Page 291 of 527 FirstFirst ... 191 241 281 289 290 291 292 293 301 341 391 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,730 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    the Apple... office job
    I can't wait for his rock-star meltdown and inevitable follow-up album about how much he hates corporations. Or... maybe he's found happiness in slavery?

"the slave thinks he is released from bondage only to find a stronger set of chains"

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @Volband is your keyboard missing the D because I'm sure @Ryan would love to deliver it to you

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I really don't get how it makes sense for NIN fans to always be acting like the music industry of 1992 is somehow the same as 2016. Just because Trent Reznor had miserable times with TVT in 1992 does not mean that somehow Apple with a streaming service is just as horrible 24 years later. Digital content, streaming, downloads, viability of independent releases, vinyl resurgence, a decaying market for CDs, less focus on monetizing sales and more on promoting merchandise and tours -- it's so wildly different in general that it just sounds a lot like people "sounding" clever and smart -- "hey, hey, he's working for a totally different corporation after having bad times with totally different corporations, what a sell-out, eh?" than actually "being" clever and smart.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    that was great match

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I really don't get how it makes sense for NIN fans to always be acting like the music industry of 1992 is somehow the same as 2016. Just because Trent Reznor had miserable times with TVT in 1992 does not mean that somehow Apple with a streaming service is just as horrible 24 years later. Digital content, streaming, downloads, viability of independent releases, vinyl resurgence, a decaying market for CDs, less focus on monetizing sales and more on promoting merchandise and tours -- it's so wildly different in general that it just sounds a lot like people "sounding" clever and smart -- "hey, hey, he's working for a totally different corporation after having bad times with totally different corporations, what a sell-out, eh?" than actually "being" clever and smart.

How about he just continue to make music? Why does he give two fucks about streaming services? I don't see Mike Patton or Robert Smith or Dave Gahan or Eddie Vedder or Dave Grohl or any other musician getting involved in this nonsense. Who gives a shit if some teenybopper girl uses spotify or apple to stream the new Drake album? Most hardcore motherfuckers still buy their music in physical formats (cds/vinyl). Shit even Trent said he mostly buys vinyl these days....I never understood why he chose to take on this MASSIVE project which in the longrun is just taking him away from making music. It can't possibly be satisfying to him on a creative level having to deal with this corporate shit. a big fucking waste of time
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 07-11-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^sometimes I wonder if there's some aspect to this I don't get or am not privy to. He's not been able to come up with a working NIN website that's lasted that long, or a NIN store that hasn't had some fuckups for quite a limited amount of produce. So why does Trent, or more importantly Apple think he's the guy to solve their insanely complicated UI ?????? Especially when it has to be combined with iTunes. I'll eat my words if the new version of apple music turns out to be great but i'm not holding my breath
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-11-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I think he's more here for the UX rather than the UI. Sure they both overlap a bit, but there's a difference, and when it comes to Reznor the nuance would make sense.

It's not like Reznor was the web developer, or the community manager on any of those sites anyway, so I'm not sure why one would blame him for this. He's here to tell them how users want/should experience their program I believe, which hasn't anything to do with designing, proper. At best he'll draw a rough or two to drive his point across.
    Last edited by Khrz; 07-11-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    How about he just continue to make music? Why does he give two fucks about streaming services? I don't see Mike Patton or Robert Smith or Dave Gahan or Eddie Vedder or Dave Grohl or any other musician getting involved in this nonsense. Who gives a shit if some teenybopper girl uses spotify or apple to stream the new Drake album? Most hardcore motherfuckers still buy their music in physical formats (cds/vinyl). Shit even Trent said he mostly buys vinyl these days....I never understood why he chose to take on this MASSIVE project which in the longrun is just taking him away from making music. It can't possibly be satisfying to him on a creative level having to deal with this corporate shit. a big fucking waste of time
    It's almost as if Trent Reznor is a human being capable of different choices than other people and broad interests.

The guy has always shown interest in other ends of the music industry and has experimented with distribution for a while. He had his own vanity label and tried hard to make it into something. He experimented a ton with giving content away and fair-use copyright. He played around with fostering a remix community. Now he's interested in trying and seeing if he can make streaming something viable as an artist considering it's been moving in that direction regardless for a while now anyway, like it or not. I only think it's out of character for him if you have a very strict interpretation of how he's operated.

I'm sure if it wasn't satisfying that he could've walked away on many, many occasions. Instead he made a fuckton from the sale and has been continuously involved ever since. It's "a big fucking waste of time" if you're a fan who only wants new NIN music, but clearly, for him as a person who is a professional artist with an inclination to business skill, it's not, otherwise he wouldn't still be doing it.

Trust me, I wish all he'd do all the time is tour like a motherfucker and put on giant shows and release Tetsuo/Driver Down style albums with big booming vocals and do acoustic tours and do all-electronic tours and do really loud and heavy tours and do orchestral tours and just tour tour tour tour tour because no other band live comes close to NIN for me, and while we're fantasizing let's make all the tickets dirt-cheap, too, but I don't expect the guy to only be a slave to one thing if he doesn't want to do it just because it's what I would prefer.

You just seem so utterly convinced your set of priorities for Trent should be his set and that's just fucking stupid, honestly. The guy could flat-out retire from ever making music again and while I'd be extremely disappointed it's not like he wouldn't have a right to do so. And, hell, Grohl had that whole passion project of documenting that recording studio and restoring the mixing console and all that. It's not like these people don't have their own pet projects. Trent's just happens to make him millions of dollars and gets him a gig with one of the largest and most influential companies on Earth.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I don't really have a hard time believing that you might be so one-dimensional Bill, but most humans have interests and curiosities a bit more complex than being "music guy", for instance. Creativity isn't restricted to art.
    And damn, what he makes with Apple might actually be right up his alley, creatively speaking. Coming up with engineering solutions, improving user experience, tinkering with new business models, coming up with new and exciting concepts, having back-and-forths with like-minded people on a common project ? If you look at his past interests, that checks out 100% with the guy. You're free to find that utterly boring, but I can totally see why he would enjoy being involved in this.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I bet if you got Trent alone in a room and asked him if this is taking up more of his time and turning into more of a hassle than he initially thought, he would say yes it has....No doubt in my mind...I think when he initially started with this, he had zero clue at how much it would entail.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Same for being a parent, doesn't mean he regrets having kids. Hell, even making music is a fucking chore half of the time. I don't know what job you have, but I want it, it seems like it's an exhilarating and rewarding activity, every fucking second of it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I bet if you got Trent alone in a room and asked him if this is taking up more of his time and turning into more of a hassle than he initially thought, he would say yes it has....No doubt in my mind...I think when he initially started with this, he had zero clue at how much it would entail.
    You seem to know so much more about Trent's life and career than even he does. You should really send him some of your infinite wisdom sometime.

Remember back when Apple bought them? Yeah I'm sure he could've left at some point then after working for a while. Or when they decided to revamp things. I'm almost certain he's had plenty of chances to stop. He keeps doing it. It's as if he finds it to be a worthwhile use of his time and something different and exciting from the standard process of recording NIN material. Gee, who'd ever think someone might want to, after nearly thirty years, do some things a little out of the ordinary?

Simply put bill everyone knows how you feel on this, you've said it over and over again any chance you get and you're flat-out not adding jack shit to anything remotely resembling a discussion of any sort. It's ridiculous, dude. Find something new to whine about. I remember you used to at least go out on some insane limbs to bitch. What happened? You're losing your edge, man. You're in a posting phase that's akin to what you described Tension as!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It hasn't even been 3 years since Hesitation Marks. In the time since the album, we got the Gone Girl soundtrack, a few b-sides from Gone Girl, The Fragile instrumentals, With Teeth instrumentals, and Juno. Am I missing anything?

That's a lot of material in the past 35 months. I'm sure we can all wait a few more months for more music.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    It hasn't even been 3 years since Hesitation Marks. In the time since the album, we got the Gone Girl soundtrack, a few b-sides from Gone Girl, The Fragile instrumentals, With Teeth instrumentals, and Juno. Am I missing anything?

That's a lot of material in the past 35 months. I'm sure we can all wait a few more months for more music.
    Two of those were even NIN-related, wow!!!! But sure, credits where its due, in the last two years he did in fact release the instrumentals for WT and TF.

But why are you even going there to imply a GG soundtrack should quench our thirst for NIN? Night and day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Two of those were even NIN-related, wow!!!! But sure, credits where its due, in the last two years he did in fact release the instrumentals for WT and TF.

But why are you even going there to imply a GG soundtrack should quench our thirst for NIN? Night and day.
    Works for me, but still. It's not like he hasn't released ANYTHING since HM. Would I like another NIN album? Of course! But I'm not gonna blame the guy for having more than one project.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    Works for me, but still. It's not like he hasn't released ANYTHING since HM. Would I like another NIN album? Of course! But I'm not gonna blame the guy for having more than one project.
    I don't blame him either, wouldn't even blame him if he were to finish NIN for good. I blame him for absolutely neglecting his NIN fanbase. How busy you have to be to not be able to write 3 sentences on your (band's) Facebook about what's up?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Was there this much silence prior to the surprise Hesitation Marks announcement?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^
    IIRC, no. There was HTDA news (An Omen EP and album announcement), then there was a Reddit IAMA, Welcome Oblivion, HTDA tour news, then NIN tour announcement (mentioning new band with Belew and Avery), then the awkward Robin Finck return and only after that TR confessed that new NIN record is in fact already finished in secrecy.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I miss the late 2000s when Trent was so communicative online, even if it was to call certain people out on cuntiness quotient. It's that sort of fan interaction which can generate things like the Meathead Perspective.

It's so far the other way now that Trent's the musical equivalent of Valve. Operational transparency at a bare minimum, even about things the fans have been anticipating for the best part of a decade.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    At this point, even a little teasing would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure if Trent posted "." on NIN's FB page or at NIN.com, not only it would get a separate thread, but it would be simultaneously discussed in others as well at great length.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    My first thought when he tweeted in late December was that he had just bought himself another 12 months to finalize whatever he was doing.
    For all we know, we could release an album the same way Radiohead did, with little warning. This could happen in November and he would be faithful to his words.

The way he decides to release new NIN material is his prerogative.

We'll see but the fact that we haven't had any new announcements with regard to new NIN music doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I'll change my tune if we're at the exact same spot comes October/November.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I didn't know where to post this, so I guess I will post this here. I'm into H.P. Lovecraft and I collect his books, I love horror novels. I was searching his books on eBay and I came across this.
    Does this cover look familiar to you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Shadow-O...wAAOSw-KFXfCFx
    Direct rip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I didn't know where to post this, so I guess I will post this here. I'm into H.P. Lovecraft and I collect his books, I love horror novels. I was searching his books on eBay and I came across this.
    Does this cover look familiar to you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Shadow-O...wAAOSw-KFXfCFx
    technically the album (and its associated parts, including the artwork) was released under a creative commons license, so they're within their rights to use that image, i believe.

however, i don't know why on earth you'd use that image for that story.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    technically the album (and its associated parts, including the artwork) was released under a creative commons license, so they're within their rights to use that image, i believe.
    I don't think that covers commercial use though.

Edit : it doesn't, predictably.

The Slip was released under a Creative Commons attribution-noncommercial share-alike license, in effect allowing anyone to use or rework the material for any non-profit purpose, as long as credit is provided and the resulting work is released under a similar license.
    Last edited by Khrz; 07-12-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Oh boy! If I got Trent alone in a room I’d have a waaaay better question than that! I’ve always wanted to know, which was his favorite RAMBO movie?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    It's funny, because if some noname guy would've made it, he would've been called a pretentious, artsy wannabe, but I'm sure that this way many people think they are special because unlike us, they are fucking getting that music video. Sadly, all I get is a seizure.
    Not sure about CBH, but I do feel special for getting the Deep video's intentions of being a loving tribute to schlock cinema, especially Evil Dead and The War Of the Gargantuas, that doesn't even try to be serious or, uh, not shallow. It's a cool, stupid 4-minute action flick and with respect to TR, the perfect match for the song (which I happen to like, too).

TPD: I always thought it would have been a beautiful photoshoot, but the video itself is eh.... dunno. Take a shot every time Trent has to lean forward (while trying to still look cool and sing) to keep his whole body in the frame. It's like they had to work with the wrong lens or a green screen a size too small. Really funny once you notice it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Not sure about CBH, but I do feel special for getting the Deep video's intentions of being a loving tribute to schlock cinema, especially Evil Dead and The War Of the Gargantuas, that doesn't even try to be serious or, uh, not shallow. It's a cool, stupid 4-minute action flick and with respect to TR, the perfect match for the song (which I happen to like, too).

TPD: I always thought it would have been a beautiful photoshoot, but the video itself is eh.... dunno. Take a shot every time Trent has to lean forward (while trying to still look cool and sing) to keep his whole body in the frame. It's like they had to work with the wrong lens or a green screen a size too small. Really funny once you notice it.
    totally agree with the first half of your post, and disagree with the second half. i LOVE the perfect drug video and it's probably 90% responsible for getting me into NIN in the first place.