Page 408 of 528 FirstFirst ... 308 358 398 406 407 408 409 410 418 458 508 ... LastLast
Results 12,211 to 12,240 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    So uh, I'm pretty sure Trent sampled Kraftwerk on "Not Anymore."

Can you be more specific? At least from memory I didn't find anything obvious.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The drum pattern at the start is kinda similar, but no way is it a sample. Sounds like a different synth, to me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    Why is almost everybody talking as if She's Gone Away hadn't already happened? I guess it's a question of her singing lead rather than backing vocals, but still...
    I mentioned it in my post 6 posts above yours. Subtle backing vocals are fine, but if She's going to be singing lead, I think it should be considered a HTDA track. Apparently they feel the same, because their cover of "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" is credited as HTDA, despite being on a score by "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross." One might expect it to be listed as "Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Mariqueen Maandig Reznor" or "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (featuring Mariqueen Maandig Reznor)," much like the cover of Immigrant Song that features Karen O on vocals from the same score... but it's not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I mentioned it in my post 6 posts above yours.

And that's exactly why I said almost​ everybody.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Anyone who thought Everything was in any way a "happy" song didn't read the lyrics.
    Then why did they make the video so happy?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nothing is the worst April Fools joke

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Can you be more specific? At least from memory I didn't find anything obvious.
    I was referring to the percussion sound in the first couple of seconds. It could be a complete coincidence that it sounds the same. Who knows?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    NIN Song transitions ranked:

3) 999,999 to 1,000,000
    2) The Frail to The Wretched
    1) Closer to The Ruiner

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    0) The Somewhat Damaged to The The Day The World Went Away

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The line begins to blur to besides you in time

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    - Pinion into Wish
    - Eater of Dreams into Copy of A

Most NIN albums have a great introduction.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The Mark Has Been Made --> Wish

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    A Warm Place into Eraser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I was referring to the percussion sound in the first couple of seconds. It could be a complete coincidence that it sounds the same. Who knows?
    Well, as botley said, the pattern is certainly similar, but not the same, and I think it would be hard to get rid of the delay and phasing effects, even with filtering, gating to morph it into Not Anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now I'm Nothing --> Terrible Lie

If only there was rehearsal audio from 1991. The Closure DVD/Wave Goodbye recordings don't do it justice...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    And that's exactly why I said almost​ everybody.
    Fair enough. Maybe I didn't read your post closely enough.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikranax View Post
    Now I'm Nothing --> Terrible Lie

If only there was rehearsal audio from 1991. The Closure DVD/Wave Goodbye recordings don't do it justice...
    I STILL can't believe I got to see that transition live back in '09. What a fucking way to immediately start the show on a high note.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I STILL can't believe I got to see that transition live back in '09. What a fucking way to immediately start the show on a high note.
    I caught them doing that in London the same year! Absolutely amazing.

Also La Mer into Into the Void is pretty spectacular

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    If we’re including live shows, the best is probably the extended drawn out version of Pinion that goes into Mr. Self Destruct (1994-1995 TDS tour). That shit gave me goosebumps.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Listening to With Teeth today.

It amazes me how quickly Everything was thrown to the dogs when EDIETS and the second half of All The Love In The World are both extremely poppy, and the latter is loved by seemingly everyone. How is Everything different to these songs?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post

It amazes me how quickly Everything was thrown to the dogs when EDIETS and the second half of All The Love In The World are both extremely poppy, and the latter is loved by seemingly everyone. How is Everything different to these songs?
    I’m not a fan of ATLITW, so can’t speak for that song. The horrible beat of Everything, and it sounds like a Cure radio hit, kills that song for me. Don’t care if the lyrics are super happy or depressing (they’re not nearly as dark as people make it out to be though), it’s the music.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    And re: Everything. This was also pushed as a single prior to HM's release (much like EDIETS) in an age when everyone could immediately complain about it from the palm of their hand.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Everything just feels like lazy song writing. It's just a verse and chorus. If you're gonna do a song like that you know is very different than most of your catalog why not spend some more time including some interesting intricate parts to it. I believe that believe that people would have been a lot of more forgiving if it was a more interesting song. The drums sound like scratch drums that he just didn't bother to change out. a key change would have been nice. Listen to Getting Smaller. That song is essentially 2 parts but the key change in the breakdown makes that song all that more interesting. It isn't rocket science.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

I love All The Love In The World, but I truly dislike EDIETS. EDIETS is such a boring, generic, uninspired song. It's the one song on With Teeth that I could completely live without. Everything is a million times better song than EDIETS. Everything lazy? Nah. EDIETS is way more lazier. One of thr most boring NIN tracks. It's up there with Discipline as one of the worst NIN songs.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Reminds me of the One Hour Photo / NIN mashups.
    Nice. I actually did a video where I added Leaving Hope and The Persistence Of Loss to the end of the film.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My favorite transition is No You Don't into La Mer. Best mood whiplash ever

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I would love it if No You Don't came back live. Every recording of it sounds massive and it would fit right in with the more aggressive sets they've been playing in the past year.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Help Me I Am In Hell into Happiness In Slavery was always lovely

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    From Mark Romanek's Instagram. ARG?
    Maybe someone need to mention it : there is no arg in this picture, just a very old family story, I used to do the same in france 20 years ago

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Wow, I happily uploaded a long time ago rare french TV footage from 1990 (actually I also uploaded the rare DVB re-air). Obvioulsy it's a very famous music show, as shown in the re-air, they met numberous great bands... this video got interview, and live video and sound... but "Isabella Swan" just commented that it's a fake Trent Reznor, and she can prove it !