Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    so since i last posted in this thread i've been on a gear buying frenzy, obviously not necessarily following @Leviathant 's original mantra of i do not need this.
    That mantra failed me the other week... I bought a Marshall JCM800 with a 4x10 cabinet. But it was only $300. I think it was a fair exclusion.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    same here, i now have a yamaha spx90 unit. no rack to put it in (and no intention to start collecting them) but there you have it.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    also just traded the kr55 for an r8 mkII, which is pretty much my dream drum machine. i love the sound of the kr55, but felt it's too overused by bands i listen to & love to really be more than a nostaliga piece or one trick pony. the mkII is exactly what i like- fully customizable, big, heavy drums, etc. really excited about this one.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Oh, hell. A few days ago while I wasn't looking, Quicksilver released a new CPU for the 606. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get this. The live performance options, individual instrument accents and the availability of MIDI (and USB) are just too good to pass up, particularly with the free installation.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Oh hell. This is a bad year to say "I'm not buying any more equipment." Check this shit out. I love Korg so much. Apparently the new Volca line is being announced at Musikmesse.

If that's not retro-enough for you, there's the new (re-issued) Micropreset:

Wowowowow.

You know you've got something good going on when every time images of your new products leak, the initial reaction is "Fake, too good to be true."

Edit: Jesus. They're only $150 each.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Yea. I think I'll snag those.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'll probably end up snagging one of them, either the bass or the lead. Maybe both...

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I don't really need the drum machine, but I have been mulling over a bass synth for a while - but I couldn't really justify something like a Subphatty or a Minibrute, and was really pushing it convincing myself that I need an MS-20 (which I do, for processing and for wacky synth noises). However, a three-oscillator bass synth with sequencer for $150? I mean, I'm at the age where I've made more expensive mistakes than that. And there's really nothing in that price range that compares to that out there - software not withstanding. A year after these things are out they'll be $100 on eBay, and ten years later they'll probably be $200.

I think that rather than take the plunge on the volca beats, I'll put that money towards the Quicksilver 606 mod. And in 2014, pick up a used Volca beats on the super-cheaps.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'll sample my Yamaha RX-15 and process the ever loving shit out of it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'd like to play with the bass synth. I have a Future Retro Revolution, and I love it, but this thing looks like a fun addition, and it's hard to say no to the price...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    RIGHT? A buck fifty each for a ballsy set of synths is hard to ignore, especially when you could be paying $3K for a Minimoog Voyager...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    RIGHT? A buck fifty each for a ballsy set of synths is hard to ignore, especially when you could be paying $3K for a Minimoog Voyager...
    I still do love my Minimoog Voyager...

But yeah, 150 bucks? I'm (probably) sold. Let's not go crazy here and imply that the thing is a proper replacement for a Voyager... I say this not only in the interests of justifying my nearly $3000 purchase...

What I'm looking for is something can grind and squeak on the low end in the vein of a 303. I'll need some hands-on first, cheapness aside.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-11-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I sold one of my Korg ER-1s for $125 on Friday, and that cash is sitting on my desk until the Volca Bass comes out.

I had two ER-1s because there was a Craigslist deal a year or two ago that was too good to pass up.

I'm seriously considering selling my Boss DR-110 for a Volca Beats. It's kind of a shame because I bought a bunch of pots and a MIDI->Trigger kit as a project to make a modded out MIDI analog drum machine. I paid something like $100 for the DR-110, another $40 for the MIDI->Trigger board, and I forget how much for the LEDs and knobs. I may still keep it because the 110 hihats and ride cymbal are pretty swish, but fuck man, Korg is sure making me feel silly about that whole project.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I sold one of my Korg ER-1s for $125 on Friday, and that cash is sitting on my desk until the Volca Bass comes out.

I had two ER-1s because there was a Craigslist deal a year or two ago that was too good to pass up.

I'm seriously considering selling my Boss DR-110 for a Volca Beats. It's kind of a shame because I bought a bunch of pots and a MIDI->Trigger kit as a project to make a modded out MIDI analog drum machine. I paid something like $100 for the DR-110, another $40 for the MIDI->Trigger board, and I forget how much for the LEDs and knobs. I may still keep it because the 110 hihats and ride cymbal are pretty swish, but fuck man, Korg is sure making me feel silly about that whole project.
    Best pre-order deal that I have seen is here...
    http://www.jrrshop.com/korg-volca-bundle-pre-order

JRRSHOP is a great place. Get all 3 in the bundle deal, normal $449, but when you add to cart the price goes down to $359.20
    Your welcome!

As much as I want these badboys, my eye is on the Korg MS-20 re-release... drooling over that mofo
    This is a good year for analog heads with the Volca Series, MS-20, Moog Sub Phatty, King Korg, Minibrute, and the Novation Bass Station II
    So much good shit to get... but the MS-20 is the first thing I'm after

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I'm lookin at the ms 20 vs a minibrute. The only thing pushing me to the minibrute is that I want an arpeggiator. Hmmm

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    and our DSI Tempest showed up today. Only a couple hours into learning the layout and basic programming, but I can already see how this is going to forever change the way I make music.

EDIT: Holy shit... I'm in love with this thing.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-23-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Just ordered a Minibrute! Stoked.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I just ordered this. I am SO fricking stoked. maybe a little more than the minibrute.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    /\/\\\ Looks like fun... how much does it cost?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

@Jinsai 100 bucks

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    From NIN spotting, thanks @Zipfinator, visible is (at least) a Moog Sub Phatty

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I don't use Instagram, so I'm always a few days behind when following folks on it. Today I revisited Cortini's Instagram, and saw he got the Quicksilver 606 mod, and that reminded me that I told the Quicksilver dudes I'd totally get a QS 606 if they made one. And even though the Korg Volca Beats would kinda fill that niche, the Volca Beats is no 606. I have been real good about not spending money for a while, so I pulled the trigger and just paypalled the money to Social Entropy, and I'll be sending my Drumatix in for brain surgery soon.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    thinking of picking up a JP8080

anyone have one?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Just snagged an ms 2000r on eBay for 250 bucks. Great success.

The rack version.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Emailed someone on craigslist about a Korg DW6000 for $140! Sold my Poly800 to a coworker, need a replacement, this seems like a good move.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Okay. I am on a synth buying frenzy... Somebody make me stop.

About to pick up a Slim Phatty.

should I do it?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Okay. I am on a synth buying frenzy... Somebody make me stop.

About to pick up a Slim Phatty.

should I do it?
    How many finished tracks have you recorded in the last six months?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I am in the middle of recording an album as well as working on 4 different remixes for a few artists. and 1 producing project. I have a bunch of personal tracks in the pot.

I just finished building my studio at the new house and its the first time I have room to do what I really want. So Ive been going a little nuts. But I think I'm slowing down now.

AKA. I've never been a person who just gets things to have them. Everything I've been picking up is being used.

But i know where you're going with this. this can be a slippery slope. @Leviathant
    Last edited by DVYDRNS; 09-07-2013 at 08:51 PM.