Page 351 of 528 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 349 350 351 352 353 361 401 451 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,530 of 15824

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    NTAE tends to really overwhelm my car's speakers - I have to adjust my EQ settings a bit to get it reasonable, but for the most part I just wait until I can get some headphones on to listen to it.
    I burned a cd of it to listen to in the car and tracks 1, 3 and 5 are crackling like fuck. 2 and 4 no problem though. I wonder if it's my burning software?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I burned a cd of it to listen to in the car and tracks 1, 3 and 5 are crackling like fuck. 2 and 4 no problem though. I wonder if it's my burning software?
    Something easy to check - do you have a thing where it automatically adjusts the volume based on driving speed? It could be interfering. When I first put The Slip in the car, things were fucked (distorting or just wrong) because someone turned that dumb option back on that time without me realizing.
    Last edited by blassster; 04-01-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Something easy to check - do you have a thing where it automatically adjusts the volume based on driving speed? It could be interfering. When I first put The Slip in the car, things were fucked (distorting or just wrong) because someone turned that dumb option back on that time without me realizing.
    Cheers for the idea. Unfortunately that isn't it though. I burned another copy at -1db and it's still crackling it must be something software related. either that, or the album is too heavy to burn to CD. Which would also be very cool in an annoying sort of way..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    for the redditors on ETS: we're trying to make a NIN logo slightly above the radiohead logo on /r/place. More info here, let's make it happen!

update: we're making some progress

update 2: we did it reddit!
    Last edited by arsenic; 04-01-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I dont know where else to post this, but now its stuck in my mind:

Trent reznor:
    The way Atticus and i work is a result of years of figuring each other out. And its to the point now where we have a vocabulary where we can... euh... realy communicate without words. I think the part of our brains that dont work are complimented by the other guy who has that function that does work. He is more organised in a lot of ways than i am. I have things he doesnt have. I am realy talented, he is not.

atticus ross:
    Silently laughs.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I wonder if there's a deluxe version of Strobe Light that features that rumored duet between Trent and Britney Spears?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I wonder if there's a deluxe version of Strobe Light that features that rumored duet between Trent and Britney Spears?
    *sigh*

be still my heart.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    You know what? Britney has decent and unique voice. I bet Trent could get something pretty wild out of her. I wouldn't mind if they did something

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    You know what? Britney has decent and unique voice.
    If her voice is decent, then it's not particularly unique. There's plenty of singers out there who can carry a tune.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    If her voice is decent, then it's not particularly unique.
    Only if you think unique means amazing

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i would LIVE for a britney-reznor collab. or madonna. or gaga. or janet. all of whom (sans britney) have expressed admiration for nin in some form.

some of brit's beats would lend themselves well to trent's vocals, too.
    Last edited by kel; 04-01-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    If anyone else wants it, I made a ringtone from the near-end instrumental part of Even Deeper using the WT tour rehearsal version. I love Aaron's guitar here and it was stuck in my head https://app.box.com/s/3oswzctlpxk57vbe0qj6lng420wnh1im

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Only if you think unique means amazing
    Unique, to me, means something that's not being done by a bunch of other people. I don't think that describes her music at all.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't think that describes her music at all.
    Cool. But I said her voice. Which has a unique twang to it. In my scenario Trent would be doing the music side of things.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    for the redditors on ETS: we're trying to make a NIN logo slightly above the radiohead logo on /r/place. More info here, let's make it happen!

update: we're making some progress

update 2: we did it reddit!

I don't know what any of this means. What's that pixel logo representing at large?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't know what any of this means. What's that pixel logo representing at large?
    on April 1st reddit often does some kind of social experiment. Last year was The Button, this year is a huge pixel grid where every 10 minutes each user can draw a single pixel with a different colour. Therefore it takes time and coordination to draw a complex shape and other users can interfere and ruin your drawing as well. Collaborations are also possible, and that's exactly what happened with NIN and Radiohead fans.

You can see the a timelapse of the last 24h here. Our NIN logo starts to appear only toward the end.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Wait, didn't Trent and Britney shared a rehearsal studio for their respective tours and Trent offered to remix one of her songs?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Cool. But I said her voice. Which has a unique twang to it. In my scenario Trent would be doing the music side of things.
    Her voice is part of her music, no? It's at least one half of it anyway. My point, though, is that I don't think her voice is at all noteworthy or unique. It just is. She can carry a tune, but so can a lot of people. She's got a twang (I guess), but so do a lot of pop singers out there. What exactly makes her voice so special?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Cheers for the idea. Unfortunately that isn't it though. I burned another copy at -1db and it's still crackling it must be something software related. either that, or the album is too heavy to burn to CD. Which would also be very cool in an annoying sort of way..
    Are you trying to burn the 24/48 FLAC/WAVs? The software might be terrible at sample rate conversion down to 16/44.1.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    Breaking my head about fist fucking being mentioned in a song.
    if you havent figured it out yet -- you're thinking of "Wish"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Are you trying to burn the 24/48 FLAC/WAVs? The software might be terrible at sample rate conversion down to 16/44.1.
    He's right, when I converted all my Deviations and remaster files into 16/44.1 for my iPhone unless I reduced the volume of the tracks first they would always clip after conversion. Typically -0.5dB was enough to prevent any clipping but you might wan't to go -1dB to be safe if you want. You might want to leave -1dB if you want headroom for converting to lossy formats if the need arises in the future.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Unique, to me, means something that's not being done by a bunch of other people. I don't think that describes her music at all.
    pshht. her voice is unique as hell.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    pshht. her voice is unique as hell.
    Yes, I've heard that already. WHAT makes her voice unique?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    If the 2005 Rehearsal track list is to be believed, they planned to use ATLITW as a set opener.
    Please tell me more.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Please tell me more.
    The tracklisting I have seems completely thrown together, Gave Up is at the start and ATLITW is like 30th. I'm curious now

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Her voice is part of her music, no? It's at least one half of it anyway. My point, though, is that I don't think her voice is at all noteworthy or unique. It just is. She can carry a tune, but so can a lot of people. She's got a twang (I guess), but so do a lot of pop singers out there. What exactly makes her voice so special?
    I don't know, man. If you're saying that I can't specify her unique twang, which is different than others to me, to specify why I think her voice is decent and unique then I can't really carry on discussing this with you.

It's like saying "explain to me why you think that ice cream tastes like no other, but you can't tell me it's the taste because that's not it to me".

We just have different taste buds

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I think I did it a dumb way I converted down first and then reduced by 1db, where I should have reduced the volume and then converted down to 16/44. Third time lucky I hope

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I think I did it a dumb way I converted down first and then reduced by 1db, where I should have reduced the volume and then converted down to 16/44. Third time lucky I hope
    Sounds like quantization noise/harmonic distortion from not using dither​.

As far as headroom, people usually shoot for -3 db or -6 db.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    if you havent figured it out yet -- you're thinking of "Wish"
    Indeed. But it felt so out of place at the moment i was listening to Wish.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    I dont know where else to post this, but now its stuck in my mind:

Trent reznor:
    The way Atticus and i work is a result of years of figuring each other out. And its to the point now where we have a vocabulary where we can... euh... realy communicate without words. I think the part of our brains that dont work are complimented by the other guy who has that function that does work. He is more organised in a lot of ways than i am. I have things he doesnt have. I am realy talented, he is not.

atticus ross:
    Silently laughs.
    Quikly posting the link to where i got that from, for those who might not know: