Page 122 of 263 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 172 222 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 7882

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’m doubtful we’d be getting a new Tool album if not for this way of working.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    yeah, i definitely appreciate what you guys are saying.

but everyone being there together, i think, can enhance the music. it can create an organic collective consciousness situation that can't really be achieved in any other way. that's definitely been my personal experience making music.

they damn sure don't have to all be together for ALL of it; don't get me wrong.

But even in that David Byrne interview where he was singing the praises of remote collaboration, he said that he and St Vincent got together for the actual recording.

Let me ask you this: would you guys actually PREFER that maynard never sees the band during the genesis and recording of these new songs? is that what you're saying? if so, i'm certainly not saying that "i'm right and you're wrong." i'm genuinely interested as to why.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-06-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If the singer has no actual input in the song writing, this method makes complete sense. If he’s not bringing ideas, melodies, etc, it’d probably be pretty pointless to sit around in the studio and watch people track guitars all day.

Also, it’s kind of a young mans game in a way. Getting into the studio together, grinding out an album in a short time. That just doesn’t make sense for tool. It’s not a quick process (obviously).

If Maynard was bringing something to the table, yeah ideally that would be done WITH the guys rather than long distance. But according to Maynard, that’s just not how they operate. He leaves the music totally to them and they leave the vocals totally to him. So I don’t see it as all that important to be in the same room.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denuir View Post
    I’m doubtful we’d be getting a new Tool album if not for this way of working.
    Absolutely, no question about that. But I think we would have a better final product if they hashed it out like they used to and were way more collaborative. Lately it feels very, "tool, featuring mjk" to me.

Or maybe not, now that I think of it. Might end up with too many dick jokes and a horrible album cover.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 05-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    Absolutely, no question about that. But I think we would have a better final product if they hashed it out like they used to and were way more collaborative. Lately it feels very, "tool, featuring mjk" to me.

Or maybe not, now that I think of it. Might end up with too many dick jokes and a horrible album cover.
    now that you mention it...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Addressing multiple posts in one reply:

I couldn't care less how they do it. They're the artists, and they'll do what works best for them. That's their decision. As the audience, it's up to us to decide whether we like the finished product or not - not to dictate how the artist makes it. We aren't commissioning them to write something for us, even though it is our past patronage that has given them the financial means to continue spending non-insiginficant sums on making music. And I'm willing to bet that a lot of people - not everyone, mind you, but a good number - would rather see a new album come out as soon as possible with no regard to how it's recorded vs waiting a few more years for everyone to sit down and record it together in LA or wherever.

Comparing remote recording to instruments tainting the "purity" of a live performance is ridiculous. You're comparing the physical location of people and the spontenaity and chemistry that exists between them, not whether they're holding a damn guitar or not. There are pros and cons to remote work - a pro being that it does force people to be extremely deliberate and thoughtful with their choices, but a con being that sometimes great things happen on acccident when a full band is in one room. I don't think one is inherently worse than the other. They're just different.

And finally: I don't think for a second that there will be a new Tool album released in 2018, and as much as I like the band, I'm fine with that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maynard dismissed the idea of it being a band thing on why they don't have digital formats a little while back. It's on the Puscifer Twitter. More of a label issue.

I don't really but cds anymore. But, Tool would probably be the only time I would tbh. The packaging is usually special and worth getting. 10,000 Days wasn't like any other release. Have yet to see anything like Aenima either.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The 10,000 Days and Aenima packaging, while cool, seem pretty dated to me. I think the Lateralus one holds up well in its minimalism, not a bunch of shiny moving bits and holograms and stuff.

Hard pass on Alex Grey for this album though.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    to me the 10,000 Days CD looks and feels like a clunky piece of shit
    it doesn't fit anywhere with the other CDs, I haven't looked inside the glasses for like 10 years
    it feels cheap and tacky and not made right, like it's the wrong shape or it came out wrong
    I like the painting, but having been to COSM, I'd already seen it before, so when I saw that was to be the artwork I was disappointed

after the genius and simplicity of all previous Tool album packagings to me the 10,000 Days one is a dud

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Have any big name artists released an album on a USB drive in hi-def format? That would be way cooler than CD or vinyl. Don't cut it into tracks and just have one huge FLAC file if you don't want people skipping around.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Have any big name artists released an album on a USB drive in hi-def format? That would be way cooler than CD or vinyl. Don't cut it into tracks and just have one huge FLAC file if you don't want people skipping around.
    Please no on the one large file thing. I love live music; I cannot stand being forced to make custom .cue files.

The Beatles, Queen, and Bob Dylan have all had music released on USB drives. There's probably plenty of other examples, but those are cornerstone examples.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Please no on the one large file thing. I love live music; I cannot stand being forced to make custom .cue files.

The Beatles, Queen, and Bob Dylan have all had music released on USB drives. There's probably plenty of other examples, but those are cornerstone examples.
    Eh, I'd make up tracks first thing as well. I just meant that it seems like an easy concession if artists aren't a big fan of folks listening to their album piecemeal (which I totally understand.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    is anyone attending the clinic in minn tonight? im debating the chicago date but $500 for a really unknown event has me skeptical. id love some details before i decide to drop that kinda dough.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    CoS article about the first clinic.

Reddit thread from an attendee.

Tool confirmed that every song on the album is over 10 minutes in length. The drum portion of the album is fully tracked. Chancellor plans to track the bass parts following Tool’s upcoming festival appearances, to be followed by Jones. Maynard James Keenan’s vocals will be tracked last. They also played fans a new segue featuring Carey “on a modular synth going along with some politically charged vocal sample in the beginning.” The segue, which was in the vein of Tool’s “Merkaba”, will appear on the album, according to Jones.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 05-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm probably in the minority but every song being 10 minutes or more is not appealing to me at all. My biggest complaint with 10,000 Days is that a lot of the material feels like it could benefit heavily from being trimmed down. The synth stuff is interesting though, I've been worried it would be more of the same sound as before and that might broaden the scope a bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'm probably in the minority but every song being 10 minutes or more is not appealing to me at all. My biggest complaint with 10,000 Days is that a lot of the material feels like it could benefit heavily from being trimmed down. The synth stuff is interesting though, I've been worried it would be more of the same sound as before and that might broaden the scope a bit.
    I like tool a lot. However, I find their longer songs, including songs split between tracks (e.g. Parabol and Parabola) to be a little boring. Only my opinion. Even the not-so-long songs I really enjoy like Jambi or Lateralus could benefit from some trimming. Some band can really do the long song thing well (Opeth, Dream Theater, Rush) and some are just better off keeping it short (Tool, Iron Maiden).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'm thinking it's likely that a few will be split into two more digestible halves, much like Parabol/Parabola, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stone, etc...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I dunno, having long songs is dandy as long as they're good. They're a proggy band, it's about time they went full-on Crimson.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Bring it on. I don't see them bringing any more records out after this one with how long it's taken, so I welcome an overblown magnum opus if they've got it in them.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I was at Northern Invasion last night. Front row and center. Maynard wore riot gear and said he'd take it off when Danny Justin and Adam finally finish their portions of the tracks so he could keep working.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    I was at Northern Invasion last night. Front row and center. Maynard wore riot gear and said he'd take it off when Danny Justin and Adam finally finish their portions of the tracks so he could keep working.
    I was there too! Though not front & center, about half way between the stage and the mixing board on the right side. Awesome show! I had to miss them last year when they came to St. Paul, so seeing that it was almost the same setlist (with the notable exception of Third Eye, which is always a favorite of mine), made me feel a little better about missing the show last summer. I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play Sweat!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I was there too! Though not front & center, about half way between the stage and the mixing board on the right side. Awesome show! I had to miss them last year when they came to St. Paul, so seeing that it was almost the same setlist (with the notable exception of Third Eye, which is always a favorite of mine), made me feel a little better about missing the show last summer. I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play Sweat!
    Them playing their older material again over the last tour fits with my theory that the re-recorded extended version of Opiate isn’t the only track they intended to re-record and release. Or that they might have actually tracked.

Prove me wrong, boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    One can get “cheap” tickets to these clinics on StubHub looks like. Just gotta wait the day of, Chicago is at $250 right now plus whatever percentage they tack on. Crowds for these are probably smaller than they expected.

Im also not looking forward to to an album full of 10+ minute songs. Third Eye is fucking great, but like others said many of their songs can be trimmed. My favorite version of Parabola live was when there was no Parabol intro. Didn’t kill the vibe of the crowd.

And FFS I really hope we didn’t wait all this time for a “politically charged” album. They’re better than that (I hope).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    One can get “cheap” tickets to these clinics on StubHub looks like. Just gotta wait the day of, Chicago is at $250 right now plus whatever percentage they tack on. Crowds for these are probably smaller than they expected.

Im also not looking forward to to an album full of 10+ minute songs. Third Eye is fucking great, but like others said many of their songs can be trimmed. My favorite version of Parabola live was when there was no Parabol intro. Didn’t kill the vibe of the crowd.

And FFS I really hope we didn’t wait all this time for a “politically charged” album. They’re better than that (I hope).
    I hate to spoil this for you but Tool has always been politically and socially charged.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The only reason I wouldn’t like 10+ minute long songs nowadays is because my drive to work is only 10 minutes now and I can barely squeeze in Jambi as it is.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I hate to spoil this for you but Tool has always been politically and socially charged.

im specifically talking about some anti-Trump thing. And sorry, but Tool isn’t exactly Rage Against The Machine, nor do they have an eMotive type of album.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    im specifically talking about some anti-Trump thing. And sorry, but Tool isn’t exactly Rage Against The Machine, nor do they have an eMotive type of album.
    I wouldn’t really want Maynard shouting “fuck Trump!” But I wouldn’t mind a Year Zero-style album that’s hugely political but not necessarily partisan.

Even with Eat The Elephant and eMOTIVe, APC was careful about keeping the music about commentary society at large and political movements generally.

I mean, yeah, Trent put up pictures of John McCain’s face superimposed on George W. Bush’s at live shows, Maynard told people to get out and vote Bush out of office at APC shows in 2004, and Puscifer had Trump as Godzilla in a video. But art is always a reflection of the time it was created.

Some of our greatest music, artwork, and literature is a reflection on politics and society at large without necessarily loudly shouting “fuck Ronald Reagan in the face.”

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I wouldn’t really want Maynard shouting “fuck Trump!” But I wouldn’t mind a Year Zero-style album that’s hugely political but not necessarily partisan.

Even with Eat The Elephant and eMOTIVe, APC was careful about keeping the music about commentary society at large and political movements generally.

I mean, yeah, Trent put up pictures of John McCain’s face superimposed on George W. Bush’s at live shows, Maynard told people to get out and vote Bush out of office at APC shows in 2004, and Puscifer had Trump as Godzilla in a video. But art is always a reflection of the time it was created.

Some of our greatest music, artwork, and literature is a reflection on politics and society at large without necessarily loudly shouting “fuck Ronald Reagan in the face.”

OK, so they’ve never really had a politically charged album (or many songs really)- and here’s hoping they don’t hop on that bandwagon. Maynard also, in shows last year, said to not worry about Trump so much and look at ones self- world has bigger problems than just the recent POTUS (or some dumb shit along those lines).

Jeezus tap dancing Kriste dude.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Back on track here...

if theres any fans fans in the Colombus area, keep an eye on StubHub. They have 44 tickets and the clinic isn’t sold out. Could get a great experience for cheap.