Page 48 of 263 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    How are they going to release ep's when they have only "almost completed" one song in eight years? Same problem, different output format.

I just wish they'd be honest (maybe even with themselves) and say whatever the real thing is. Maybe it's 'we're just not that into it' or 'we're just not that into each other' or 'we have writers block' or 'we did too many drugs.' Hell, even, 'sorry, but we're lazy' would at least feel more honest. I guess this is the root of my problem with the Tool camp at this point: everything feels so disingenuous.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    A band that was focused on, and had a passion for, the actual music would be writing and completing it despite the bullshit going on around them.
    I can completely understand where you're coming from here, but creativity works differently for everybody. If you're busy all the time with other stuff, and you're being drained by something attached to your creativity that you can find depressing, it can be hard to keep momentum going. Additionally, it can be really dispiriting if you really try to still maintain that creative energy and produce something, only to have it turn out underwhelming.

I say this from my own perspective, where lately I'm trying to motivate myself to get back in the flow of making new music and it's very hard. I've just been overwhelmed with other stuff lately. It gets to the point where the idea of even sketching out ideas feels like work, and that's a sign that it's not going to be something good.

It's got to be another thing when you're already very "comfortable." Every member of Tool can retire and live in luxury, making wine and floating around in the pool, and really never have another worry. I agree that the excuse sounds a little weak, but it's probably that and a little of the above weighing in on it too, which is stuff that isn't good PR to talk about in an interview.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think Danny Carey needs to stop talking about the new album. As far back as late 2011 he's been giving out time tables and quite frankly, I'm sick of it. We hope to have the album recorded and released by the end of 2012, 2013, and now 2014? I think the other band members need to have a sit down with their drummer and forbid him from talking about the new album or giving estimations to its eventual release.

As for the recent article, all of it might be true. The band has to focus on the lawsuit and wants to put the issue behind them. As a result it's drained their collective creative energy and focus on the new album has suffered because of it. It all could be true, but it feels like another excuse.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    I think Danny Carey needs to stop talking about the new album. As far back as late 2011 he's been giving out time tables and quite frankly, I'm sick of it. We hope to have the album recorded and released by the end of 2012, 2013, and now 2014? I think the other band members need to have a sit down with their drummer and forbid him from talking about the new album or giving estimations to its eventual release.

As for the recent article, all of it might be true. The band has to focus on the lawsuit and wants to put the issue behind them. As a result it's drained their collective creative energy and focus on the new album has suffered because of it. It all could be true, but it feels like another excuse.
    I'm fucking sick of this "drained creative energy" nonsense. a good 99% of us have to work day jobs before we even get to try having creative energy. you think a lawsuit drains your energy? try BEING AN ACTUAL FUCKING LAWYER (says the lawyer). And yet I muster up the creative energy when I can. Sure, I'm not fucking Tool, but then again I'm not a fucking millionaire who doesn't have to work a day job?

jesus, what a pathetic excuse for these guys

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Fuck off, getting sued and doing your job are two entirely different things.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    Fuck off, getting sued and doing your job are two entirely different things.
    true, but I also happen to know exactly what is involved in getting sued. HINT: not much for 99.9% of the time

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    So I just actually read the article.
    The way they describe their new songs... Did they literally say that, or handed it off to a pitchfork writer? "Not out-of-the-gate crazy heavy, but there are these little journeys with nice paths that end up very heavy" - the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So I just actually read the article.
    The way they describe their new songs... Did they literally say that, or handed it off to a pitchfork writer? "Not out-of-the-gate crazy heavy, but there are these little journeys with nice paths that end up very heavy" - the fuck is that supposed to mean?
    lol

Hey I'm intrigued now...if they're describing shit like that.

Oh Tool.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    true, but I also happen to know exactly what is involved in getting sued. HINT: not much for 99.9% of the time
    The words of a lawyer, right there.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    are there any pro shot tool shows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    lol no
    ten chars
    IIRC, they filmed a couple of their shows from the tail end of the Lateralus touring cycle. I doubt that will ever see a release at this point, though.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    During the last tour earlier this year, a reliable little bird told me that she has several live albums and almost completely done songs lying around her house, but nothing ever gets done with them. She also told me her husband goes to work every day and comes home annoyed and angry because some of the other people involved aren't taking the band very seriously. She also said that, generally, the wives are just as frustrated as the fans at the lack of progress and that they want more Tool to be released just as much as we do.

Take that as you'd like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, I honestly don't even want a new Tool album at this point. I used to want it after seeing Danny's band and how awesome the jam style playing was. But they would create an album by now if the passion was there still for this project, imo.

Idk, just still riding the high and perfection that was the last Cinquanta show.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Oh I love how sick everyone is of the bands "bull shit"

These guys don't owe any of you people anything. Least of all an explanation.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Another IIRC, wasnt Lateralus delayed because of legal issues at the time? Something to do with their record label. I dont blame the band one bit for not wanting to release anything during these times.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    yes, with their previous label. still released Salival though. you know, since releasing a live record can fund your legal battles. (...)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    They could release SOMETHING. Fuck, update the website and put out an EP or a single song that is its own standalone piece. Or some old live shit thats just sitting around. SOMETHING. ANYTHING. I agree that it seems like someone in the band, if not everyone, is just not into it anymore. I love prog and i love 10+ minute songs and all of that introspective shit, but i would really be blown away if they went back to more aggressive sounding, faster, shorter songs.

And why would they re-release Opiate without a proper remaster? Sweat is one of my favorite tool songs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    They could release SOMETHING. Fuck, update the website and put out an EP or a single song that is its own standalone piece. Or some old live shit thats just sitting around. SOMETHING. ANYTHING. I agree that it seems like someone in the band, if not everyone, is just not into it anymore. I love prog and i love 10+ minute songs and all of that introspective shit, but i would really be blown away if they went back to more aggressive sounding, faster, shorter songs.

And why would they re-release Opiate without a proper remaster? Sweat is one of my favorite tool songs.
    One word - laziness.

It's sad that one of my favourite bands ever has such little motivation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Laziness? That's a bit bold..

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Laziness? That's a bit bold..
    Well, while I'm not sure if I would call it "laziness" really, this is not what a band that's struggling to make ends meet does. I guess it would be presumptuous as well to tag it indifference or nonchalance, but yeeeeeaaaaa......

All you can hope is that when the time comes for them to get in the studio and crack it out, that they're on point... and I think that's a given. Honestly, if they were being truly "lazy," they'd be throwing some really sorry music out there. The fact that they seem so intent upon, above all else, not doing that, is probably a good thing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    To sum that interview up...

"So Adam, when's the new album coming out…"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Calling this now, when the trial comes it would get delayed for the same reasons as before and we're going to get another mini tour to recoup their legal costs.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I wonder if Billy Howerdel is also having a lawsuit... Hence close to no new APC material, despite him and MJK supposedly "writing and bouncing ideas back and forth" for many years

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not everyone is incapable of writing music while the lawyers battle it out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    During the 11-year gap between the last two Primus albums, a few of us used to speculate what would come first, a new Tool album or a new Primus album.

I would never in my wildest dreams imagined that a Primus album (and follow-up) would have arrived before a new Tool album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Well, that about settles it then. Tool is officially the worst band ever, wouldnt you guys agree?????!?!?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just finally heard that kalamazoo show from 98 and holy fuck its awesome. That must be THE best version of stinkfist ive ever heard.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Not everyone is incapable of writing music while the lawyers battle it out.
    Remember that at least two members of the band got married. There was one divorce and now two (three?) children since 10,000 Days came out. It's not like the lawsuit is the only thing holding them back. But, IIRC, Tool funds their productions themselves and they could be having trouble getting the funds for that. Which could explain why members of the band allegedly aren't taking it seriously. If there's no money to record, why spend too much time writing when they could be doing other things?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I think they intentionally named the last record 10,000 Days because that is literally how long between that album and the next they planned on waiting to release a new one.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think they intentionally named the last record 10,000 Days because that is literally how long between that album and the next they planned on waiting to release a new one.
    I'm not sure I can love this comment enough.