Page 12 of 528 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 512 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I'm soo in love with Self Destuct tour version of Eraser. Especially those Chris's drum fills before the lyrics start (at 2:44 in the video below).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I listened to "Terrible Lie" for the first time in months last night (the TOIOU version).

This song is fucking AWESOME.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The guitar riff in Marilyn Manson's 'Mister Superstar' is the guitar riff from 'Suck' backwards.
    Yes, I just learnt this. Sh.
    edit: Kinderfeld/Complication... any more?
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 04-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    no
    and you're nuts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    no
    and you're nuts
    Really? Seeing as NiggyTardust uses tonnes of elements from The Fragile isn't it also possible that an album produced by Trent with a lot of NIN playing on it might sound A BIT like NIN?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ^
    you made me play those mm's tracks in reverse and i heard no familiar riffs. i demand compensation for raping my ears!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kinderfeld

Kinderfeld actually sounds a lot like 31 Ghosts IV. Or vice versa.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I wanna listen to "Deep" REALLY fucking bad right now. And I will.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Mister Superstar = Beginning of the End
    Cryptorchid ending = Closer/TDS piano descending chromatic motif
    Last edited by jezstyle; 05-01-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I really hope Trent releases a list of all samples used in Ghosts one day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scramasax View Post
    I just got a gaming PC from a friend who built himself a new one and didn't need the parts of his last one and a great set of 5.1 speakers from a second hand shop. (Total cost...£8!) This meant that I was finally able to do something I've wanted to do for years.

Back in 2008 I went to New York City and while there I picked up the dual-disc of The Downward Spiral. Well I didn't have a 5.1 system then so it's sat on my shelf for almost 4 years. Yesterday I took it out and put it in and turned it up LOUD.

I could not believe how radically different the album sounds! It was like listening to it for the very first time, I noticed so many things I had never been able to hear before and fell in love with the album all over again. It was such a great expierence.

Today I played And All That Could Have Been in 5.1 and whle i had heard this in surrond before it was many years ago. Not quite as startling an experience as TDS but still drew me in very deeply. I hope I never have to go back to only the stereo. Up next, [With_Teeth] Tour Edition 5.1.
    If you played the SACD version ... I am sorry to burst your bubble but I very much doubt you actually listened to the 5.1 mix. What you probably heard was your speakers playing the left and right audio channels out the front and rear speakers simultaneously.

SACD reading disc drives simply don't exist for PCs.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblong Cheese View Post
    If you played the SACD version ... I am sorry to burst your bubble but I very much doubt you actually listened to the 5.1 mix. What you probably heard was your speakers playing the left and right audio channels out the front and rear speakers simultaneously.

SACD reading disc drives simply don't exist for PCs.
    TDS was released in both SACD and DualDisc formats. The DualDisc includes CD-Audio on one side and on the flip a 5.1 mix in DVD-Audio as well as DVD-Video.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    speaking of: someone actually did rip the SACD layer (just obviously not from a computer disc drive that magically reads SACD). i saw it upon a demonic, illegal sharing website at 88.2kHz. interested to see the frequency response...

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    speaking of: someone actually did rip the SACD layer (just obviously not from a computer disc drive that magically reads SACD). i saw it upon a demonic, illegal sharing website at 88.2kHz. interested to see the frequency response...
    The DualDisc DVD-Audio data, encoded as MLP, were at 24bit/48kHz, both in surround and stereo. SACDs can be nowadays ripped with a PlayStation 3 as images, which can be then read with software such as Foobar2000 (with the suitable DSD plug-in). Foobar can decode and rip SACD data as PCM audio at 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4kHz. However, I see the guy who ripped the TDS SACD used a much more sophisticated method. It kinda makes me think what would happen if Trent considered releasing some 24-bit NIN stuff at HDTracks.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Should we rename this thread to "Random NIN Dreams"?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    The DualDisc DVD-Audio data, encoded as MLP, were at 24bit/48kHz, both in surround and stereo. SACDs can be nowadays ripped with a PlayStation 3 as images, which can be then read with software such as Foobar2000 (with the suitable DSD plug-in). Foobar can decode and rip SACD data as PCM audio at 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4kHz. However, I see the guy who ripped the TDS SACD used a much more sophisticated method. It kinda makes me think what would happen if Trent considered releasing some 24-bit NIN stuff at HDTracks.
    indeed. i think the market is definitely there for "high resolution" (somewhat weird term for this) NIN content and TR is aware, he just seems to prefer making it available as parts of his own products rather than shipping them out to HDTracks or other services that would take a chunk of sales (see the GWTDT super-deluxe release with razorblade USB stick containing the whole thing at 24/96 — that's a mouthful...). perhaps it's the idea that the original resolution should be available as part of the overall product in at least one configuration, with which i massively agree.

sucks that the PHM re-release didn't include higher rez files. maybe the programming/recording was only done at 44.1 because he didn't know any better back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but Last is played over the closing credits of The Cabin In The Woods. I almost lost my shit when it came on, I really enjoyed the movie and then Last (my favorite NIN song) capped it off.
    That moment right after Spoiler: the giant hand reaches up through the cabin, and you have no idea what just happened to your brain and then Last starts playing is PERFECTION. There is nothing that could make me love that movie more, it was like a personal favor to me almost.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Fuck you, e-mail notifications, for revealing the content in the spoiler tags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Fuck you, e-mail notifications, for revealing the content in the spoiler tags.
    lol, sorry. On my list of recent posts I noticed the spoiler tags were stripped out too. This needs consideration, or better coding. Or whatever the terminology is, I don't know how to technology.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    lol, sorry. On my list of recent posts I noticed the spoiler tags were stripped out too. This needs consideration, or better coding. Or whatever the terminology is, I don't know how to technology.
    It's okay. You didn't do this on purpose, so you don't have to apologize. But from what I've heard, the movie is very enjoyable on the whole, so knowing about what happens in one scene probably won't ruin the experience for me; besides, I know virtually nothing about the movie, except that it's about some people in a cabin in the woods. So I'm going to watch it completely unprepared. After all, a movie ending with Last sounds awesome.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Or whatever the terminology is, I don't know how to technology.
    I lol'd. Grammar like this is the best.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Of of my favorite songs from one of my favorite game series:

I think it's easy to see why.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    One of my favorite game series [Unreal].
    That first generation of Unreal games was absolute gold. Beautiful engine (which still looks good today if you download an HDR renderer and high-res textures), overflowing with atmosphere, evocative music, classic level design and still-unparalleled gunplay. Unreal Tournament even had some great backstory lurking in the level and character bios.
    The ideal combination, in my opinion, is playing through Unreal 1 with UT's arsenal (using the OldSkool mod) at 80% gamespeed. I love how the smarter opponents can dodge your projectiles, and you can usually do the same against those of your enemies.
    I really think Epic was the world's finest developer at that time. On top of developing such amazing games in the first place, they released a massive amount of free DLC for UT. There's nothing quite like milking a war cow.

...Then they screwed the pooch with UT2003, flushing all that glorious atmosphere and backstory down the latrine with 'E-sports' pretensions, dire weapon balance, novo-Egyptian art style and ridiculous characters (I'm looking at you Mr Crow). '04 did quite a bit to remedy that with more industrial/ancient art focus, revamped single-player ladder and the sensational re-introduction of Assault mode, but the damage was done. Still, UT2004 is probably the best of the series from a competitive point of view; great weapon balance, and the versatile movement system rewards smart play.
    Similar story with Unreal 2 in that the original game wasn't much cop in my opinion, but was later transformed into a bit of a masterpiece with the XMP multiplayer add-on (I still think that's the finest multiplayer game I've ever experienced).

I thought UT3 turned out more fun and visceral than '04, but it's not exactly brimming with substance. I was a bit surprised at how poorly the game was received, I think it may be a similar situation to Civilization 5 in that the previous title offered such a comprehensive package that a further sequel seemed irrelevant.
    I wonder how UT would have faired if Epic had stuck by their original yearly-update plan for UT2003. EVE Online was launched around that time, and has remained popular to this day thanks to regular updates.

Sorry for the rambling. I've been awake far too long, and Unreal brings me out in a major case of "the good old days".

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Mum: So how was your touring last week? It looked like you had fun
    Me: Yeah, it was good
    Mum: Nowhere as good as your Nine Inch Nails tours though. Those look better.
    Me: Yeah, those are much better.

:'(

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^
    Someone needs to shine the Trent signal into the sky. Which is, of course, a sad face with a tear rolling down.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    This is a bit late, but..

My son was born 6 weeks ago. Barely hours after he was born, the first music he heard was March of the Pigs and Survivalism.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I had no idea about this. An early Elliott Smith track was "dissing" NIN.

http://gloriousnoise.com/2009/unrele..._elliott_smith

The YouTube link in there is dead, but you can see the title.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    This is a bit late, but..

My son was born 6 weeks ago. Barely hours after he was born, the first music he heard was March of the Pigs and Survivalism.
    Congrats - that was either a home birth or a VERY tolerant hospital

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Did you know..

that the current vocal of Negură Bunget (currently touring in US & Canada) is part of a Nine Inch Nails cover band which was featured on TOIOU at one point?
    Here are some recordings of one of their tribute concerts: http://www.no3.ro/2011/05/video-nine...ings-club.html