Page 387 of 398 FirstFirst ... 287 337 377 385 386 387 388 389 397 ... LastLast
Results 11,581 to 11,610 of 11911

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I knew someone should have asked TR about MM
    Interesting indeed. I'm not a Manson fan as such, but for a while there he was bloody good. I'll be interested to see what comes of this, if anything.

Generally it just feels nice that Trent is reaching out and making friends with Manson and with Al Jourgensen too. Life's too short for some of the bitter feuds we see in this business, so it's cool if old friends can just hang out and put the past behind them. It certainly seems like Al is a lot happier and healthier than he was a few years back, and while Manson looks like he's got a little way to go yet, maybe this is a positive step forward. Good luck to 'em.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Obviously Trent isn't in the same mood at all, Al is ...not dead yet ? I heard he died on stage in paris... very sick, all inked and ironed. Manson is ... oh my god he succedeed at becoming worst than he already were... his new video is ridiculous, he looks like he cannot move anymore and you can hear how his voice lost it even on studio sound now... At least Al got an excellent show even if he turned more metal than ever. I don't see what we can do with Manson except an intervention ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Lost interest in Manson after HolyWood. Thought the guy became a fucking parody of himself...but I gotta say, Pale Emperor was a pretty sick record...the new song sounds good, maybe all is not lost in MM land. But if he wants to get onstage with NIN, he better be on his fucking game and not be falling off stages and forgetting lyrics

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Lost interest in Manson after HolyWood. Thought the guy became a fucking parody of himself...but I gotta say, Pale Emperor was a pretty sick record...the new song sounds good, maybe all is not lost in MM land. But if he wants to get onstage with NIN, he better be on his fucking game and not be falling off stages and forgetting lyrics
    I thought the new record was kinda forgettable, I don't think any track there was good as the best tracks from The Pale Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have created a Soundcloud account and seemingly still cannot download that Q and A audio, am I doing something wrong?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Who the hell knows if Trent meant for these EPs to be in sync with each other, but “Less Than” fades pretty damn well into “Dear World,”

Are you less than?
    Yes. Everyone seems to be asleep.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Today I walked into a huge store with my girlfriend and there were a couple of bluetooth speakers for sale that were playing a random playlist. The exact moment we walked in fucking Complication started playing. We both know each other through NIN and this was just a surreal moment for both of us. Especially considering we're in Europe and NIN really isn't a big thing here, so the chances for this happening are un-fucking-believable.

Needless to say, I was really inclined to buy those damn speakers. That's some next level advertising right there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Seeing the Add Violence CD reminded me of this:

I miss when each different release of a Halo meant it got some modifier to its Halo number.

For instance: the deluxe edition of TDS is Halo 8 DE. The CD version of The Slip is 27 CD-LE, while the vinyl is 27v. But the vinyl version of NTAE isn't 29v, it's just 29. The CD version of Add Violence looks like it's just 31, not 31CD or something.

The Definitive Editions are all just their original Halo numbers, which I get in the sense that they're suppose to be exact replications of the original releases. But it's still a little disappointing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post

I miss when each different release of a Halo meant it got some modifier to its Halo number.

For instance: the deluxe edition of TDS is Halo 8 DE. The CD version of The Slip is 27 CD-LE, while the vinyl is 27v. But the vinyl version of NTAE isn't 29v, it's just 29. The CD version of Add Violence looks like it's just 31, not 31CD or something.

The Definitive Editions are all just their original Halo numbers, which I get in the sense that they're suppose to be exact replications of the original releases. But it's still a little disappointing.
    Isn't that more of a (somewhat) recent addition? I thought all the halos before the TDS reissue had uniform halo catalog numbers across each release, since they all had the same content. My old copy of TF on vinyl (RIP) was just halo fourteen. I remember the same for the closer to god singles too.

If anything those few releases with identical content and semi-unique catalog numbers you mentioned (obviously not TDS DE since that had a whole bonus disc and three exclusive tracks) were the anomalies, not these. We've gone back to sanity!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That never happened between CD and vinyl back in the day, either. None of the albums, EPs, or singles got a special "modifier" to distinguish between CD and vinyl. Think about it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I wish Trent would bring “The Great Below” back to the live setlist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I'm not sure if Trent could still sing that track without a drop in key (a la We're In This Together)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Isn't that more of a (somewhat) recent addition? I thought all the halos before the TDS reissue had uniform halo catalog numbers across each release, since they all had the same content. My old copy of TF on vinyl (RIP) was just halo fourteen. I remember the same for the closer to god singles too.

If anything those few releases with identical content and semi-unique catalog numbers you mentioned (obviously not TDS DE since that had a whole bonus disc and three exclusive tracks) were the anomalies, not these. We've gone back to sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    That never happened between CD and vinyl back in the day, either. None of the albums, EPs, or singles got a special "modifier" to distinguish between CD and vinyl. Think about it.
    So, I'm a little off-base here. I was under the impression that the divergent labeling started with The Fragile. It actually appears to have started with With Teeth instead, which is labeled as Halo 19 v. All of the major releases after that have divergent Halo labeling - 20/20 DVD, 22/22 HD, 24/24 v, 25/25 v, etc.

There's only one example prior to that, which is 10/10v2 for the US/non-US versions of Further Down the Spiral. The other ones are either different releases entirely (like with And All That Could Have Been/Still) or were post-Fragile releases of pre-Fragile work (Pretty Hate Machine [02/02R] and TDS [8/8 DE etc.]).

So it is a more recent thing for sure, but not necessarily an anomaly, or an ultra-recent thing. I think this mostly just exposed my age and general preference for the post-Fragile era.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    I'm not sure if Trent could still sing that track without a drop in key (a la We're In This Together)
    IIRC, on AATCHB live release it was already 1/2 tone lower

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

So, I'm a little off-base here. I was under the impression that the divergent labeling started with The Fragile. It actually appears to have started with With Teeth instead, which is labeled as Halo 19 v. All of the major releases after that have divergent Halo labeling - 20/20 DVD, 22/22 HD, 24/24 v, 25/25 v, etc.

There's only one example prior to that, which is 10/10v2 for the US/non-US versions of Further Down the Spiral. The other ones are either different releases entirely (like with And All That Could Have Been/Still) or were post-Fragile releases of pre-Fragile work (Pretty Hate Machine [02/02R] and TDS [8/8 DE etc.]).

So it is a more recent thing for sure, but not necessarily an anomaly, or an ultra-recent thing. I think this mostly just exposed my age and general preference for the post-Fragile era.
    Yeah, I'm not sure how old you are or how vividly you remember it (I got into NIN at the age of 9 or 10 with TDS, because my depression is strong) but around the time of the gap between AATCHB and WT, there was a proliferation of new formats and an explosion of legal and illegal consumer choices that made literally everyone in the music industry lose their minds. There is a video of Trent saying "Damn - you can watch video on two different formats now with different surround audio options or just on the internet entirely? Oh, wait, now it's four?!" that has been taken down multiple times due to copyright notices, possibly by Trent himself, due to the fact that he briefly slips into an embarrassing Pennsylvanian accent.

Less goofily though, the alternate labeling should indeed have continued with TF, as it started with FTDS having alternate content, as you said. I don't believe halo three has a "v2" labeling in the U.K., so I guess FTDS is the start of modifying the halo number. It's a little odd that The Slip had the "v" numbering for the vinyl since it's identical to the CD audio minus the DVD. Different formats didn't get different designations until AATCHB. The Slip seems to be the true anomaly, since it has the same tracklist; WT has a bonus track. My memory of post TF NIN is fuzzy as that's around the time I stop paying obsession-level attention to Trent anymore and I should have looked it up. The DE/R markings on TDS and PHM make sense since there is bonus material, whereas the only difference on these DE releases are catalog numbers, paper stock, credits (no Malm or Sheridan, and some other updated info – it seemed odd to remove the old crew that helped make the albums possible; very Stalin-esque) and either much or slightly louder audio.

Curiously my TDS vinyl doesn't even have a halo number on the back - just an Island Records catalog number. In fact I'm not sure "halo eight" exists in the U.K. So ... I guess there's always been oddities.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 09-24-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Most NIN are better with headphones. None moreso than “Dear World,”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    After Riot Fest, I was looking at the setlists that I've seen in the past and I was thinking the same thing about a few other songs. La Mer, The Line Begins to Blur, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, Last, and Into the Void (the last two I've never had the pleasure of seeing live)... And then there are the songs that have never been played: Sunspots, My Violent Heart, Zero-Sum (except for the "tease" at the end of In This Twilight), Demon Seed, The Idea of You, and of course The Perfect Drug. If I heard any of those live I'd be super-ultra-mega-pumped, no doubt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Always interesting to me how Trent, a regular small town guy (albeit with an insane talent), was plagued by feeling he was never good enough. And so it motivated him to work an incredible amount, to get to a station in life that few ever get to. And now he seems comparatively happy. I'm a depression sufferer myself and don't mean to give a "mental illness isn't real" speech but sometimes it feels as if another interpretation of such feelings is that it almost seems like his future self was telling him to keep working and to keep pushing through everything to get somewhere that he probably couldn't fully understand as a younger person. (Not to gloss over the fact that these feelings were so exhausting that he had to self-medicate.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    After Riot Fest, I was looking at the setlists that I've seen in the past and I was thinking the same thing about a few other songs. La Mer, The Line Begins to Blur, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, Last, and Into the Void (the last two I've never had the pleasure of seeing live)... And then there are the songs that have never been played: Sunspots, My Violent Heart, Zero-Sum (except for the "tease" at the end of In This Twilight), Demon Seed, The Idea of You, and of course The Perfect Drug. If I heard any of those live I'd be super-ultra-mega-pumped, no doubt.
    I was lucky enough to see “Into The Void” during the Tension tour. I pretty much lost it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    I might have to read this bio after all
    I'm not sure if I'm amused or mortified that Al Jourgensen could apparently suck his own dick but based on what I've heard about him over the years I guess I shouldn't be surprised?
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 09-26-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    I might have to read this bio after all
    Bill Hartman's final comment really makes this, though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Bill Hartman's final comment really makes this, though.
    Agreed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    brought on by my current state of NIN-mania-
    ..and Lords of Acid with En Esch, KMFDM with ohGr
    DAMN I WISH I KNEW WHERE MY WAXTRAX BLACK BOXSET WAS PACKED...
    i'd be dusting that shit off!
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 09-27-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would hate to be the person who has to clean up all that tape at the end of each gig.

Actually I would love to be that person. Why do I lie to myself...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Time stretching artifacts be damned... I'd really like to hear Can I Stay Here? with the vocals of Capital G.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quietime View Post
    "What is, Tapeworm?"

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    For quite some time, I've imagined a Nine Inch Nails box set containing all of the albums from Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    For quite some time, I've imagined a Nine Inch Nails box set containing all of the albums from Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.
    Whilst that would never happen (different labels!) why those albums? One more and you have the end of NIN being on label, one less and it's all pre-recovery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My mother called me tonight and informed me this was an answer on Jeopardy. She said her and my father both answered simultaneously. I guess my talking incessantly about NIN over the years has finally added some value to their lives lol. That and the occasional answer to the crossword puzzles my mom enjoys.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Whilst that would never happen (different labels!) why those albums? One more and you have the end of NIN being on label, one less and it's all pre-recovery
    I just thought of it as a greatest hits release, but with entire albums featuring Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, and just having With Teeth included since it was also a hit.

To give you an example, it came to mind when I thought of these Radiohead and Korn releases I found on Amazon.com. (But yes, I see what you mean since those albums are on the same label, which is why it really was done out of sheer imagination and wishful thinking.) Anyway, I just thought of using those bands as an example since I recall you following both bands before if I remembered correctly.

The Radiohead box set had Pablo Honey up to Hail to the Thief. (Which I also understand, since In Rainbows was their first album post-EMI.)

As for Korn, they had a release with Korn up to Untouchables. That also came out after Take A Look in the Mirror, but I was surprised to see that it wasn't included, since it only came out the following year after Untouchables while also still being on Epic/Immortal.

I have also considered those reasons before, but I was also playing around with that type of idea after seeing those types of releases by Radiohead and Korn. (In spite of it being unrealistic and impossible.) This also lead me to making up random imaginary box sets with other bands too.

I'm sorry, it was hard for me to actually explain, but I hope that these examples were clear enough.

@piggy - I hope that you can help me out too. We have actually brought up our sentiments of NIN before and after With Teeth too. I also think/hope that you'd easily get where I'm coming from here.

@elevenism - Come to think of it, I also wondered what your take on this sort of thing would be as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-27-2017 at 10:16 PM.