Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58
Results 1,711 to 1,719 of 1719

Thread: Tool

  1. #1711
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,898
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i'm extremely interested to see what happens to the classic bands when the boomers are all in the ground – probably exactly what happened with the jazz greats no one listens to anymore (or raves about, at least not on the level of the Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, et al).
    The jazz greats that "no one listens to anymore?!?!" I have millennial friends who primarily listen to Jazz, and if they heard someone say something like that they would erupt into horrified-squeal laughter.

  2. #1712
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Monterrey, México
    Posts
    359
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    (why would anyone who likes Tool like the Beatles? they sound nothing alike, save "The Gaping Lotus Experience," and that's more of a Doors thing anyway...),
    Is that a serious question? I like Tool, I like The Beatles' Abbey Road, I like Johnny Cash, Jurassic 5, (older) Madonna, Black Flag, I like all kinds of diverse music, and I'm sure many people in this board feel the same way. Variety is the spice of life, my friend.

    Speaking of Tool/Beatles comparisons: listen to "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" from Abbey Road...that song pre-dated Black Sabbath's creation of doom rock by several months.

    (By the way: I'm 30 years old so no exactly a baby boomer. And I listen to John Coltrane and Miles Davis from time to time).

  3. #1713
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    1,477
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Regarding The Beatles live, they just couldn't function as a live entity, but it wasn't because they weren't technically proficient enough to play their trickier songs. By the time they were making the experimental awesome stuff, they could have afforded a full symphony orchestra. The problem was they were so gigantic that they couldn't play in venues large enough, and the biggest venues at that time didn't have adequate sound systems to broadcast to the crowd. The Shea Stadium performance is legendary for that... you can only hear the mobs of screaming fans. Also, as the crowds got bigger, Lennon had more issues with his anxiety.
    This isn't a Beatles thread, so I won't ennumerate a long rebuttal about this. Tag me in the proper thread and we'll pick it up there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The jazz greats that "no one listens to anymore?!?!" I have millennial friends who primarily listen to Jazz, and if they heard someone say something like that they would erupt into horrified-squeal laughter.
    I think most people would call those friends of yours "nerds". I'm also a jazz fan but it's nowhere near what it used to be in terms of popularity or influence on the culture.
    Last edited by botley; 02-27-2015 at 11:33 AM.

  4. #1714
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,898
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think most people would call those friends of yours "nerds".
    You could call them "nerds," or you could call them incredible jazz musicians. I don't think the word "nerd" really applies. The influence of jazz music on popular culture may not be as great as it was (and, after all, rock is similarly dead now), but these "nerd" jazz friends of mine get paid more to play their instruments than pretty much anyone else I know.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-27-2015 at 01:20 PM.

  5. #1715
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think most people would call those friends of yours "nerds".
    I don't think there's a hardcore Tool fan out there that can pull the "nerd" card and get away with it. Next time they tour for an album that's nearly 10 years old, go and take a look around in the middle of the show only to find yourself awash in a sea of dorks.

    And I do mean that in a respectful way and nothing towards you at all. I'm just saying that every Tool fan I know is a little "left-of-center" so to speak.
    Last edited by Arcspiral; 02-27-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: cause I sounded like a dick

  6. #1716
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,419
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

  7. #1717
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    canaderp
    Posts
    506
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Is that a serious question? I like Tool, I like The Beatles' Abbey Road, I like Johnny Cash, Jurassic 5, (older) Madonna, Black Flag, I like all kinds of diverse music, and I'm sure many people in this board feel the same way. Variety is the spice of life, my friend.

    Speaking of Tool/Beatles comparisons: listen to "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" from Abbey Road...that song pre-dated Black Sabbath's creation of doom rock by several months.

    (By the way: I'm 30 years old so no exactly a baby boomer. And I listen to John Coltrane and Miles Davis from time to time).
    except your personal taste does nothing to change the way the majority listen, and also, this has nothing to do with my point: people who want Tool soundalikes are the group i was clearly talking about, the ones who go for Soen, Volto!, APC (i guess) and Earshot and whoever else is ripping the technique/elements. the people who try the cited Tool influences are often an unrelated group, not to mention most people have occasion to hear the classics long before Tool because of the boomer throatshoving i mentioned earlier. (and since Tool has very little in common with Sabbath besides long songs with distorted guitar, the "I Want You" thing is a moot point. Adam shies away from diminished fifths usually!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    You could call them "nerds," or you could call them incredible jazz musicians. I don't think the word "nerd" really applies. The influence of jazz music on popular culture may not be as great as it was (and, after all, rock is similarly dead now), but these "nerd" jazz friends of mine get paid more to play their instruments than pretty much anyone else I know.
    exactly: jazz musicians are the primary jazz listening audience (i did half my degree at a world-renowned jazz university, i'm well versed in the crowd and their elitism). there is zero influence on this culture unless it's Diana Krall (and even then...). my point is that pop and rap music are the casual listening and dance culture soundtrack now, even if a select subgroup of millenials like A Love Supreme (hey! that includes me! must completely discount my whole point now! i'm not a millenial, though).

  8. #1718
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I would argue that the vast majority of people here are fans of Tool because they strike a chord with us somewhere. I love Adam's style and Justin's sound is fantastic. Danny blows me a way every time. I like A Perfect Circle because the lyrics speak to me and Billy Howerdel is a fantastic musician. I like Puscifer because I like Maynard's vocals and it's mostly fun music (and, again, lyrics like the ones on "Monsoons" or "Horizons" really speak to someone like me who has a new family and is dealing with loss at the same time).

    HAVING SAID THAT...

    The people in this thread probably aren't just sitting in a basement listening to Undertow on repeat. I think most of us have been listening to other music for the last 10,000 Days (hah, see what I did there?) but still enjoy Tool because they hit that note with us.

    I mean, wait until the new album comes out. For those not there for the Lateralus and 10k Days releases, we're going to be inundated with "OGTs" and teenagers just hearing it for the first time.

  9. #1719
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,073
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Your expression every time I'm about to undress.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions