Page 72 of 108 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 3227

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    If I had to rank the 4 shows I've seen, it'd be:

1. 2003 Thirteenth Step tour
    2. 2017 fall tour
    3. 2000 Fragility 2.0 tour (mostly because it they were the opening band and I was only familiar with Judith at the time)
    4. 2011 summer tour

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I know very little about A Perfect Circle can you guys name the members for me from left to right from this picture because I was having no luck online trying to figure out who is who.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Matt McJunkins (Bass), James Iha (Guitar), Billy Howerdel (Guitar), Maynard James Keenan (Vocals), Jeff Friedl (Drums)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^^^^^ Thank you, Maynard James Keenan was the only one I recognized, any suggestions on which album to get first or should I just get the new one.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    ^^^^^ Thank you, Maynard James Keenan was the only one I recognized, any suggestions on which album to get first or should I just get the new one.
    Stylistically, Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step are very different. The latter is much moodier and textured. The former is very emotional and soaring. I recommend MDN and then Thirteenth Step. (TS is my favorite, though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you I just listened to "The Doomed" from the new album online it was cool I would need to listen to it a lot more to have real opinion on it. I can't listen to anything once and be able to form an opinion on it. I will take your advice and get Mer de Noms. I guess it was Trent Reznor that said if listens to something and doesn't like it he finds out later that it grows on him and then begins to really like it. I do that with Radiohead all the time usually I don't like their stuff at first and then later on I get addicted to it.
    I was always into Tool but I never jumped over to A Perfect Circle but now I feel I should pay attention to this. I want to like it but I really just don't know enough about it yet.
    Last edited by Sister Midnight; 02-12-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Thank you I just listened to "The Doomed" from the new album online it was cool I would need to listen to it a lot more to have real opinion on it. I can't listen to anything once and be able to form an opinion on it. I will take your advice and get Mer de Noms. I guess it was Trent Reznor that said if listens to something and doesn't like it he finds out later that it grows on him and then begins to really like it. I do that with Radiohead all the time usually I don't like their stuff at first and then later on I get addicted to it.
    I was always into Tool but I never jumped over to A Perfect Circle but now I feel I should pay attention to this. I want to like it but I really just don't know enough about it yet.
    Tool got me into APC back when I was about 16, and I never looked back. It was much more emotional and touching to me. The first track on Mer de Noms sucks you right in, and I find the first album to be more engrossing when you listen from front to back. Give it some time, you will not regret it. Going in order as far as albums is the way to go.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I downloaded Mer de Noms and I am going to listen to it in the car back and forth to work for the next week give a good week and a half to absorb it. It's funny, because I have the same feeling with this as I did when I binged watched Game Of Thrones I really want to get to the seventh season but it only makes sense to start from the beginning. I really want to check out the new album.
    In some ways with a A Perfect Circle I feel kind of like the bit that Marc Maron does about jam bands (not that I am saying APC is a jam band) but in his bit he says people are telling him how come you don't listen to Phish? and he says "I just don't have the time, I have half The Grateful Dead catalog a few Allman Brothers albums, I don't have the time for another jam band".
    I would get this question about APC a lot people would say "Why don't you listen to APC? You like Tool and NIN I don't understand why you don't listen to APC".

I hope I am not opening a can of worms because I have not read back pages on the Tool and APC threads but why is APC available on iTunes and Tool is not?

Anyways thank you to everybody who helped me on this thread with APC, I got some serious binge listening to do.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Mer de Noms is classic. The Hollow, Thomas, Magdalena, Orestes ... from beginning to end it carves out a sonic space and lives in it and breathes in it and explores every inch of it. It’s pretty much perfect and masters this dark, sensual sound that the band’s never gotten back to.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I hope I am not opening a can of worms because I have not read back pages on the Tool and APC threads but why is APC available on iTunes and Tool is not?

Anyways thank you to everybody who helped me on this thread with APC, I got some serious binge listening to do.
    I think Tool are locked into a very archaic, very awful record contract. Supposedly they make absolutely NO money from digital sales or streaming, so therefore none of their music is up? Something like that.

At least APC doesn't have that large of a catalog to sift through. Mer de Noms had several commercial singles with remixes and live tracks if you care to track those down. The 2000-2001 lineup of the band was really great. Troy, Paz, and Josh Freese really brought a unique kind of energy to that band that I loved.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 02-13-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I'd definitely start from the beginning and work your way forwards. You've made an excellent choice with APC.

IMO there really is no going wrong with this band - Emotive gets some flak, but it's a covers album so the whole thing stands in the shadow of its originals (And the one original song, Passive, in the shadow of its original live form as Vacant, depending who you ask), so debate about it continues. Some people thought their cover of Imagine was disastrous and horrid, ruining the spirit of the original; I appreciated it because that was the point.

You've got some awesome listening times ahead of you.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I feel like Emotive songs work so much better live. Luckily, there’s a live album, too. Having said that, I still like Emotive because it kinda fits into my interests.

But, yeah, Tool’s contract supposedly doesn’t allow them any royalties for online sales and they’ve been trying to get it fixed since their last lawsuit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I'd definitely start from the beginning and work your way forwards. You've made an excellent choice with APC.

IMO there really is no going wrong with this band - Emotive gets some flak, but it's a covers album so the whole thing stands in the shadow of its originals (And the one original song, Passive, in the shadow of its original live form as Vacant, depending who you ask), so debate about it continues. Some people thought their cover of Imagine was disastrous and horrid, ruining the spirit of the original; I appreciated it because that was the point.

You've got some awesome listening times ahead of you.
    This started when a friend of mine told me that, Billy Howerdel use to be a guitar tech, that is why I posted the picture because I couldn't figure out which one was Billy Howerdel and I forgot his name and I didn't want to text my friend and be a dumbass and say I forgot his name. So I was trying to figure out who was who.

I have a love/hate with cover albums when the band or artist is really talented, I really just want to hear original music from that artist, but sometimes an album of covers gives a window into what the artist likes and occasionally sometimes an artist will cover somebody else's song and do it better than the original, that rarely happens but sometimes it does.

All the Who fans are going to hate me for this, but Bowie's cover of "I Can't Explain" on Pin-Ups I like better than the Who version, I know blasphemy.

I am psyched to binge the APC catalog.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post

But, yeah, Tool’s contract supposedly doesn’t allow them any royalties for online sales and they’ve been trying to get it fixed since their last lawsuit.

That is nuts, you would think after the crash of the music industry, that they would be able to renegociate or get out of that contract. Its just odd that Tool is missing on iTunes, I would rather have the cd's or better yet the vinyl than a download, but most people download their music these days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I know very little about A Perfect Circle can you guys name the members for me from left to right from this picture because I was having no luck online trying to figure out who is who.
    Jimmy Chamberlain, James Iha, Billy Corgan, D'arcy Wretzky, Josh Freese (in disguise)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    Jimmy Chamberlain, James Iha, Billy Corgan, D'arcy Wretzky, Josh Freese (in disguise)

Quit being an ass...

... everyone knows that’s my 5th grade science teacher on the far right.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Pretty safe to say Maynard's schedule should be open from July-Sept to work on those Tool lyrics, if he's not already currently doing it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Pretty safe to say Maynard's schedule should be open from July-Sept to work on those Tool lyrics, if he's not already currently doing it.
    Nah, that's the middle of harvest season. Can't write lyrics when the grapes need love.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So, back to that Iha question. Do you gyus think he'll jump right from APC tour (which ends July 1) to Pumpkins tour (starting July 12), or is he getting replaced before that?
    The first option seems unlikely to me, especially since Pumpkins supposedly need a fuckton of rehearsals for the upcoming tour.
    Last edited by fillow; 02-15-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So, back to that Iha question. Do you gyus think he'll jump right from APC tour (which ends July 1) to Pumpkins tour (starting July 12), or is he getting replaced before that?
    The first option seems unlikely to me, especially since Pumpkins supposedly need a fuckton of rehearsals for the upcoming tour.
    For my part I’d be happy if the whole SP thing just fell apart. Fuck Billy Corgan.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Quit being an ass...

... everyone knows that’s my 5th grade science teacher on the far right.
    The fuck are you talking about? Martin Freeman was not your 5th grade science teacher. He was a military doctor who later blogged about a sociopathic crime-solving genius.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    James Iha definitely has that “why in the fuck am I even here???” look in that pic... hmmmm. ��

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    James Iha definitely has that “why in the fuck am I even here???” look in that pic... hmmmm. ��
    Not much to read into it. That's just kind of the "I'm James Iha" look.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Not much to read into it. That's just kind of the "I'm James Iha" look.
    With the recent Smashing Pumpkins news, you think he’ll stick through the whole APC tour?...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    With the recent Smashing Pumpkins news, you think he’ll stick through the whole APC tour?...
    I think he will. It's a lot of touring, but it's gotta be nice to be needed by two huge bands, right? Also, I find it hilarious that in both of his bands he answers to a tall bald dude named Billy.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I think he will. It's a lot of touring, but it's gotta be nice to be needed by two huge bands, right? Also, I find it hilarious that in both of his bands he answers to a tall bald dude named Billy.
    One is a ego maniac and the other is a calm, relaxed man. I’m sure one is easier to deal with

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Pictured: James Iha, having fun

Guy's always just had a bored/sarcastoface.

Plus he's got two kids to raise. He's a working guy supporting his family. I think he's gonna soldier through both.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 02-15-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    New album jazz aside...

My opinion...

Stone and Echo needs a fucking vinyl release.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    That’s a great article. Thanks!

I’m so glad it’s focused on A Perfect Circle and their relationship.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    Cool interview for sure. Idk what is up with all that lame Marilyn Manson makeup they're wearing in those pics though. Ugh.