Page 102 of 263 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 7887

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    what's I think that's 50bucks a song?
    -Louie
    Drunk post, I hope!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    as much as I shit on Tool on this board, I do love the music. Thats why i get frustrated. Anyway, I never understand why Right in Two doesn't get love. Danny destroys on this song (5:44 on):

TIIIMMAAAAAYY

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Maybe for me the disconnect from Lateralus is a personal bias that goes back to around the Lateralus era and an interview where Maynard took a little dig at NIN and The Fragile while self inflating his own importance as some kind of vanguard of the scene [...] That remark was bullshit from him. If he took the best tracks from Lateralus and 10,000 Days and put them together as an album it still wouldn’t equal the epic The Fragile was. But that was years ago and should probably just be forgotten by now.
    The context of the question was whether the other members of Tool had been paranoid he would break up the band, not whether they were top of the heap. Although phrased in a somewhat dismissive manner, he was pretty spot-on in pointing out that loud rock music had basically spent itself as a primary cultural force by the late 90s. The other big successful bands of that vintage and type that he lists there were just at a low point of influence on the cultural dialogue circa 2001. That's nothing to do with the quality of The Fragile (which I agree with you is better than any of Tool's later albums), in fact Reznor stated at the time of its release that people wanted him to 'save Rock' with it and he had no interest in such a thing. Maynard also read the writing on the wall and diversified his output to better cope with the shifting industry, which he continues to do now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The context of the question was whether the other members of Tool had been paranoid he would break up the band, not whether they were top of the heap. Although phrased in a somewhat dismissive manner, he was pretty spot-on in pointing out that loud rock music had basically spent itself as a primary cultural force by the late 90s. The other big successful bands of that vintage and type that he lists there were just at a low point of influence on the cultural dialogue circa 2001. That's nothing to do with the quality of The Fragile (which I agree with you is better than any of Tool's later albums), in fact Reznor stated at the time of its release that people wanted him to 'save Rock' with it and he had no interest in such a thing. Maynard also read the writing on the wall and diversified his output to better cope with the shifting industry, which he continues to do now.
    Maynard has gained a reputation as a really successful marketer and catching trends and manipulating them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gerbil; 03-25-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Maynard also read the writing on the wall and diversified his output to better cope with the shifting industry, which he continues to do now.
    If he puts out a song full of "hey hos" and fake clapping sounds, I'm done.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    That scream at the end though.... my god! Still sends tingles down my fun bone.
    oh don't get me wrong. I actually LIKE 10,000 Days, all of it. I was just whining about how I preferred their other albums even though I said the music to wings for Marie annoys me, I'm forever showing it to the non-initiated

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    If he puts out a song full of "hey hos" and fake clapping sounds, I'm done.
    There are already clapping sounds on Tool songs

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I can't watch that interview right now, but I'm certain I've seen a Tool interview where Maynard said "We think the new NIN album (TF) is great, even better than the last one (TDS.)"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Yeah, I may have been reading a bit much between the lines, but at the time it sort of rubbed me wrong that instead of just sticking to answering a question about the band status of Tool Maynard took the opportunity to lump nin in with a number of bands that were at the time essentially defunct, and this just a few years off from nin creating what many still consider their magnum opus (regardless of industry sales expectations). To me it felt like kind of a dick move. Even his tone towards his fellow band mates in Tool being paranoid about his possibly not returning just struck me as self masturbatory. But it was all a long time ago, and maybe nothing more than a misunderstanding of intent on my part. In any event I’d still like to hear some new Tool.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Yeah, I may have been reading a bit much between the lines, but at the time it sort of rubbed me wrong that instead of just sticking to answering a question about the band status of Tool Maynard took the opportunity to lump nin in with a number of bands that were at the time essentially defunct, and this just a few years off from nin creating what many still consider their magnum opus (regardless of industry sales expectations). To me it felt like kind of a dick move. Even his tone towards his fellow band mates in Tool being paranoid about his possibly not returning just struck me as self masturbatory. But it was all a long time ago, and maybe nothing more than a misunderstanding of intent on my part. In any event I’d still like to hear some new Tool.
    I thought everyone was sort of open about the. And possibly breaking up around then? Especially after A Perfect Circle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Absolutely, I'm sure it will be a great show. I wouldn't go buying a VIP ticket but if you can get a ticket close enough to face, it's a no brainer: see tool if you havent. I saw them only once a few days before 9/11 and it was mind blowing. A band at its peak in my opinion. But i wish I would've seen a mid to late 90s show.
    I saw them once in '97 (@ Lolla in support of Aenima, which was amazing) and once for Lateralus, the week 9/11 happened.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Regarding In Two, for me it's that it sounds unfinished or incomplete. Specifically, the whole transition after the first build up into the tabla part into the final build up. It sounds like it wasn't fully fleshed out and a little forced to me. But fuck the choruses are some of the best parts of that whole album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm apparently in the minority of Tool fans, but Opiate/Undertow has not aged well AT ALL for me. Alternative rock with angry lyrics hasn't been my cup of tea for a long, long time. I don't do it that often anymore, but I can still go back and listen to Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days and really dig the more progressive, stretched out side of Tool. 10,000 Days is so so so underrated imo. I honestly think it's as good as the previous two albums.

But I don't listen to Tool much anymore. Something weird happened since Tool last put out an album and I think it's that I grew up. When/if they put out a new album I will surely listen to the **** out of it for nostalgia's sake, but until then I can't be bothered much about what they are or aren't doing. I got lots of other important things happening in my life. I've discovered a fair amount of music that I like just as well or better than I liked Tool in my younger days. And if a new Tool album comes into my life somewhere down the road, awesome, but it's not something I really spend any time thinking about.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    I'm apparently in the minority of Tool fans, but Opiate/Undertow has not aged well AT ALL for me. Alternative rock with angry lyrics hasn't been my cup of tea for a long, long time. I don't do it that often anymore, but I can still go back and listen to Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days and really dig the more progressive, stretched out side of Tool. 10,000 Days is so so so underrated imo. I honestly think it's as good as the previous two albums.
    Nah, I think more fans feel that way rather than the other way around. It's still good and all, but it is early 90's alt metal at its core. Had they kept doing that rather than going with the experimental/"progressive" stuff starting with Aenima I don't think they would've achieved the success they've had. Definitely not selling out arenas anyway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Opiate/undertow gets waaaay more play time in my world over 10k. Unless I'm in the right mood I usually skip 10kd songs when they come on. But flood...fuck I'll listen to the whole repetitive intro for the meat of it everytime. Opiate sound wise sounds old and disjointed but undertow has a really good sound to it still. The drums are right up front and very tight.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I don't get why people continue to bash 10KD non stop for 10 years just because it didn't have as big change in sound as from Undertow to Aenima or from Aenima to Lateralus and have a slightly less number of songs. It's probably their most aggressive album since Undertow.
    Vicarious, The Pot, Jambi and Rosetta Stoned (yes, fucking Rosetta Stoned) are all masterpieces. Wings, Intention and Right in Two are up there as well but require a certain mood to be digested properly.

This album needs some love!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Speaking of 10,000 Days:
    On May 5, 2006, the band's official webmaster hinted that "the four individual photos [of the band members] can be used as the pieces of a kind of puzzle", but the puzzle and its meaning "will just be another nut to crack".[8]
    Was this solved?

I don't even remember how I first heard about this track, but it's awesome that it exists.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    am I missing something? It sounds like two different tracks playing at the same time?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Well...that's what it is, actually. Someone found out that 10,000 Days is the exact same length as the two songs Viginti Tres and Wings for Marie. So they put the three together and voila, you get one song that is mashed together.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    No, you get three songs mashed together. Engineer Bob Ludwig stated that "Viginti Tres" was created in the mastering studio but there's never been any indication I'm aware of that it was meant to go 'over top' of anything else.
    Last edited by botley; 03-29-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Speaking of 10,000 Days:Was this solved?

I don't even remember how I first heard about this track, but it's awesome that it exists.
    if I recall correctly itwas blair hyping the album
    -Louie

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    No, you get three songs mashed together.
    You see, folks? This is what happens when your favorite band takes 12 years between studio albums: you begin to jones so hard for new material, you start creating your own. It's like a weird case of Stockholm syndrome..

Next up: Hooker With a Stinkfist, Jimmy Jerk(s) Off Maynard's Dick, and Eulogy for The Patient Part of Me

I imagine that last mash-up would speak to plenty of Tool fans, at this point.

This reminds of the wilderness years leading up to With Teeth, when we would play "find the log house" every time a new studio photo was posted..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is a dumb question but in Jambi the line, "The devil and his had me down" is only in one channel. On NIN's "Year Zero," if you combine the audio channels on one of the songs it cancels out and you hear a voice speaking.

Has anyone tried this with Jambi?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    This is a dumb question but in Jambi the line, "The devil and his had me down" is only in one channel. On NIN's "Year Zero," if you combine the audio channels on one of the songs it cancels out and you hear a voice speaking.
    I am not sure I understand... If you take two identical audio signals, sync them perfectly in phase, and then flip the phase on one, it will go null (cancel out). On Year Zero, which song is this? I'm curious...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Soooooooo... that would mean one channel is not identical. Yeah, where did you hear this from and what song(s)?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    It's The Great Destroyer around 2:20

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    lol I know because I did it. I heard the distortion and merged the tracks then saw other people post about it when the album came out. It says "red horse vector" part of the ARG.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'd do it with Jambi but I don't have the tools at the moment. I wondered if anyone had already done the legwork.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    It's The Great Destroyer around 2:20
    Well, I just flipped the phase on one of the channels in my DAW... I didn't hear anything...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

You have to convert it to mono so the wavelengths cancel out.

Edit: you can't just combine the channels. They have to actually mix together into a mono signal. That's the only way I've ever been able to hear it.