Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The structure is great - heavy-hitters first, moving to airy pop, closing out with ambient moodscapes. HTDA have found their focus, and it's (not surprisingly, given half the band's latest film score output) more about creating worlds than songs. They do ambient much better than Reznor does by himself - I'd definitely pick any of the last three tracks over, say, Corona Radiata. I feel like the wait was definitely worth it now and I'm really glad to see the band's original promise being fulfilled here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hallowed Ground - really has a Social Network vibe to it I think. Really liking nearly all of the album now, apart from Strings and Attractors, which oddly I was most drawn too based on title, but does nothing for me. Very pleased that my previous apathy, having heard Omen EP + How Long, has dissipated. Title track is one of my favourite Reznor songs since The Slip (only bettered by In Motion and Revealed in the Thaw imo).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    if it's lossy transcode, why bother? i find it hard to believe you have nothing else to listen until release day... keep it fresh ppl, or you might end up like that guy
    It's not lossy transcode, it is the 256 AAC from iTunes. Apple must already have the files ready and waiting. 2 others on the board have confirmed it worked for them as well. So it's lossy from the standpoint it is 256, but it isn't 128 transcoded to 256.

I tried the same thing with Amok by Atoms For Peace to no avail.
    Last edited by ecirb; 02-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    People really can't wait 13 days for regular quality tracks?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just curious,

What are your opinions of where "Sleep of Reason..." & "Speaking in Tongues" would fit into the track listing?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecirb View Post
    So, sorry if I am late on this, but if you have itunes match, you can get the 256 AAC version by adding the mp3s, add to iCloud, then delete the songs from your library. You will then be able to download the 256 files off iCloud.
    the fuck? This was the first thing I tried when I got a copy of the stream rip (like an hour after pitchfork went live). It didn't work. I must have used a different set of rips than you.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Holy shit, I think it was because my tags were wrong! Looks like it really did work for all but 2 tracks.
    thaaaaats going to be a problem for Apple

edit: these are definitely the 256 AAC.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 02-21-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: I'm already regretting putting that much info up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    the fuck? This was the first thing I tried when I got a copy of the stream rip (like an hour after pitchfork went live). It didn't work. I must have used a different set of rips than you.
    I was thinking that maybe the tracks must be exactly same length than the ones in iTunes?

e: ah,never mind then if you found the solution!

ee: By the way, it would be interesting if someone tried to create a blank mp3 file/files with the right length and then add the correct tags and then try to get the stuff out from iTunes Match if that would work then.... Or does it do some sort of comparsion with the content of the file?
    Last edited by konkelo; 02-21-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So there is a copy without the skip in Too late, all gone and it's 256 AAC or even a legit 320? Anyone willing to send me a PM, please? As of now, I only have the direct rip from Pitchfork.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konkelo View Post
    I was thinking that maybe the tracks must be exactly same length than the ones in iTunes?

e: ah,never mind then if you found the solution!

ee: By the way, it would be interesting if someone tried to create a blank mp3 file/files with the right length and then add the correct tags and then try to get the stuff out from iTunes Match if that would work then.... Or does it do some sort of comparsion with the content of the file?
    I was wrong, it wasn't my tags. It was the fact that I had the ones with the additional 4sec "skips" at the front. It looks like iTunes Match works purely on acoustic finger printing (wave form signature).

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unheard78 View Post
    So there is a copy without the skip in Too late, all gone and it's 256 AAC or even a legit 320? Anyone willing to send me a PM, please? As of now, I only have the direct rip from Pitchfork.
    All the 256AAC copies from iTunes injects my personal info into the files. I have no idea how to strip that out. I am more interested in the technical hole though. I wouldn't feel right about exposing all this music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Honestly, no! The stream felt like a tease!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was wrong, it wasn't my tags. It was the fact that I had the ones with the additional 4sec "skips" at the front. It looks like iTunes Match works purely on acoustic finger printing (wave form signature).
    Ah I see. That makes more sense then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All the 256AAC copies from iTunes injects my personal info into the files. I have no idea how to strip that out. I am more interested in the technical hole though. I wouldn't feel right about exposing all this music.
    There is software that will allow you to remove your personal data, though I believe it works on macs only. Nonetheless, it can be done and I can help you if you'd like.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

There is software that will allow you to remove your personal data, though I believe it works on macs only. Nonetheless, it can be done and I can help you if you'd like.
    Oh for fuck's sake people! Consider this your one and only warning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Oh for fuck's sake people! Consider this your one and only warning.
    Taken and noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Could anyone PM me a link to a skipless version of the album? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I was trying to very passively say "let's not liberate this to the internet"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm digging this stream, wow, didn't expect it to be this good!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I think you're forgetting that we're on a NIN board.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Looks like Rob and crew are aware of the issue and are working on it. If my Match/iCloud account gets banned I am going to be pissed!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Having listened to it all the way through for the first time (and after multiple listens of the new songs), here's my two cents: Niiiiice! I enjoy all of the tracks, for different reasons each: Some for the atmosphere, some for the aggressiveness, some for the calm melody and some simply because they are fun. The only track that doesn't really do it for me is Recursive Self-Imrovement. Really pleased with the result and it's probably an album I'll be returning to quite often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really love the album myself, listened to the stream 5-6 times. I also can't feel "Recursive self-improvement", it's way too long and boring, it could have been done in 3-4 minutes. 7 minutes of minimal repeating beats is too much for me
    Other than that, the album is truly awesome! One of the best things I have heard this year! Definitely buying the CD, I have no use for vinyl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I find this album to be proof of the importance of sequencing. Suddenly I love all the songs of an EP that I couldn't get into before. Isn't that strange?

I've gotta say, I'm so impressed by this album that my obssession with the potential new NIN tour has been cured. At this point I'd almost rather see HTDA live, see where they take this from here. It took two EPs to really nail it down, but they got there. This could be my favorite album in quite some time. Damn impressive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like Rob and crew are aware of the issue and are working on it. If my Match/iCloud account gets banned I am going to be pissed!
    I don't see how it could, it's not your fault they added it early. iTunes has done things like this before anyways.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    I find this album to be proof of the importance of sequencing. Suddenly I love all the songs of an EP that I couldn't get into before. Isn't that strange?
    This could be my favorite album in quite some time. Damn impressive!
    Same here, on both counts. Ice Age in particular disappointed on An Omen, because its sparse, repetitive sound dominated a large chunk of the EP. On the LP though, it's a link in the chain, and works perfectly in that regard. Generally, while I didn't think much of An Omen at all, I'm absolutely loving Welcome Oblivion. Would have a hard time picking out particular favourite tracks, but they all work together to make an unusual kind of magic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't know if I've just got a bad rip or it's how the song is meant to be, but Hallowed Grounds single repetitive bass note is far too loud...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    And the sky began to scream
    Too late, all gone

These are my two favorite songs, currently.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I'm really fucking bored right now. So, I'm staring at spectrographs of the 256AAC encodes.

The loop closes - I am completely unable to hear the 18kHz line that grows through the end.

Too late, all gone - What's up with the 16kHz shelf?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I haven't had any problems with the pitchfork stream, and I've been listening for days. Maybe I screwed it up for everyone else. If so, suck it! Muaaahaha! Er... I mean, I came in here to say that after dozens of plays I'm still digging this album. The only track that doesn't do much for me is Keep It Together.

The unexpected funk of the opening track is really awesome, but I kind of wish they had given it the full Slipping Away treatment (i.e. strong vocal hooks, choruses, etc). Someone else mentioned this, but I'm also a little surprised no one else is going on about Welcome Oblivion. Mariqueen shouting is fucking awesome. I love the 180 she does in going from that to the sweet but still accusatory, "You know what you have done."

Also, does anyone else enjoy hearing the drum rolls in Too Late, All Gone? It's not like they're anything insane, it's just that Trent has so few drum rolls in anything, even when Freese and Grohl are behind the kit.
    Last edited by Magtig; 02-22-2013 at 01:35 PM.