Page 217 of 528 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 215 216 217 218 219 227 267 317 ... LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,510 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Fans can vote up which picture is the main picture for artists on Last.fm's site and this is what happened when I checked my profile...

I laughed.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    what's your favourite show of the tour?

That's a tough one. I'd say you could really just pick any of the Studio Coast or Metro Nightclub dates. The Manchester date is special because of We're In This Together. There's just so much, but yeah, overall I'd guess go with one from Studio Coast as my favorite. I've never heard a NIN show from Japan that wasn't fantastic, Trent really does seem to get a lot more energy from their crowds than he does anywhere else.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I just realized that when I'm in a depressed or bad mood, I listen to NIN the most. I listen to NIN nearly every day but for some reason it shoots up when I feel shitty. I'm not a terribly depressive person, I'm rather jokey and very happy alot of the time but yeah... NIN can kinda do things for me if I feel sour, you know? It's a release.
    As I've mentioned before so many times, that's exactly how Nine Inch Nails went a little bit beyond the entertainment factors whenever it came to my listening experience, which just added to the reasons why he's my favorite musician. It's also perfect for whenever I'm thinking about my personal life and where I stand in this world as a person.

Purest Feeling really does just that for me too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Fuck. Don't listen to Rusty Nails for the first time while high. I don't know what's going on right now.
    EDIT: My phone auto corrected to Nine Inch McDougal haha Jesus dicing Christ
    Last edited by Wolfkiller; 03-15-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anyone remember that rumor that Trent was in the concert crowd surfing scene in The Crow? Or was that a local thing? Like how I heard a girl put a cigarette out in Manson's face at a show around here back in the day. I was expecting a mention of the story in his book. Trent should write a book.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Every time "Purest Feeling" album is mentioned, i have this random thought (i guess it turned from random into regular), that it was never supposed to be so widely and readily available!
    That was only possible because somebody who worked with Trent "leaked" it to some shady european "publisher" (Hawk), and now it's on every mp3 site, torrents, youtube, etc.
    And seeing there are people who seem to care about that one instead of real album, it's mindblowing. It's not negativity on my part, no (as many would take it). But i'm confused.
    It's crazy (historically speaking) that it's probably one and only occurrence of a CD so strongly associated with nin which Trent had no control over - contrary to "Still", by the way.
    I mean, how old is this attitude "you absolutely have to hear PG + Still, you haven't heard nin if you haven't heard those"? Uh-huh, totally in the same league of importance

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Anyone remember that rumor that Trent was in the concert crowd surfing scene in The Crow? Or was that a local thing? Like how I heard a girl put a cigarette out in Manson's face at a show around here back in the day. I was expecting a mention of the story in his book. Trent should write a book.
    Trent was never in The Crow, but NIN was meant to be. I guess there's enough Trent-looking people in the film for that to have got started.
    If Trent wrote a book, there'd be so much fucking libel
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Every time "Purest Feeling" album is mentioned, i have this random thought (i guess it turned from random into regular), that it was never supposed to be so widely and readily available!
    That was only possible because somebody who worked with Trent "leaked" it to some shady european "publisher" (Hawk), and now it's on every mp3 site, torrents, youtube, etc.
    And seeing there are people who seem to care about that one instead of real album, it's mindblowing. It's not negativity on my part, no (as many would take it). But i'm confused.
    It's crazy (historically speaking) that it's probably one and only occurrence of a CD so strongly associated with nin which Trent had no control over - contrary to "Still", by the way.
    I mean, how old is this attitude "you absolutely have to hear PG + Still, you haven't heard nin if you haven't heard those"? Uh-huh, totally in the same league of importance
    Still is an essential!

As for Purest Feeling, I fucking love - I think the appeal isn't just its supposed rarity, but that is has two unique tracks and is genuinely good music. It feels like Trent was really, really jamming to With Sympathy for a while. It deserves a real release, like the Broken Movie. A NIN rarities boxset would be nice

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Still is an essential!
    Did I say it isn't? I said there's a significant number of people clinging to those "rarities" and riding this breed of high horse: "call yourself a fan of nin? return after you listen Still and PF 100 times, then we'll talk". Ugh.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Did I say it isn't? I said there's a significant number of people clinging to those "rarities" and riding this breed of high horse: "call yourself a fan of nin? return after you listen Still and PF 100 times, then we'll talk". Ugh.
    Ah i misunderstood. Fuck the "real fan" dynamic generally, I'd always rather show people the rarities than tell them they have to hear them.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    i never heard that, but i remember hearing that he was the front-runner at one point to play the main character in that awful sequel. i don't know where it came from or why my friends and i at 16 believed it. in my mind kurt loder actually mentioned something about it, but it was likely a dumb local thing like you said.

so stupid.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    sorry for the double post, but i totally know what you mean. my copy of pf in the 90's was a memorex cassette and i treasured it in a big way. i would listen to it in spurts so as not to wear it out. it felt exclusive, like that "x files" bootleg vhs tape that was circulating at the time.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    This shirt is a sadness.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @jezstyle @kleiner352 @henryeatscereal @elevenism @Pillfred @marodi @sentient02970 @Joy Prevention Hotline - I hope you like my take on Wish. I'll admit that it's a bit of a personal interpretation of it though.

I really enjoy how uplifting and hypnotic 1:46-2:13 of Wish can be. While the entire song captures my yearning for truth, hope and purpose, that particular moment also captures my yearning to go back and fix everything, even though I know that I actually must accept what I can not change. I just really love how, "I want to but I can't turn back. But I want to." is also used in that moment, as that also sums up my conscience from time to time, while fitting in with that kind of sound as it really draws me in before Trent brings it on home.

I also interpreted it as wanting to not just go back to better times, but wishing to also be able to fix things instead of having to accept that some things just have to remain broken forever. I don't know why it didn't occur to me any sooner, but it certainly fits in so well as somebody that has fantasized about traveling back in time in order to fix everything without breaking anything else if possible.

And after thinking about how damaging and destructive the truth can be, even if it is a virtue most of the time, made me appreciate the music video even more. What is real, and what is true can also sometimes kill/damage you/others and steal from you and others, both metaphorically and literally. (Including the very truth of when to accept that some things aren't meant to be fixed, as even that can be sometimes very hard/impossible to swallow.) In that way, it can certainly be a reminder to be careful of what you wish for, no matter how excellent it looks on paper.

I like how it can also go with, "Don't open your eyes, you won't like what you see. The blind have been blessed with security." from Happiness In Slavery. It makes sense to me though, that it's also possible that the yearning and wishing to fix things would be mentioned in an album named Broken.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-18-2015 at 01:31 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Seeing '90s Trent with his modern hair cut is strange.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post

It's funny how 90's Trent has a different stage presence than he does now, but in this video he has current hair and acts like current Trent. It's like Trent knows Time Travel or something...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    This shirt is a sadness.

Mine looks exactly the same. Oh well!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I like to think that Not So Pretty Now is about Courtney Love.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's definitely about addiction, which is probably why it was left off of With Teeth in the first place. It's rather in your face about it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think it comes across as about addiction partly, but mostly fame, and the transience of fame, particularly reading the last few iterations of the chorus, but yeah it seems to be about himself not anyone else. But hasn't he always said he prefers people to interpret the lyrics how they see fit?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 03-20-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninmachine View Post
    Going on two years since the release of HM and it seems everyone is releasing new albums, including Soundgarden's Chris Cornell: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sou...ew-solo-album/
    Everyone was releasing albums in 2013. Hopefully 2015 will be the year that everyone will do it again

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninmachine View Post
    Going on two years since the release of HM and it seems everyone is releasing new albums, including Soundgarden's Chris Cornell: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sou...ew-solo-album/
    More importantly, 2 years since WO

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Most importantly, 2 years since the last year with more than one odd digit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think it comes across as about addiction partly, but mostly fame, and the transience of fame, particularly reading the last few iterations of the chorus, but yeah it seems to be about himself not anyone else. But hasn't he always said he prefers people to interpret the lyrics how they see fit?
    Huh. I never even thought of it being about himself … gives the acid sarcasm an extra edge.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

This video is great. Anyone know what year it was recorded? We all know suck is a "pigface cover" but reznor owned that song from beginning and in the end made it his own.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    This video is great. Anyone know what year it was recorded? We all know suck is a "pigface cover" but reznor owned that song from beginning and in the end made it his own.
    Well he wrote the lyrics, so it's his as much as it is Atkins'
    And those shows were 1991, there's a boot of one at ninlive http://ninlive.com/shows/1991/19910425.html

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    yeah, great, but im glad he left all those losers...#alcohol#drugs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Genesis P-Orridge mix of While I'm Still Here would be perfect if he/she (Not a knock against trans people, but ever since he tried to turn himself into his wife i'm not even sure if he thinks of himself as an individual anymore) wouldn't have added vocals.

We do not believe in human feeelingggshhh... Nooooooor in human fanshiess... Noooor human needsh... Human vallueesh... Human fears... Or even human hopes... The only purpose oooor belief... Is the path between the miiiind and the braaaaiiinnn.... Miiind.... to the Braaaiiin...

Kind of ruins the mood for me.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I find it's chilling.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It would be great if nin.com returned to being the center of the ninternet instead of being a pretty tumblr page.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    It would be great if nin.com returned to being the center of the ninternet instead of being a pretty tumblr page.
    Why put in the time and effort for an awesome website when you can just have an inline frame with your tumblr feed?

Seriously, though, Rob's work on the site for WT and YZ is a big reason I got as excited as I did about the band. Hell, he got his job BASED OFF HIS NIN WEBSITE.
    I realize he has a lot more responsibility now, I just wish that when he moved on from being primarily the web design and documentary guy to... whatever you would consider his role now, that someone would have stepped in and kept those roles as active as he did.

Call it ignorance, call it jealousy, some rose-tinted glasses perhaps, what have you, I just miss what we had not too long ago.