Page 386 of 527 FirstFirst ... 286 336 376 384 385 386 387 388 396 436 486 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,580 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Bill Hartman's final comment really makes this, though.
    Agreed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    brought on by my current state of NIN-mania-
    ..and Lords of Acid with En Esch, KMFDM with ohGr
    DAMN I WISH I KNEW WHERE MY WAXTRAX BLACK BOXSET WAS PACKED...
    i'd be dusting that shit off!
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 09-27-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would hate to be the person who has to clean up all that tape at the end of each gig.

Actually I would love to be that person. Why do I lie to myself...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Time stretching artifacts be damned... I'd really like to hear Can I Stay Here? with the vocals of Capital G.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quietime View Post
    "What is, Tapeworm?"

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    For quite some time, I've imagined a Nine Inch Nails box set containing all of the albums from Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    For quite some time, I've imagined a Nine Inch Nails box set containing all of the albums from Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.
    Whilst that would never happen (different labels!) why those albums? One more and you have the end of NIN being on label, one less and it's all pre-recovery

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My mother called me tonight and informed me this was an answer on Jeopardy. She said her and my father both answered simultaneously. I guess my talking incessantly about NIN over the years has finally added some value to their lives lol. That and the occasional answer to the crossword puzzles my mom enjoys.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Whilst that would never happen (different labels!) why those albums? One more and you have the end of NIN being on label, one less and it's all pre-recovery
    I just thought of it as a greatest hits release, but with entire albums featuring Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, and just having With Teeth included since it was also a hit.

To give you an example, it came to mind when I thought of these Radiohead and Korn releases I found on Amazon.com. (But yes, I see what you mean since those albums are on the same label, which is why it really was done out of sheer imagination and wishful thinking.) Anyway, I just thought of using those bands as an example since I recall you following both bands before if I remembered correctly.

The Radiohead box set had Pablo Honey up to Hail to the Thief. (Which I also understand, since In Rainbows was their first album post-EMI.)

As for Korn, they had a release with Korn up to Untouchables. That also came out after Take A Look in the Mirror, but I was surprised to see that it wasn't included, since it only came out the following year after Untouchables while also still being on Epic/Immortal.

I have also considered those reasons before, but I was also playing around with that type of idea after seeing those types of releases by Radiohead and Korn. (In spite of it being unrealistic and impossible.) This also lead me to making up random imaginary box sets with other bands too.

I'm sorry, it was hard for me to actually explain, but I hope that these examples were clear enough.

@piggy - I hope that you can help me out too. We have actually brought up our sentiments of NIN before and after With Teeth too. I also think/hope that you'd easily get where I'm coming from here.

@elevenism - Come to think of it, I also wondered what your take on this sort of thing would be as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-27-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Well, it would make sense for one of those "album classics" sets, since they always have five and Broken could more or less count as an album (provided the label saw it that way, too.) But yeah, thinking of it as the "mainstream" years of NIN would also make sense. The last time NIN truly had a "hit" was 2005, so it could be a set that covers the years when NIN was still on the charts and more in the public consciousness.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Whilst that would never happen (different labels!) why those albums?
    Actually, I've been thinking about this recently. I believe Trent will be able to regain all copyrights to Pretty Hate Machine in 7 years:

https://futureofmusic.org/article/fa...ight-reversion

In fact, he's already within the 10 year notification window, so he could have already informed the current rights holders that he intends to revert the copyright in 2024.

After that, he's free to make that collection with Interscope. And, of course, in rolling succession, he'll be able to revert copyrights for Broken, TDS, etc.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I just thought of it as a greatest hits release, but with entire albums featuring Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, and just having With Teeth included since it was also a hit.

To give you an example, it came to mind when I thought of these Radiohead and Korn releases I found on Amazon.com. (But yes, I see what you mean since those albums are on the same label, which is why it really was done out of sheer imagination and wishful thinking.) Anyway, I just thought of using those bands as an example since I recall you following both bands before if I remembered correctly.

The Radiohead box set had Pablo Honey up to Hail to the Thief. (Which I also understand, since In Rainbows was their first album post-EMI.)

As for Korn, they had a release with Korn up to Untouchables. That also came out after Take A Look in the Mirror, but I was surprised to see that it wasn't included, since it only came out the following year after Untouchables while also still being on Epic/Immortal.

I have also considered those reasons before, but I was also playing around with that type of idea after seeing those types of releases by Radiohead and Korn. (In spite of it being unrealistic and impossible.) This also lead me to making up random imaginary box sets with other bands too.

I'm sorry, it was hard for me to actually explain, but I hope that these examples were clear enough.

@piggy - I hope that you can help me out too. We have actually brought up our sentiments of NIN before and after With Teeth too. I also think/hope that you'd easily get where I'm coming from here.

@elevenism - Come to think of it, I also wondered what your take on this sort of thing would be as well.
    having been a hardcore fan since broken, I think it would be fucking great. I would definitely want it to be every halo like that expensive LZ box set though. Get the whole collection, remastered, for like $300. And I think it WILL happen eventually

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I would love to have a massive NIN box set for every halo plus a book with liner notes about each release written by fans of the band including musicians and composers. I would pay $500-$1K for that shit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Big Man With A Gun always makes my head pound, heart beat realy fast, and makes me want to do the most violent shit ever. Whenever I'm doing wind sprints to this song I start getting dizzy during "me and my fucking gun" at the end

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    There's only one example prior to that, which is 10/10v2 for the US/non-US versions of Further Down the Spiral. The other ones are either different releases entirely (like with And All That Could Have Been/Still) or were post-Fragile releases of pre-Fragile work (Pretty Hate Machine [02/02R] and TDS [8/8 DE etc.]).
    (Throwing this one in there):

"The Hand That Feeds" is labeled as "HALO_18", while the Hot Topic picture disc is labeled as "HALO_18 V2"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I wish Trent would bring “The Great Below” back to the live setlist.
    YES. Such a beautiful song. I have been listening to Deviations a lot and really marvel about how good it is.
    I remember seeing it live on Fragile 2.0 tour and the climax with the video of the person falling into the water made me lose control over my bladder.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Howard Stern once again offhandedly insults Trent Reznor (at around the 39:10 mark):

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "REZZZZ-SNORE" is... Too bad they cut 'Trent' out. Hopefully a better video surfaces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ Trent isn't cut out. It's just how FB loops the clip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wish Trent would bring "Deep" back into the live setlist.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Another song Trent needs to start performing live again:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love Was It Worth It, but there is no way it's from the Fragile Era

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    I love Was It Worth It, but there is no way it's from the Fragile Era
    I found myself thinking that about most of the extra tracks from Deviations. I reckon what was left over was very patchy and TR/AR had to pretty much construct new pieces around tiny little bits of leftovers.

There doesn't really seem to be any era of NIN that has very much unreleased stuff anyway. Aside from remixes, I mean. There are things like A Violet Fluid and Non Entity and all that, but they all turned up on official releases at some point. Or Now I'm Nothing, which probably doesn't have a studio version at all.

If I take a look through some folders on my own laptop here, I probably have 200 little sketches of musical ideas which never got off the ground in any way. I'd imagine what didn't make it on to The Fragile in the first place was mostly just things like that. I would be surprised if there was even a single completed song which hasn't already made its way on to some release or another.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ^^ You guys sure about that? They had a team of top-notch contributors (all working crazy hours for two full years) on The Fragile recording sessions, and by every account there was a LOT of disparate material left over.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^^ You guys sure about that? They had a team of top-notch contributors (all working crazy hours for two full years) on The Fragile recording sessions, and by every account there was a LOT of disparate material left over.
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of that over the years and I've always hoped that would be the case, that there would be another 2 albums worth of unreleased gems knocking about somewhere. The point where I started to become skeptical was when I heard Claustrophobia Machine. It basically sounds like some old thing that I wouldn't even release had I made it myself, and that thing making the cut didn't bode well for the rest of the fabled unreleased stuff. So when I listened more closely to the rest of the extra tracks, I began to form the opinion I've expressed in my above post.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I found myself thinking that about most of the extra tracks from Deviations. I reckon what was left over was very patchy and TR/AR had to pretty much construct new pieces around tiny little bits of leftovers.

There doesn't really seem to be any era of NIN that has very much unreleased stuff anyway. Aside from remixes, I mean. There are things like A Violet Fluid and Non Entity and all that, but they all turned up on official releases at some point. Or Now I'm Nothing, which probably doesn't have a studio version at all.

If I take a look through some folders on my own laptop here, I probably have 200 little sketches of musical ideas which never got off the ground in any way. I'd imagine what didn't make it on to The Fragile in the first place was mostly just things like that. I would be surprised if there was even a single completed song which hasn't already made its way on to some release or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think NIN has a lot of unreleased stuff pre-YZ (up to With Teeth), actually. I recall Dave Grohl saying that what he thought was TR's best work is still yet to be heard in an interview a few years ago.

When I look at other bands that have plenty of bootlegged studio materials, I can't help but think that Trent must be really good at keeping stuff unreleased.

This man has created music for 30 years, and since Broken - look at what we've got. Remixes aside, 3 demos from TDS deluxe, Top Of The Hour and ZiggyTardust (aka Lost Fragile Tracks). I think that's it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    No doubt that some of these songs were completed but unreleased, but the idea of taking something sketchy and making it complete may have happened on some Deviations tracks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was listening to Niggy Tardust today, and it seems amazing to me, that if he had all this wealth of unreleased stuff, that he had to resort to reusing a track he had already given to somebody to pad out the Deviations release. I just don't think any more exists tbh. Well nothing that ever got past the bare sketch stage anyway.

And I'm as disappointed as anybody else with the realisation that the material simply isn't there. I had really hoped there was loads more from that era of NIN which happens to be my favourite.

I would love to hear a With Teeth Deviations next all the same, even if it was old sketches brought to full fruition in the now.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I reckon what was left over was very patchy and TR/AR had to pretty much construct new pieces around tiny little bits of leftovers.
    There's no evidence to support that, and I can't really see them spending the time to do that anyway. It's kind of pointless to make a musical sketch sound like an ever so slightly more detailed musical sketch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    There's no evidence to support that, and I can't really see them spending the time to do that anyway. It's kind of pointless to make a musical sketch sound like an ever so slightly more detailed musical sketch.
    Yeah maybe and maybe not. There is no evidence to the contrary, either. They certainly spent time on the instrumental versions of all of the tunes as it is, so why not spend the extra hour or two completing these little pieces?