Page 397 of 528 FirstFirst ... 297 347 387 395 396 397 398 399 407 447 497 ... LastLast
Results 11,881 to 11,910 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I really wish Trent would pull a Bowie move and play a Greatest Hits tour to retire them the fuck away and then do a tour with only new stuff + super deep cuts and previously unplayed shit.
    I was recently reading a fan-made Outside Tour book/chronology and there was a quote from Bowie he made at one TV appearance. He said that whoever went to see him on Outside tour and then complained about the lack of old hits must've been living under a rock for five years and he was absolutely right. With proper advertising it's possible to bring a number of people who don't know the songs to a bare minimum.
    Last edited by fillow; 12-22-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I really wish Trent would... play a Greatest Hits tour
    This is the norm, though. There are a bunch of songs that are played almost every night alongside a smattering of new stuff with a few lesser-played tracks thrown in for good measure.

NIN is already a relatively niche band. Attendance would be awful if they stopped playing the songs that your average concert-goer wants to hear. People expect to hear Wish, HLAH, Closer when they go to see NIN. They don't want to hear Find My Way or The Lovers. The community we have here is comprised of hardcore fans who would kill to have a setlist only made up of deep cuts. But the truth is that NIN is a money-making venture just as much as it is an artistic endeavour. He's comprising sets from what he believes is his best (and most popular) material across an almost 30-year discography. As much as I roll my eyes at the intro to Gave Up, I still get into the song and enjoy it; it's still a good song. And even if we've all heard it to death at this point, there'll be someone in the crowd who'll be hearing it for the first time that night.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Considering he's (probably) a Falco fan as he did an awful cover of Der Kommisar, I'd rather hear something like Naked or Coming Home, he could lay something interesting on that
    I had the thought the other day of an Option 30 of "Three Little Birds" (Bob Marley)... I may need some help.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    every one i know goes away in the end

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    All this talk of performing Deep Cuts reminds me that I still want to hear "Where Is Everybody?".

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Somewhat Damaged is the theme where I'm at right now with the damn holiday season. It's getting harder to deal with every year.
    every one i know goes away in the end
    You OK, dude? Stay positive, please.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    You OK, dude? Stay positive, please.
    thanks. i'm living a pretty tortured existence because a severe medical issue. all of my joints are slowly being destroyed by RA. i've been fighting it a long time & this year has had a severe decline. the holiday season is like throwing a geometric progression on it. some of the drugs they give me turn off my immune system & i've been sick for 3 months with pneumonia/sinus infection etc on top of the normal crap i live with. past few years i've gone to vegas @ xmas to hide out. this year, not well enough. i went down there in october for the nin show with pneumonia. glad i went to show but got sicker after the show & the trip wasn't good. right now, looks like i have to do some severe spine surgery early 2018. risky but the RA is attacking my spine & something needs to be done. the spine stuff is pretty recent development. after that, it appears i'm going to have to retire on disability. that's been on the table for over 5 years but i had fought to keep going. i'm losing that now. so ya, i'm pretty depressed. RA isn't cancer but the version i have is pretty damn close. i have to do cancer drugs just to try & slow it down. its a long & torturous ride. do appreciate your concern.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    thanks. i'm living a pretty tortured existence because a severe medical issue. all of my joints are slowly being destroyed by RA. i've been fighting it a long time & this year has had a severe decline. the holiday season is like throwing a geometric progression on it. some of the drugs they give me turn off my immune system & i've been sick for 3 months with pneumonia/sinus infection etc on top of the normal crap i live with. past few years i've gone to vegas @ xmas to hide out. this year, not well enough. i went down there in october for the nin show with pneumonia. glad i went to show but got sicker after the show & the trip wasn't good. right now, looks like i have to do some severe spine surgery early 2018. risky but the RA is attacking my spine & something needs to be done. the spine stuff is pretty recent development. after that, it appears i'm going to have to retire on disability. that's been on the table for over 5 years but i had fought to keep going. i'm losing that now. so ya, i'm pretty depressed. RA isn't cancer but the version i have is pretty damn close. i have to do cancer drugs just to try & slow it down. its a long & torturous ride. do appreciate your concern.
    I’m so sorry to read that you are dealing with so much. I went to that Vegas show too and it was a great show. I’m glad we got to see it. Here’s hoping you get solutions and healing in 2018. ❤️

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    watching live beside you in time for first time in quite awhile. what a great tour that was. the production was phenomenal. i must say though that i really prefer the current live band. stripped down & dirty. it looks like another year of mainly festival gigs. would much rather see an arena/theater tour. the festival thing is a smart move though. most of the production costs are covered & publicity, etc. iggy pop has made plenty of hay touring like that. makes more sense for him though since he is getting up there in age. trent is still plenty young. maybe he is waiting until he gets a whole new album out before committing to a full on headline tour.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yeah, I remember seeing something elsewhere on this forum about your medical stuff. Sorry about that. I do understand physical pain and depression all too well, but I don't pretend to know what you're dealing with. I wish you the best of luck with whatever progress you and your doctors can make.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Yeah, I remember seeing something elsewhere on this forum about your medical stuff. Sorry about that. I do understand physical pain and depression all too well, but I don't pretend to know what you're dealing with. I wish you the best of luck with whatever progress you and your doctors can make.
    sorry to be redundant. not on my game. someone asked. on way to holiday dinner couldn't get out of or i'd catch hell for a year. the good part is can play with the 1 year old grandson who seems to like me. i'm usually good with little kids. its the adults that are problematic, haha. thanks for your comment.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Oh no, you're not being redundant, I was just recalling that I had seen something. I didn't mind getting a better picture of what you're going through.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Now that xmas is over I know what's safe to buy myself off store.nin.com
    Got a nice heavy beanie that I might get that long skinny Add Violence patch for, too.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I was driving home from my best friend's house a few nights ago and I had NTAE playing in my car. I realized that "She's Gone Away" has such a super warm analog sound to it. The production has such a thick, meaty quality that makes it feel like more like a nice old vinyl than a CD or digital file. Such a great song. One of my new favorites.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thinking of springing for Broken now that U.K. Retailers are selling the new vinyl for 30% less than the NIN store. I already have it but not that sweet 7".

Must be in a spendy mood; picked up a copy of ghosts deluxe finally after nearly 10 years!
    Last edited by jmtd; 12-27-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

This was completely unintentional, I swear

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "The Great Below" is one of the best songs ever written.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    "The Great Below" is one of the best songs ever written.
    Definitely one of the best NIN songs ever written. It's right up there with Hurt, Something I Can Never Have as far as "that type of song" goes. I am not sure why it doesn't get played at shows.
    First time I saw them live was on the fragility tour. They played this song and it was entirely epic. The upside down body diving into the water on the 3 screens as the songs hit the climax...Masterful.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    that is one of my favorite parts from the live DVD.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    “Memorabilia” would work so perfectly with the current tour setlist.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If Trent ever decided to substitute ”Closer” with “Closer to God” for a live show, I’d probably lose my shit (just like an animal).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    If Trent ever decided to substitute ”Closer” with “Closer to God” for a live show, I’d probably lose my shit (just like an animal).
    He did! In 1995. If only it lasted longer.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Same but Eraser (Polite)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    He did! In 1995. If only it lasted longer.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^That is dope as fuck!

Going back to random collaboration/guest appearances, "Madame X" off of Robbie Robertson's last album (with TR jamming on moody synths, and Pino Palladino kicking ass while Clapton solos over top) is such a cool jam.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I feel like Trent Reznor is part of my family... Like some uncle I never get to see in person, but who is a famous music star.

I’ve never told anyone this, but I send Trent a Christmas card each year... I don’t have his exact address, so I just write an address that’s close to where I think he lives in the hopes that the person who receives the card will know where Trent lives and deliver it to him.

Trent, I hope you check out the link I wrote down in the card. I spent a lot of time writing that song for you.... and yes I really do enjoy eating a Snickers bar when I listen to Eraser.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 12-29-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Someone mentioned Bowie's tour in which he played deep cuts in the tour discussion section, now is it far fetched to think TR would make a similar choice?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    Someone mentioned Bowie's tour in which he played deep cuts in the tour discussion section, now is it far fetched to think TR would make a similar choice?
    I think it mostly depends on what Trent considers a "deep cut" nowadays. Would you take for a deep cut, say, The Wretched, Only or Piggy? Or do you want something unplayed like Perfect Drug or Ten Miles High or Zoo Station? They could bust out Discipline for all we know. It'll be a worthy show anyhow, i'll guess...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I was the one who made that comparison. And now, looking back, I thinks it's rather unfair comparison. Bowie had 22 albums of music released before Outside tour and dozens of songs never played live of not played for 15 or 20 years. Nine Inch Nails are nowhere near to these numbers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^That is dope as fuck!
    As much as I loved this in the set during that tour I think the current lineup and show would be great for bringing this version back. It would sound really great with She’s Gone Away, Reptile, The Great Destroyer, Burning Bright, etc. Plus I think it would work better than the album version with the stripped down stage setup.

Also, I have never liked the Only Time break-down they added. I would much rather they just play that song.

While I’m at it... I also wish they would play the album version of March of the Pigs and drop the “all lined up” section. It was cool for a while, but now I think the song would have more impact in the set to end at the normal spot and just lead into something like Wish.