Page 404 of 528 FirstFirst ... 304 354 394 402 403 404 405 406 414 454 504 ... LastLast
Results 12,091 to 12,120 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    GUYS

NIN play Paris on 6/25. Presumably Trent will be there a couple days early to stave off jet lag.

Timberlake plays Paris on 6/23.

I don't know about you, but I would probably die from the world's most powerful touchless orgasm.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Mention of NIN in a look back to Madonna's Ray of Light album
    https://www.billboard.com/amp/articl...mpression=true
    I've never really been a Madonna fan, but she does have a few songs I like and the song Frozen was one of them.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    That album is my favorite "pop musician" album of the 90's, and one of the first CDs I ever bought (the song/music video of Frozen sold me). No shame, I still like that album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Fragile and Year Zero go well with train trips. The ever-shifting environment outside the window frames the music in a cool way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sunspots is my number 2 NIN song

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For a couple of years, Hesitation Marks was at the very bottom of my NIN album rankings. Then a few weeks ago, I realized how good it was. Now it's fighting for 3rd with Still and With Teeth.

Anyone else ever had this same experience with an NIN album?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    For a couple of years, Hesitation Marks was at the very bottom of my NIN album rankings. Then a few weeks ago, I realized how good it was. Now it's fighting for 3rd with Still and With Teeth.

i mean, i like year zero way more than i used to (which was basically not at all), but i still don't love a handful of songs and i think capital G is the worst thing trent has ever written, so it's still at the bottom of my rankings...but there's no longer a giant gap between it and what's above it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i mean, i like year zero way more than i used to (which was basically not at all), but i still don't love a handful of songs and i think capital G is the worst thing trent has ever written, so it's still at the bottom of my rankings...but there's no longer a giant gap between it and what's above it.
    The live version of Capital G from the 2007 shows is so good and I hate that they never did it after that — its chorus doesn’t work as well in studio but has that big, sweeping sense to it that lends itself to shows really well.

Also How Long will forever be worse than any NIN song to me save for Deep. Deep is terrible and this bizarre prequel-apologist attitude that’s become popular in recent years of it being a good song with a bad video is just wrong. It’s the closest Trent ever got to becoming the nu metal garbage he complained so much about and it’s not good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The live version of Capital G from the 2007 shows is so good and I hate that they never did it after that — its chorus doesn’t work as well in studio but has that big, sweeping sense to it that lends itself to shows really well.

Also How Long will forever be worse than any NIN song to me save for Deep. Deep is terrible and this bizarre prequel-apologist attitude that’s become popular in recent years of it being a good song with a bad video is just wrong. It’s the closest Trent ever got to becoming the nu metal garbage he complained so much about and it’s not good.
    ...i love "how long"... :: crawls back into cave and hides ::

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    How Long? is great, if a little obvious in its intent. It also has one of the best music videos for a Trent-produced song in my opinion. Still can't understand the hate for Deep, and I don't say that as some sort of apologist. I genuinely dig that track. When that baseline kicks in, I'm sold. Having been exposed to enough nu-metal to last me a lifetime, I don't really hear the comparison in Deep, but maybe that's just me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I do not like How Long? either. As for Deep, it sounds like it could be a Fragile track. I really don't get the hate for it as it sounds like your standard NIN affair. No worse than Less Than or Came Back Haunted or Discipline or Only or any of the radio pop rock Trent does. Actually Deep is harder than those tracks. I say Discipline is the worst NIN track. I rather hear How Long? and I don’t even like that track. Discipline is just cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Discipline is just cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    C'mon guys! Everybody knows worst NIN track is Everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Any answer to that question that's NOT "Purest Feeling" is completely and utterly wrong.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The worst track on any NIN release is easy and cannot be argued

(also How Long is fucking awesome I'll fight you all)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The worst track on any NIN release is easy and cannot be argued

(also How Long is fucking awesome I'll fight you all)

Such an underrated classic. I miss when Nine Inch Nails was like this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Deep is terrible and this bizarre prequel-apologist attitude that’s become popular in recent years of it being a good song with a bad video is just wrong.
    Absolutely, it's a good song AND video. I'm familiar with the man's opinion on it, but still gladly take it over leftover David Lynch B-roll or six minutes of white noise. Don't see how it's any more nu-metal than Starfuckers, WIE or even Down In It, either.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

capital g. Sometimes I’ll listen to capital g three times in a row because it’s that good to me.

Release the damn record already so we don’t have to rehash the best/worst nin songs debate (yet again!).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

With Teeth for me. It basically knocked NIN out of a favorite band status for me, and I went from anticipating his work like a crazed person to just kind of checking in. I really liked how otherworldly and slightly "off" a lot of The Fragile is, and I still have almost never come across an album that sounds at all like TDS (elements of some of Coil's work comes close). So the more standard, understandable rock music that comprises a lot of WT was a huge bummer for me at the time. I have come around on it, and I appreciate it for what it is, though it's still not a fave.

I always loved "All The Love...," (an all-time favorite NIN track; it used to irk me that it's followed by something as ordinary as "You Know What..."), "Right Where It Belongs," and thought "The Line Begins..." was interesting, and those are still my favorites.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Absolutely, it's a good song AND video. I'm familiar with the man's opinion on it, but still gladly take it over leftover David Lynch B-roll or six minutes of white noise. Don't see how it's any more nu-metal than Starfuckers, WIE or even Down In It, either.
    I don’t like Where Is Everybody. It’s ... fine, but not at all what I like about NIN, and Starfuckers is and will always be out of place and both contribute heavily to Right feeling inferior to Left and part of why I will never consider it superior to TDS as a complete album. Down In It works because it’s the first album so it gets a bit more of a pass for the silliness of it and the retro sound boosts it greatly. The lyrics to Deep are terrible and the idea that it could fit next to songs like La Mer and I’m Looking Forward To Joining You Finally makes me feel like the reasons I like The Fragile aren’t why other people like The Fragile. It feels like a demo with placeholder lyrics to me that never got refined.

Purest Feeling is excellent for 80s synthpop. Maybe Just Once is also solid as hell for the era it’s a product of, and neither of those songs feel fair since they were only ever in demo stages and had no final studio versions.

Also wow I should be in the controversial opinion thread at this point.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yeah this is big-time Personal Opinions Hour drift, fellas. Here's a more Random Thought:

I really want Atticus to write a big essay to accompany the vinyl release of Still. Those sessions are from right before he started working with TR on the still-unfinished 12 Rounds record, so his impressions of Nothing Studios in those days and reflections on hearing the record retrospectively as an obvious starting point for the tone of their subsequent soundtrack work together would be, well, awesome.
    Last edited by botley; 03-07-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Anything that talks more about how Still was made would be fantastic. Something a little more focused than the Broken and TDS essays at the very least.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Year Zero was the beginning of the end for me and I went from anticipating Trent's work to just checking it out. Not The Actual Events made me psyched for the first time again only for Add Violence to make me go back to how I felt with Year Zero. I'm a big fan of With Teeth. Last album from NIN I could listen to from front to back.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Year Zero, definitely. It was so bizarre compared to everything else I had heard, and it took a while for me to digest.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Anything that talks more about how Still was made would be fantastic. Something a little more focused than the Broken and TDS essays at the very least.
    I am hoping for some really nice booklet for the Still vinyl with a bit more details.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Worst track hands down is Lights In the Sky

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post

Madness! Did you happen to catch it live? It's beautiful.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    If we count in the production value as well, then it is indeed not good. I really hate any next level argument about shitty productions, where it boils down to "duh, it was meant to sound like that silly!" I still can't fucking hear shit! But if the vocals were mixed normally, LITS would be amazing; I still like it, but it's near impossible to listen to during my daily commute, because the quietness makes the listening experience miserable.

This is why I am so glad for the Definitive Broken edition: they fixed the volume issues.

On another note, I don't get the Starfuckers, THTF, Discipline, CBH, Less Than, etc. hate. They are fun and mostly one-off songs on their respective records.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    If we count in the production value as well, then it is indeed not good. I really hate any next level argument about shitty productions, where it boils down to "duh, it was meant to sound like that silly!" I still can't fucking hear shit! But if the vocals were mixed normally, LITS would be amazing; I still like it, but it's near impossible to listen to during my daily commute, because the quietness makes the listening experience miserable.
    Why not fix that yourself with the multitrack?

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Why not fix that yourself with the multitrack?
    I don't have the knowledge.

Ac1dfreak used to make extremely good quality stuff from (mostly live) NIN songs, but that's been a while. Heard some fan fixes of other bands' songs, and honestly, they were all worse than the original, so I'm not a big believer in fixing stuff ourselves.

LITS may be not that hard, you just have to up the vocals, but what do you with Less Than for example? The production of that song is so strange, and in a bad way.