Page 391 of 527 FirstFirst ... 291 341 381 389 390 391 392 393 401 441 491 ... LastLast
Results 11,701 to 11,730 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The aging NIN fan, in 95 camped out all night to buy tickets from box office, in 2017 the moment the first notes of Hurt are played I'm running for the door to beat the crowd and the traffic out of there.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Some of you seem to forget that Trent & Atticus are the ones that have the final say on artwork, so if you find the current artwork uninspired, you know who else is to blame.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Trent said he wanted someone who had grown up with them like Stanley Donwood did with Radiohead. Donwood is the same age as Radiohead and went to art school with Yorke.

Sheridan is what, 15 years younger than Trent? Their relationship is completely different.

Also, TR may have even mentioned Rob and they trimmed the answer for the interview. There's nothing inherently disrespectful in his answer at all.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Out of Trent's bag of songwriting tricks, my favorite has to be when a track begins with a simple repeated synth melody, and then the drums begin to a different beat than the one you would expect them to. Examples: Heresy (compare its intro with the one from the demo version), Underneath it All, Copy of A.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Do you think one day Atticus might kick that Trent Reznor fellow out?

Creative differences or something

"I just didn't like the direction he wanted to take the band in"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Out of Trent's bag of songwriting tricks, my favorite has to be when a track begins with a simple repeated synth melody, and then the drums begin to a different beat than the one you would expect them to. Examples: Heresy (compare its intro with the one from the demo version), Underneath it All, Copy of A.
    YASSSS. I've had that thought many times and I'm glad someone came along and articulated it. This phenomenon used to grind my gears, but now I find it impeccably clever. The opening acoustic guitar of "Somewhat Damaged" is another really good example of this.
    Last edited by piggy; 10-23-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I love that, too! They also kind of did that with the Farewell Mix of I Can't Give Everything Away. The background synth melody has a different timing than the rest (although there are obviously no drums in it).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hell yes, I like this trick, with other bands too. Just now I got caught off guard by drums in If I Had a Tail by QOTSA.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    I love that, too! They also kind of did that with the Farewell Mix of I Can't Give Everything Away. The background synth melody has a different timing than the rest (although there are obviously no drums in it).
    yeah, the arpeggiated synth in that is in 13 (i think?) and just repeats in a steady loop regardless of the fact that the rest of the song is in 4.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Do you think one day Atticus might kick that Trent Reznor fellow out?

Creative differences or something

"I just didn't like the direction he wanted to take the band in"
    @sheepdean has beaten you to it:

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Atticus needs to drop Trent from the next NIN record tbh, get some new blood in

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    @sheepdean has beaten you to it:
    *shakes fist*

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    *shakes fist*
    beaten again

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    beaten again

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Fuck's sake, Letting You is so great

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Burning Bright and The Background World have ruined my sense of a top 10 list with this band. They're both easily in it. The fact that a band that's had multiple fan favorite established classic albums can still release material that rivals the best of their best is amazing and extremely rare for any band from NIN's generation/peers. There's a sense of freshness, adventurousness, daring and experimentation on both songs and their respective EPs and I can't wait to hear whatever the third has in store.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Burning Bright and The Background World have ruined my sense of a top 10 list with this band. They're both easily in it. The fact that a band that's had multiple fan favorite established classic albums can still release material that rivals the best of their best is amazing and extremely rare for any band from NIN's generation/peers. There's a sense of freshness, adventurousness, daring and experimentation on both songs and their respective EPs and I can't wait to hear whatever the third has in store.
    I feel like when I tell people how amazing the music is this year, they don’t believe me. She’s Gone Away is the most perfect nin song ever. It epitomizes nin’s sound for me but it’s still so fresh. I listen to that and both songs you mentioned pretty much every day right now. Both eps are all I want to hear.

I liked/love all of hesitation marks but it’s so clean and safe compared to these eps. The EPs are so arty and noisy and yummy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks does have some great songs that are relatively clean for NIN, but there is something about the quality of the best songs on these two EPs that is very surprising to me. "The Background World" is incredible.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't think Hesitation Marks is "safe". I think that "Everything" is pretty out there, it is pretty weird, and for NIN a risk take to make such a song, the song isn't even happy when you see that angry chorus. The album is kinda experimental, you cannot really name anything that sounds like Hesitation Marks from the NIN cataloque.

It's definetelly not "safe" especially for NIN, accessible, probably to most likely, but I don't see how the release was safe.

But I'll admit that in these EPs Trent is going out of his way much more to make really unfriendly records, some of the most experimental stuff..since Year Zero or Tetsuo.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I do think that the EPs are the best music from nin since The Fragile.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Alternative Nation are the most irritating website for taking quotes out of context to make clickbait headlines. The latest is that 'Trent reznor reveals why he doesn't give a shit that rock is dead' which is the opposite way round to what he said, rock is dead but I don't give a shit

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    If I had to choose a specific moment that forever cemented NIN as a band that would become my favorite ever and change my life, it would probably be that part in Right Where It Belongs where it finally goes from distant and muffled to clear and in-focus. Trent solemnly singing about isolation and the state of existence with a piano and some fuzz to sudden roaring applause. Oof. That did a real number on high school me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    What happened to those playlists that Trent made on Spotify? The ones where he basically gave us all the songs they played on the PA before coming on stage? They seem to be gone.

I just want to get a peek again into what he listens to lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    For a few years now, Trent and Clive Owen have looked rather similar to me. Anyone else see that?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    What happened to those playlists that Trent made on Spotify? The ones where he basically gave us all the songs they played on the PA before coming on stage? They seem to be gone.

I just want to get a peek again into what he listens to lol.
    There's 11 available here (not sure if this is the full list; only the Definitive Tracks collections are currently public and complete):

Current Driving Music
    Definitive NIN – Deep Cuts
    Definitive NIN – Heavy
    Definitive NIN – Quiet Tracks
    Definitive NIN – The Singles
    NIN Set Change '07
    NIN Set Change '08
    NIN Set Change Farewell
    NIN Set Change I Forget When
    NIN/JA Set Change '09
    (Real Men Wear) Parachute Pants

There is a fifth public playlist named My Shazam Tracks which only has "Coelacanth I" by deadmau5.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There's 11 available here (not sure if this is the full list; only the Definitive Tracks collections are currently public and complete):

Current Driving Music
    Definitive NIN – Heavy
    NIN Set Change '07
    NIN Set Change '08
    NIN Set Change Farewell
    NIN/JA Set Change '09

There is a fifth public playlist named My Shazam Tracks which only has "Coelacanth I" by deadmau5.
    thanks, for some reason I couldn't find them on Spotify mobile

update... I’m on my phone again and the playlists aren’t showing up. I guess it’s a weird thing on the app.
    Last edited by ton; 10-29-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    thanks, for some reason I couldn't find them on Spotify mobile

update... I’m on my phone again and the playlists aren’t showing up. I guess it’s a weird thing on the app.
    Try this. Think of it akin to powercycling your modem, forcing updates/changes through the network:

Add the playlists to your account from the desktop (full) version. Switch both your mobile app and desktop to "Offline Mode" in Settings. Keep it off for up to 15 minutes and turn both back "Online". This should force Spotify to sync data across platforms.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Try this. Think of it akin to powercycling your modem, forcing updates/changes through the network:

Add the playlists to your account from the desktop (full) version. Switch both your mobile app and desktop to "Offline Mode" in Settings. Keep it off for up to 15 minutes and turn both back "Online". This should force Spotify to sync data across platforms.
    Thank you, this finally worked using this method!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The more I listen to “The Lovers,” the more I fucking love it. The live performance leaves a lot to be desired though. I wish they didn’t use a recording of the whispered lyrics. Maybe it’s just too fast and difficult for Trent to sing live.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I wish they didn’t use a recording of the whispered lyrics. Maybe it’s just too fast and difficult for Trent to sing live.
    I actually love that aspect of the live performance, mainly because it comes across as Trent playing a character in a story in that moment instead of him just performing the song. It's almost as if the words are too much for him to say himself, so he has to disconnect from it and play it back through the tape recorder so people can understand him and where he's coming from. I don't think it's laziness on his part. I think it's just a more interesting way to do it than just playing the lyrics back through the PA while Trent stands around and waits to come back in. He can be present in the moment at least.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Current Driving Music
    Definitive NIN – Heavy
    NIN Set Change '07
    NIN Set Change '08
    NIN Set Change Farewell
    NIN/JA Set Change '09

Awesome! I'll have lots of new tunes to listen to at work this week! I'll just have to put up with those awful ads a little longer I guess - goddamn Subway and CarToGo!