them too much or im burnt out on quiet nin, maybe they are from a place in time they don't fit for me anymore or maybe I just want to rock. Maybe I'm weird but unless I'm listening to the fragile as a whole I rarely seek out those songs individually anymore.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This probably might be far better posted in Random NIN Thoughts, as to avoid derailing the Not The Actual Events thread.

I couldn't find this part of Closure isolated, so I'll have to put this in context for a moment. Anyway, what you said actually reminded me of this part of Closure. It's at the 38 second mark to the 46 second mark of the video.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-21-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The "tear it all down" chant from 10 Miles High is very creepy to me, not just due to the obvious reasons, but another one which is a weird thing upon my part, during this chant there is another deeper voice (probably Trent's voice modified) saying the same thing, yet this deeper voice sounds almost exactly like today's Trent, it's a surreal feeling.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    The "tear it all down" chant from 10 Miles High is very creepy to me, not just due to the obvious reasons, but another one which is a weird thing upon my part, during this chant there is another deeper voice (probably Trent's voice modified) saying the same thing, yet this deeper voice sounds almost exactly like today's Trent, it's a surreal feeling.
    Trent took a bold new direction for that song and hired his future self for the recording.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent will ever touch You Know What You Are live. It's not been touched since the With Teeth line up as far as I know and I'm curious how Robin/whoever is in the NIN 2017 band would do it. As it stands right now I can't imagine anyone but Aaron doing the guitar stuff. And I also like Robins backing vocals a lot and would like to hear him do it haha

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    I wonder if Trent will ever touch You Know What You Are live. It's not been touched since the With Teeth line up as far as I know and I'm curious how Robin/whoever is in the NIN 2017 band would do it. As it stands right now I can't imagine anyone but Aaron doing the guitar stuff. And I also like Robins backing vocals a lot and would like to hear him do it haha
    That's right. It will be over 10 years since they last played it (during the Japan & Australia shows in 2007) once the band performs again in a few months. High time to dust it off! A great track IMO, and it certainly deserves to be revisited live. It was cool to hear Robin's approach to some of the less-played With Teeth tracks in 2008/2009 like "Love Is Not Enough", "The Collector" and ESPECIALLY "Getting Smaller" (which they transposed down a whole tone in key):

Last edited by botley; 02-22-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Trent took a bold new direction for that song and hired his future self for the recording.
    What a mad man

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's right. It will be over 10 years since they last played it (during the Japan & Australia shows in 2007) once the band performs again in a few months. High time to dust it off! A great track IMO, and it certainly deserves to be revisited live. It was cool to hear Robin's approach to some of the less-played With Teeth tracks in 2008/2009 like "Love Is Not Enough", "The Collector" and ESPECIALLY "Getting Smaller" (which they transposed down a whole tone in key):

I was just thinking about this, I would love to see "You "Know What You Are?" again live, it's the most agressive track on With_Teeth, seeing how agressive NTAE is, we might.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I doubt that I brought up NIN's vocals that much around here. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I like how Trent's singing voice is smooth, abrasive, mellow and aggressive in all the right places as they always help me relate to the songs, while just feeling the overall vibes of his vocal range, along with whatever effects he chooses to use, from echoes to static or even a combination of the two. I also like his speaking voice. At times, his overall demeanor and speech patters can be actually relaxing when listening to him articulate himself in interviews. I'm obviously not that only one, but I have certainly noticed and liked the way he says the word and. (That also sounds like it could very well be an idea for a NIN photoshop or something.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I doubt that I brought up NIN's vocals that much around here. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I like how Trent's singing voice is smooth, abrasive, mellow and aggressive in all the right places as they always help me relate to the songs, while just feeling the overall vibes of his vocal range, along with whatever effects he chooses to use, from echoes to static or even a combination of the two. I also like his speaking voice. At times, his overall demeanor and speech patters can be actually relaxing when listening to him articulate himself in interviews. I'm obviously not that only one, but I have certainly noticed and liked the way he says the word and. (That also sounds like it could very well be an idea for a NIN photoshop or something.)
    Totally agree, soft/screaming/loud/quiet/monotone/speaking his vocals are very pleasing to the ear. Good voice for radio or a podcast.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post

Jebus, this person must have been standing right next to me filming this.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I really want to hear Love is Not Enough again live. It's such a great track! (along with Getting Smaller)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Speaking of revisiting WT era tracks with Robin, I believe The Line Begins To Blur was played a handful of times with Robin (maybe around Wave Goodbye?), does anyone have a good quality video of that? I love that song live, and it's one of the parts of my first live show that still sticks in my mind very vividly (I remember going back and forth from watching the line crawl across the screen and trigger the red glitch screens, and watching Trent).

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They first played it with Robin in 2008, I believe. It was one of the ones where Ilan sang backup from behind the drumkit in 2009, and was also played once each in 2013 and 2014.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Speaking of revisiting WT era tracks with Robin, I believe The Line Begins To Blur was played a handful of times with Robin (maybe around Wave Goodbye?), does anyone have a good quality video of that? I love that song live, and it's one of the parts of my first live show that still sticks in my mind very vividly (I remember going back and forth from watching the line crawl across the screen and trigger the red glitch screens, and watching Trent).
    I saw them perform it live in Perth in 2014. Was fucking incredible.