Page 52 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 3226

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Like, holy shit Hourglass sounds incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    @wizfan did you get my PM?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    @wizfan did you get my PM?
    I did. All good. Listening to Hourglass now. That Spoiler: robotic voice caught me off-guard. Great song! And Maynard's delivery reminds me a bit of Spoiler: the live version of Puscifer's DoZo.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Hmm. Sounds very Puscifer-y.
    I'm curious to know if you (a.) like Puscifer's music and if you (b.) consider this to be a negative or if you were just commenting on the similarity in style. I think I agree with you, but I also consider Puscifer's most recent LP (Money $hot) to be the best overall full-length album from a "band" whose early material I consider to be pretty hit-or-miss. I DO agree that it's a little reminiscent of some of the more recent Puscifer songs, but that's also not really surprising, given that A Perfect Circle's current lineup includes two members (Maynard and Jeff Friedl) and one former member (Matt McJunkins) of Puscifer, so it's almost inevitable.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I agree it gives off the Puscifer vibe, and not in a good way since I'm not much a fan. Good call on it's difficult to separate with the members though. A similar scenario is TR & AR NIN sounding too much like the soundtrack stuff over the past decade or so.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I'm curious to know if you (a.) like Puscifer's music and if you (b.) consider this to be a negative or if you were just commenting on the similarity in style. I think I agree with you, but I also consider Puscifer's most recent LP (Money $hot) to be the best overall full-length album from a "band" whose early material I consider to be pretty hit-or-miss. I DO agree that it's a little reminiscent of some of the more recent Puscifer songs, but that's also not really surprising, given that A Perfect Circle's current lineup includes two members (Maynard and Jeff Friedl) and one former member (Matt McJunkins) of Puscifer, so it's almost inevitable.
    I definitely like Puscifer, both old and recent output. There was no criticizing on my part, just an observation.
    The verse instantly reminded me of Dozo, while the chorus goes in vein with latest stuff.

As you said, the similarity isn't unexpected, given the lineup overlap and the presence of the same singer/songwriter. This goes both ways: I believe if MJK decided to make songs like The Weaver or The Arsonist with APC, it would make total sense and no one would ever suspect their Puscifer roots.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agree with Krazy...it's very Puscifer-esque. Not bad in any way, but Puscifer has always been my least favorite of MJK's endeavors...a few standout tracks here and there, they were fantastic live, but I've always loved APC and Tool waaaaay more and it doesn't really seem fitting with the APC sound. Still, who am I to complain lol.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    My point exactly. He sings the verses of Hourglass in a very similar way to DoZo's:

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Well unfortunately he's been away from APC for so long that the whole Puscifer sound is bound to seep through.

By And Down sounded totally APC to me, but Feathers and Hourglass are way too Puscifery to be released as APC in my
    opinion. I'd rather have eMOTIVe and it be shitty but sound like APC than have something sound like something off Conditions of my Parole and call it APC. Listen to Magdalena or Breña then listen to Hourglass. It's like trying to put a triangle through a square.

But that's just my crazy opinion.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Well unfortunately he's been away from APC for so long that the whole Puscifer sound is bound to seep through.

By And Down sounded totally APC to me, but Feathers and Hourglass are way too Puscifery to be released as APC in my
    opinion. I'd rather have eMOTIVe and it be shitty but sound like APC than have something sound like something off Conditions of my Parole and call it APC. Listen to Magdalena or Breña then listen to Hourglass. It's like trying to put a triangle through a square.

But that's just my crazy opinion.
    Nah man you said it perfectly. It's not bad, it just doesn't fit IMO.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Billy in a new interview apparently sees the new album release date as 'November' but concedes that it could be 'spring next year at the latest'.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Billy in a new interview apparently sees the new album release date as 'November' but concedes that it could be 'spring next year at the latest'.
    For those interested, here's the interview mentioned above: http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/...mes?fullpage=1

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Love seeing scalpers realize they fucked up.

Bowl seats for nearly half face value; floor seats for face (or less, factoring in fee differences)

(These are the same seats that have been up for the last couple weeks, and were originally all over face value)

https://www.stubhub.com/a-perfect-ci...sort=price+asc

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Love seeing scalpers realize they fucked up.
    I have no clue why some of them bought the shit seats at Hollywood Bowl. Like seriously??? It seats around 18,000 and it's APC, not the Pink Floyd reunion tour.

And why why bother with attempting to scalp lawn at the Tool show in San Bernardino?

It's either amateurs, or perhaps they got the tickets for free. Mix of both most likely.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Austin gig was so good. Glad I decided to go. Still trying to figure out if James is on drugs or just the same really awkward kind of "weird" that I am.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Austin gig was so good. Glad I decided to go. Still trying to figure out if James is on drugs or just the same really awkward kind of "weird" that I am.
    The Smashing Pumpkins were my favorite band when I was younger until I discovered NIN, but I've actually only seen James live while he was playing with APC (St. Paul, MN show in 2002 and Portland, OR show in 2011). Anyway, he's always seemed just kind of awkward to me and his sense of humor is also very dry and deadpan. I don't doubt that he's dabbled in drugs over the course of his career, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person that does a lot of drugs. Then again, I never expected that Kirk Hammett was into drugs, but that seems to be the case.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    They put on an amazing show last night -- because of festival set times, they had to cut a lot of the songs that I was most looking forward to (Blue, Vanishing and Feathers were all some of the biggest reasons I was looking forward to this, honestly) and I'm still kind of bummed they didn't do any headlining theatre dates here in Florida whatsoever, but they made the most of their time and blew me away. The audience in the front at least was shockingly decent -- everyone was singing the lyrics to The Noose, Weak and Powerless, etc.

I went with a friend who's seen Tool several times and Pusicfer once and he assured me that he has never seen Maynard have that good of a time, let alone come to the edge and wave and thank everyone at the end. I don't know if he's been doing this at every show, but he started dancing and posing with a pair of shakeweights at one point and it was genuinely unbelievable to me to be seeing that guy having so much fun -- his voice was utterly flawless, landed every note, and sounded completely wonderful. Billy Howerdel was smiling constantly and tossing picks everywhere, in general everyone seemed to be having a fantastic time and I'm really, really hopeful that this tour makes all of them want to do this more because I'd rather have new APC and see them again than get new Tool at this point.

Also, the lighting set up was gorgeous -- they started in daylight and as it darkened and their lights began to kick in, the effect was wonderful. Somehow despite standing on a platform right in the middle of the stage Maynard still found a way to hide constantly thanks to the lighting effects, haha. As much as I wish I had gotten to see a full setlist (seriously, FL got cheated) I can't help but feel like getting to see them on a smaller stage than they normally play on with daylight at first fading into night was a unique experience on its own and I'll totally take it. I was basically front and center for the entire set, with only a couple of people in front of me who were all shorter, so it was totally ideal -- not a lot of shoving, not a lot of slamming around, in general the crowd was just having a blast and drinking it in.

I just wish I could make it to Atlanta for their next one.

Also: Hourglass live is incredible. The ending of it has the most amazing effect in person and it has me incredibly excited for their new material.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Glad you had a good time Kleiner. And yeah, Maynard's live vocals seem to shine the most with anything not named Tool. I can't disagree more though on new Tool vs new APC. If the future of APC are songs like By and Down, Feathers, and Hourglass (essentially a Puscifer like track) than I would take even regurgitated Tool riffs over that stuff. Scrap it and APC can do a greatest hits tour every few years if hey need the cash.

Looking forward to seeing them though next weekend. Most fan reviews have been great.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just grabbed tickets to see them tomorrow night in Atlanta (technically outside of Atlanta). Orchestra section, face value, so they must've released more tickets. Saw then in 2000 opening for NIN before Mer de Noms came out, and in 2001 in this shitty warehouse venue in Atlanta, so it's been a reeeaaaallllly long time, but I'm excited to revisit. I really don't listen to them much at all anymore but still enjoy it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Last edited by october_midnight; 05-01-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Those are some great videos, thanks for linking -- I can't believe how huge of a smile hearing The Hollow's chorus put on my face at the time, and that happened so much throughout. I basically alternated between smiling and being stunned during almost every song -- Bodies Like Sheep totally amazed me, and I'm gonna have to poke around for a good video of it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I just wish they would actually play "Pet" rather than "Counting Bodies..." and that they'd actually play the original version of "3 Libras" (not the remix version).
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 05-01-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I just wish they would actually play Pet rather then Counting Bodies and that they'd actually play the original version of 3 Libras (not the remix version).
    I'd really like to see them do a blend of Pet and Counting Bodies -- they could easily have the harder, more sinister and atmospheric aspects of Bodies build up to the melodies of Pet and then strip it back to the thumping of Counting. I just wish I'd get to hear Maynard do the "stay with me, safe and ignorant" part, especially with how good his voice is lately -- it's my favorite part of Pet by far.

Seeing it in person really made me content with it though, and it really hit hard. It was actually a highlight for me from the show overall. The 3 Libras remix somehow worked really well, too, even if the original would be great to see again.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrudolph View Post
    Just grabbed tickets to see them tomorrow night in Atlanta (technically outside of Atlanta). Orchestra section, face value, so they must've released more tickets. Saw then in 2000 opening for NIN before Mer de Noms came out, and in 2001 in this shitty warehouse venue in Atlanta, so it's been a reeeaaaallllly long time, but I'm excited to revisit. I really don't listen to them much at all anymore but still enjoy it.
    I will be there too. I cannot fucking wait.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Doing that remix instead of legit 3 Libras is so dissatisfying. If it were a shitty song it'd be a different story, but 3 Libras is amazing. Dat Leno peformance with Lohner tho.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I will also be at the Atlanta show. As well as Nashville.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Damn it, I just found out about the new song Hourglass and it has been taken down on youtube. Is there no legit way to listen to the new song currently?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Someone has probably already PMed it to you by now. The Beauty of Being ETS.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Someone has probably already PMed it to you by now. The Beauty of Being ETS.
    That would be pretty cool. ETS is so generous. I love how we probably share things into my inboxes.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    This is the best this band has sounded since probably 2001. Freaking amazing.

Also there's 4 Hourglass videos on YouTube. The one in this thread got pulled but there's still a few up.