Page 335 of 527 FirstFirst ... 235 285 325 333 334 335 336 337 345 385 435 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,050 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I still want that non-instrumental of The March.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i definitely think the best part of the new yahoo interview is this bit:
    That's seriously the photo the editors went with?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just did a google search, and it turns out there are plenty of decent photos of Trent and Atticus together. LOL at NY Times getting the wrong 'other guy' too... Oh well, all press is good press...

Edit: Re: Vitenam score - it will include 'reworked bits from Nine Inch Nails songs and their scores for “The Social Network” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”' - this is going to drive people (ie me) nuts.
    Last edited by ChipRock; 01-12-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i definitely think the best part of the new yahoo interview is this bit:

We’ve been f***ing around with 80 pieces of music, some of which may show up in some fashion here and there.
    I wonder how much of that includes the 32 Patriot Day songs, the 6 NtAE songs, or the handful of new TFD1 songs.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Also, this sounds super rad, depending on how integrated or obvious these sounds are in the music:

The filmmakers also provided field recordings from the period to inspire the compositions. “Mortars, helicopters, people talking — we would process those sounds and use them as rhythmic starting points,” Mr. Ross said.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I wonder how much of that includes the 32 Patriot Day songs, the 6 NtAE songs, or the handful of new TFD1 songs.
    that's when they were specifically talking about NIN material, and new material, at that, so i think the only things it would include from your list are the NTAE songs.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...-deviations-1/

pitchfork redeeming themselves this time around with The Fragile
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitchfork

Here, new tracks “One Way to Get There,” “Taken,” and “+Appendage,”
    Baaahahaaa

Still, I suppose Appendage really is is a bit of a deeper cut only the crazies like us remain aware of to this day. Good to see them try and clean up their dirty laundry, and the love for 10 Miles High is nice.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Interview about The Vietnam War documentary.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/1....html?referer=

He also says NIN is priority in 2017 though
    So which one is it? NIN is priority this year or no NIN releases this year?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Could be both, I suppose - he wants to focus on writing new NIN, but doesn't expect (or at least doesn't want to promise) that he'll have an actual full album ready for 2017. Sometimes albums take awhile to gestate!

Edit: I suppose, also, that focusing on NIN this year is going to include doing the Definitive Editions of YZ, Slip, and WT, and possibly other archival/revisit tasks that have been sitting on his plate for awhile. 'cmon Tension official video release! *stares wistfully into the middle distance*

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Fragile is still refered to as a '2xCD Disaster' in the With Teeth review on Pitchfork so your still allowed to shout at them if you like to do that.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Cunts, Still.

#newtracknames.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    He never said a new album was coming out. He said two major releases.

I will get my hopes up again for Tension Blu-Ray.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    The Fragile is still refered to as a '2xCD Disaster' in the With Teeth review on Pitchfork so your still allowed to shout at them if you like to do that.
    Despite the Fragile diss the way the With Teeth review is worded sounds more than the 6.5 score

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    That was before the relative love fest that began around 2007, and excluded Ghosts. Reviews notwithstanding, the coverage during 2008 and 2009 was colossal in volume and generally super-positive.
    Sounds like the positivity coincided with NIN going independent

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for a recap, but I'm feeling oddly nostalgic for ten years ago, so...

There was a marked up-tick in the positive way that online press covered NIN, coinciding with the reaction to Year Zero ARG activities and the online fan interaction it relied upon. But the rhetoric around Net Neutrality, Copyleft and so forth around that time also happened to align with TR's stance against Interscope price-gouging the Australian release of Year Zero in Spring '07. NIN wasn't truly independent until after the Year Zero remix album came out later that year, but whether that specific news had anything to do with it is hard to say. Ghosts, the NIN iPhone app, remix site, etc. all followed in pretty short order, each receiving amazingly positive coverage.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yeah, I think Trent's heavy online interaction at the time generated a larger, intensely involved community that spilled a long way beyond the usual fansites, creating a groundswell of interest and goodwill that crept into the wider media conversation. I wonder if the Social Network OST might not have won the Oscar if it was released today.

(Don't get me wrong, it's the most deserving winner of recent years IMO, but the subsequent scores haven't even been nominated.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Maybe there is some credence to the drums in "TIOY" having already been recorded many years ago. Grohl hasn't said anything about lately working with TR, correct? But, I'm convinced the lyrics and song itself are newly composed for many reasons.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I actually have been wondering if most of the elements from NTAE hadn't been lifted or cannibalised from old TF and WT sessions. I think Reznor and Ross have reused assets that never quite found a place, put them in a blender and gave us what it spit out.
    I even wonder if the whole thing isn't just a huge crazy collage, which IMO would be brilliant.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Yeah, I think Trent's heavy online interaction at the time generated a larger, intensely involved community that spilled a long way beyond the usual fansites, creating a groundswell of interest and goodwill that crept into the wider media conversation. I wonder if the Social Network OST might not have won the Oscar if it was released today.

(Don't get me wrong, it's the most deserving winner of recent years IMO, but the subsequent scores haven't even been nominated.)
    To be fair, at the time TSN really ushered in this idea that the classic orchestral score was no longer necessary for a "serious" movie and you could abscond a ton of scoring traditions. It was fresh, it was urgent, it was unheard of in that kind of a movie and it was new. It was a really unique, charged moment that symbolized a general industry shift, and since then we've been hearing it get used as an influence at best and straight-up stolen at worst in movie and television scores the world over. None of the subsequent scores have really had as large an impact or been seen as such a game-changer like TSN was.

(That said I still think Gone Girl deserved at least a nomination and it's a crime that entire movie didn't get more attention)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I actually have been wondering if most of the elements from NTAE hadn't been lifted or cannibalised from old TF and WT sessions. I think Reznor and Ross have reused assets that never quite found a place, put them in a blender and gave us what it spit out.
    I even wonder if the whole thing isn't just a huge crazy collage, which IMO would be brilliant.
    Trent mentioned in his most recent interview that it came about because Trent and Atticus started using some guitars and effects they hadn't used in a while, so I'm guessing it's not so much old tracks that have been repurposed, but older equipment that Trent and Atticus used and approached in a new, yet familiar way.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Trent mentioned in his most recent interview that it came about because Trent and Atticus started using some guitars and effects they hadn't used in a while, so I'm guessing it's not so much old tracks that have been repurposed, but older equipment that Trent and Atticus used and approached in a new, yet familiar way.
    The official phrasing is that they realized they didn't have to keep avoiding old styles to make good new stuff. They could write a song in the style of TDS (presumably "She's Gone Away") or WT (presumably "The Idea of You") without retreading anything. This led to using synths and stuff they haven't used in a while, as you say, but the instruments themselves were not the catalyst.

It also appears to bear some of the fruit from TR's "write a song in the style of another band" approach over the last year, which is probably why BB(FOF) sounds so much like Boris.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I wonder if anything TR says in these interviews regarding new album/tour is in fact 'not the actual events'.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I wonder if anything TR says in these interviews regarding new album/tour is in fact 'not the actual events'.
    Probably less "not the actual events" of what's going on, and more "trying to be proactive in not announcing specifics until everything is set and ready".
    Like, with the touring question. He doesn't say "No NIN will not be touring this year" he very specifically says "nothing is planned right now". Which I feel like is pretty much what he says every time he is in the process of planning a tour, but not everything is set yet to announce it. Because honestly, when has Trent ever but the time and energy and headache into a live show (especially one as big, logistically, as a festival show) and only had ONE show? He basically gave his typical non-answer of "I don't want to tell you anything yet, so just chill out for right now."

Hell, considering Kraw alluded to new merch "#soon", things ARE in forward motion. There would be no reason to put out NTAE shirts and such a month or more after the EP dropped. But to have them ready for the merch stand at shows? That makes sense.

The new album replies are likely because he felt a bit of a last minute crunch toward the end in getting NTAE out to us (I have no doubt that it was finished, production-wise, but just that the actual distribution may have been a little rushed, which is what led to the e-mail problems, etc). He may have finally learned his lesson about giving definite answers when it comes to releases, we all know how he likes to mention something he's working on, while he's working on it, and then either it gets scrapped, or turns into something else, or gets put on hold, or just takes longer than he expected. If this is the case, I can't say that I blame him.

Of course, I'm probably just talking out of my ass. NIN fans are known to speculate, pick at every little perceived detail, and come up with theories all the time. And on the flip side, Trent likes to fuck with us, be secretive, and do things we never would have guessed or expected. It's pretty much impossible to guess what happens next with NIN. But that's not a bad thing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I'm curious, when they release the "With Teeth" DE if it will include the tracks "Home" and "Non-Entity".

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I'm curious, when they release the "With Teeth" DE if it will include the tracks "Home" and "Non-Entity".
    Home is a good possibility since it was on the vinyl.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The only thing I prefer about Robin over Aaron being in NIN is Reptile because Robin’s vocals are mind blowingly good, whereas Aaron just monotoned the whole thing.
    But that’s the only thing, because otherwise Aaron kicks serious Robin ass.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    The only thing I prefer about Robin over Aaron being in NIN is Reptile because Robin’s vocals are mind blowingly good, whereas Aaron just monotoned the whole thing.
    But that’s the only thing, because otherwise Aaron kicks serious Robin ass.

What, you didn't like Finck's moves on Come Back Haunted? I love when hard rock guitarists dance on stage because they have no guitar riffs to play and nowhere to hide. If only '99 Finck couuld see this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    What, you didn't like Finck's moves on Come Back Haunted? I love when hard rock guitarists dance on stage because they have no guitar riffs to play and nowhere to hide. If only '99 Finck couuld see this.
    I think Aaron would've just done this...

And can you imagine him wailing all over Came Back Haunted? It fits perfectly with his style

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    With all this talk about festival appearances, I'm hoping Trent and co. will perform at FYF this year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love the fact that I look at 'users currently online' and 'the man whose name shall not spoken' is listed, and you can even see what thread he's looking at right now. I know I've probably broken some sort of code, and my wife'll say 'he's a human being just like you' but, fuck it, 'he' is amongst us as I type. I like that shit!