Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Love and Mercy

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Love and Mercy

At this point, Paul Dano has accomplished a lot in his still-young career. He's logged time with auteurs likePaul Thomas Anderson and Ang Lee, starred in strong indie comedies like "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Ruby Sparks," gone the blockbuster route with "Cowboys & Aliens" and "Knight And Day," and last year, he dipped his toe into heady sci-fi with Rian Johnson's "Looper." From to drama to romance to comedy, he's done it all (except maybe horror), but now he's tasked with the tremendous responsibility of playing one of music history's most beloved and influential writers and performers.One of those projects that has been brewing for years, and one we never held our breath believing that it would happen, Dano is set to lead "Love & Mercy," the Oren Moverman ("The Messenger," "Rampart") penned film about Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson. Pretty sweet. And the scope is ambitious. The film will span decades, with Dano playing the younger version of Wilson, with a yet to be cast actor as the older version, in a story that will detail the rise of the Beach Boys, the musician's fracturing mental health which led to his dismissal from the band, and the love that sustained him through it all. And most importantly, the movie has obtained the life rights from Wilson himself, so it's able to push forward.
    When we spoke to Moverman in Febraury of last year, he shared that the movie would have "an unconventional storytelling approach" that he hoped would help audiences get into Wilson's head: "to understand how do you get into that kind of genius mind that has all this music, but also all this tragedy, so much pain, so many scars." Sounds pretty great.
    And if that weren't enough, "The Social Network" tunesmith Atticus Ross will "compose the film's soundscapes." We're not quite sure what that means, but given that the Beach Boys records are headphone affairs, we're really curious to see how sound will be used in the context of telling Wilson's tumultuous story. And yes, the movie will have Beach Boys tunes as well.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...mercy-20130117

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This site says that Trent is in talks to score the film

Hey, that
    Brian Wilson biopic has finally got a lead! A press release (via ComingSoon) reveals that the River Road film about Beach Boy Wilson (not baseball player Wilson, duh) that was first announced back in 2011, Love & Mercy, has picked up Paul Dano to lead its cast as the once-troubled singer and songwriter. The Bill Pohlad-directed and Oren Moverman-penned film will reportedly “take an unconventional look at Wilson’s unique musical process as well as his struggles with mental illness, and how he managed to persevere as an artist with the love and support of his wife, Melinda.” Even better? Trent Reznor is reportedly in talks to score the film. Dano might be an offbeat pick for the role, but hey, he’s got the hair down pat. We have a good feeling about this one.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Yeah, the official press release says Atticus Ross. I think someone got a crossed wire with that

LOS ANGELES, CA, JANUARY 17, 2013 – Bill Pohlad, Academy Award® nominated producer, is set to direct Love & Mercy with Paul Dano (Looper, Ruby Sparks, There Will Be Blood) starring as legendary musician Brian Wilson in his early years. Pohlad is also casting an actor to play Brian Wilson later in his life.
    Academy Award® winning composer Atticus Ross (The Social Network) is in talks to work on the sound design of the film and the soundtrack, which will include the music of Brian Wilson.
    “I am thrilled that Paul Dano has signed on to play me during one of my most creative explosions and most fulfilling musical times in my career,” said Brian Wilson. “I still can’t believe how cool it is that my life will be portrayed on the big screen and to have Bill Pohlad as the captain of the Sloop John B is amazing! It just makes me feel so humble. I can’t wait to see it with a full tub of buttered popcorn.”
    John Wells and Claire Rudnick Polstein (John Wells Productions) will produce along with River Road founder Bill Pohlad. Oren Moverman, who co-wrote and directed The Messenger, which earned him an Academy Award® Nomination for Best Original Screenplay, wrote the script for Love & Mercy.
    River Road Entertainment and John Wells Productions are aggressively developing Love & Mercy, which centers on the mercurial singer, songwriter and leader of The Beach Boys. Rather than a bio pic, the film will take an unconventional look at seminal moments in Wilson’s life, his artistic genius, his profound struggles, and the love that kept him alive.
    The film marks a return to directing for Pohlad, who prior to forming River Road Entertainment, wrote, directed and co-produced his first feature film, Old Explorers, starring veteran actors Jose Ferrer and James Whitmore. Pohlad began his career directing and producing numerous commercial and documentary film projects. His early documentary film credits included profiles of the rock star Prince, the late Hall of Fame baseball player Kirby Puckett, and Irish theater director Joe Dowling.
    Paul Dano is represented by Anonymous Content and WME. He is currently filming Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal and will next be seen in Steve McQueen’s Twelve Years a Slave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thats a shame. I would have liked to hear Trent's take on that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Having a bit of a hard time seeing how Paul could pull off looking like Brian but I have no doubt he'll do the role justice.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...son-beach-boys

The soundtrack is actually getting a release, with implication that includes Atticus' stuff - honestly I wasn't expecting that at all, so fuck yeah

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Has anyone posted this anywhere? A really interesting interview with Atticus about film scoring

http://thecredits.org/2015/05/iconic...Atticus%20Ross

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/201...an_wilso.html#

Atticus interview about the score (and not about Fincher for fucking once)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    WRT soundtrack release:

We’re working on it now. Unfortunately, these things get complicated when you’ve got a lot of bits from different songs and different eras, but we’re working through it, and it should be out soon after the film.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...r-bill-pohlad/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    My husband is really into 50s Americana for some reason, he likes the Beach Boys, one of the songs really grates, that one that goes 'wah wah wah wah'. I can't stand the false chirpiness of it, but then I read music nerds going on about the genius of Pet Sounds and wonder if I'm missing something!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

"they used this a lot on pet sounds"

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Another interview, I love this time of year when I actually have content for my blog :P

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    As a selfish fan site webmaster, I would love to someday have and be able to share the 3rd 12 Rounds album, but I have to say that hearing the brilliant work that Atticus, Claude, Leo, Kirk and the many others who built the sound collages for Love and Mercy makes the wait for those long gestating album tracks much more tolerable.

12rounds.net. is going to be updated with my probably heavily biased reviews of Love and Mercy, Broken City, Crocodile Gennadiy and possibly Days of Grace if I can fit it in to Atticus Ross in a Theater Near You week later this week.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    As a selfish fan site webmaster, I would love to someday have and be able to share the 3rd 12 Rounds album, but I have to say that hearing the brilliant work that Atticus, Claude, Leo, Kirk and the many others who built the sound collages for Love and Mercy makes the wait for those long gestating album tracks much more tolerable.

12rounds.net. is going to be updated with my probably heavily biased reviews of Love and Mercy, Broken City, Crocodile Gennadiy and possibly Days of Grace if I can fit it in to Atticus Ross in a Theater Near You week later this week.
    [offtopic] Days of Grace snuck onto region A bluray recently if you don't have it - with the most ugly cover art they couldda opted for http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4KQ25UWKD4TPEV

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Not going to post this on my blog as I don't have evidence for it, but the purported score tracklist is:

"Black Hole" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

Don't Worry Baby
    California Girls
    Good To My Baby
    Help Me, Rhonda
    Wendy
    Dance, Dance, Dance
    Denny's Drums
    Fun, Fun, Fun

"End Date" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)

"Believe" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

You Still Believe In Me
    Pet Sounds

"Silhouette" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

God Only Knows
    Let's Go Away For Awhile
    Sloop John B

"Headphones" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

I Live For the Sun — The Sunrays
    I Know THere's An Answer
    Sloop John B
    Pet Sounds
    Dance, Dance, Dance
    Help Me, Rhonda
    Here Today

"Knives and Forks" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

God Only Knows

"Deep End" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

Heroes and Villains
    Barnyard
    I Love to Say Da Da
    Wind Chimes
    Don't Worry Baby
    Our Prayer

"B&M Studio" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

"Baby No Morph" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

I Love to Say Da Da
    Here Today

"Bed Montage" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

Don't Worry Baby
    California Girls

"Into Mercy" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

God Only Knows

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The collage soundtrack list that Sheepdean posted is accurate for the portions Atticus produced.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Trent dug it.

Finally saw Love & Mercy and really enjoyed it. Incredibly tasteful work from Atticus on the score.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I loved this movie... and I'm not even a crazy Beach Boys fan or anything. Anyone else on ETS check it out?

It hit me like a ton of bricks: it was so sad & beautiful all throughout. The whole cast was great, but surprisingly, Cusack really stole the show for me. Career best performance from him if you ask me – he was so authentically fragile.

The score and sound design was of course terrific. Despite the heavy sampling, Atticus's voice as a composer still managed to shine through quite well. The dinner table scene (post-Good Vibrations) was a masterclass in movie sound, easily on par with the blowjob scene in Dragon Tattoo.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I saw it a few days ago. I really enjoyed it as well, and I thought Atticus' score was excellent. Really hoping it gets a release soon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Was this ever posted? Elvis Mitchell is a great interviewer.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Was this ever posted? Elvis Mitchell is a great interviewer.

Yeah over at http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...s-at-LAFF-2014

And at fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com , if you're interested in more Atticus stuff

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Oh badass. i'm gonna look for this movie today. is it on netflix or any service like that yet?

I love biopics, and the beach boys had such an off the wall sound. it was so fucking THICK you know? I am interested to learn about the mind of the man who created "good vibrations."
    @WorzelG , listen to that track, loud, on a good stereo and maybe you will see what music nerds mean.
    It almost has "movements" like a symphony. And it's gotta have at LEAST 70 separate tracks mixed together-maybe more like 100.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Oh badass. i'm gonna look for this movie today. is it on netflix or any service like that yet?

I love biopics, and the beach boys had such an off the wall sound. it was so fucking THICK you know? I am interested to learn about the mind of the man who created "good vibrations."
    @WorzelG , listen to that track, loud, on a good stereo and maybe you will see what music nerds mean.
    It almost has "movements" like a symphony. And it's gotta have at LEAST 70 separate tracks mixed together-maybe more like 100.
    It JUST came out in the cinemas, so see if it's playing anywhere near you

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It JUST came out in the cinemas, so see if it's playing anywhere near you
    ahhhh. well i have to go to the dr in a town with a cinema tomorrow, so perhaps i can catch it then.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Finally managed to see the film (it's only playing in 3 cinemas in London), great film and fuck that's a good score. I need the soundtrack just for the Knives and Forks piece

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Possible score release date: Sep 18th http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.co...have-a-release

Worried it might just be a collection of songs used in the film as it's "various artists" though

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Possible score release date: Sep 18th http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.co...have-a-release

Worried it might just be a collection of songs used in the film as it's "various artists" though
    Per Universal Music - Japan:

1. The Black Hole – Atticus Ross and Leopold Ross
    2. Don’t Worry Baby – The Beach Boys
    3. Silhouette – Atticus Ross and Leopold Ross
    4. God Only Knows – Paul Dano
    5. God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
    6. Believe – Atticus Ross, Leopold Ross and Nick Chuba
    7. Good Vibrations – The Beach Boys
    8. Losing It – Atticus Ross
    9. I’m Right Here – Atticus Ross and Leopold Ross
    10. The Bed Montage – Atticus Ross, Leopold Ross, The Beach Boys, The Four Freshmen
    11. Intersection – Atticus Ross
    12. Love and Mercy (Live) – Brian Wilson
    13. One Kind of Love – Brian Wilson
    Last edited by Jon; 08-07-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: digital release date of 8/14 (?)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Per Universal Music - Japan:

1. The Black Hole – Atticus Ross and Leopold Ross
    2. Don’t Worry Baby – The Beach Boys
    3. Silhouette – Atticus Ross and Leopold Ross
    4. God Only Knows – Paul Dano
    5. God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
    6. Believe – Atticus Ross, Leopold Ross and Nick Chuba
    7. Good Vibrations – The Beach Boys
    8. Losing It – Atticus Ross
    9. I’m Right Here – Atticus Ross and Leopold Ross
    10. The Bed Montage – Atticus Ross, Leopold Ross, The Beach Boys, The Four Freshmen
    11. Intersection – Atticus Ross
    12. Love and Mercy (Live) – Brian Wilson
    13. One Kind of Love – Brian Wilson
    I fucking love you, now I can preorder without worrying!

Looks like no vinyl though. Guess that's another score I'll have to slum on CD

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Kinda wanna use this from the japanese site, can someone who reads kanji confirm that actually says something legible lol