Page 18 of 110 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    To be honest it could be both. The band could have been using an almost completed mix as a demo to shop around for record labels.

Who knows for sure and I doubt Maynard and Billy are going to say anything about it. So we will probably never know.
    Well, actually, it seems pretty likely to me that they already had a contract in place. This predates the release of MDN by only 6 months.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Okay, thnx.
    I guess it's more unfinished or 'work in progress' recordings then straight up demos. But still, cool!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: A Perfect Circle

Quote Originally Posted by renholder View Post
    Well, actually, it seems pretty likely to me that they already had a contract in place. This predates the release of MDN by only 6 months.
    The APC website news archives say that APC signed with Virgin in March 2000. Doesn't seem like much of a turnaround with the album out in May. But that is what it says.

edit: link it's at the bottom of the page.
    https://aperfectcircle.com/news.php?year=2000&page=8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Someone on another website posted this info about the Demos:

I know about it.
    It was sold to a buyer on eBay in 2003, by the wife of a record exec.
    That buyer released an mp3 of Army, but otherwise hoarded the disc.
    That buyer sold it in 2011, to someone who finally got around to ripping and sharing it some time in the last few days.
    The disc itself is a professionally printed CD-R from Sony Music Studios, California. It was sold in a jewel case with a generic white backing with a tracklisting, the title "Demos Unmixed 12-21-99," and the aforementioned info about Sony Music Studios.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Well I'm glad he said this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...d-wig-20130917

What can you tell us about the Perfect Circle box set?
    We did a short run a couple of years ago, where we did the albums front-to-back. Three nights, three records, the whole album. And some of the songs we haven't played in eight to 10 years. Some of them we hadn't played at all. In the box that you have, you have those three CDs, and then you have us live at Red Rocks. Always fun to play Red Rocks. And that's the full DVD – that's the full live performance. And there's other bells and whistles attached to it – there is an autographed lithograph. I think five lithographs are included in the box, and there is a custom-made resin A Perfect Circle box that it all goes in. So it's kind of fun.
    And from what I understand, A Perfect Circle is releasing a "greatest hits" package, too.
    Of course, record companies always have their little clause in their contract, about their right to release a greatest hits record. I think that can be kind of weird sometimes, when you see "the greatest hits," no, no – "the greatest greatest hits." Releases by a record label that the band had nothing to do with, and there's several versions of the same thing, over and over again. That's kind of why we did the DVD and the box set. If you're going to release a greatest hits, we should also offer something that's not just the old recordings, rearranged. But on that greatest hits, there's going to be the studio version of "By and Down," which is the new track that we've been working on, that we never quite got around to recording.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Here is a site with some more "information" on the demos. http://www.reddit.com/r/aperfectcirc...de_noms_demos/

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    This is hilarious.

If Virgin had been smart - and let's face it, they're not - they would have released their shoddy little GH album with the new song in standard form, and then a deluxe version with the MDN demos as the second disc.

Instead, they sat on them for years, let some record executive's wife sell them on EBay, and now they're free to all. Nice!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    This is hilarious.

If Virgin had been smart - and let's face it, they're not - they would have released their shoddy little GH album with the new song in standard form, and then a deluxe version with the MDN demos as the second disc.

Instead, they sat on them for years, let some record executive's wife sell them on EBay, and now they're free to all. Nice!
    Well, to be honest, these aren't really that interesting to a general public.

There are a few songs like Orestes where parts were obviously moved around in the mix and the vocals in the first verse on Magdalena are (I think) a different take than the album. Paz's vocals are also missing at the end of Judith.

I could be wrong, but I remember Billy and Maynard essentially saying that the music on MDN was mostly finished by the time Maynard got involved.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Agreed. These early mixes are really only appealing to super hardcore fans. Anyone else would just be like "Wow, I just paid for an unfinished version of an album I already have the finished version of."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Anybody else catch the "aww yeah bitch" in sleeping beauty? doesn't sound like billy or maynard

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Anybody else catch the "aww yeah bitch" in sleeping beauty? doesn't sound like billy or maynard
    It's Maynard I believe.
    It's there on the Mer de Noms vinyl and Maynard also says it on the acoustic version as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    yeah the vinyl has the extended intro, which I'd only ever heard live. you kids and you're fancy record players....

Great intro too, don't know why it got cut for the CD release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Or, you know...spend the whopping 99 cents on the song.

Oh right, paying for music is so '80s.
    I would buy it in a heartbeat if it was a new album. I've seen APC live 4 times. I loved the band and remember the existing material fondly. I'd be more inclined to buy the single if this didn't stink of obligatory contract fulfillment. The reason I am bitchy about this release is that I do honestly feel like maybe at least one other new track could be on it, even if it was just the live version of Over from the MDN tour - to close out the GH album (which would be really great).

Billy and Maynard know that some fans will buy this and after this long with nothing but a few cash in tours and a really shitty website redesign, I do honestly feel like the fans should be thrown more than one bone here. As it stands it is a tremendously shitty collection and I have no desire to spend a single cent on it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Once a year or so, I try the Ashes Divide album, in hope that I'll enjoy it more than the previous year. Its definitely not a terrible album, but it never quite does it for me. There are a few tracks that stand out, but ultimately, I never tend to listen to it on repeat (not like A Perfect Circle for example).

Even if most of the songs are A Perfect Circle rejects, I don't try to imagine what the album would've been like with Maynard's voice.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I still really like Ashes Divide. I don't think it's really leftover A Perfect Circle. Billy comes off really well. The lyrics are extremely meaningful and hit a chord with me. So, there's that. I do think the album could benefit from some of the tracks being rearranged.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I myself have tried to get into Ashes Divide several times, but just can't get into it unfortunately

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So this thread inspired me to listen to APC again for the first time since I was probably a senior in high school (I'm 27 now), and I have to say Mer De Noms is still damn good. Thirteenth Step really doesn't impress me much anymore, although its got a few decent songs. Its strange how much time changes things, because in high school Thirteenth Step was new and like my favorite thing in the world. I remember having arguments before school with my friends about which was better Mer De Noms or Thirteenth Step and now I suddenly realize I was on the wrong side.

Random APC thoughts.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    the best part of those 'demos' (they're not demos!) being spread around is that we finally have a digital version of the "Sleeping Beauty" intro. woo!

also love listening to MDN from such a different perspective. that album is pretty much memorized from start to finish in my head, including lots of misgivings about production issues (according to my tastes), so hearing the unpolished version is extremely weird and cool.

BH cut out some cool parts of "Army" when he remade it for Ashes Divide

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    the best part of those 'demos' (they're not demos!) being spread around is that we finally have a digital version of the "Sleeping Beauty" intro. woo!

also love listening to MDN from such a different perspective. that album is pretty much memorized from start to finish in my head, including lots of misgivings about production issues (according to my tastes), so hearing the unpolished version is extremely weird and cool.

BH cut out some cool parts of "Army" when he remade it for Ashes Divide
    I've had the extended intro version of Sleeping Beauty for years, from the vinyl album. I have the alternate take of Over from the vinyl as well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    so have most, bro. the important words were
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky
    digital version
    vvv ahhhh, a classic semantics discussion — digital source, then, my precious little flower
    Last edited by seasonsinthesky; 09-21-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well... when I record an mp3 (or flac, wav, whatever) from an analog format, I am creating a digital version.

Therefore, anyone who ripped the vinyl to their computers did, in fact, have a digital version.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    so have most, bro. the important words were

vvv ahhhh, a classic semantics discussion — digital source, then, my precious little flower
    Quote Originally Posted by renholder View Post
    Well... when I record an mp3 (or flac, wav, whatever) from an analog format, I am creating a digital version.

Therefore, anyone who ripped the vinyl to their computers did, in fact, have a digital version.
    My rip is flawless 100%. No hiccups, skips or feedback.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The rip I have (for both Beauty and Over) sucks, so a PM with 100% flawless rip would be awesome!
    edit: pm received, thanks
    Last edited by fillow; 09-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    can i have a pm for a flawless rip of them too? those versions are great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maynard is very saracastic and talks about other ppl being hungry for money and yet he hasn't been making new tool or apc and cashing in from re-releases and box sets..not contributing much.

The new tool album is fading away...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNiN View Post
    Maynard is very saracastic and talks about other ppl being hungry for money and yet he hasn't been making new tool or apc and cashing in from re-releases and box sets..not contributing much.

The new tool album is fading away...
    A 2 year tour with APC while touring with Puscifer after an LP and an EP and playing a mini tour with Tool...

Meanwhile preparing 2 live Puscifer releases.

Nope, he isn't doing anything at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    A 2 year tour with APC while touring with Puscifer after an LP and an EP and playing a mini tour with Tool...

Meanwhile preparing 2 live Puscifer releases.

Nope, he isn't doing anything at all.
    Please refresh my memory,when did tool or apc release their last records??
    Touring is for financial purposes only,they're not eving debuting a single new song on these mini tours.
    Maynad is working hard on puscifer,i'd give you that..i can't judge his work coz i still have to give puscifer a seious listen..
    All maynards fans want new tool or apc..hell,a live tool dvd will even do the job

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNiN View Post
    Please refresh my memory,when did tool or apc release their last records??
    Touring is for financial purposes only,they're not eving debuting a single new song on these mini tours.
    Maynad is working hard on puscifer,i'd give you that..i can't judge his work coz i still have to give puscifer a seious listen..
    All maynards fans want new tool or apc..hell,a live tool dvd will even do the job
    Lets be real, and cut the crap
    TOOL is not coming out with a Live DVD anytime Soon

And its been said by MJK himself that what's holding up the new TOOL record is Danny, Adam, and Justin's lack of material for a new album

Danny did a full length album with Volto! and toured on that record

Justin did an album with M.T Void

Adam has been attending WWE Live Events and getting married

APC never came out and said they would ever be coming out with a new full album, but Rather MJK and Billy said they would release new songs digitally one at a time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I totally get your point man,they are working.and i'm not arguing with you i just wanna state my opinion coz i think tool/apc have written some of the greatest music ever i would like for them to continue.

I'm a tool fan,i don't get into their side projects much and i've never tasted maynards wine and i think if it weren't for tool these side projects wouldn't have seen the light of day or at least get the level of recognition they're getting.

It's been almost 8 years since 10000 days,if the band can't write new music blair should annouce their demise instead of rambling about aliens and nachos or barbecues..

Ps: i always believed in a live tool dvd mainly because i live in the middle east and i've never been to their shows..it was a reality check and it hit hard.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I propose a filter: whenever you use the word "Tool" in the APC thread, it translates to "Fool (that I am)."