Page 124 of 263 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 224 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 7873

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Maynard James Keenan accused of raping 17 y/o during the Fragility Tour

Ugh...this really bums me out if this turns out to be true.
    Over here please - http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...ry-in-the-News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone catch/record Adam’s live Instagram today? Could have sworn I heard Maynard in the background talking about recording. It’s gone now though...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So, this year I discovered Puscifer, after many years of not caring for Tool (though I never spent much time listening to them). Tool would always pop up in Pandora, etc. on NIN radio -- would irritate me as I never saw it as anything similar to NIN at all. Anyhow, so now I am obsessed with a song (thanks Amazon Prime NIN radio? I guess their algorithm is quite a bit better than Pandora of years ago), and I'm moving into other songs (they are very unique and interesting and I really am enjoying what Carina Round adds), and watching interviews with MJK (he's quite interesting). I listen to a lot of music but most pretty casually. I have very few bands/artists that I follow intensely--NIN being the top with nothing else close. Anyways, the last time I got sucked into a song this much was SICNH back in 2007, and now here I am first (or fourth or maybe tenth) in line at multiple GA concerts, travelling around the country, multiple setlists on my wall, spending way too much on merch, etc. (I guess I tend to get just a tiny bit obsessive...). I don't have time or money to get into another band like that. So, I think I need to just stop listening to Puscifer/MJK? Though it seems he certainly doesn't have the stage presence that I desire, so maybe it's fine.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    Anyhow, so now I am obsessed with a song (thanks Amazon Prime NIN radio? I guess their algorithm is quite a bit better than Pandora of years ago), and I'm moving into other songs (they are very unique and interesting and I really am enjoying what Carina Round adds), and watching interviews with MJK (he's quite interesting).
    Out of curiosity, what's the song that hooked you? What are the other songs you like? When "Rev 22:20" came out, I was pretty obsessed with that song. I liked The Undertaker a lot, but "V" is for Vagina initially confused me and I wasn't sure I liked it at first – except for "Momma Sed," which immediately and easily stood out to me as best song of the album. I consider "C" Is for (Please Insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here) and Money Shot to be their best material. Overall, I think they're pretty underrated, especially among Tool fans who only view the band as an obstacle that's blocking or delaying the next Tool album.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    So, this year I discovered Puscifer, after many years of not caring for Tool (though I never spent much time listening to them). Tool would always pop up in Pandora, etc. on NIN radio -- would irritate me as I never saw it as anything similar to NIN at all. Anyhow, so now I am obsessed with a song (thanks Amazon Prime NIN radio? I guess their algorithm is quite a bit better than Pandora of years ago), and I'm moving into other songs (they are very unique and interesting and I really am enjoying what Carina Round adds), and watching interviews with MJK (he's quite interesting). I listen to a lot of music but most pretty casually. I have very few bands/artists that I follow intensely--NIN being the top with nothing else close. Anyways, the last time I got sucked into a song this much was SICNH back in 2007, and now here I am first (or fourth or maybe tenth) in line at multiple GA concerts, travelling around the country, multiple setlists on my wall, spending way too much on merch, etc. (I guess I tend to get just a tiny bit obsessive...). I don't have time or money to get into another band like that. So, I think I need to just stop listening to Puscifer/MJK? Though it seems he certainly doesn't have the stage presence that I desire, so maybe it's fine.
    Check out Carina's solo material if you haven't. If you're enjoying her contributions to Puscifer there's a good chance you will enjoy her solo material as well.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    Check out Carina's solo material if you haven't. If you're enjoying her contributions to Puscifer there's a good chance you will enjoy her solo material as well.
    I would add that it’s wise to sample it all because her work is incredibly varied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's the song that hooked you? What are the other songs you like?
    The song that hooked me was the Humbling River. Next I listened to the Remedy like an insane amount of times (I tend to focus on a song over and over until I feel I know it so intimately.... Does my spouse ever hate that...). Now I'm into Momma Said, Horizons, and Indigo Children (totally hypnotic and strange and so addicting).

When I first got into the Humbling River, I was thinking it was so weird because I wouldn't have imagined MJK was religious. So I googled just that. I was led to Rev 22:20, and I thought how bizarre that they are so polar opposites... So I had to learn more. This week I've been focusing on Money Shot. Next, I think I'm going to "C" Is for (Please Insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here). I tend to focus on a small group of songs for a while before the next.

I really want that limited edition hoodie (the cold shoulder one) on the website but damn I feel too old for that.

Edit: Falling asleep with Remedy still on repeat. My favorite part has changed a few times. Now it's when he starts into "You speak like someone...."
    Last edited by sinspots; 07-22-2018 at 02:30 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    On my to-do list, thank you!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The song that hooked me was the Humbling River. Next I listened to the Remedy like an insane amount of times (I tend to focus on a song over and over until I feel I know it so intimately.... Does my spouse ever hate that...). Now I'm into Momma Said, Horizons, and Indigo Children (totally hypnotic and strange and so addicting).
    Check this out.

When I first got into the Humbling River, I was thinking it was so weird because I wouldn't have imagined MJK was religious. So I googled just that. I was led to Rev 22:20, and I thought how bizarre that they are so polar opposites... So I had to learn more. This week I've been focusing on Money Shot. Next, I think I'm going to "C" Is for (Please Insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here). I tend to focus on a small group of songs for a while before the next.
    'Religious' is a... weird way to interpret a song from an EP with a title referencing another vagina and has Jesus making a poop joke on the cover. I feel like you might be putting something into that song that isn't there.

Anywho, here are some more cool stuff.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Welcome to Puscifer - they have their own thread, you know

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...light=puscifer

As someone who could technically be considered a Tool "OG", I actually kind of prefer Puscifer these days. Comparing recent touring setlists and overall productions, I'd actually go see Puscifer over Tool these days (and yes, I've seen them both already). Which version of Momma Sed did you get hooked on? I liked the album version when it came out, but the live version on the EP is just in a whole other league.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Welcome to Puscifer - they have their own t
    As someone who could technically be considered a Tool "OG"
    Short story long,
    Wow. So you're...OGT. And that means you're special.

Dumb jokes aside, i, too, have been a fan since damn near the beginning: I received the Opiate cassette for my 13th birthday in spring of 93.
    Getting that cassette was kind of a fluke you know? It came from a nerdy friend who was utterly fanatical about keeping up with underground rock acts: specifically punk acts. I didn't usually pay much attention to the tapes he gave me (which he usually copied himself) because punk rock has just never been my thing.
    This one, however, I gave a chance, because a.)my friend didn't copy it; rather, he paid money for it, b.)he kept saying it wasn't traditional punk and c.) He would NOT shut up about it!
    And sweet serendipity, I was hooked. 26 years later I'm still a huge fan, and aside from initially being taken aback by the stylistic changes between Undertow and Aenima (which I didn't give a proper chance for some months,) I've dove into and loved every Tool release.

Then Mer de Noms came out and I had THAT shit on repeat for months, quite literally. I like/liked APC MORE than tool I think.

And then there was Puscifer. (I'm reaching the actual, real POINT of this mania fueled nonsense.)
    Somehow I managed to sort of "miss" Puscifer . They were releasing music and all the name meant to ME was that it was a reference to a bit on Mr Show. And by the time I had access to the music, there was enough Puscifer stuff to overwhelm me a little: the thing seemed almost like a movement I wasn't part of.

So, @theimage13

Here, finally, are my questions: where should i start with Puscifer? With what mindset should I approach it? How does it compare with Tool and A Perfect Circus? How would you describe the tone of it? Generally, would someone who utterly adores Tool and APC enjoy Puscifer?

Edit: I'm sorry for clogging the thread with talk of a band that isn't tool, but I wanted opinions on said tool RELATED band from TOOL fans as opposed to Puscifer faithful. I hope that's ok, at least for a few posts.)
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-22-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Explanation, typographic error, sheer idiocy

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'll skip the whole history of my getting into them and just share what tracks I'd suggest starting with as kind of a primer for Tool / APC fans.

Momma Sed (album version first, though I prefer the EP version)
    Rev 22:20 (there is something seriously haunting about this song to me)
    The Mission
    Potions
    Humbling River (probably the "best" of these five)

That's a primer for pre-2010 Puscifer. Once you're getting into those, I would honestly just listen to Conditions of My Parole straight through (though if I had to pick favorites from that one: Green Valley, Man Overboard, Toma, The Rapture, Conditions, and Tumbleweed). Then you've got two original tracks - Breathe and Dear Brother - from the Donkey Punch EP. Both solid and underrated, in my opinion.

Which brings us to now(ish) with Money Shot. Virtually the only song I'm not a huge fan of is the title track. I'll admit that some songs were more "growers" than "showers" on first listen, but that changed pretty fast for me. To me, songs that might stick out for you: Money Shot, The Arsonist, and The Remedy. Personal favorites though are Agostina, Grand Canyon (though not the first time around), Smoke and Mirrors, and Autumn (the last two of which they closed the show with the first time I saw them, and I left the theater with chills).

As far as a mindset goes: don't try that approach. Each album tends to be written with a certain theme in mind, and he changes the tour production drastically to match. If you try to get into a mindset, it may clash with the music and make you dislike it without giving it a fair shot. I wish, wish, wish that I could have seen the Conditions tour - thankfully, the What Is... recording exists. HIGHLY recommended viewing. Then Money Shot came out, and the whole thing was lucha libre themed - not my style per se, but the music was just so fucking good live (they played literally the entire new album, among other songs). To me, it seemed as though Maynard was much more interested in performing then than he did with Tool, and for good reason - it's HIS band; he's the creative director. In Tool, he's basically the singer in Adam's band.

So yeah, I'd forgo any specific mindset and just try out the tracks I mentioned, or maybe even get a copy of What Is... and watch it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'll skip the whole history of my getting into them and just share what tracks I'd suggest starting with as kind of a primer for Tool / APC fans.

Momma Sed (album version first, though I prefer the EP version)
    Rev 22:20 (there is something seriously haunting about this song to me)
    The Mission
    Potions
    Humbling River (probably the "best" of these five)

That's a primer for pre-2010 Puscifer. Once you're getting into those, I would honestly just listen to Conditions of My Parole straight through (though if I had to pick favorites from that one: Green Valley, Man Overboard, Toma, The Rapture, Conditions, and Tumbleweed). Then you've got two original tracks - Breathe and Dear Brother - from the Donkey Punch EP. Both solid and underrated, in my opinion.

Which brings us to now(ish) with Money Shot. Virtually the only song I'm not a huge fan of is the title track. I'll admit that some songs were more "growers" than "showers" on first listen, but that changed pretty fast for me. To me, songs that might stick out for you: Money Shot, The Arsonist, and The Remedy. Personal favorites though are Agostina, Grand Canyon (though not the first time around), Smoke and Mirrors, and Autumn (the last two of which they closed the show with the first time I saw them, and I left the theater with chills).

As far as a mindset goes: don't try that approach. Each album tends to be written with a certain theme in mind, and he changes the tour production drastically to match. If you try to get into a mindset, it may clash with the music and make you dislike it without giving it a fair shot. I wish, wish, wish that I could have seen the Conditions tour - thankfully, the What Is... recording exists. HIGHLY recommended viewing. Then Money Shot came out, and the whole thing was lucha libre themed - not my style per se, but the music was just so fucking good live (they played literally the entire new album, among other songs). To me, it seemed as though Maynard was much more interested in performing then than he did with Tool, and for good reason - it's HIS band; he's the creative director. In Tool, he's basically the singer in Adam's band.

So yeah, I'd forgo any specific mindset and just try out the tracks I mentioned, or maybe even get a copy of What Is... and watch it.
    Seeing Money Shot live really put the track into context for me. It’s much more powerful with that driving bass and pulsing vocal back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    A couple of extra helpful Puscifer suggestions: When you get to the Money Shot album, be sure to listen to both the CD and vinyl versions of Simultaneous. Both are good, but I prefer the vinyl version. Also, he sings about some pretty deep things with some serious emotion, but he's not averse to dropping a juvenile, tongue in cheek limerick right smack in the middle of a song. The humor is a very important part of Puscifer. I think the message here is, enjoy the songs and think deeply about them, but don't get so serious you forget to have fun.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    A couple of extra helpful Puscifer suggestions: When you get to the Money Shot album, be sure to listen to both the CD and vinyl versions of Simultaneous. Both are good, but I prefer the vinyl version. Also, he sings about some pretty deep things with some serious emotion, but he's not averse to dropping a juvenile, tongue in cheek limerick right smack in the middle of a song. The humor is a very important part of Puscifer. I think the message here is, enjoy the songs and think deeply about them, but don't get so serious you forget to have fun.
    Yup - very good point. Puscifer is part thoughtful and inspired poetry, and part dick jokes. And it's amazing how well he blends them.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    A couple of extra helpful Puscifer suggestions: When you get to the Money Shot album, be sure to listen to both the CD and vinyl versions of Simultaneous. Both are good, but I prefer the vinyl version.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try finding that version of the album. Couldn't even get through the digital release on Tidal, the production sounded so over-cooked and like it had EVERYTHING TURNED UP LOUD everywhere. The new APC album also didn't wow me in the sound-quality regard either, but maybe its vinyl pressing is better too. It's hard to predict how much care they actually put into the mastering of sound with those projects, these days. I know Adam Jones is attempting to remaster the Tool catalogue for the LP format while they work on the new album. Or so he claims, when he's been online.
    Last edited by botley; 07-22-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I first got into Puscifer from being a Tool fanboy when I was about 16 or 17, along with APC so that got me instantly intrigued. When they posted Rev 22:20 on MySpace I belive?? I fell in love. Not only for the sexy ass/haunting feeling it gave me, but Milla Jovovich's addition made me love it even more. The Mission I absolutely adore, and The Undertaker remix had me hooked as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Welcome to Puscifer - they have their own thread, you know

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...light=puscifer

As someone who could technically be considered a Tool "OG", I actually kind of prefer Puscifer these days. Comparing recent touring setlists and overall productions, I'd actually go see Puscifer over Tool these days (and yes, I've seen them both already). Which version of Momma Sed did you get hooked on? I liked the album version when it came out, but the live version on the EP is just in a whole other league.
    Thanks! I did not know about the separate thread. Sorry for clogging this one up! Album version of Momma Sed for now, will head to the live EP version next, thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    'Religious' is a... weird way to interpret a song from an EP with a title referencing another vagina and has Jesus making a poop joke on the cover. I feel like you might be putting something into that song that isn't there.
    Thanks for the additional links/suggestions! On the religion thing, when I "discovered" Humbling River, I had the religious impression on the first listen before I saw the name of the album (sometimes it's nice to me to just lay down, relax, close my eyes and listen to what the radio list pumps out - related info doesn't get in to "taint" it).

I'll make sure to check out the vinyl version of Simultaneous this week. Thanks for the tip about the humor. I do have a tendency to get too serious about things, so I'll try to keep that in mind!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hi all, new to MJK (see my post above). So I was reading up about Tool and came across info on The Joyful Guide to Lachrymology, by Ronald Vincent, 1948, which was apparently a fake book that Tool pointed to as inspiration years ago. Pretty amusing, so I google it to read a little more. And, I find a book released on Amazon in June 2018 by that name, different author: https://www.amazon.com/Joyful-Guide-.../dp/1721848525 (for $19.95). I find his gofundme page, discussing his "religion", https://www.gofundme.com/lachrymology, and the website for his "church", of course taking donations, https://www.lachrymology.org/. The book is apparently accessible with Kindle Unlimited but I don't have that or I would take a peek. Sure, I've even joked before about creating a Church of NIN, but doesn't it seem a bit excessive of a fan to try to sell a book by that name and take donations for a "church" based on that Tool history (of course there may not have been any actual book sales or donations)?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Hi all, new to MJK (see my post above). So I was reading up about Tool and came across info on The Joyful Guide to Lachrymology, by Ronald Vincent, 1948, which was apparently a fake book that Tool pointed to as inspiration years ago. Pretty amusing, so I google it to read a little more. And, I find a book released on Amazon in June 2018 by that name, different author: https://www.amazon.com/Joyful-Guide-.../dp/1721848525 (for $19.95). I find his gofundme page, discussing his "religion", https://www.gofundme.com/lachrymology, and the website for his "church", of course taking donations, https://www.lachrymology.org/. The book is apparently accessible with Kindle Unlimited but I don't have that or I would take a peek. Sure, I've even joked before about creating a Church of NIN, but doesn't it seem a bit excessive of a fan to try to sell a book by that name and take donations for a "church" based on that Tool history (of course there may not have been any actual book sales or donations)?
    wow, that is a lot of hard work for someone... The Twitter account on follows 4 people.. and guess who they are?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    wow, that is a lot of hard work for someone... The Twitter account on follows 4 people.. and guess who they are?
    Five people liked it on FB, lol.
    https://www.facebook.com/ChurchOfLachrymology/
    https://twitter.com/LachrymologyREL

I wouldn't be bothered by it except for asking for money from people for this fake religion and well some people are easily susceptible (on the website he is selling 9 online courses that range from $200 up to $1800 each!).
    Last edited by sinspots; 08-14-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's all a joke. Back in the 90s after fans realized Maynard was bullshitting, everyone wanted in on the joke, so several people would claim that they read the book. When the internet became popular it grew even more, with people making fake entries in online libraries and bookstores (which were conveniently always out of stock) and adding fake reviews. Some claiming to have found a copy in an old second-hand book store or in an estate sale, but mysteriously losing the book due to circumstances etc.

In the current "meme age" of the internet, people are propagating the ruse in more elaborate ways. Like that website. You can't actually purchase those classes or donate anything. No matter what you select when filling out the order form it always says "Not available in your state."

You may be able to donate to that gofundme, but if you're donating money to random things on gofundme that's kind of on you. If the guy ever did get donations it'd probably go to paying the server fees for the joke site.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Like that website. You can't actually purchase those classes or donate anything. No matter what you select when filling out the order form it always says "Not available in your state."
    I'm able to put the Amazon book in my cart. If anyone here has Kindle Unlimited, I'd be curious to know what's in it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The first paragraph in the book is just a brief explanation of what the "Lachrymist religion" is, and the rest of the book is just nonsensical prose (69 pages of it *wink*) that could seem really deep and meaningful if one were so inclined to take the joke seriously. It's more or less just a conversation starter/prop for Tool/Maynard fans to have on the shelf like these are for Beetlejuice/Burton fans.

Here's an excerpt:

The Lachrymist drinks at a mountain's underground reservoir, freshly awoken. A birthing delivered safely though administered through the night before the running of a raging bull. The astronomer wisely foretold that the Aquarian revolution would envelop the wails of the villagers sprinkled in the fields. Chuckles of children in the alleys, by the drains of the buildings, infantile cares. Aging, Larchymology's progression. Nightly beautiful kisses, past the time of heartbreak, finally at peace.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I can't believe it's 2018 and we're still talking about "Lachrymology." I remember reading about this bullshit when I was in high school before Salival was released (sometime in 1999 or 2000).

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    How to copy Adam Jones's super bizarre warlock-like left-hand rhythm technique in "Jambi":

Try to ignore the fact that he kinda uses the term "downbeats" incorrectly (technically, those only occur on the first beat of each measure, not on all accented beats) and his time signature explanation is otherwise pretty solid — this must be a real pain in the ass to keep the rhythm consistent throughout while playing such an epic song... gotta practice it more!
    Last edited by botley; 08-20-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    How to copy Adam Jones's super bizarre warlock-like left-hand rhythm technique in "Jambi":

Try to ignore the fact that he kinda uses the term "downbeats" incorrectly (technically, those only occur on the first beat of each measure, not on all accented beats) and his time signature explanation is otherwise pretty solid — this must be a real pain in the ass to keep the rhythm consistent throughout while playing such an epic song... gotta practice it more!
    I think it's wrong though.

After watching countless amount of live videos, I'm pretty positive Jones doesn't drag his finger down like that. Not only is his finger cleary pulling off very perpendicularly, but you also hear a lot of accidental hammer ons in that guy's interpretation, so it almost sounds like a powerchord, while Jones sounds all open D. I'm fairly certain there's only one pull off in the sequence (sixth string), and the rest is picked, which gives it that very strong attack.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I can't believe it's 2018 and we're still talking about "Lachrymology." I remember reading about this bullshit when I was in high school before Salival was released (sometime in 1999 or 2000).
    I read the book in 94. It changed my life.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Rick Beato breaks down Parabol (including the synth-y introduction from the video) and Parabola. Includes some killer solo'd vocal and drum parts I'd never heard before!

Last edited by botley; 08-28-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    MJK just tweeted this:

Update- Scratch Vox tracked awhile ago. AJ deep in Guitars now. Final Vox after. Step back. Adjust. Mix. Adjust. Re-Adjust. Master. Adjust. Re-Adjust. Long Way 2 Go But Much Closer. #TOOL #2019

https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1039249151366639616