Page 109 of 263 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 159 209 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,270 of 7873

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    LITS and NINJA were 2008 and 2009, respectively.

I know it's sarcasm, but not sure why people keep calling it the 1OK Days tour. They play only 2-3 songs from it. Sometimes only one in Jambi.

FIGHT!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Fine, I updated it.

I know it's sarcasm, but not sure why people keep calling it the 1OK Days tour. They play only 2-3 songs from it. Sometimes only one in Jambi.
    It's so goddamn similar; I recognize that it evolves slightly every year. Add a screen, subtract a screen. Add a song, subtract a song.

oh wait, they have houselights on during intermission. Let's not forget that evolution.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 06-13-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post

As a serious fans of both bands, I am genuinely excited to see what NIN comes up with; with Tool I merely feel like I am scratching an itch. A nagging itch that must be scratched at least once every year.
    I can dig that, pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i know i'll get roasted for this but i find the songs off Lateralus to be hands down the least interesting live...and while it's an excellent record, i rank it at the bottom of their catalog.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Its weird, I have a hard time getting friends come with me to NIN, but a lot of people are willing to go see Tool.
    Bro, right here man!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Bro, right here man!
    I meant, you know, people in Milwaukee County!!! :P

My GF likes to see NIN shows, but she's another one that prefers Tool much more over them. She was more stoked last week than I was for the Chicago show, heh. It was a great time and show BTW. As redundant as they may be, it never gets old (if that makes any sense). Would love to go to The Gorge for their show but don't want to travel out there.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    interesting debate, I'd say NIN is a bigger kick in the balls than t00l at this point, it's quite a powerful show, t00l however is a bit more of a religious experience.
    Seeing as this is an entirely subjective topic, please don't read this as me saying "you're wrong". Rather, I'm entirely of the opposite opinion.

To me, Tool (and Tool specifically, not an MJK catch-all) is very impersonal. It feels like the singer is just going through the motions, despising his time on stage and possibly wishing he was somewhere else doing something he was more interested in.

With Nine Inch Nails, every show I've been to (spanning '05-'13) has felt like a much more personal experience. The singer doesn't feel distant. Every show I've been to has included a personal story about the city he's in, the song he's about to sing...SOMETHING that makes it feel like it's not just an act. And there's more a waver in his voice in some of the more emotional songs. When was the last time you heard Maynard sound like a Tool song was really hitting home when he sang it?

So in that regard, NIN is the far more "religious" experience for me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    When was the last time you heard Maynard sound like a Tool song was really hitting home when he sang it?
    intolerance 2010.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I think armogi meant the production experience of it, which I think is accurate with both NIN and Tool. The eye candy and musicianship is great, enough to not really care about what a band member may or may not be doing on stage.

I rarely look at whos doing what during a Tool show. If anyone it's usually Danny during a solo or the faster tempo from Schism and 46&2.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I rarely look at whos doing what during a Tool show.
    it's easy, look stage right. look stage left during jambi. then go back to stage right.

The eye candy and musicianship is great, enough to not really care about what a band member may or may not be doing on stage.
    I agree, which is why I believe the MN reviewer nails it for anyone not drinking the Tool-aid. The music is just so damn good.

a show that resembles a conventional art-house film set to the music of Tool, and the musicians are like actors in a carefully choreographed song-and-dance routine
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 06-13-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I meant, you know, people in Milwaukee County!!! :P

My GF likes to see NIN shows, but she's another one that prefers Tool much more over them. She was more stoked last week than I was for the Chicago show, heh. It was a great time and show BTW. As redundant as they may be, it never gets old (if that makes any sense). Would love to go to The Gorge for their show but don't want to travel out there.
    Make an honest woman of her and get married you old bastard.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    btw, the "...and, of course, those two tiny people out there were yours, too." little story from Disgustipated would be an awesome way to open a Tool show. Maybe build it up or remix it slightly or something. It's so basic yet so profound and unsettling.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    btw, the "...and, of course, those two tiny people out there were yours, too." little story from Disgustipated would be an awesome way to open a Tool show. Maybe build it up or remix it slightly or something. It's so basic yet so profound and unsettling.
    I initially thought you meant a Tool TV show and immediately thought of a Twin Peaks-style bizarre murder mystery, and the answering machine message left on the detective's home phone perfectly describing what happened... someone call Lynch

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Piss COMING FROM THE ASSSS

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Saw the show in Vancouver tonight. Overall, I thought it was pretty good. More memorable than the last 2 shows I saw (2007, 2010). I tried to avoid the setlist as much as I could, but I was subscribed to a YouTube channel that posted a video of "Eulogy" a couple week ago, and I was upset that I saw that in my news feed,'cause it was the one song that I would have wanted to be a surprise. As my show went on, and it got closer an closer to the end I thought "Where is Eulogy??" That's the only thought I had for the majority of the show. It's the only song I reeeeaalllllllly want to hear. To my surprised, it was played at all.... so I went and peeked at setlist.fm after to see what shows got it. I was surprised they only played it at the one show and the shelved it for the rest of the tour. Why rehearse a song if you're only going to play it once?

Least my show got "The Pot"
    Out of the 4 shows I've been to, I have surprisingly never seen that song preformed live before. I always thought that was a staple song, but I guess not. Seems like that's the new "rare" song of the tour. Looks like it's either that or Vicarious at this point, and I would much rather hear the pot.

In conclusion, if I had traveled for this show, I probably would had been disappointed, but just having to go downtown and be able to come home to sleep in my own bed after the show, it was worth attending. I had fun. With that said, I probably won't see these guys again until they release new music, but I doubt they'll be coming around again anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I think the getting kicked out for taking photos thing is kinda fuckin' stupid but I get the "Put your phones away" mindset and I really like it.
    Yeah, it was pretty epic to look into the crowd and not see a sea of cell phone screens hanging in the air. Made me feel like I went back to 2002, it was pretty awesome!
    More shows should enforce this, not just Maynard shows lol.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-16-2017 at 04:31 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I was surprised they only played it at the one show and the shelved it for the rest of the tour. Why rehearse a song if you're only going to play it once?

Least my show got "The Pot"
    Because Maynard is a fuckshit who needs someone to jizz on his bald head.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I thought "Where is Eulogy??" That's the only thought I had for the majority of the show. It's the only song I reeeeaalllllllly want to hear. To my surprised, it was played at all.... so I went and peeked at setlist.fm after to see what shows got it. I was surprised they only played it at the one show and the shelved it for the rest of the tour. Why rehearse a song if you're only going to play it once?
    Because it was for Chris Cornell.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    It was played a few times.

Doubt it was for Chris Cornell, unless there's something I missed they never gave a shout out to him before it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Because it was for Chris Cornell.
    No way it was for Cornell.
    Have you listened to the lyrics?

It's the biggest "fuck you" song out there.

And Cornell died on the 18th, their first show was on the 24th in Fairfax, and it was not played. if it were a tribute, they would have played it that night instead.
    100% was not for Cornell. Besides, I think someone on here (?) wrote they heard it at a soundcheck at another show after. So they're still practicing it.
    Maybe they didn't like they way it turned out that night?

I bet it'll be back for the show in San Bernardino.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    If it never reappears on this tour, I think it's extremely reasonable to think it was.

As for why not the 24th – dunno. Maybe they hadn't thought of it.

And, of course, maybe it's totally unrelated. Certainly a kinder thought than a fuck-Jesus-or-whoever anti-eulogy.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    They would have had to rehearsed it and add the lighting/video for it in a very short time span. When Jeff Hanneman of Slayer passed Maynard also said "This ones for Jeff..." (or something to that effect) before playing whatever song it was played.

I very highly doubt it was a tribute to Cornell.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    So, I've seen 4 shows now in total throughout the years, and I decided to tally up the songs I heard live. The results are surprising. I've seen more of a variety live than I thought.

stinkfist X4
    schism X4
    aenema X3
    46&2 X3
    Jambi X2
    Lateralus X2
    The grudge X2
    Vicarious X2
    Third Eye X2
    parabol X2
    parabola X2
    H
    Sober
    disposition
    reflection
    triad
    Opiate
    Descending
    The Pot
    Sweat
    Eon Blue Apocalypse
    The Patient
    Intolerance
    Rosetta Stoned
    Flood
    Wings for Marie (pt 1)
    10,000 Days

So, I saw 27 different songs out of 4 shows (2002, 2007, 2010, 2017) and I have only seen 11 repeats. Only 2 of which, we're at every single show.
    Honestly, those aren't bad statistics. 4 of which I got at the new show from the other night that I never heard live before.

I think they change up their set more than we're willing to admit. It just seems like they don't because they have a very small pool of songs to choose from. (It's not like they have 10 records under their belt)
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-18-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I've seen them 9 times with 30 unique songs. Only 2 songs at every show. The show this year I got 4 songs I've never seen before.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Yeah they don't have a lot of material to choose from, which is why they decided to not play any Undertow tracks this time around.

surely they could play Merkaba or D/R/T if someone in the band needed a break.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Yeah they don't have a lot of material to choose from, which is why they decided to not play any Undertow tracks this time around.
    that's been the mantra for ohhh, i don't know....10 years (aside form the very rare exception)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well that was a fun tour. 3 shows, 3 cities, 1k miles. Lots of needless money and brain cells wasted but good times.

next time just 1 VIP trip instead of 3 peasant trips.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Who went to last night's show?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Who went to last night's show?
    Me.

I had a good time and was fine with the same setlist. With all the hype for the show, I kept expectations really low cause this is Tool.
    Having a longer set was pretty cool, I hope they do more of that in the future. As for the venue, I hate this place but I will say I was one of the lucky ones that got out within an hour after the show ended.

Oh yeah kudos to Maynard, his voice sounded great tonight. I don't know how he does it especially between the APC and this tour. Say what you will, he still got it.

Random tidbits:
    -Lot's of hot chicks.
    -Crystal Method was blah.
    -Clutch isn't for everyone (me included).
    -Did I mention it's a shit venue?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Eulogy is about L. Ron Hubbard. There's no way in hell that the song was played for Chris Cornell.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    Eulogy is about L. Ron Hubbard. There's no way in hell that the song was played for Chris Cornell.
    It is? I didn't know it was that specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk