Page 79 of 110 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 3283

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The new By And Down The River really flows better than the original although it’s a bit hard to get used to at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    First listen done and I am sold. Of course it's not mdn or ts but this is nonetheless a great effort. Glad they went for it and didn't rehash the past, some very interesting stuff in there, further listening will be rewarding for sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    God, I was so certain this was going to be terrible. I'm glad I was wrong. I love this record.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    This was the first album in a loooooooooong time that I purposely kept myself away from singles and early, single song leaks, and I am so happy that I was able to listen to each for the first time together so I could understand the flow. Such a good album and a big departure from their previous releases. I'm pleased with it and will keep this disc in my car for weeks to come.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Oh my dear god i LOVE the Contrarian. it has that same "octobering" feel as The Noose and JESUS i can't get enough of that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Our hair and skin like

Marilyn Monroe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is all I'll be listening to until the new NIN EP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any chance for a PM?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I’m kinda taking this piece by piece (no pun intended).

So far, loving it.

Anyone hear anything or speculate on Maynard’s use of “Republicrat” in Hourglass?

Song's been out for a year and we're just asking this? :P

I always assumed it might be nothing more than making it flow better with aristocrat and democrat, but who knows.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Song's been out for a year and we're just asking this? :P

I always assumed it might be nothing more than making it flow better with aristocrat and democrat, but who knows.
    A republicrat is a Republican or Democrat that typically votes with the other side. Two-faced, in other words. The chorus sounds like it's meant to be a reflection of our leaders and how the "breed" of people we have in charge seem to be regressing.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Loved the album, in a way it's more "piano-based" than all the other albums, but with so much more experimentation.

I guess i get why some "haters" are going to dislike it's no "Mer De Noms", but it doesn't have to, the album is beautiful and gloomy at the same time.
    When i first heard "hourglass" live i liked the song, but now listening to the studio version i can safely say it's my favorite and the best from the album.

It was worth the wait and i hope APC doesn't make us wait another decade to listen to more songs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's such a fantastic album!

Being a fan of Conditions of My Parole and Moneyshot, this album is just another great addition in Maynard's repertoire.

I oddly really love the title track. The parts where he softly sings : "Just take a bite! Just go all in!", I find it very inspiring, and « daunting » as it put it so wonderfully.
    All singles fit and flow well, including By and Down (the river). Hourglass and Feathers studio versions are great. Get The Lead Out is not how I would have love the album to end, but ok I guess. Delicious is the only song I don't care (yet).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Feathers is by far my favorite. Reminds me of Tensioning by Sparta near the end.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Didn't realize The Weeknd produced 'Get The Lead Out'...

Enough jokes. Fantastic record start to finish. Love Hourglass even though it reminds me of Thirty Seconds to Mars.

Favorite tracks so far are:

ETE
    Disillusioned
    So Long...
    TalkTalk
    Delicious
    Get The Lead Out
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 04-19-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    The new By And Down The River really flows better than the original although it’s a bit hard to get used to at first.

The original version on Three Sixty sounds like a fucking demo now. I love this new version, it’s also faster in tempo.

I love/laugh reading everyone gushing over this now. I didn’t think they’d fail to deliver. Glad to see others have changed their thoughts.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I don't know what to say. I'm deeply disappointed and bummed out by this album and think they wasted a ton of potential and ruined some great material with questionable-at-best changes and mixing choices. I also can't process that the same person who wrote the lyrics to Lateralus and Thirteenth Step wrote these songs. I really wanted to love this, and I feel like I heard a different album than everybody else here. Get the Lead Out made me feel like I was being pranked and I have no idea who thought it should be almost seven minutes long, there are a lot of songs here that are way too long.

Hourglass is half of what it was when I saw it live. Feathers made me feel nothing despite the live recordings giving me chills. The opener is pretty but way too long. Maynard's vocals are overall impressive as hell here but they're used on lame lyrics and none of the music stood out to me. I don't need or want another Mer de Noms or something, I understood it wouldn't be that, but this just ... isn't for me. I don't know. I'm glad everyone else here seems satisfied, but I don't hear it.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I don't know what to say. I'm deeply disappointed and bummed out by this album and think they wasted a ton of potential and ruined some great material with questionable-at-best changes and mixing choices. I also can't process that the same person who wrote the lyrics to Lateralus and Thirteenth Step wrote these songs. I really wanted to love this, and I feel like I heard a different album than everybody else here. Get the Lead Out made me feel like I was being pranked and I have no idea who thought it should be almost seven minutes long, there are a lot of songs here that are way too long.

Hourglass is half of what it was when I saw it live. Feathers made me feel nothing despite the live recordings giving me chills. The opener is pretty but way too long. Maynard's vocals are overall impressive as hell here but they're used on lame lyrics and none of the music stood out to me. I don't need or want another Mer de Noms or something, I understood it wouldn't be that, but this just ... isn't for me. I don't know. I'm glad everyone else here seems satisfied, but I don't hear it.
    I’m glad I’m not alone

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'll give this a go tomorrow (though i'm a tad more excited to here the new album from TesserecT which is also out tomorrow) I liked what's been released so far so i'm hoping i'll get a kick out of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hourglass should have been a single. It's a lot more indicative of what's going on with this album than any of the singles they actually released, and it has teeth. It seems important, and vital, to this album, the way The Outsider feels in relation to Thirteenth Step.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Very well said. I'm really liking it so far and will need many listens to form a solid opinion, but it's nice to see fair and well thought-out criticism.

In general, I've learned not to have high expectations when creative teams revisit projects after several years away. That's gotten us the Star Wars prequels, Indiana Jones 4, The Hobbit trilogy, Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, and plenty of lackluster albums and TV reboots. There are plenty who would say With Teeth and Hesitation Marks were huge disappointments for what they wanted from a comeback NIN album.

I can definitely say Eat The Elephant is not the APC album I would want from the guys who made Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step, but I can also accept those guys aren't those guys anymore (which is amplified by the fact that none of the supporting band members are the same), so all we can do is take what they give us and learn to appreciate it for what it is.

That said, for every moment something feels more like Ashes Divide or Puscifer, a certain drum sound or guitar lick from Billy will give me chills and remind me I am really listening to a new APC album.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    So while the new approach may not be working for some of you I think any artist willing to take a risk and push themselves outside of what is comfortable to them in order to progress as musicians deserves at least a little credit.
    Indeed. On the Matt Pinfield interview, Maynard said something along the lines of, "we learned a lot that will help us on the next album," which indicates the intention is to continue moving forward with APC. Obviously, we know better that to expect new music from them anytime soon, but if this is album is a starting point for a new semi-regular release of APC albums, then it's a damn good one. If it's the only APC album we get for another decade (or forever), I'm still happy with it, though I get not everyone shares that sentiment.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    I’m glad I’m not alone

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Thanks to both of you for coming out of the shadows, because up until now, I was the only one on this board that hated this record and was starting to feel like something was wrong with me. But you said it when I feel that everyone else heard a different record than me.

I find it funny that 90% of ETS were "on the fence" when the first couple songs came out, and now everyone seems to have done a complete spin around and are loving it now.

When I got home from work again last night, I started reading more opinions on here and reddit about what people were saying about it. Every single person is praising it, so I thought "OK, maybe I was quick to judge and I'll listen again" but nope, this record does not do anything for me. I want to like it, but I don't.

Maybe I was expecting something else, and that's OK. Change isn't necessarily a bad thing. This just isn't the change I was looking for. It's a little too soft and melodic for my tastes. I was hoping for/expecting a couple more "punches to the face" I guess.

Funny thing is, when I first heard "The Doomed" as a stand alone song, I liked it. The more I listened to it, the more it wore off and I realized how sloppy of a song it really was. However, after listening to it in conjunction with the rest of the album, it really sticks out like a sore thumb and is not a very good song at all.
    I find maynard's delivery on the "upbeat" "faster" songs to be kind of weak. His voice suites the slower stuff perfectly, but I find he is really soft or not giving his "all" when he should be on the louder/faster songs.

When "Hourglass" came out, I had huge hopes for this record. If they stuck to that style for the whole record, I think I would have loved this record. I wish they experimented a little more with synths like how they did on that song.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 04-19-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    For now, for better and worse, I draw the line with a lot (or most) of this album.

I like the title track (quite a bit actually). I like "TalkTalk" (always kinda did). "Delicious" is probably my current favorite.

With some songs I'm just not that into, I can still somehow connect them to the band I know as APC. I absolutely appreciate the new territories of sound, even if they don't necessarily satisfy me. On the other hand, with something such as "Hourglass" in being too stinkin' Puscifer to my ears (big time!), I gotta hard-pass, and I actually like Puscifer well enough. *shake my damn head*

I probably should've considered bringing my excitement level down at the sight of one of the worst cover arts of all time. lol

All in all, what a weirdly mixed bag to digest. It's been ages, and my have things changed.
    Last edited by Amaro; 04-22-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I think this album suffers from a crippling time lapse from Thirteenth Step to now. That's nearly 15 years devoid of a full album and original content minus Passive on eMOTIVe (14 for that) and By and Down off Three Sixty (5 for that). Seems as if they have untouchable material to conquer over but i think the album was hyped and drummed up so much by their lack of musical presence in this world that it falls just short of any wow factor for some.

If this was released a few short years after eMOTIVe hype wouldn't have been at an all time high nor would expectations. Shame to see a few people still not like it but hey, whatever. It's music and opinions are subjective.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post

I can definitely say Eat The Elephant is not the APC album I would want from the guys who made Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step, but I can also accept those guys aren't those guys anymore (which is amplified by the fact that none of the supporting band members are the same), so all we can do is take what they give us and learn to appreciate it for what it is.
    yeah i mean, i don't know if it has to do with ME and my age or the record itself.
    honestly, although this album is certainly passable, i probably won't be listening to it a whole hell of a lot.
    when i listen to APC, i usually listen to Mer De Noms and that will likely continue.
    i'm mostly just glad that it's reasonably good.

also, @Toadflax , like you said: this is pretty much a different band.
    The Doomed is my favorite track by far; this may have something to do with my immersion in theology.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven’t listened to the leak. But man, So Long.. has grown on me. I fucking love it. The best, most coherent of the songs released so far. If the rest of the album is like that I’ll be pleased.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This album is worse than eMOTIVE.

There, I said it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post

There, I said it.
    I love this album, however you do realize what you said right?

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post

There, I said it.
    I love eMOTIVe.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I love eMOTIVe.
    yeah, it holds up pretty well, would be better had mjk sang on a few more songs tho.