Page 106 of 528 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106 107 108 116 156 206 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Toad the Wet Sprocket. LOL.

from an interview.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I don't have the patience to sit through an album over and over again. For the first time I listen to it fro mthe first track to last, but then immidietly revisit the ones I liked. It took a good months to me to be able to fully appreciate HM. The moment came when I could actually decide whether I like Running or not.

Listening through TDS, or god forbid, TF is not an easy task - time and energy consuming. Maybe Year Zero is the most friendly in that regards - excluding Broken, which is pretty short.

Edit: occasionally I do listen to them wholly, but for example, I never listen WT in order - there's not much point.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I don't have the patience to sit through an album over and over again. For the first time I listen to it fro mthe first track to last, but then immidietly revisit the ones I liked. It took a good months to me to be able to fully appreciate HM. The moment came when I could actually decide whether I like Running or not.

Listening through TDS, or god forbid, TF is not an easy task - time and energy consuming. Maybe Year Zero is the most friendly in that regards - excluding Broken, which is pretty short.

Edit: occasionally I do listen to them wholly, but for example, I never listen WT in order - there's not much point.
    I feel that with TDS and The Fragile (left), I'm obliged to listen to them in track order because there's a narrative there. Listening in any other order is kind of James Joyce.

I guess it doesn't matter so much with something like The Slip or Ghosts I-IV, but even there, there are some tracks that really have to be listened together to be fully appreciated. Corona Radiata is nice on its own, but it changes completely once you put Lights in the Sky in front. It retains its expansive nature but since you're left to mull over the lyrics from LITS, it becomes much more poignant and meaningful. Similarly, the last few tracks on With Teeth and Year Zero are a must to listen to in order.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

How is listening to an album in full time consuming? If you were going to listen to music anyway, then listening to 16 tracks in order takes no longer than listening to 16 other tracks. By not giving albums a chance, you end up in a vicious circle of assuming there's never a point of listening to them in full

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    To be fair, it's not that easy to take 75 full minutes of your free time to listen to an album from start to finish, while giving it all your attention. Listening to it while working, browsing or doing the dishes doesn't count, you're hearing it, but you're not really listening.
    It's way easier to give it 5 or 10 minutes here and there.

But yeah, especially when it comes to artists like Reznor, albums have a rythm and an arc, tracks are in a certain order for a reason, so when you're just flipping through it, you're losing that dimension. I don't even know how you can listen to The Fragile partially, or randomly. Like TDS, each track depends a lot from the other ones surrounding it. A Warm Place, Big Man With A Gun make no sense, musically, if you take them out of context...

But I do understand how difficult it can be, especially in that digital age where you can have a new album every day. Before internet, I would get the money and the interest for an album a month, two at best...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Listening to it while...doing the dishes doesn't count.
    That's what my 150 track 'best of Reznor' mp3 cd's for

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Forever comparing the latest tour to Stop Making Sense:

edit: it'd be good to know how much of the European tour will resemble the Tension tour, just so I know whether to watch the stream or not
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 12-05-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I rarely ever listen to music on shuffle. The collection is way too big and the shuffled playlist goes in every direction with every next song, it's annoying. If I do, I find myself sometimes skipping 20-30 song before I finally settle on one.
    It took me a long time to realize that there really are a lot more people that have preferred to listen to music this way since 1999-2000. I used to assume that most people would download (Especially if they weren't into buying CDs or records altogether.) entire albums or discographies and then go inside each album individually. I also didn't realize that there are actually a lot of people that don't even care for albums, but just a few songs here and there.

To me, it can get messy, and I can get very selective and am definitely not even qualified to be even that much of a music buff either. I also don't think I could ever get over CD collecting.

Anyway, as an attempt to stay on the topic, I find myself listening to the Nine Inch Nails songs that click for me first, and then I gradually try to listen to the ones that I didn't like or "get" as much, and then take it from there. And as most likely expected, I've also sat through all of NIN's albums to date. Oh, and I also have a friend that also likes Nine Inch Nails a lot, but I noticed he goes to "All Songs" instead of the albums. I've really been spoiled by NIN record-wise, and even with iPods, I tend to separate all of the albums accordingly. I don't even combine both discs of The Fragile and Ghosts I-IV. It just didn't work for me, and it was a bit of an eyesore. (It most likely comes from my interest in collecting CDs, and being used to organizing albums and songs that way, even with an iPod and iTunes.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I want it to be 2014 already...and NIN back on a U.S. tour. I want a new NIN album already.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    To be fair, it's not that easy to take 75 full minutes of your free time to listen to an album from start to finish, while giving it all your attention. Listening to it while working, browsing or doing the dishes doesn't count, you're hearing it, but you're not really listening.
    It's way easier to give it 5 or 10 minutes here and there.
    This!! There is absolutely no point in listening from start to finish, if you are doing anything else besides it, except for creative work. But even when I write, for example, I just play those 1-3 songs on repeat which get me on the preferred mood/state I want to be.

What's the point of playing the whole TF in order, if I chat with someone, or play something during it. Sure, I could tell you "wow, I've listened TDS 20 times to start to finish!", but that would be bullshit.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    That's what my 150 track 'best of Reznor' mp3 cd's for
    just a minute, every full nin album combined have less than 150 tracks (10+8+14+23+14+16+36+10+14=145)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    It's just sinking in I'll never hear All Time Low like THAT with Josh, the girls and Pino ever again Or In to the Void (first and only time was during soundcheck in Las Vegas - what a treat!!!). Oh God

Well, hearing those two songs live was worth the airfare alone. I would have paid triple (if I had the cash).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Funny, because Year Zero took me the longest before I could finally appreciate it. 2007-2008 I hated it, from then on it's been one of my favorites. I think that's what makes a good album. I think an album deserves this kind of attention, considering the amount of work that went into it.

Saying that listening to a whole album is time consuming, what about 2 hour movies then? Just take a bath or lie down.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    Funny, because Year Zero took me the longest before I could finally appreciate it. 2007-2008 I hated it, from then on it's been one of my favorites. I think that's what makes a good album. I think an album deserves this kind of attention, considering the amount of work that went into it.

Saying that listening to a whole album is time consuming, what about 2 hour movies then? Just take a bath or lie down.
    I only watch series, I hate movies. Something has to be really good to justify spending so much time on it. If I had my own apartment though, I'm sure I'd listen to some NIN during my 1-1,5 bath sessions.

The hardest for me was definetly The Fragile. ILFJYF was the very last song from the NIN-catalog back then I listened to. Though it's two different things to appreciate and to digest something.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    just a minute, every full nin album combined have less than 150 tracks (10+8+14+23+14+16+36+10+14=145)
    Best of Reznor, not NIN.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I hate movies. Something has to be really good to justify spending so much time on it.
    Dude... I really hope your life is amazingly creative. That's the only reason I see to avoid the pleasure of art because "it takes time"...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Dude... I really hope your life is amazingly creative. That's the only reason I see to avoid the pleasure of art because "it takes time"...
    Well, to be fair to Volband, I hardly ever watch movies either. If I'm awake (and not eating) I'm on the internet, or reading, or mucking around in Photoshop. Setting aside two hours for a movie just never happens anymore.

I do most of my listening in the car because I can manage to absorb the music in between moments of sheer automotive terror. Any other activity takes my mind too far away from the music, so I have to drop everything and listen to something like The Fragile. (Planning to do that this weekend.)
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 12-06-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry to interrupt this conversation, but we need to take a moment to take in that, at one time, Trent was one of those guys.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...84291198_n.jpg

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misternegative View Post
    Sorry to interrupt this conversation, but we need to take a moment to take in that, at one time, Trent was one of those guys.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...84291198_n.jpg

Only other time I've seen that pic, it was presented under the context of a person's favorite Trent photoshop pics. You know the source?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    LMFAO!

In my defense, by the time I'd decided I liked both discs, Trent was talking about remastering it so I decided to wait. Still waiting.

LEFT.
    Actually I don't listen to any NIN anymore, not even sure while I'm still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Only other time I've seen that pic, it was presented under the context of a person's favorite Trent photoshop pics. You know the source?
    Unfortunately, no, I saw it in a NIN fan group on Facebook.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Weird occurence yesterday. Emailed a mate who's attending the upcoming O2 show with me, and told him about the stripped down line up for that leg of the tour. He was a little disappointed. He's a fairly casual fan compared to myself so doesn't know about the day to day goings on, just the big stuff like album releases etc. Imagine my surprise then when he said 'I'd watch Reznor if he was shitting on a strobelight' - completely unaware of the 'album' of the same name. That opened the floodgates obviously to a whole new element he'd never been aware of.

Just thought I'd share that, hope it doesn't give anyone bad dreams with that imagery..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^ What a lovely image I have in my head now. Why didn't Rob add that to the show?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Weird occurence yesterday. Emailed a mate who's attending the upcoming O2 show with me, and told him about the stripped down line up for that leg of the tour. He was a little disappointed. He's a fairly casual fan compared to myself so doesn't know about the day to day goings on, just the big stuff like album releases etc. Imagine my surprise then when he said 'I'd watch Reznor if he was shitting on a strobelight' - completely unaware of the 'album' of the same name. That opened the floodgates obviously to a whole new element he'd never been aware of.

Just thought I'd share that, hope it doesn't give anyone bad dreams with that imagery..
    http://nin.thisoneisonus.org/shit.ht...r_takes_a_shit

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Movies suck in general, so...

I don't deny though that many blockbusters are indeed enjoyable in cinemas, because no mater how stupid they are, lazers and explosions make everything better while stuffing yourself with overpriced popcorn.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I only watch series, I hate movies. Something has to be really good to justify spending so much time on it. If I had my own apartment though, I'm sure I'd listen to some NIN during my 1-1,5 bath sessions.

The hardest for me was definetly The Fragile. ILFJYF was the very last song from the NIN-catalog back then I listened to. Though it's two different things to appreciate and to digest something.
    I actually kind of get what you're saying. I don't want to just casually listen to some things, I want to really digest that, and it is really tough for me to find undisturbed blocks of time. I love listening to casual music, but trying to get digest "art" -- whether it be music, movies, or whatnot, takes a solid commitment.

That's why I very rarely watch TV. 99% of it is shit and it takes awhile for you to realize that.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I actually kind of get what you're saying. I don't want to just casually listen to some things, I want to really digest that, and it is really tough for me to find undisturbed blocks of time. I love listening to casual music, but trying to get digest "art" -- whether it be music, movies, or whatnot, takes a solid commitment.

That's why I very rarely watch TV. 99% of it is shit and it takes awhile for you to realize that.
    Exactly!

I just finished watching the last three episodes of Boardwalk Empire from season 3, since I finally got the time. Yes, it was more than 2 hours, which I could spent on watching some movie which would've been a.) complete shit b.) watchable, but ~2 hours are still not justified c.) get extremely lucky and fish out a movie that is actually good and keeps your attention. I could also listen to some NIN album in track order, but since I wasn't in the mood, that would've been a waste of time, There are times when I'm like "damn, I want to sit through The Fragile!", but then I'm usually unable to, because it comes to me at the weirdest times and/or places, and there are times when I could do it twice in a row but I just don't feel like doing it.

No, instead, I chose a series I KNOW I like, since I liked it up until this time, so why would this 3 episodes let me down? They didn't, they were awesome. And the coolest thing is that it immidietly sucks me in, or to use your words, I can digest it from the start, since it's like a train I've been riding for months, and been constantly looking forward to the final destination, which was - funnily enough - [SPOILER ALERT! kinda...] Into the void

And if you mentioned commitment... Some weeks ago I compiled a promo NIN-compilation to someone to get him like NIN (didn't really succeed, from about 31 songs he only liked 6, even though I tried to compile it for his taste), and I found myself being serious about it. I didn't just throw in X songs, but I actually wanted to make a story, I wanted the songs to fit, and the theme to shift smoothly. I spent hours on this because I really really enjoyed it, and I think I could spend days on making random nin compilations, and I would probably listen to them. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with what we've been discussing before, but whatever. Go and watch Boardwalk Empire, guys!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    There is no you, there is only me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yesterday, I found out the world was ending.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    You can say fuck on tv over here, right? Cool. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.