Page 12 of 263 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    What's the reason for assuming that every picture on the internet is supposed to be funny?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I dont know...I just kind of chuckled when I saw his face and that comment so I posted...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    It made me have a slight grin.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think theimage was talking to bobbie solo.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I got a chuckle out of it. I think any close up of a serious Maynard, or with a blank expression is pretty darn funny.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Is that Maynard's dick at the beginning?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Is that Maynard's dick at the beginning?
    Welp, not what I was expecting at all.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What, the giant HARD at the beginning didn't give you a clue at all?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That's even gayer than what Cuntry Boner hoped to achieve.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Is there a website like nincollector for Tool stuff?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Vic Firth has released a spotlight video of Danny Carey. Some very great footage there and interesting information.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, in the video, Danny says they're heading to the studio in June or July. He then says it takes them about two to three months to record, mix and master the record. So that means the new Tool record should be done, and conceivably out, by the end of the year.

I'm trying not to get excited, because my heart has been broken before. But damn. We might have a new Tool record by the end of the year. I can't wait to be disappointed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    ...We might have a new Tool record by the end of the year. I can't wait to be disappointed!
    Yeah, I expect a disappointing album too.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Yeah, I expect a disappointing album too.
    Any particular reason why?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Well, I was joking, but I am cautiously optimistic now (as opposed to just optimistic) since 10,000 Days was so bad. But one bad album doesn't necessarily mean they've lost it. Hopefully the next one will be great.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    since 10,000 Days was so bad.
    I hear this more often than I'd like to. That record might be my favorite Tool album. Any specific reasons it doesn't jive with you?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Nevermind, he probably said it 10,000 times already (including old board)

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I hear this more often than I'd like to. That record might be my favorite Tool album. Any specific reasons it doesn't jive with you?
    It sounded like a record of b-sides to me. With every Tool album, there was a progression of their sound, right up until 10,000 Days. Then it just seems like they either only gave half a shit (which I doubt) or they just used up their creativity. I wasn't expecting it to top Lateralus, I wouldn't have minded if it wasn't as good, but the songs on that one just felt stale and boring."Vicarious" is the only song on there I can say I genuinely like, and even then, it's not that great of a song, at least on record. I actually really like it live, because it has a great energy to it, but if I were being totally honest, I would say it's good but not great. And that's about it. Everything else on there is pretty meh to awful.

Which is a shame because I think Wings for Marie and the title track are maybe the best lyrics Maynard has ever written. But none of the music matches that level of quality.

Anyway, all that to say maybe it's just not my cup of tea. Like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic. Tool's still my second favorite band, and Lateralus remains my second favorite album ever, so I'm not giving up hope.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Which is a shame because I think Wings for Marie and the title track are maybe the best lyrics Maynard has ever written. But none of the music matches that level of quality.
    Wow... Are we really talking about the same band, here? Justin Chancellor is a goddamn terror on that song. Anyway, not your cup of tea. Got it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I think it may be because I wasn't a fan of Tool until a few years after 10,000 Days was released. I guess I had no expectations, because I wasn't around for the progression of their career. And 10,000 Days was the first Tool record I listened to, and I was hooked. Rosetta Stoned is still my favorite Tool song. The musicianship in Jambi is incredible. The Pot is catchy as all fucking hell, and that bassline melts my face every time. The title track (both parts) may be the magnum opus of Tool's career, at least in my eyes. The synth drum breakdown shit in Intension gets me wet.

So, needless to say, I love that record. I agree it sounds a little strange when compared to the rest of their discography, but I don't consider that a bad thing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't really like them that much...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    I don't really like them that much...
    Well, what a fantastic first post. Welcome to ets, you'll fit right in here!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    Vic Firth has released a spotlight video of Danny Carey. Some very great footage there and interesting information.

Great stuff, thanks!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, I liked TOOL well before the 10,000 days release. probably got into them a year or two before Lateralus came out. But that's neither here nor there.
    My point now is to say I enjoyed 10,000 days. It's not their top album, but I think it was a step in the right direction for the band. I never understood all the hate for the album. it has less filler crap than previous albums, but something about the actual "real" songs that really stike me as being quite magnificient.

Mainly back to back wings songs. I think that is the epitome of epic song-writing right there. It's a very beautiful and heartfelt song. Maynard is really digging into his personal life on that one to share with everyone.

Even jambi and The Pot are very awesomely catchy, despite the ridiculious lyrics. But if you want to talk about ridiculious lyrics, we can't leave out Rosetta Stoned, the lyrics are downright cheesy, but it works, and it works well! It's an epic 9 minute song that doesn't get old, it literally keeps you wondering what the hell he is going to talk about next. I like songs that progress like that rather then repeat themselves over and over with the same few lines of lyrics.

You know the more I type about this album, the more I am shocked there are so many TOOL fans that dislike it. I just took a gander at the tracklisting, as I forgot the name of Rosetta Stones and then I see there are 2 other masterpieces to end the album... Intension and Right In Two. Right in Two is another beautiful song, just the music and everything about the song sends a shiver down your spine.

How can anyone dislike this album??

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    But if you want to talk about ridiculious lyrics, we can't leave out Rosetta Stoned, the lyrics are downright cheesy
    At face value. As I posted a few months back, I think it's totally purposeful.

We all know Maynard can write some killer lyrics, so the lyrics to that song have to be written that way with a reason. My interpretation was that it's a beautiful juxtaposition of blubbering, idiotic lyrics against the backdrop of some of Tool's most complex and hectic music. It's a perfect embodiment of the meaning of the song. There is a world of chaos and terror going nuts in the narrator's brain and he's so overwhelmed by all of it, he can only speak in this rambling jibberish.

I think that song catches a lot of slack because people just hear stupid lyrics and take them as stupid lyrics. E.G. "Maynard singing about Krispy Kremes and Sudafed, really?"

Sorry for this semi-random tangent though, I just can't talk highly enough of that song.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Viginti tres?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Didn't Maynard say that a lot of the material for 10,000 Days was actually written during the sessions for Lateralus, which might explain why the album sounds like a collection of outtakes from Lateralus?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post

Viginti tres?
    "Viginti Tres" is just some noise at the very end of 10,000 Days that you can skip if you don't like. That's like saying you don't like Lateralus because of "Faiip de Oiad".

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Didn't Maynard say that a lot of the material for 10,000 Days was actually written during the sessions for Lateralus, which might explain why the album sounds like a collection of outtakes from Lateralus?
    That would actually give me a lot more hope for the next album.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    "Viginti Tres" is just some noise at the very end of 10,000 Days that you can skip if you don't like. That's like saying you don't like Lateralus because of "Faiip de Oiad".
    hey, hands off Faaip! and -Ions for that matter. i wouldn't throw it away, just curious about what do the long-time fans think of those interludes