Page 341 of 528 FirstFirst ... 241 291 331 339 340 341 342 343 351 391 441 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,230 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    The time when nin.com was using a tumblr feed already feels like a distant memory. Like a nightmare long forgotten.
    I didn't really have a problem with nin.com being a tumblr feed when they actually posted news and pictures. But when they didn't have a single update for a year after Cargo... yeah.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I didn't really have a problem with nin.com being a tumblr feed when they actually posted news and pictures. But when they didn't have a single update for a year after Cargo... yeah.
    I have the feeling it was a Sheridan-led project, so when RS started phasing out, so did the Tumblr.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I know this is an old post but....
    there are casual Mr Bungle fans?
    Well I'd defo count myself as one - I like the bits and pieces I've heard over the years, but I'm sitting here trying to think of song titles and the only things that spring to mind are Squeeze Me Macaroni and Ars Moriendi...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I think one of the largest main reasons as to why I keep following Nine Inch Nails would still be based on how much I am able to relate to his music as far as it being the ultimate soundtrack to my personal life and personality altogether. No matter which release so far, there will be entire albums or at least several songs that will always tug on my heartstrings.

As an example, 1,000,000 also evokes very similar emotions and memories to me that Gave Up and The Big Come Down did where I can relate to each and every single word of each song while also helping me cope and deal with the not so pleasing and comforting aspects of life to put it lightly. Every single album so far has given me an introspective journey while helping me take and put things into perspective, aside from the overall satisfaction as far as being entertained and being wowed, thus giving me even more reasons for NIN to have such a grip/hold on me.

I'm also aware that Trent Reznor obviously isn't the only musician capable of doing this, but I am always impressed and inspired as to how he was able to productively, constructively, legally and healthily translate negative thoughts and emotions into creativity, art and just good fun altogether while overcoming his obstacles and adversaries. It's also one of the largest main reasons as to why I've looked up to him so much since becoming a fan in 2002. Well, that and also putting up one hell of a show too.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-14-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Nine Inch Nails is still my therapy on certain/several levels, so to speak.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Wow. You and I have greatly different opinions on what are and are not the high points of Hesitation Marks. I'm pretty sure "Came Back Haunted" is the worst song on the record. "Satellite" might not be terribly interesting, but it's better than that. And I wasn't aware anyone had a problem with "I Would for You." Weird.
    I was trying to be a little diplomatic. I agree that CBH is garbage. Formulaic NIN with no bite.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yes! Yes! Yes! (and thank you! @Leviathant ) I can't count how many times through the years the nin hotline (not twitter) has been an invaluable (re)source!

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwary View Post
    Yes! Yes! Yes! (and thank you! @Leviathant ) I can't count how many times through the years the nin hotline (not twitter) has been an invaluable (re)source!
    Well, this is a funny way to find out the site is being worked on. Hallelujah.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    .....And I wasn't aware anyone had a problem with "I Would for You." Weird.
    I literally listen to "I Would For You" for the majestic ending. At high volumes, it's so easy to immerse yourself in the beauty of those intertwining chords and drown in that outro coda....and then into "In Two" (no pun intended). Love those two, one after the other...and then, of course, the final two tracks.

Other than that sequence, Hesitation Marks really hasn't sunk in like other NIN releases have.
    Last edited by pinata89; 02-14-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Well, this is a funny way to find out the site is being worked on. Hallelujah.
    It's been a busy... I don't even know the measurement of time.

There's still a lot of shuffling that needs to happen before I start making too much noise

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    It's been a busy... I don't even know the measurement of time.
    The last time we talked about it was April.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It occurred to me yet again that while Ghosts I-IV is a nice album to chill/zone out to, it's also great to listen to when in a hurry/rush. It calms me down and has sometimes helped me defeat the odds in becoming punctual with in the 11th hour/last minute.

Upon also reading the Vinyl Mission Statement at NIN.com, it also compelled me to listen to The Downward Spiral for the first time in quite a while on my vinyl player. It literally is the first vinyl record I ever owned and it reminds me why I also enjoy vinyl. Part of my fascination is also knowing that I'm also listening to music in a way that occurred long before I was even born. I'll certainly hope to look forward to finally get The Fragile: Deviations 1 on it some day. It's not just the sound, but it really is the experience of having to move the needle as well as looking through the size of the cases and sleeves, while perusing them and admiring the artwork in a way that can't be absorbed with CD cases and booklets.

While I can also clean, organize and just relax with CDs playing music in the background, doing it only vinyl is also fun in its own right. Kind of like how I enjoy the tape hiss of cassettes, I also enjoy the crackle of vinyl with the feel of added nostalgia it brings. I definitely still see the appeal in spite of how much harder vinyl is to actually obtain.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-14-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What would have been the reaction if Not The Actual Events came out in 2005 in place of With Teeth?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Not good, I'll bet. Not good at all.
    Hmmm,what if halfway through Hesitation Marks,the entirety of NTAE played? Just imagine, you're listening to the album for the first time and you finish Everything and you're very confused then Branches and Bones starts playing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Since Atticus is an official member now, aren't all of the TR & AR soundtracks technically Nine Inch Nails now?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    Since Atticus is an official member now, aren't all of the TR & AR soundtracks technically Nine Inch Nails now?
    You just broke the universe and blew my mind.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    What would have been the reaction if Not The Actual Events came out in 2005 in place of With Teeth?
    I'd rather perish the thought as I love With Teeth far too much. (Granted, I will admit that I'm sort of kind of doing the same thing with this post.)

However, what you said somehow reminds me of this other random NIN thought I had, as I noticed how 1989-1994 and 1999-2005 had a similar pattern as far as releases went. And not that it's really supposed to make any sense either, but it really was just to fit in the LP, EP, LP/LP, EP, LP, Double LP/Double LP, EP, LP pattern as far as post-Fragile works go. It just got stuck in my mind since I usually keep listening from PHM to WT the most even up until now. These are just a few examples, as you can pretty much do that with any release anyway.

1 - With Teeth
    2 - Not The Actual Events
    3 - Year Zero
    4 - Ghosts I-IV

Or.

1. Ghosts I-IV
    2. Not The Actual Events
    3. With Teeth

Or.

1. Hesitation Marks
    2. Not The Actual Events
    3. Year Zero
    4. Ghosts I-IV
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-15-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Reznor went out of his way (caps lock, y'all) to tell us the before the flood track with his vocals was not new nine inch nails.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    no. artist intentions are important, and TR+AR have made sure to distinguish between their score work and other projects. NIN is a very defined thing, no matter who is involved. atticus has been part of the project for at least 12 years, he's just finally being considered an official member of the band (as opposed to a behind the scenes collaborator). he was also part of HTDA, which is decidedly not NIN or score work, so the logic doesn't follow to consider their scores NIN. also, it's not a retroactive thing.

sorry, i'm taking this way too seriously.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sorry, i'm taking this way too seriously.
    You are right though, i figure if Trent intended that soundtrack work to be NIN he would have labelled it as that at the time but he wanted to distinguish it as a separate body of work and like @sweeterthan said Trent was very emphatic about A Minute to Breathe not been NIN.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I never get tired of watching MOTP from Tension.

Pino is so good.

Trent: Alright, so on March of the Pigs, Ilan will complete multiple 12 yard dashes to play drums and keyboard.
    Alessandro: There are like, 112 people on stage. Perhaps one of us could do the keyboard part instead?
    Trent: ILAN WILL DO IT

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post

Pino is so good.

Trent: Alright, so on March of the Pigs, Ilan will complete multiple 12 yard dashes to play drums and keyboard.
    Alessandro: There are like, 112 people on stage. Perhaps one of us could do the keyboard part instead?
    Having a dedicated bass player on stage really made a lot of the songs feel a lot more full. And I always found it a bit odd Ilan did those keyboard parts... until I watched the actual footage I just assumed it was Alessandro doing it.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post

Pino is so good.

You know, this is exactly why don't like this version (and Wave Goodbye version too), because that last snare/crash hit right before 'now doesn't it make you feel better' lyric is essential! and Ilan obviously skips it as he's at the keyboard already.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Listening to "Please" in reverse is a very revealing experience. At first, I thought that only the acoustic guitar at the very end was reversed, but there are actually quite a lot of reversed guitars and synths in there., particularly in the verses. And the "sweeping" synth at the intro... holy shit, it sounds so... plain when reversed. I usually hate reversed audio, I always found it a cheap and lazy effect, but I have to admit "Please" fooled me in that regard. Wow.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    You know, this is exactly why don't like this version (and Wave Goodbye version too), because that last snare/crash hit right before 'now doesn't it make you feel better' lyric is essential! and Ilan obviously skips it as he's at the keyboard already.
    It wasn't there from 1994-1996...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I finally bothered to get the Closer To God EP (the one with all 9 tracks, not the shitty 4 song version on Apple Music) and the March Of The Pigs EP. These remixes are pretty good, and turns out after years and years of thinking Heresy (Version) and Heresy (Blind) were the same thing I regret not correcting that mistake earlier. I am really digging Heresy (Blind) right now.

I had as much content as possible from The Fragile era but didn't really delve into the TDS stuff apart from Further Down The Spiral (with an edition I made that combines both tracklistings) and the selection of bonus tracks on the 10th Anniversary edition of TDS but figured I finally should bother. I'm glad I did.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 02-16-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Listening to "Please" in reverse is a very revealing experience. At first, I thought that only the acoustic guitar at the very end was reversed, but there are actually quite a lot of reversed guitars and synths in there., particularly in the verses. And the "sweeping" synth at the intro... holy shit, it sounds so... plain when reversed. I usually hate reversed audio, I always found it a cheap and lazy effect, but I have to admit "Please" fooled me in that regard. Wow.
    The second guitar solo in Where Is Everybody? is also reversed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I feel like that maybe The Slip would have gotten more respect as an album if it wasn't released for free, I feel like when stuff are given away for free people naturally will consider it as a product that has less substance. I feel like more attention would be given to the album rather than to the release method which kind of hurt it, at least in my opinion. It makes it feel less special for people, if that makes sense? I don't know.

Maybe this should go on controversial NIN opinions reading it again..

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I feel like that maybe The Slip would have gotten more respect as an album if it wasn't released for free, I feel like when stuff are given away for free people naturally will consider it as a product that has less substance. I feel like more attention would be given to the album rather than to the release method which kind of hurt it, at least in my opinion. It makes it feel less special for people, if that makes sense? I don't know.

Maybe this should go on controversial NIN opinions reading it again..
    I don't know. I see what you mean, but don't forget that The Slip was quickly produced in a couple of weeks, so not giving it away could have caused more negative comments.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I feel like more attention would be given to the album rather than to the release method which kind of hurt it, at least in my opinion.
    I remember being annoyed at the time that pretty much every TR interview about The Slip was nearly 100% about its distribution method and practically nothing about the album itself. Definitely a shame, since it remains one of my favorites.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't know. I see what you mean, but don't forget that The Slip was quickly produced in a couple of weeks, so not giving it away could have caused more negative comments.
    I personally couldn't tell that before I read up upon it, I still don't really hear an album that was made quickly, and I am not sure if a full fledged album should go for free just due to its development time, I would understand if it was unfinished and just full of demos or something, but it is a finished product.