Page 155 of 528 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 255 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,650 of 15824

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkė View Post
    Ah, yeah. I can't decide if Ghosts stands as an "album"
    It's more of an album than Broken, at least it doesn't have 90% of its tracks untitled silence.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I wonder if I'm the only person here on ETS who's favorite NIN song is Down In It.
    Down In It seems to be generally liked around here, so I'd also doubt it. I'd also love to hear and see more Down In It live too. This clip from Closure always reminds me just how much more I love it live too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It's more of an album than Broken, at least it doesn't have 90% of its tracks untitled silence.
    But Broken does have 100% more vocals. Both are great albums.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    2 out of 8 tracks are vocalless so 75%

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    2 out of 8 tracks are vocalless so 75%
    93 out of 99, that's 6% of tracks with vocals, barely worth mentioning :P

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's worth pointing out that Ghosts contains the sound of someone breathing, and repeated requests to "get the door", so technically it is a vocal album. Might not be Trent's finest lyrics, admittedly.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I think I've thought of this before, but I'm also a bit surprised that I didn't post it any sooner. I've always thought that it would've been sweet if there was some way to have worked Now I'm Nothing with Pinion on Broken, and it would've seemed to have nicely fit into it anyway since it definitely has the Gave Up vibe in it. The mere thought of having the end of Now I'm Nothing disrupted with some static sounds into Pinion would've been awesome, but that's just me.

And speaking of Broken, it seems like I would've related to Broken when it first came out along with Now I'm Nothing. I can still recall feeling that way even as young as ages 6-8.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 06-06-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I think I've thought of this before, but I'm also a bit surprised that I didn't post it any sooner. I've always thought that it would've been sweet if there was some way to have worked Now I'm Nothing with Pinion on Broken, and it would've seemed to have nicely fit into it anyway since it definitely has the Gave Up vibe in it. The mere thought of having the end of Now I'm Nothing disrupted with some static sounds into Pinion would've been awesome, but that's just me.

And speaking of Broken, it seems like I would've related to Broken when it first came out along with Now I'm Nothing. I can still recall feeling that way even as young as ages 6-8.
    Looking at it 20+ years later, I wouldn't care how Now I'm Nothing was released, just to get an official recording from that time.

I could see it working well AFTER Pinion, but not before. You could probably make a pretty smooth transition into Wish from NIN, but then you have basically two intro tracks. Although, if you shortened Pinion a bit, led straight into NIN, shortened the outro for NIN and then led right into Wish, that would probably be pretty cool. It would be a shock to hear now, since it's always been followed by Terrible Lie, so they're almost like one song.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 06-06-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Either way could've also worked out for me when it came to Now I'm Nothing being at the beginning of Broken, but I definitely see what you mean there as well.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Rob Sheridan looks like the plastic bag kid from American Beauty. Every time I see either that movie or just a pic of Rob I can't help but think it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    he looks annoying.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    he looks annoying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So I joined a NIN group on Facebook, and I kind of see why the generalization of the NIN fan is what it is . . .

I was kind of expecting it to be a Facebook-esque version of ETS, but it's way different.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 06-08-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    So I joined a NIN group on Facebook, and I kind of see why the generalization of the NIN fan is what it is . . .

I was kind of expecting it to be a Facebook-esque version of ETS, but it's way different.
    What exactly is the generalization? Honestly aside from the 90's view of NIN fans I really can't think of a modern generalization.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    What exactly is the generalization? Honestly aside from the 90's view of NIN fans I really can't think of a modern generalization.
    The most generalized view that I encounter is that it's people who are generally dissatisfied with life in general, mopey, suicidal, etc. I've been asked by several people, upon finding out NIN is my favorite band, if I like to cut myself. Joking, of course, but I don't think Zeppelin fans get the same question.

There's not much doom and gloom on ETS, so I was kind of surprised to see so much of it over there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The most generalized view that I encounter is that it's people who are generally dissatisfied with life in general, mopey, suicidal, etc. I've been asked by several people, upon finding out NIN is my favorite band, if I like to cut myself. Joking, of course, but I don't think Zeppelin fans get the same question.
    That sounds sort of like teenagers in general, rather than NIN fans in particular. I wonder if that Facebook group tends towards younger fans for some reason. Don't take that as a criticism of teens, and I (at 33) am not exactly satisfied with "life in general" (who is?). But I am a fan of some groups that have generally younger fans, and I'm talking about mainstream pop music, not "dark" stuff - man, those message boards are really depressing sometimes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Oh god, all those groups make me want to stab myself in the face. I mainly only see them on my feed if @sheepdean comments on one of them. He has the patience of a saint.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm in something like 10 of them and they're all full of billpusiphers and the like. But there's also lots of lovely people in there, and more importantly, people who think that "real fans" exist, and who should be shut the fuck down.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    My fiance loves NIN too (our first date, and his first ever concert, was LITS), but he told me he won't go to NIN shows with me anymore because NIN fans are "generally assholes".
    And... well... I guess I kinda agree... I love a lot of you guys, and I've met some amazing people at shows.

I am sticking to ETS for my online NIN fan needs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    My fiance loves NIN too (our first date, and his first ever concert, was LITS), but he told me he won't go to NIN shows with me anymore because NIN fans are "generally assholes".
    And... well... I guess I kinda agree... I love a lot of you guys, and I've met some amazing people at shows.

I am sticking to ETS for my online NIN fan needs.
    Is it really that bad? I can't believe anyone who was a big fan would let others in the audience stop them going, if you're standing especially you can always move to another position.

It changed a bit in the UK, in 1999 at Brixton Academy the audience was particularly devotional, there was a guy running round the balcony with his shirt off and 'I'm Free' written on his chest, bizarre but no real arseholey behaviour from anyone. In 2005 / 2007 there was a definite increased quota of arseholes - I distinctly remember saying to my sister they should have IQ tests handed out that you have to pass before you're allowed in the show. but it's mellowed since then IMO

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Is it really that bad? I can't believe anyone who was a big fan would let others in the audience stop them going, if you're standing especially you can always move to another position.

It changed a bit in the UK, in 1999 at Brixton Academy the audience was particularly devotional, there was a guy running round the balcony with his shirt off and 'I'm Free' written on his chest, bizarre but no real arseholey behaviour from anyone. In 2005 / 2007 there was a definite increased quota of arseholes - I distinctly remember saying to my sister they should have IQ tests handed out that you have to pass before you're allowed in the show. but it's mellowed since then IMO
    He's overweight, so he gets heckled a lot, seat or floor.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    He's overweight, so he gets heckled a lot, seat or floor.
    What? I've never seen people be verbally abused like that at a show. What a shame

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I had one of those portable cd players that didn't show number of tracks so I had no idea - it was great when, nearing the end of Broken, my friend and I went to the kitchen to get a cup of tea, and came back to hear You're so Physical playing. It was a real what the fuck moment in the days before Internet, Easter eggs

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    In Cleveland, some douche was EXTREMELY mad that my "fat ass" wouldn't get out of his way. He kept talking shit, punched me in the back, and pulled my hair a couple of times. But that's the only time I have ever experienced anything like that. I ended up just sticking my ass out EVEN MORE to keep him away. He eventually went elsewhere. Everyone else was behaving like adults. He was the one asshole who was running around, screaming, and hitting people.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I once got crushed by an extremely large woman at one of the Brixton 2007 shows who proceeded to bitch about me shoving back for air. This was right when the band were playing The Fragile and it was the only time I've ever heard that song live. She needs a slap with a trout.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've had the luck of having had only a great experience with other NIN fans at a show; maybe one of the two I"m going to this year will change my mind, but the Orlando show from last year, at least where I was sitting, was really fantastic. Also, since it was Halloween, almost everyone was dressed up and viewing it as both a NIN show and a big costume party and in general everyone was just in a wonderful mood.
    @Sarah K : that's fucking ridiculous! No one did anything about the guy?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Not that I know of. He was only behind me for a few minutes before he went elsewhere. Hopefully someone ended up punching him.

Really though, NIN crowds seem to be about the most respectful up-front crowds that I have experienced. But there always has to be one asshole.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Listening to the Japanese tracklisting for TDS, with Dead Souls on, I really think the album is better that way

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Listening to the Japanese tracklisting for TDS, with Dead Souls on, I really think the album is better that way
    Yeah, while Big Man With A Gun into A Warm Place is a nice, jarring transition, Dead Souls into A Warm Place fits just as well.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I love the Illum Tangendo version with vocals so much. Her voice has so much longing in it and sounds so soft and fragile. Fits perfectly.