Page 60 of 110 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 3283

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    Lord knows we are all anxiously awaiting your opinion so thank god you took the time to come in and tell us multiple times how not impressed you are.

Not sure what we all would have done without that information.
    No worries! Billy Howerdel could release 4 minutes of himself taking a shit and some nuthangers would drool for days, others shrug and move on!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    No worries! Billy Howerdel could release 4 minutes of himself taking a shit and some nuthangers would drool for days, others shrug and move on!
    Except I don't think you ever "shrug and move on", you make it a point to repeatedly come in and shit on things you dislike because apparently your opinion is just that important that everyone needs to know how much you don't enjoy something.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    One could replace "Billy Howerdel" with "Trent Reznor" and the same logic would apply.

Some people like the new song, some don't. It doesn't have to be the greatest thing APC has ever done for people to enjoy it on some level.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I still haven't listened to the song, saving to hear it live, but I am seeing a lot of people say "By and Down" was a better song. For what it's worth, I always thought B&D was a weak song. I never liked it. If this song is as hard as people are saying it is, It'll totally be up my alley. I like harder APC. Favourite tracks being Thinking Of You, Judith, The Hollow, The package, The outsider, Pet.

If it's anything like those songs, I'll love it.

But with that said, I loved hourglass and hated feathers. If that gives you an idea.

Can't please everyone I guess. We should just be happy there is new APC in 2017... Who would have even thought.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 10-18-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New song is quite a letdown. I dunno, something about the production and song itself is just ehh. Maynard's vocal delivery feels lifeless and the lyrics a bit too teen-angst high school lyrics. This doesn't sound or feel like A Perfect Circle. It comes of like some mediocre metal band trying to be all dark and political. I've listened to it a few times and it's hard to make it to the end. I really can't believe that I'm actually saying this about A Perfect Circle, a band I love. But this song feels off and comes off sounding amateur.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I still haven't listened to the song, saving to hear it live, but I am seeing a lot of people say "By and Down" was a better song. For what it's worth, I always thought B&D was a weak song. I never liked it. If this song is as hard as people are saying it is, It'll totally be up my alley. I like harder APC. Favourite tracks being Thinking Of You, Judith, The Hollow, The package, The outsider, Pet.

But with that said, I loved hourglass and hated feathers. If that gives you an idea.

Can't please everyone I guess. We should just be happy there is new APC in 2017... Who would have even thought.
    It's the quieter parts of the song that recall By and Down. While I do like By and Down, I agree that it's not one of the band's stronger tracks. Personally, I like this song more and it (at least to me) feels more like an APC song.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

I’m not gonna lie, conceptually The Doomed and By and Down couldn’t be further apart. The keys in the song recall By and Down but I’d place it much closer to those other songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not digging the new song. Kinda sounds like a jumbled mess. And I just feel like Maynard doesn't give his all to music anymore.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It sounds like he put exactly no effort into this.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WOW, that's very very bad.
    What the deal with the guitar ? APC is not a f*cking symphonic metal band ??!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    WOW, that's very very bad.
    What the deal with the guitar ? APC is not a f*cking symphonic metal band ??!!
    Counterpoint: They decide what they are or aren’t. This was the sound they wanted, it’s what they wrote.

Edit: I’d add the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ emoji some more but I feel like I’m using it a lot.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This it's safe to assume this new song splits people. Some like it, some hate it.

I'm personally in the like it group, but i can see where some people are coming from.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I don't hate it, it's just not very good...sorta mediocre and mashed together. But I guess it's just bias, my hopes were insanely high as I'm such a huge fan (a completely insane opinion from a constant whiner, I guess!)

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    just watched this the other day!
    -Louie
    So wouldn't you agree that "fuck the doomed" is almost certainly taken from what Nixon says in Where The Buffalo Roam?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    It drives me nuts that they never once use the correct name for the new single. They refer to as "Doomed" and once even as just "Doom."
    "second quarter of 2018, when Howerdel anticipates the band will finally be releasing a new album" ...So we don't get to hear the rest of the album for another 6-8 months?! That's a pretty big gap between the single and the album it's supporting.Of course, they'll release another single like a month or two before it drops (and I'm glad we got to hear The Doomed this early), but still.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It drives me nuts that they never once use the correct name for the new single. They refer to as "Doomed" and once even as just "Doom."
    "second quarter of 2018, when Howerdel anticipates the band will finally be releasing a new album" ...So we don't get to hear the rest of the album for another 6-8 months?! That's a pretty big gap between the single and the album it's supporting.Of course, they'll release another single like a month or two before it drops (and I'm glad we got to hear The Doomed this early), but still.
    It’s to promote the tour. If I had to guess I’d say they want to finish recording before they hit the road then get all the production, mixing, and marketing stuff done while they’re gone, then release it when the tour wraps.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So wouldn't you agree that "fuck the doomed" is almost certainly taken from what Nixon says in Where The Buffalo Roam?
    I don’t want to be “that guy” but I’m seeing so many people saying the lyrics are sophomoric and talking about the “newbie attitude” so I’m wondering if some people... Aren’t Getting It (tm).

The “word was death and the word was without light” is directly from the Gospel of John chapter 1.

The “doomed” are all people praised in The Beatitudes. The new Beatitudes are praising the seven deadly sins.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I don’t want to be “that guy” but I’m seeing so many people saying the lyrics are sophomoric and talking about the “newbie attitude” so I’m wondering if some people... Aren’t Getting It (tm).

The “word was death and the word was without light” is directly from the Gospel of John chapter 1.

The “doomed” are all people praised in The Beatitudes. The new Beatitudes are praising the seven deadly sins.

dude I certainly understand the lyrics, especially as a Christian who considers the beatitudes to be the most important part of the religion. I GODDAMN sure don't think the lyrics say "newbie attitude."

And I'm VERY familiar with the Gospel of John. Theology is a hobby of mine. And yes, you're right: the lines you reference are an inversion of the Gospel of John 1: 4-5.

That being said, there is a VERY pivotal scene in Where The Buffalo Roam in which Hunter Thompson approaches Nixon and asks him " what about the doomed? "
    And Nixon replies "fuck the doomed."

So while I absolutely "get" the lyrics, I DO think that that line from WTBR is/was part of the impetus of the writing of these lyrics.

Obviously the religious themes (inversion of the sermon on the mount which occurs in the synoptic gospels) along with the inversion of John, which doesn't quite fit with the first three and was written at a later date in response to Gnosticism, are the most important thing.

But again, "fuck the doomed" is a VERY specific and slightly unusual choice of words that appears in a cult classic film.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-19-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah, I can't say I'm into it.

Right after the song finished, YouTube auto-generated Lateralus, full album listen. Doze were da daze...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    dude I certainly understand the lyrics, especially as a Christian who considers the beatitudes to be the most important part of the religion. I GODDAMN sure don't think the lyrics say "newbie attitude."

And I'm VERY familiar with the Gospel of John. Theology is a hobby of mine.

That being said, there is a VERY pivotal scene in Where The Buffalo Roam in which Hunter Thompson approaches Nixon and asks him " what about the doomed? "
    And Nixon replies "fuck the doomed."

So while I absolutely "get" the lyrics, I DO think that that line from WTBR is/was part of the impetus of the writing of these lyrics.
    Oh, sorry, I wasn’t calling you out. I was elaborating on what you were saying. I agree that’s probably not a coincidence.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    After letting it marinate for a couple days, yeah, I really like this song. Definitely hoping for more Billy hard rock guitar-driven stuff on the album, but I'm looking forward to it no matter what they do.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Oh, sorry, I wasn’t calling you out. I was elaborating on what you were saying. I agree that’s probably not a coincidence.

oh fuck!
    Hahaha, I'm sorry! I hope I didn't come across as too much of an asshole :/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    oh fuck!
    Hahaha, I'm sorry! I hope I didn't come across as too much of an asshole :/
    It’s all good! Glad to know there are other people with theology knowledge around here.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Seems like I am listening to two different songs at times. After a couple of listens, it really comes together eventually. Was it confirmed if By and Down will be on the album or not?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Seems like I am listening to two different songs at times. After a couple of listens, it really comes together eventually. Was it confirmed if By and Down will be on the album or not?
    As far as I know it hasn’t come up.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I thought By and Down was a single released to give people a reason to buy that Greatest Hits collection. It'd be odd if it popped up again.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post

you guys are asking these types of questions to the wrong people....there is only one person in here who can accurately answer this.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    you guys are asking these types of questions to the wrong people....there is only one person in here who can accurately answer this.
    Well don’t leave us hanging.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Got myself two birthday presents: skydiving and a ticket to the Chicago show on 11/24. This is definitely the longest gap I've had between seeing a single band..I haven't seen them since they were doing the Thirteenth Step tour 13 years ago.

Don't mind one bit that I'll be in a seat for the show. I'm not a huge guy, I don't want to be standing around pushy-people to get a good view of the band..I'd rather eat two pot cookies and enjoy the shit out of the music. Can't wait. Fingers crossed for 'Passive' on the setlist.