Page 110 of 528 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 210 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It's more than additional tracks, but not much more. Seriously, all you'll notice is that certain parts drag out longer, that's it. Nothing terribly interesting.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I like the clean intro of Pilgrimage on vinyl.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not sure why, but I would like for someone to make a mash-up of All Time Low and I'm Afraid of Americans and call it "I'm afraid of all-time American lows".

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    11 pages and 3100 words later, I gave a brief summary of Trent's hand in participatory culture. Calling it good enough since I went a little over what I was asked to write (but that's ok). I had to mention this somewhere that people would appreciate it.
    (Also, it was my last college paper ever)
    Congrats! I find it fascinating how Trent is so relevant in the ever so changing times. I wrote a 2 page section on the indie business model that Trent adopted with Ghosts and The Slip for my major labels vs. indie labels in my global business class over the summer.

Total random thought: I wonder if Trent watches QVC? If so, I wonder if he had ever said, "Mariqueen, I have to have that Today's Special Value!"

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was just listening to Purest Feeling again, and it really like how the influences from Ministry's With Sympathy and Twitch shine on that album. I'm also amazed at how it sounds, because it's sometimes as if I forget that there ever was a Purest Feeling.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I'm watching lots of live stuff, both pro-shot and fan-made. Just finished ZootZap's excellent Wiltern DVD. Next up in my watchlist are the HTDA Coachella webcast from RITC, Fuji Rock's webcast, Kercyx's Rock en Seine multi-cam DVD and the official Tension vid to top it off.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I was just listening to Purest Feeling again, and it really like how the influences from Ministry's With Sympathy and Twitch shine on that album. I'm also amazed at how it sounds, because it's sometimes as if I forget that there ever was a Purest Feeling.
    i'm not sure if you're talking about the Purest Feeling song or the demos bootleg, but OMG, i just downloaded and started listening to the bootleg and realized that i may have never heard the whole thing before.

EDIT: OMG! i'm actually enjoying listening to Kinda I Want To!
    Last edited by m15a; 12-15-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Honestly, I'd like to hear modernized versions of That's What I Get and Maybe Just Once at some point on this tour. If Trent's revisiting older material, it'd be neat to see Trent pick up the old tracks again. I also like Kinda I Want To but we know that's never happening. XD

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    i'm not sure if you're talking about the Purest Feeling song or the demos bootleg, but OMG, i just downloaded and started listening to the bootleg and realized that i may have never heard the whole thing before.

EDIT: OMG! i'm actually enjoying listening to Kinda I Want To!
    Oh, I was actually referring to the entire thing. I sometimes forget that it actually existed. I've also found myself getting very addicted to it as well. Oh yes, and a fellow ETS member also did this.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-15-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Trent seems to be a big fan of the bearded look, but whenever official promo/press/tour stuff starts he goes back to clean-shaven. Wonder why.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Trent seems to be a big fan of the bearded look, but whenever official promo/press/tour stuff starts he goes back to clean-shaven. Wonder why.
    beard = working on music
    shaven = tour mode

ETS has had lengthy-ass discussions on this. I wish that were a joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    TR alluded to this in an online chat circa 2000
    Huh, I never knew he was working on a new NIN album in 2000. I wonder what that ("abrasive") music would have sounded like.
    Thanks for posting that Q+A; I hadn't seen it before.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
    Huh, I never knew he was working on a new NIN album in 2000. I wonder what that ("abrasive") music would have sounded like.
    "Deep" is the only song we've heard that dates from this period.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I saw JMJ playing with Paramore during the Jingle Ball at Madison Square Garden. (There was a live stream)

It was cool, but weird.

Come to think of it, NIN has some ties to Paramore and it's pretty weird. Josh Freese and Ilan Rubin both played with them live, the latter also being on their new record. JMJ played with them and also produced their new record. How long before Trent and Hayley do a duet of Hurt? I would enjoy this very much.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 12-16-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    There was a live stream? Fuck. Is it up somewhere?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    AVOTT is really fun to play on acoustic guitar. Although a bitch to learn.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I like it, but it’s not an obvious live candidate. Too remix-y.

I’d expect a live version to be a kind of un-remix — TR asking himself what the “original” would have sounded like. But does he like it enough to bother?

That leads me to wonder: which version of The Fragile is the “real” one in TR’s mind — the vinyl or CDs? Has he ever said?

I could understand the loooong wait for the remaster if he’s going back to the vinyl version.

Edit: never mind, I see the answer to the vinyl-vs-CD question on Ninwiki.
    Some more 10 Miles High trivia from that interview posted above:

ofredearth: I noticed on the 10 Miles high (version) off of Things Falling Apart, the intro to the song is also on The Fragile, actually played backwards where we hear "I'm getting closer..." what was the purpose of "hiding" it into The Fragile like that and exposing it in the new album?

10 Miles High was a full song that had three completely different sets of lyrics and choruses during the course of its life span. When it came time to put the Fragile together, and decide what was gonna get kept, that song took a bullet. But we left a little reminder of it on there, and we put one of the versions on the vinyl version of The Fragile. There are other versions with varying degrees of embarrassing lyrics that are floating around the vaults here.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Don't mean to mod, but you really aren't supposed to be asking for stuff like that. (At least not so obviously.)

Anyway, it's cool, but not worth getting THAT excited for. Inserting 10 Miles High and The New Flesh into your track list on iTunes or whatever is the exact same effect -- there aren't any intros or fade-ins or blends with the other tracks like the rest of The Fragile. Unless I'm forgetting any examples, the extended versions of the songs just involve a bar or two extra of riffs and melodies -- nothing added musically, just longer. Like an extra bar to the TDTWWA intro. In fact, the biggest and most noticeable difference is just that Ripe (Without Decay) has LESS music -- if I recall correctly, the whole ending is lopped off.
    wait, what? the end of TMHBM has most of the intro to 10MH off the single. you can't just stick it in between in iTunes, it'll repeat the whole section. and TNF crossfades out the end of "Complication," which iTunes can't do correctly on its own.

and the end of LM is completely different with the other vocal samples and different-ish crossfade with TGB. you'd be surprised how many things are different if you pay attention the whole way through.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I take your point, but just about every other NIN song ever released has audible lyrics. The ones on the album version of "10 Miles High" are deliberately obscured. TR alluded to this in an online chat circa 2000:
    I read that chat and there was a big omen of what was to happen (TSN and TGWTDT). Ten years was an accurate estimate:

dirtwormus: Would you ever want to be involved in the film industry in a greater capacity than your involvement with Lost Highway? Very much so. I plan to eventually put an end to NIN and move more into film scoring and production work. And that will happen when I feel I've said all I need to say as NIN. And that could be next year or in ten years.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    wait, what? the end of TMHBM has most of the intro to 10MH off the single. you can't just stick it in between in iTunes, it'll repeat the whole section. and TNF crossfades out the end of "Complication," which iTunes can't do correctly on its own.

and the end of LM is completely different with the other vocal samples and different-ish crossfade with TGB. you'd be surprised how many things are different if you pay attention the whole way through.
    all these years, I have been waiting for a deluxe edition to finally hunt down the vinyl and listen

and now you're making me wonder if I should break my celibacy

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Came Back Haunted is my favorite NIN single. I think. I'm not getting tired of it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Wait one fucking second.

ninwiki is telling me that the lyrics of The Only Time are "I want to rip it up and swim in it until I drown" and not "I want to wrap it up and swim in it until I drown". Could this be true? Am I insane? This changes everything!

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Wait one fucking second.

ninwiki is telling me that the lyrics of The Only Time are "I want to rip it up and swim in it until I drown" and not "I want to wrap it up and swim in it until I drown". Could this be true? Am I insane? This changes everything!
    The lyric booklet claims "I want to drink it up and swim in it" - another wrench to throw in your brain...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    Came Back Haunted is my favorite NIN single. I think. I'm not getting tired of it.
    The live version is SO good, especially the performance on the Tension film. Lisa and Sharlotte sound really awesome toward the end of that song.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    The live version is SO good, especially the performance on the Tension film. Lisa and Sharlotte sound really awesome toward the end of that song.
    This song was made for Robin's backup vocals and crazy Robin raindance on stage

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    This song was made for Robin's backup vocals and crazy Robin raindance on stage
    There is nothing as wonderful as Robin's "dancing".

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I had a dream last night where I was seeing NIN but they were in my old high school's theater. They opened with 1,000,000 but the sound was fucked up so they said they would be right back after fixing it. It was like 3 hrs in dream time of just waiting for it to be fixed. Really strange dream. I woke up and went back to sleep and my next dream was just me cleaning the toilet.
    OK, I’m not hiring you to write my dreams.

By whatever algorithm determines Spotify’s rankings, Copy of A is more popular right now than THTF, and there are four HM tracks crowding out HLAH:

01 Closer
    02 Copy of a
    03 The Hand That Feeds
    04 Came Back Haunted
    05 All Time Low
    06 Find My Way
    07 Head Like a Hole
    08 Satellite
    09 Disappointed
    10 Dead Souls
    Everything had been hanging on at #10, but it lost its grip.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Dead Souls at #10? That's interesting.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Dead Souls at #10? That's interesting.
    Ain’t it? You look at it and think, “Wait — Dead Souls is more popular than Hurt?

That said, I do really love Dead Souls.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    By whatever algorithm determines Spotify’s rankings, Copy of A is more popular right now than THTF, and there are four HM tracks crowding out HLAH:
    Spotify always favors newer releases.

Notice the playcounts.