Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    I'm also peeved that 1/3 of the album has already been released, and that 1/3 wasn't anything amazing.
    That's hardly something to be peeved about - it's personal taste that you don't like it, not an aggravating thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    That's hardly something to be peeved about - it's personal taste that you don't like it, not an aggravating thing.
    I can't openly comment about something that myself, and others, find annoying? I think you misunderstand the point of message boards. If you don't like my opinion then give some semblance of a constructive reason why you disagree with me, or don't comment at all. But don't question the merit of my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, I think it's fair enough to be a bit pissed about having to buy 1/3 of an album again when there was no indication that the EP was to be part of it.

If the same person doesn't like the EP, it just makes things worse, it doesn't make the above not exist.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    No, I think it's fair enough to be a bit pissed about having to buy 1/3 of an album again when there was no indication that the EP was to be part of it.

If the same person doesn't like the EP, it just makes things worse, it doesn't make the above not exist.
    What are you talking about, "no indication"? Trent said in the announcement of the EP that it would "contain tracks from the full-length due next year." He didn't hide a single thing about that. Told us straight-out that there would be an overlap.

The EP, as I see it, was intended as a glorified promo release, to promote the upcoming full-length. Of course there's gonna be overlap, it's basically a big single. The two "exclusive" tracks were probably just rejected from Welcome Oblivion.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    The EP, as I see it, was intended as a glorified promo release, to promote the upcoming full-length. Of course there's gonna be overlap, it's basically a big single. The two "exclusive" tracks were probably just rejected from Welcome Oblivion.
    For me, that makes me even more worried. If the EP is suppose to be the big draw to make you look forward to the album by including 4 tracks from the album itself, you would think that those 4 tracks would be the best tracks that represent the album and showcase the best work up front to suck people in. The EP did the opposite for me, I found myself not looking forward as much to the album. Like everyone else, I hope the album blows me away. But at the moment, if this EP is suppose to draw us in and showcase some of the best stuff off the album... it's didn't really have much range... which is what makes me worried.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What are you talking about, "no indication"? Trent said in the announcement of the EP that it would "contain tracks from the full-length due next year." He didn't hide a single thing about that. Told us straight-out that there would be an overlap.

This is definitely how I see it, with all big releases today we usually hear somewhere between 3 to 4 tracks before the release anyway. It's just that they are released more sporadically, An Omen is essentially reducing that process to a tangible singular product, and adding a few b-sides for good measure. Personally, I was a big fan of Ice Age, On The Wing and Loop Closes so I remain excited for Welcome Oblivion.

On a side note, since this is a major label release now, isnt it going to leak ahead of time?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    For me, that makes me even more worried. If the EP is suppose to be the big draw to make you look forward to the album by including 4 tracks from the album itself, you would think that those 4 tracks would be the best tracks that represent the album and showcase the best work up front to suck people in. The EP did the opposite for me, I found myself not looking forward as much to the album. Like everyone else, I hope the album blows me away. But at the moment, if this EP is suppose to draw us in and showcase some of the best stuff off the album... it's didn't really have much range... which is what makes me worried.
    Perhaps consider it in this way: HTDA likely didn't want to blow the best tracks from the full-length for the EP, because then they'd really be disappointing us. So they took a couple that were pretty good, and a couple others that, in the context of the album, probably aren't very good, and then had two other non-album tracks and slapped them together into An omen. As such, there will be even better songs on the full-length. Hopefully.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything like that - if the EP wasn't to your tastes there's nothing wrong with that, of course - but I'm merely saying that perhaps we haven't heard "the best" yet.

At least, I certainly hope we haven't. I want to be blown away by this album just like everyone else.
    @Collin : An omen didn't leak, but that was probably because it wasn't pressed on CD. Considering the circumstances, it probably will leak a couple weeks ahead of release, and then HTDA will put it up for streaming somewhere.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Remember the fucken NAME OF THE EP

An OMEN.

Does that maybe mean something else to you? Like say, a warning? A clue? A look at something to come?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post

An OMEN.

Does that maybe mean something else to you? Like say, a warning? A clue? A look at something to come?
    An Omen to Oblivion?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ---imaginary conversation---
    Rob: Hey Atticus what's holding us from releasing our muzak?
    Atticus: Hey Trent, has she thought of a title to the record yet?
    Trent: Hey Ma'queen, boys would like to know if you, like, have a title in mind, perhaps?
    Mariqueen: Oh, men! Why do you have to be so impatient? You won't believe what shoes i've just seen in <insert fashion shop here>!
    Trent: Guys, she said "omen", i have no idea what's that supposed to mean, but it sorta sounds better than "Infidel Hearts", right?
    Atticus, Rob: Yeah, great, now send those files to Columbia FTP!
    ---end of imaginary conversation---

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    What the hell was that?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post

An OMEN.

"Omen" and "Oblivion" begin and end with same letters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You're right, I forgot about that. It took some hunting to find (first press release about it, back in sept) and wasn't mentioned since, which is why it slipped my mind.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I'll definitely download the album before buying it. Not sold on the first two EPs. I always wished this project would have been more trip-hop (Massive Attack, Portishead) but it's clear now that it's not the direction they are taking. I'll stick to NIN.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'm excited for the LP. I believe this is the longest that TR has spent on a single recording project since The Fragile, and I for one feel that this care and attention will prove itself evident in the final product.

EPs for most bands are either teasers or cul-de-sacs, and we have had one of each. It is time for the real deal.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    8 new extra tracks, extra 40 minutes of music...
    Don't expect too much.
    The concept has been made with the EP.
    I'm afraid you're putting the bar too high.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited too
    Creating such an expectation results always in a disappointment.
    Last edited by witte; 01-13-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I have no expectation beyond "the tracks that are also on the EP will be much the same as they are on the EP". Not saying this will be anything like The Fragile, just that this album will surely mark a break from the spontaneity and immediacy that TR has privilieged in almost all of his output since that record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A year ago I wouldn't have been too excited about this, but I was so surprised by how much I like An Omen_ that I'm starting to feel some high hopes brewing. I think it's safe to say that HTDA have grown into their sound since the first EP, I'm really hoping the full-length reaches their potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, let's stand in judgement on an album that has not been released which was written and produced by a proven musician whom we all claim to be fans of. Better yet, lets take those baseless gripes and waste time arguing about the manner in which said album will suck on a discussion board of an alleged "fan" site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    A year ago I wouldn't have been too excited about this, but I was so surprised by how much I like An Omen_ that I'm starting to feel some high hopes brewing. I think it's safe to say that HTDA have grown into their sound since the first EP, I'm really hoping the full-length reaches their potential.
    I pretty much feel the same way. I mean, I'd still be excited since I liked the 1st EP, but I think An Omen is better. I just hope the album has something as gloriously doom-and-gloomy creepy as 'Speaking in Tongues' on it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrannus View Post
    Yes, let's stand in judgement on an album that has not been released which was written and produced by a proven musician whom we all claim to be fans of. Better yet, lets take those baseless gripes and waste time arguing about the manner in which said album will suck on a discussion board of an alleged "fan" site.
    Where's the point here? This comes back to other people attempting to stifle any sort of criticism of the album, which is silly. Sure it hasn't come out yet, but we already have an idea (not a concrete one, but a general one) of what the album's going to sound like. There's no need to get all whiny and sarcastic because people are criticizing the album.

Plus, this is a discussion board, a NIN-centric one at that. You're going to see people displeased with Trent and co.'s output.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    "people criticising the album" before they've heard it a perfectly reasonable thing to get whiny about because it is stupid. On March 5th, feel free to list the four million ways it's the worst thing since Spanish Flu, but until we actually hear it, you don't even know if we're getting the same mixes from the EP (here's a clue: we're not, the track lengths are all different).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    most people aren't necessarily criticizing the album... even i said, i hope i'm proved wrong and it blows me away
    it's more negativity against the EP rather than the album... with people hoping the album is at least a better and/or more diverse showing compared to the EP
    i don't think anyone here is actually hoping for a shitty album... more just voicing concern with the lack of depth from the EP release
    and for the most part, the people who are discussing the album are sharing what they hope will be delivered on the full length and not just saying "oh this blows"
    it's a discussion board, this is what happens on discussion boards... ESPECIALLY the discussion board of your favorite artist

fo·rum
    fo·rum (fôrm, fr-)n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr, fr)

a.
    The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
    b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
    c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

3. A court of law; a tribunal.
    Last edited by neorev; 01-16-2013 at 02:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "people criticising the album" before they've heard it a perfectly reasonable thing to get whiny about because it is stupid. On March 5th, feel free to list the four million ways it's the worst thing since Spanish Flu, but until we actually hear it, you don't even know if we're getting the same mixes from the EP (here's a clue: we're not, the track lengths are all different).
    Well, the track lengths for the omen songs on the album are only a couple seconds different which probably means they only adjusted the transitions to fit the altered track list. They are probably the same mixes. I'm looking forward to this though, it should be fun.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    fo·rum
    fo·rum (fôrm, fr-)n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr, fr)

a.
    The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
    b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
    c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

3. A court of law; a tribunal.
    Forum - etymology:
    From the Latin word for "ditch" (as in a low point in the ground). The location of the original Forum in Rome was in the middle of a ditch where cows liked to graze.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Last edited by somewhat_; 01-16-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Can't wait for those website pre-orders. Will we get another promo vinyl this time or no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    an omen is another promo vinyl

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I doubt it, that was a one-time thing, considering the extra shipping cost and spoilt surprise etc