Page 392 of 527 FirstFirst ... 292 342 382 390 391 392 393 394 402 442 492 ... LastLast
Results 11,731 to 11,760 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I’d love to hear a Year Zero Deviations album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I’d love to hear a Year Zero Deviations album.
    Oh man, that would be awesome! Wasn't there a song with Josh Homme that didn't make it on the record or something? I'd love to hear that. I bet there's a stack of cool odds and ends on Trent's hard drive from the YZ era.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I feel like this belongs here more than NIN Spotting:
    Husband and I are in New Orleans for the week, and last night we went to The Mortuary, a haunted house thing up on Canal that’s actually an old mortuary. When we got chased out of the last door back out into the crowd out front by dude holding a chainsaw, “The Hand That Feeds” was the first thing to hit my ears. They were playing music over the speakers in front of the house for the people waiting in line. Made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I get the feeling that there is way more unreleased material from the WT sessions than the YZ sessions for a Deviations album…and not just because of the song titles that were listed but never released. It was his first album sober and he had a lot of time to work things out and experiment in a full studio. I'd love to hear that stuff!!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I just wanted to say that Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and The Background World are by far the latest Nine Inch Nails songs to have given me a sense of comfort, reassurance and peace.

In some, or many ways depending on the situations, being the strongest I have ever been in my decline is all that I could ever ask for. And the way Trent sings, "Are you sure, is this what you want?" has helped me calm down and clear my mind, especially when putting consequences into perspective. It's a common question, but the way he sung it just reached out to me in a certain way, as did the rest of the actual song itself.

And well, as always, thanks Trent. Your music is one of the things that helps me move on and keep calm, even in spite of how many times I get stuck, how chaotic my mind and heart trigger me so, or how many times I want to turn back/vanish.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-08-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I just wanted to say that Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and The Background World are by far the latest Nine Inch Nails songs to have given me a sense of comfort, reassurance and peace.

In some, or many ways depending on the situations, being the strongest I have ever been in my decline is all that I could ever ask for. And the way Trent sings, "Are you sure, is this what you want?" has helped me calm down and clear my mind, especially when putting consequences into perspective. It's a common question, but the way he sung it just reached out to me in a certain way, as did the rest of the actual song itself.

And well, as always, thanks Trent. Your music is one of the things that helps me move on and keep calm, even in spite of how many times I get stuck, how chaotic my mind and heart trigger me so, or how many times I want to turn back/vanish.
    Coincidentally, both are closing tracks.

I find that several strong songs are closing tracks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    If I had to choose a specific moment that forever cemented NIN as a band that would become my favorite ever and change my life, it would probably be that part in Right Where It Belongs where it finally goes from distant and muffled to clear and in-focus. Trent solemnly singing about isolation and the state of existence with a piano and some fuzz to sudden roaring applause. Oof. That did a real number on high school me.
    Let's say this is exactly my experience, too, except one song prior, Beside You In Time, when the beat breaks the shoegaze interlude. I knew I was won over.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    With Teeth was the first NIN album I listened to from start to finish, after only hearing a couple singles here and there and not quite clicking.

And then the latter portion of "All the Love in the World" happens, and just completely blows my expectations from the "fuck you like an animal" band out of the water. Ugh. That's a really solid album opener, and is still one of my favorite songs ever. That whole record will always be chock-full of nostalgia for me, and here I am now, over a decade later, still splurging about it online.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    With Teeth was the first NIN album I listened to from start to finish, after only hearing a couple singles here and there and not quite clicking.

And then the latter portion of "All the Love in the World" happens, and just completely blows my expectations from the "fuck you like an animal" band out of the water. Ugh. That's a really solid album opener, and is still one of my favorite songs ever. That whole record will always be chock-full of nostalgia for me, and here I am now, over a decade later, still splurging about it online.
    That bit in the song where it switches up never fails to give me goosebumps.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Year Zero's music kicks so much ass, just wanted you to know.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    As someone has estimated, I feel that a March-release for EP 3 is very reasonable. My estimation is February, and I'm willing to gamble with people on this. I will wager $100 Canadian.

reasonable predictions:

+5 more excellent songs
    +dynamic EP (to illustrate, ADD VIOLENCE is more dynamic than Not The Actual Events).... I'll be happy if we get 5 industrialized acoustic songs though
    +background vocals and vocal flourishes from Atticus

My vision for EP 3 is that it starts with a propulsive banger, second song is a This Isn't The Place blues/r n b song, 3rd song is a super-focused aggressive rocker that goes through 3 evolutions, 4th song is a tribal from out of nowhere bonkers song we haven't heard from NIN before, 5th song is an acoustic number with layers of synths and an awesome synth bass line

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Has anyone tried making a playlist that features Year Zero, Welcome Oblivion, and Add Violence mixed together? Since they are thematically related, I'd be curious to see what that sounded like.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The whole Louis CK news has really come as a shock to me since I had never heard the rumors. Now I wonder how I’d react if I heard Trent was unfortunately part of this group of deplorable human beings given how much his work has affected me.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    The whole Louis CK news has really come as a shock to me since I had never heard the rumors. Now I wonder how I’d react if I heard Trent was unfortunately part of this group of deplorable human beings given how much his work has affected me.
    Seriously. I've idolized Twiggy for nearly 2 decades, Spacey was my favorite actor, and who doesn't love Louis CK? George Takei is even facing allegations. It'd be sweet if my idols could all stop being fucking creepers.
    Last edited by cheddamash; 11-12-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Trent isn't part of that group. The wildest thing he's done is been in a threesome with Manson.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Trent isn't part of that group. The wildest thing he's done is been in a threesome with Manson.
    If that's the stuff that Manson had in his autobio, well, there's was definitely a consent issue from what I read...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So I would have put this in NIN spotting but it's not new; it's just news to me.
    My wife has been watching old episodes of CSI and I've noticed a few nin songs in the soundtrack.
    The thing that tripped me out the most was they played part of the Gave Up remix from Fixed. That's a pretty deep cut. They also played part of Halo Spaceboy in the same episode.
    whoever picked the songs for this show has pretty good taste.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    If that's the stuff that Manson had in his autobio, well, there's was definitely a consent issue from what I read...
    Manson exaggerated a lot of things in that book. From a Swedish magazine interview: "Manson distorted reality and painted a very unfair picture of me," Trent claims. "I didn't say anything for years, but it is important that I give my version [... I] was in the middle of an emotional tumult. I created a circus around me, but I'm not really that guy."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Year Zero's music kicks so much ass, just wanted you to know.
    "Capital G" wasn't a song I was too interested in after the album dropped, but now it always turns into a fucking banger for me. SO GOOD. I'd love to hear more of those songs live someday. Aaand considering how much stronger some of those themes seem to ring now, I feel like it's a definite possibility for upcoming tours.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 11-13-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Downward Spiral: Deviations II

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I hope not but I wouldn't be super surprised if something came up from Trent's past. I am of the firm belief that the things a person does while on hard drugs is not representative of who they are. It doesn't mean it's an excuse and it doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences but it also doesn't automatically mean that's who they are. Certain people close to me have had those kinds of pasts and you're really not yourself when you're using.

With all that said, I don't think he has one of those kinds of skeletons. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a super shock. Unless it happened within the last 15 or so years. Then I'll be shocked.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I hope not but I wouldn't be super surprised if something came up from Trent's past. I am of the firm belief that the things a person does while on hard drugs is not representative of who they are. It doesn't mean it's an excuse and it doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences but it also doesn't automatically mean that's who they are. Certain people close to me have had those kinds of pasts and you're really not yourself when you're using.

With all that said, I don't think he has one of those kinds of skeletons. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a super shock. Unless it happened within the last 15 or so years. Then I'll be shocked.
    i find it hard to believe if there was something this bad it didn’t come out in 2009 with the whole Trent getting married backlash, like every article had pages and pages of vicious comments and dragging up the past. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if something like this came out about somebody in the entourage of the Downward Spiral tour though

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    i find it hard to believe if there was something this bad it didn’t come out in 2009 with the whole Trent getting married backlash, like every article had pages and pages of vicious comments and dragging up the past. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if something like this came out about somebody in the entourage of the Downward Spiral tour though
    It kind of already did with Twiggy. I consider him part of the "downward spiral entourage."

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I don’t know. Reznor has always seemed like a good guy to me. I’m totally biased tho.

One of Trent’s friends during that time was a self proclaimed virgin. Kennedy from MTV toured with him. She wrote about him in her book. I think If she has anything on him, it would’ve came out then since that’s the kind of thing that sells books.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I don’t know. Reznor has always seemed like a good guy to me. I’m totally biased tho.

One of Trent’s friends during that time was a self proclaimed virgin. Kennedy from MTV toured with him. She wrote about him in her book. I think If she has anything on him, it would’ve came out then since that’s the kind of thing that sells books.

yes, I read this, she said his bed was a ‘safe bed’ and she regularly stayed over with him

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So I would have put this in NIN spotting but it's not new; it's just news to me.
    My wife has been watching old episodes of CSI and I've noticed a few nin songs in the soundtrack.
    The thing that tripped me out the most was they played part of the Gave Up remix from Fixed. That's a pretty deep cut. They also played part of Halo Spaceboy in the same episode.
    whoever picked the songs for this show has pretty good taste.
    slightly related, and super old news, but in the first Resident Evil movie, the layered drum section from that same track (or possibly the Fist Fuck version) is used during the scene where Milla fights off the dogs. It's uncredited I believe.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I wish Trent would grow out his hair again, and maybe molest a musician or two on stage like in AATCHB.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I really like “Burning Bright (Field on Fire),” but like many NIN tracks, when I first heart it, my initial response was:

It iprobably didn’t help that I was very hungover when I was listening.
    Last edited by Bachy; 11-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So nin and CSI: I've heard at LEAST a dozen tracks now, at LEAST. And these are deep cuts too. I heard Slipping Away and The Great Collapse in one episode.
    The weird thing is that I can't find any database online that says which songs were in which episodes.
    I guess they are ALL uncredited? How does that work?
    Like my friend's band The Old 97s had a song in season six of the walking dead, and it only played for like 30 seconds, but they got an IMBD credit and were paid for the use of the song.
    Does Trent just kind of let CSI use his old tunes?
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-17-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So nin and CSI: I've heard at LEAST a dozen tracks now, at LEAST. And these are deep cuts too. I heard Slipping Away and The Great Collapse in one episode.
    The weird thing is that I can't find any database online that says which songs were in which episodes.
    I guess they are ALL uncredited? How does that work?
    Like my friend's band The Old 97s had a song in season six of the walking dead, and it only played for like 30 seconds, but they got an IMBD credit and were paid for the use of the song.
    Does Trent just kind of let CSI use his old tunes?
    https://www.tunefind.com/show/csi