Page 105 of 392 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 205 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 11757

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

  1. #3121
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wrong end of the phone
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Tension needs, at the very least, a Blu-ray release.
    All in favor of IMAX 3D say "Aye."

  2. #3122
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,094
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    All I know is that it makes my eyeballs throb. In a good way?

    I won't mouth off about Broken (well, any more than I already have) until I've listened a few more times. But it's … not easy to listen to. I don't think that's in dispute.
    I dunno about "not easy to listen to." Fixed, however...

  3. #3123
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wrong end of the phone
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    SEE? I'm mouthing off again!

    I guess for me it's the vehemence, the rawness of the vocals, the way the high end scrapes your ears out with steel wool.

    It's like SICNH filtered through a buzz saw and a pissed off cat.

  4. #3124
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    I'm still amazed at how The Fragile actually wasn't the first Nine Inch Nails album to divide the fan-base. It's obviously not news to any fan that's been around to have seen it, or at least hear about though. I used to think that the entire fan-base just went along with Broken and The Downward Spiral without any complaints, insults, and discord. Perhaps that could also be why lots of older fans are really good at brushing it off, or not even being taken aback at the slightest when that happens as soon as any new releases have come out.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-02-2013 at 10:23 PM.

  5. #3125
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    All I know is that it makes my eyeballs throb. In a good way?

    I won't mouth off about Broken (well, any more than I already have) until I've listened a few more times. But it's … not easy to listen to. I don't think that's in dispute.
    I could actually see that in a way. As much as I love Broken, and promoting NIN's works from 1989-1999 to new/potential fans before anything else... I often wonder if Broken would actually repel them, should they listen to that EP first, especially if they don't really listen to stuff that heavy. And not to say that it's a bad EP, as I love it. Wish just got me instantly hooked with in the first 20 seconds on my very first listen.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-02-2013 at 10:40 PM.

  6. #3126
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    At Lunch
    Posts
    9,129
    Mentioned
    718 Post(s)

    Random NIN Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I could actually see that in a way. As much as I love Broken, and promoting NIN's works from 1989-1999 to new/potential fans before anything else... I often wonder if Broken would actually repel them, should they listen to that EP first, especially if they don't really listen to stuff that heavy. And not to say that it's a bad EP, as I love it. Wish just got me instantly hooked with in the first 20 seconds on my very first listen.
    Broken was my first Nine Inch Nails record, I bought it shortly after it was released, and I was instantly addicted to it, I must have listened to it 400 times in a row, at least. Through headphones. LOUDLY. I often wonder if the people who are put off by Broken own any other really loud abrasive metal or anything. Christ, there are other records I own and love that make Broken seem like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I guess for me it's the vehemence, the rawness of the vocals, the way the high end scrapes your ears out with steel wool.

    It's like SICNH filtered through a buzz saw and a pissed off cat.
    You say that like it's a BAD thing!
    Last edited by allegro; 12-07-2013 at 12:23 AM.

  7. #3127
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    527
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Random NIN Thoughts

    I think Broken was my third NIN purchase. After Downward Spiral clicked I went on a binge and bought everything I could find. I love Broken, it's always been one of my favorites and I'd love to see it revisited in some way. I don't get how it's hard to listen to at all. It's abrasive, but tame in comparison to a lot of music.

    If you're ever pissed off, Broken is the perfect record. A quick blast of pure rage.

    For some reason Physical really popped with me just a couple years ago. I don't know why it never did anything for me for the longest time, but now I love it. The vocals in the second verse are killer.

  8. #3128
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    as promised, just listened to Broken again. yup, still good. definitely adventurous in terms mixing and effects, and it seems like some stereo effects are meant for headphones . . not uncomfortable to listen to, though.

    although i listened to the album through cheap "ipod" earbuds, so i don't know if my experience is valid.

    seriously, don't assume that someone that doesn't like a NIN album doesn't have the proper listening equipment or has poor hearing . . . they might just have poor taste.

  9. #3129
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Wooow, it's amazing how you oldies try to convince me it's fine that Broken sounds shitty. It's argument-level is around "we shouldn't implement video-replay in soccer, cuz the lack of it has always caused unfair results, so it should keep on doing that". Bullshit.

    I get it, you grew up with it, etc., so then you won't listen to the remastered one, great for you. No one said it shouldn't be rough, or raw, but don't try to tell me it can't use some polish after MORE THAN 20 YEARS. Last is the only song from Broken I dare to show the album version of it to others, because it actually sounds fine (except within the album itself). I have to basically deny that Gave Up (album v.) even exists. "Hey dude, here's Gave Up, that sounds NOTHING like the live version, barely audible, sounds like it's poorly mixed, but ya know, that's the beauty of it!!!4!!!! It's shitty for a reason, therefor it's ART!!" ... Please...

    Exploring NIN is awesome, and I'm confident it's one of the most rewarding musical experience ever, with Broken, with original PHM, with Woodstock, with everything, BUT you have to think about not hardcore fans as well, or even about others like me, who only got to know NIN around (or after) WT-era. That Broken just doesn't do the same for me, and you can call it heresy, but that's how it is.

    I like everything that's NIN, so you can't accuse me of wanting everything to sound like WT/YZ.

  10. #3130
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    you have to think about not hardcore fans as well, or even about others like me
    No we do not.

    It's like asking the Broken movie to be cleaned up, and remastered in HD. Yeah it's dirty, it's low-fi, it's perfect. You're the one who lost his earplugs in his auditory canals, I can ear every track just fine. Sure, if you're trying to make a mixtape, you might want to put Last there, or surround any other Broken tracks with quiet ones, because even PHM is louder now. But it doesn't sound shitty...

    Also, fuck your strawman rethoric.

  11. #3131
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Then why did PHM got a remaster? I mean, why did Trent had to ruin a perfectly 25 years old material? Even new people to NIN can listen to it now! This is so not underground...

    Now that I think about it, I hope Broken never gets a remaster, you are right, it has that certain vibe to it! I also hope The Fragile will never get a deluxe edition, especially not with unreleased tracks, etc.: He left those tracks out (or included only on casette/vinyl), so keep it that way!

    On another note, I hope Trent will only play the entire TDS live in the upcoming 2014 tour, because that's real NIN. Billpulisher (or whatever that guy's name is) should be proud of where this thread is going.

    Long live the 80's/early 90's!

  12. #3132
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,826
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Then why did PHM got a remaster? I mean, why did Trent had to ruin a perfectly 25 years old material? Even new people to NIN can listen to it now! This is so not underground...

    Now that I think about it, I hope Broken never gets a remaster, you are right, it has that certain vibe to it! I also hope The Fragile will never get a deluxe edition, especially not with unreleased tracks, etc.: He left those tracks out (or included only on casette/vinyl), so keep it that way!

    On another note, I hope Trent will only play the entire TDS live in the upcoming 2014 tour, because that's real NIN. Billpulisher (or whatever that guy's name is) should be proud of where this thread is going.

    Long live the 80's/early 90's!
    A remaster is not the same as a reissue. Reissuing and putting out deluxe versions brings in new fans just as much. Imo, PHM didn't need a remaster anyway. Redoing an album just because it sounds like an album of its period is utterly pointless, why make everything sound 2013 when you can hear over a century's worth of variation across recorded music, there's no reason to remaster most albums that recieve one - redoing albums for vinyl that came out during oil shortages, sure, or early CDs when the process wasn't perfect yet, but in general it's either a money grab or a way for an artist to "update" an album that really shouldn't be updated.

    That's not to say that some remasters are good, often there'll be elements that were buried under overzealous producer's hands, and converting to stereo/surround is always a fantastic thing. But the eventual path is akin to using photoshop to modify works of art, to make them more perfect. Imperfections are what make the music more alive.

  13. #3133
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    527
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Random NIN Thoughts

    I just listened to Broken again and I'm not having any of the issues described above. Maybe it's a little quieter than the shittily mastered albums today, but that's why we have volume controls. I don't find myself having to constantly adjust it, either.

  14. #3134
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wrong end of the phone
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You say that like it's a BAD thing!
    Of course not. I like buzz saws and pissed off cats though I keep a safe distance from both.

  15. #3135
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wrong end of the phone
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I get it, you grew up with it, etc., so then you won't listen to the remastered one, great for you. No one said it shouldn't be rough, or raw, but don't try to tell me it can't use some polish after MORE THAN 20 YEARS.
    Hey, I never even heard it before 2008!

    I gave it another listen last night because of this thread, and I can't hear the problems you're talking about.

  16. #3136
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I get it, you grew up with it, etc., so then you won't listen to the remastered one, great for you. No one said it shouldn't be rough, or raw, but don't try to tell me it can't use some polish after MORE THAN 20 YEARS. Last is the only song from Broken I dare to show the album version of it to others, because it actually sounds fine (except within the album itself). I have to basically deny that Gave Up (album v.) even exists. "Hey dude, here's Gave Up, that sounds NOTHING like the live version, barely audible, sounds like it's poorly mixed, but ya know, that's the beauty of it!!!4!!!! It's shitty for a reason, therefor it's ART!!" ... Please...
    i think it's totally fine that you don't like Broken and don't think that anyone should say that you're wrong for not liking it. but, from what you're saying, it sounds like you're either not really understanding remastering or not really understanding the album. being that you are claiming that you never listened to the album all the way through other than possibly when you watched the broken movie, don't you think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that you don't understand the album?

    EDIT: awesome. this thread turned into a Broken listening party. thanks, Volband!

  17. #3137
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wrong end of the phone
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Now that I think of it, it took me a lot longer to get into The Fragile than Broken. Broken was my second-ever NIN purchase, but I still don't own a copy of TF (I just stream it).

  18. #3138
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I still don't own a copy of TF (I just stream it).

  19. #3139
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    At Lunch
    Posts
    9,129
    Mentioned
    718 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Now that I think of it, it took me a lot longer to get into The Fragile than Broken.
    Same here. I rarely listen to TF and, when I do, I only listen to the Right CD.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-03-2013 at 01:42 PM.

  20. #3140
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    I actually like it when Broken gets discussed more and more as it sometimes seems to be overlooked depending on which NIN fans you speak to in real life. And aside from CDs in general being tougher than ever to find these days, I sometimes don't see Broken in stock, and seem to see the remastered version of Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and With Teeth the most. Even And All That Could Have Been (Live) seemed easier to find at some point.

    Oh, and speaking of which, the remasters of both The Downward Spiral and With Teeth have become a whole lot harder to find, or just impossible to find as well. (I'm talking about looking for brand new CDs at stores in real life. Thank goodness for the likes of Amazon.com though.)

  21. #3141
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,788
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Oh, and speaking of which, the remasters of both The Downward Spiral and With Teeth have become a whole lot harder to find, or just impossible to find as well. (I'm talking about looking for brand new CDs at stores in real life. Thank goodness for the likes of Amazon.com though.)
    What? When was With Teeth remastered? It isn't even ten years old yet

  22. #3142
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Wouldn't the DualDisc sort of count in a way? Perhaps I should've worded that differently.

  23. #3143
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    527
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Random NIN Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Wouldn't the DualDisc sort of count in a way? Perhaps I should've worded that differently.
    I wouldn't call that a remaster. The 5.1 mix is it's own thing.

  24. #3144
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Oh, sorry, my mistake.

  25. #3145
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,908
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Now that I think of it, it took me a lot longer to get into The Fragile than Broken. Broken was my second-ever NIN purchase, but I still don't own a copy of TF (I just stream it).
    Holy damnit christmas what is your address I'll mail you a fucking copy how can you not own that beauty I khfbefewkefhb foaming at the mouth.
    Disclaimer: I don't have the money to buy and mail you, or anybody, a copy. But really. Go buy that beauty.

  26. #3146
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    @Joy Prevention Hotline - I'd certainly second that, and you'd be in luck, considering how it's actually $16.50 at Amazon.com right now. And even with shipping and handling, it's still a bit of steal when compared to how much it used to cost as a brand new copy in Amazon.com and just about anywhere else. To think that Best Buy used to, and still charges $24.99 for The Fragile. (And plus tax, you'd know that you'd have to have a $20.00 bill and a $10.00 bill with you at the time, as I've bought The Fragile as a present a few times in the past.)

    http://www.amazon.com/Fragile-Nine-I...ine+Inch+Nails

    But of course, you don't have to... but I'll still say that's around the sweetest price to pay for a brand new copy of The Fragile. (I'm sorry, I just really wanted to use that pun as soon as it came to me.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-03-2013 at 04:56 PM.

  27. #3147
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    743
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Am I the only one disappointed by the YouTube/Vevo route for the LA show? Wanted a full 28 track, 5.1 experience preferably on BluRay...still lap it up obviously!

  28. #3148
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    i think it's totally fine that you don't like Broken and don't think that anyone should say that you're wrong for not liking it. but, from what you're saying, it sounds like you're either not really understanding remastering or not really understanding the album. being that you are claiming that you never listened to the album all the way through other than possibly when you watched the broken movie, don't you think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that you don't understand the album?

    EDIT: awesome. this thread turned into a Broken listening party. thanks, Volband!
    I guess what I meant was re-issue, but didn't want to use that word because I've heard manmy reissues that sound exactly the same as the older material... then again, I might talk about re-release now, so I'm lost.

    At the heart of it all, all I meant was a Broken which is louder. I don't mind if Last still makes my ears bleed, or Gave Up is more quiet than HIS.

    I very very very rarely listen to any album (whether NIN or not) from start to finish anyway, and I guess you are right, I might never understood what Broken is. I like the songs individually, and the one I don't like (I don't consider Physical an actual Broken song) I don't even listen to - I guess my homework for the weekend is to settle this issue once and for all with Help Me I'm In Hell -, but I never really felt an actual story behind it. The emphasis is on felt.

  29. #3149
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wrong end of the phone
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    LMFAO!

    In my defense, by the time I'd decided I liked both discs, Trent was talking about remastering it so I decided to wait. Still waiting.

    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Same here. I rarely listen to TF and, when I do, I only listen to the Right CD.
    LEFT.

  30. #3150
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wrong end of the phone
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I guess my homework for the weekend is to settle this issue once and for all with Help Me I'm In Hell -, but I never really felt an actual story behind it. The emphasis is on felt.
    I don't know about a story, but to me it foreshadows TDS.

    It's the sound of doom.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions