Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Begun, the rodent war has.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I think it's just a case that 3 out of every 4 Tool fans liked it way better in the days when the band needed a paycheck and could also bang out albums as great as Undertow and Aenima in two or three year incremements. Not this "three quarters of the band disappears for 10 years while the once-mysterious frontman starts a dick-joke band that puts out more remix albums than actual studio records" shit.
    Hit the nail on the head.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hit the nail on the head.
    To be fair, Tool is the dick joke. Puscifer is a vagina joke.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Just wanted to chime in to say it's fine to not enjoy Puscifer, but to write them off as some joke band with no substance is pretty dumb.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    ^ Sage wisdom from Harry Seaward, lol.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I have to disagree with them being irrelevant, they can still sell out arenas and the Phoenix festival sold out with an estimated 25k-30k people in attendance.

Yeah, A LOT of people still give a shit about the band. Not many bands, particularly ones that are on the "heavy" side of the rock music genre, can only put a limited amount of new full length releases over 15 years and pull this stuff off. Metallica would be the only other one that comes to mind.

Not sticking up for some of the band members laziness but those are just facts. They've put out some great and timeless material that people can still resonate with. It also definitely helps to be known as one of the better live bands to see- or "was" one of the better live bands to see.
    Agree with this. 10,000 Days went platinum pretty damn fast after its release, and I thought stretches of that album were a chore to listen to. I’d bet if they put out a new album today it would go platinum in the U.S. within a years time, and sell millions more globally. I think that tool and radiohead are among the few left from all the big 90s metal/rock/grunge/alt. bands that could still manage those kinds of numbers in album sales.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    To be fair, Tool is the dick joke. Puscifer is a vagina joke.
    And as quickly as it began, the rodent war is already ended.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    What else can they really do? The longer the wait, the higher the expectations. There's no way they're going to top their past albums. Maybe that's the reason why they're not working on anything. Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing. And with the kind of fan base that they have, that could only add to their weariness of recording another album.
    It's a cycle. Opiate/Undertow fans complained about the shift when Ænima came out. Ænima fans complained about the tone when Lateralus came out. And Lateralus fans were disappointed by the lack of seriousness on 10,000 Days.

Tool has always been good at channeling the zeitgeist of a particular musical period. They slipped in under the grunge and alternative rock with Opiate/Undertow. Ænima had a lot of industrial overtones at a time when that was predominant. Lateralus came out during a period when experimental music was catching on and there was a lot of wiggle room. When 10,000 Days came out things had settled back into a mid 90s alternative sound again. Granted, it was more generic.

In a way 10,000 Days has more in common with Undertow. They even recorded it in the same studio with a more aggressive engineer/producer than Ænima and Lateralus. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of complexity on 10,000 Days and they definitely took some pages from Lateralus.

Everyone's going to hate the next album for some reason or another. People are already criticizing a 3 minute "preview" as being a Lateralus retread. When, really, that's part of the musical landscape again, right now.

There's gonna be an influx of fresh blood into the Tool fan base. They'll want it all. They'll want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, they might offend a few of the curmudgeons with their cocky strides and newfound tastes - oh, they'll never be the darling of the so-called "OGTs" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Maynard Keenan?"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The new one sounds ok. Def sounds like Wings a little. I am all for long songs, IF they are interesting to listen to and keep changing. Like old Gabriel era Genesis or Yes or the like. I just get bored when its the same riff over and over, like its used to just add minutes. I get that theres a build up and it sets the mood but it can be hard to listen to without fast forwarding to the meat of it. I hope Tool doesnt do that with this song.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    They'll want it all. They'll want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, they might offend a few of the curmudgeons with their cocky strides and newfound tastes - oh, they'll never be the darling of the so-called "OGTs" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Maynard Keenan?"
    Hiya, Homer!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    People are already criticizing a 3 minute "preview" as being a Lateralus retread.
    I laughed at this. If anything, it sound like a mix of pre-Lateralus stuff. Bassline resembles You Lied, guitar has something from Pushit and percussion resembles a part of H. (OK, the ending is kinda The Grudge-like). Or is it just me hearing this?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    My only legit gripe as a fan is that I think Puscifer is mildly amusing but overall a waste of Maynard's talents. I'm sure he doesn't feel that way at all and it doesn't matter one iota what I think. I totally realize this. But do I think Puscifer and all the myriad releases behind the project justify Tool being dormant for the past ten years? No, not even close. Hence why my interest has waned so considerably.
    The band has been pretty outspoken about Maynard's other projects not being the cause of the gap.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    This cracks me up to read. I cant imagine why anyone would complain about the stylistic shift from Undertow to Aenima.
    Dude, as i've mentioned before, it took me a WHILE to warm up to Aenima.
    I LOVED the sounds of undertow and opiate, which i had been listening to constantly after receiving them for my thirteenth birthday.
    Aenima sounded totally different to me. @gerbil has a point.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    I’d bet if they put out a new album today it would go platinum in the U.S. within a years time, and sell millions more globally. I think that tool and radiohead are among the few left from all the big 90s metal/rock/grunge/alt. bands that could still manage those kinds of numbers in album sales.
    Radiohead's last studio album didn't even go Gold in the USA. Those days are over. Tool will be lucky to sell 250,000 (which is one-half Gold, domestically) if they put out another album; everyone else will steal it.
    Last edited by botley; 11-09-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Those days are over. Tool will be lucky to sell 250,000 (which is one-half Gold, domestically) if they put out another album; everyone else will steal it.
    You may very well be right about Tool. Maybe it has been too long, and people won’t be crawling out of the woodwork to buy a new album this time. It’s one of those things where we won’t know for sure until it happens. But if I were a betting man, I’d bet the album does reeeally well in sales.

Radiohead's last studio album didn't even go Gold in the USA.
    I personally didn’t think King of Limbs was all that great of an album to begin with, but Radiohead also didn’t do the album’s sales figures any favors with its bizarre release model. That said, the domestic sales figures may actually look more impressive if the RIAA had factored in the digital album sales. According to one report about TKOL, “Financially, it was probably the most successful record they've ever made, or pretty close.” If true, the album must have had much sturdier domestic (and global) figures with the digital sales included, than what the official RIAA tally makes it look like.

But on topic, if Tool does make a new album, I hope they stick to their guns and make us buy a physical product. To date, have they put any of their albums for sale digitally?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    No they have not. Also, the RIAA doesn’t just give out awards for Gold & Platinum, the record label has to apply for certification. Since Radiohead own their label now, I doubt that they'd bother to, even if TKOL sold a million in the USA (which is doubtful). Tool don't have a robust enough Web presence to sell directly to fans like Radiohead do, however.

No, one million people are not going to drive to the record store or log into Amazon and spend their dough on an album about getting fucked in your chakras or whatever. Sorry guys.
    Last edited by botley; 11-10-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Some valid points.

You honestly could be right. In any event, it would still be interesting to see exactly what tool has left in the tank and how far it would go today with a new album. But until they move their ass and do it, its all just speculation about castles in the sky.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The only profitable release option remaining that I can think of for them would be some kind of retailer-exclusive deal... which seems antithetical to Tool.
    Last edited by botley; 11-10-2015 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised to see digital content hit the web before another album. Probably in the Led Zeppelin collection vein with demos and remastered.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised to see digital content hit the web before another album. Probably in the Led Zeppelin collection vein with demos and remastered.
    They had the opportunity to do that with the "21st Anniversary" Opiate reissue. Instead, just it just included the exact same CD master as before.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Eh. Who knows, it's just speculation. It seems they are, in fact, doing something with Opiate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's gonna be an influx of fresh blood into the Tool fan base. They'll want it all. They'll want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, they might offend a few of the curmudgeons with their cocky strides and newfound tastes - oh, they'll never be the darling of the so-called "OGTs" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Maynard Keenan?"
    One of the better posts I've read XD

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    "Deluxe VIP option ($700): New album (when finished), a sip of whatever wine Maynard is goo-goo about at the time, watch the band hang out in the studio and call their fans retards for 30 minutes via Skype, exclusive 24th anniversary vinyl edition of Opiate spread across 2 LPs for optimum sound, and a personal insult from that guy who runs the Tool website"
    That's the part where i lost my shit and actually laughed out loud. Thanks. I needed that
    And you're right, it did take me a while to come around to the genius of Aenima. It's kind of embarrassing to admit, because it IS a genius album and definitely one of my favorites of all time.
    It was just WILDLY different from the tool i knew and loved.

And @botley , i was about to disagree with you about tool not being able to sell a million physical copies of an album until i did a little research. Only FOUR albums went platinum last year, and one of them was the frozen soundtrack!

I SERIOUSLY wonder what's going to happen to the music industry.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Go see big-ticket artists like Tool play live while you still can, that's my advice. They will not be around forever, and nothing is coming along to replace them.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism;
    i think the best way these days to judge bands is where they chart and possibly for how long, and not necessarily the sales. Sales are obviously going to be diminished since the DL days.

Also see how ticket sales are for arena shows, and can said band headline the huge festivals (Lolla, Coachella, etc.).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Nothing. It'll trundle along like it always has. Right now, artists are getting more and more power because they can always go out on their own fairly easily. A band can build a devoted fan base using any number of sites now.

Go see big-ticket artists like Tool play live while you still can, that's my advice. They will not be around forever, and nothing is coming along to replace them.
    I disagree only because it's getting cheaper and cheaper for smaller bands to create similar experiences. Plus, bands are getting more independent.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    And @botley , i was about to disagree with you about tool not being able to sell a million physical copies of an album until i did a little research. Only FOUR albums went platinum last year, and one of them was the frozen soundtrack!

Many people do still buy music all around the world, even here in the States. Hell, even Trent went back to a big label, for some reason, to do HM. So its not quite dead yet.

Maybe “album” sales in general are hurt by the format of allowing people to buy just the “hit song” instead of being forced to buy a whole album's worth of perceived filler just to get the one or two songs they actually want? Maybe more people want mixes and playlists of hits instead of albums from artists? Maybe if more artists made complete albums of music that people actually wanted, then album sales would be stronger.

Oh god, did I just turn into Billy Corgan? Lord save me!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, I have it on good authority (one of the band member's wives) that the new album will definitely be released digitally. She also mentioned that she has tons of music lying around her house, which includes potential live CDs and DVDs. She also said that she and the rest of the wives are as eager as the fans for more Tool and they push the dudes as much as they can to get to work. This was in March of last year, but she also told me that her husband goes into 'work' every day and usually comes home angry or pissed off because one or more of his coworkers don't show up or don't care about the work. There was definitely some bitterness in her voice while talking about this, although it was after a show and she seemed to have had a healthy amount of alcohol that night. Take that all with a grain of salt on account of it being third-hand information from a drunk wife. Not to mention this was 20 months ago, so it's perfectly reasonable to guess that the work situation is completely different by now.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The "Digital release" part makes sense, since Maynard hates record companies but i can't believe they would refuse the money from doing a physical release, even if it's limited, just the Vinyl collectors are a great target market.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I will be extremely surprised if both digital and vinyl are released at the same time as the CD. And not just because of the pressing turnaround being insanely long.