Page 182 of 263 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 180 181 182 183 184 192 232 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,460 of 7885

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    "Check out this introduction to so-and-so band in 10 records."

Ten? Fucking TEN? How is listening to TEN albums from any musician an "introduction?" If it takes more than ten SONGS to get me casually familiar with a band then gtfo with it. "Yeah, ya know, I listened to ten NIN albums and I'm still not sure if I'm into them or not."
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 07-15-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    "Check out this introduction to so-and-so band in 10 records."

Ten? Fucking TEN? How is listening to TEN albums from any musician an "introduction?" If it takes more than ten SONGS to get me casually familiar with a band then gtfo with it. "Yeah, ya know, I listened to ten NIN albums and I'm still not sure if I'm into them or not."
    what band was it?!? there aren't that many bands that have more than ten albums unless they've been around for 30 years or they're in the noise/drone genre.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what band was it?!? there aren't that many bands that have more than ten albums unless they've been around for 30 years or they're in the noise/drone genre.
    It's a recurring series of articles published by The Vinyl Factory, and the one I saw this morning was for the band Mogwai. Admittedly, I'm sure the series is merely intended to give a brief description of a collection of records from a given musician/band rather than "oh yeah listen to these ten records to get a feel for them," but every time I see one of the titles I can't help but roll my eyes, heh.

WELCOME OBLIVION ISN'T EVEN A NINE INCH NAILS ALBUM, DUDES.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features...ls-10-records/

And the first two paragraphs about NTAE aren't even about NTAE. Riveting.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 07-15-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    It's a recurring series of articles published by The Vinyl Factory, and the one I saw this morning was for the band Mogwai. Admittedly, I'm sure the series is merely intended to give a brief description of a collection of records from a given musician/band rather than "oh yeah listen to these ten records to get a feel for them," but every time I see one of the titles I can't help but roll my eyes, heh.

WELCOME OBLIVION ISN'T EVEN A NINE INCH NAILS ALBUM, DUDES.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features...ls-10-records/

And the first two paragraphs about NTAE aren't even about NTAE. Riveting.
    mogwai only have 9 albums, including the one that comes out in september, so that doesn't even make sense.

what a weird concept.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    mogwai only have 9 albums, including the one that comes out in september, so that doesn't even make sense.

what a weird concept.
    Agreed. I figure they must mean LITERAL vinyl records...? I dunno. I've seen dozens of them posted online and have only bothered reading the one.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My wife and I rent a room in our house out on Air BnB. It's relatively easy money, but I hate having to rush home to clean and prep for a stranger. I voiced this to my wife, and it was like I was a monster. Sorry. I just don't like it. I don't care about the money.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Me: I'm sorry, but I can't turn up the audio much louder, or it'll cause permanent hearing damage to the people close to the speakers.

Drunk Woman: TURN IT UUUUUUUP! (in my face)

Me: no. You don't understand... live sound isn't that simple...

Drunk Woman: TURN IT UP! NOW! NOW!!!!! TURN IT UPPPPPP!"

Me: no

Drunk Woman: I wanna hear the, do you know I've been in a band for twenty years?

Me: No... and I'm half your age, been in bands for over 20 years, and I don't care anymore. If you keep talking to me I'm going to have you removed.

Drunk woman: OH?! Well, guess what, I could, uh, mess with your equipment and stuff"

Me: Try. You'll wind up in jail.

Then, I got fed up,

Me: "My dog is dying, right now, I wish I was home with him, and instead, I'm interfacing with you. OK. I cannot express how frustrating that is in a way that you'll get, but GO AWAY. Let me do my job. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm handling this, you should go handle the part you enjoy, and stop bothering me and making the band sound worse because you're fucking up my ability to interact with them.

I wish I was watching Game of Thrones with my dogs today, but instead I'm dealing with your bullshit. Take a step back, slow your fucking roll.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Found out that my boss doesn't like me. I mean I kind of knew it already, in the back of my mind, but it was confirmed on Friday. Seems there are 'people" who have issues with my performance. Doesn't want to name names, and the few examples actually provided are easily disproved as someone taking a narrow view on things. i.e. "this was sent to us with too short a time to respond!" Well yeah, but when you consider the fact that it came in at 8:30 and they want a response by 9:30, why are you blaming me? Also: every time I talk to him about people holding things up for me, he always demands names. When I ask him who are complaining about me, he says "oh I've just heard things." No, it doesn't work that way. You are a petty person who likes to go after people, I don't believe you.

It's rather difficult to want to continue to do my best here but there's a position coming open in a little bit and I just need to not look like a total idiot for the duration. Apparently he's already told people that he doesn't want me to get it.

No one deserves this. I mean, he tells me in one performance eval that "you should be wearing the carpet down from your desk to my office" and then in another eval says that "I just don't know how to talk to you." Yeah, no shit.

I'm seriously considering going to HR and complaining about how this is a hostile work environment.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Document the above as much as humanly possible before you do.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Found out that my boss doesn't like me. I mean I kind of knew it already, in the back of my mind, but it was confirmed on Friday. Seems there are 'people" who have issues with my performance. Doesn't want to name names, and the few examples actually provided are easily disproved as someone taking a narrow view on things. i.e. "this was sent to us with too short a time to respond!" Well yeah, but when you consider the fact that it came in at 8:30 and they want a response by 9:30, why are you blaming me? Also: every time I talk to him about people holding things up for me, he always demands names. When I ask him who are complaining about me, he says "oh I've just heard things." No, it doesn't work that way. You are a petty person who likes to go after people, I don't believe you.

It's rather difficult to want to continue to do my best here but there's a position coming open in a little bit and I just need to not look like a total idiot for the duration. Apparently he's already told people that he doesn't want me to get it.

No one deserves this. I mean, he tells me in one performance eval that "you should be wearing the carpet down from your desk to my office" and then in another eval says that "I just don't know how to talk to you." Yeah, no shit.

I'm seriously considering going to HR and complaining about how this is a hostile work environment.
    "Hostile work environment" is a legal term, and I would urge you to investigate the legal definition before you go to HR with such an accusation.

Practical advice: You'll be seen as the problem instead of your boss, unless he has a documented history; it's unfortunate, but it's the way most companies behave in my experience. Brainstorm what *you* can personally do to alleviate the situation and turn it around, all while you're looking for another job. I know, it sounds like victim-blaming, and I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Honestly, the only solution in this shitty situation lies with you.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    When staffing agencies post job advertisements that appear legit, but they are just a ploy to get your résumé. I swear these people get paid only by how many people they bring in for an interview, not by how many people they successfully place. Because this has happened to me about five times now... They contact me about my résumé that I submitted for a specific position, they bring me in for an interview, they have me send them my availability every week, and then they never contact me with any assignments/ roles.

But whyyyyy?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    "Hostile work environment" is a legal term, and I would urge you to investigate the legal definition before you go to HR with such an accusation.

Practical advice: You'll be seen as the problem instead of your boss, unless he has a documented history; it's unfortunate, but it's the way most companies behave in my experience. Brainstorm what *you* can personally do to alleviate the situation and turn it around, all while you're looking for another job. I know, it sounds like victim-blaming, and I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Honestly, the only solution in this shitty situation lies with you.
    Yeah, I'm hoping that this detail he's on (yeah, he's not even in the building and he's making it hard on me) gets him recognized at a higher level and he stays there. That happens and I'm golden. I love where I work and would really like to stay. Just that one person.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    So I recently accepted a position at a company I interviewed for and I'm starting this coming Monday. I am absolutely in love with this company and I cannot wait to start, that being said I received an email from another company today about a job I applied for approximately three weeks ago requesting that I do a phone interview this week. I immediately sent them an email back thanking them for their consideration but I would have to decline as I have recently accepted a position somewhere else. Then just out of curiosity I looked the company up on Glassdoor and this job averages at approximately $90,000 a year in my ZIP Code based on five employees submissions.

I live in the Midwest, the average house cost approximately $180,000 here.

They sent me an email back congratulating me on my new position and said they would pursue their other candidates.

So that was my day .
    Last edited by tony.parente; 07-18-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    When you're @'ed and see part of the post but the actual post has been deleted.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    When you're @'ed and see part of the post but the actual post has been deleted.

Yeah, allegro replied to my post here and that response was deleted too lol

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    You ever just get really fuckin tired of listening to one person talk all day every day? That's me with my supervisor.

Yeah, hey, guess what, not every silent moment needs to be filled with you talking. Not every moment needs to be made into a joke you've already made. Maybe just let me do something without hovering over my back and talking about more cars or houses you want to buy and not fix. Shit is DRAINING MY SOUL.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Doing sound for a gig this weekend that is freaking me out a bit.... It's on another level, thousands in audience, and I'm prepping as best I can to not fuck this up...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Yeah, allegro replied to my post here and that response was deleted too lol
    Happens to me, too, so I figure who cares? I don't like seeing my own posts, so sometimes I ditch 'em. I'm learning not to respond to shit outside the Trump forum. I'm sick of my online self.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    having OCD that requires me to catch up on (and actually read every post in) every thread that i'm following. when a new NIN release drops, it becomes so overwhelming. i just sat here and read SO MANY POSTS for the last 90 minutes. i feel like my brain is melting.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Happens to me, too, so I figure who cares? I don't like seeing my own posts, so sometimes I ditch 'em. I'm learning not to respond to shit outside the Trump forum. I'm sick of my online self.
    Aww. I love reading your posts, you sound like one of the sanest people on the board.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Prescription change. Nausea, dizziness, fatigue, and craving meat (which itself makes me feel nauseous).

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Establishments that don't accept cash. Do you want to get paid or fucking not? I have the money, who gives a flying fuck what format it's in? You not accepting it is entirely YOUR problem not mine.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    ugh...

So, I'm gonna try to be anonymous as much as possible here to avoid pissing on the only good aspect of this, but I took a gig filling in to do live sound for one of those outdoor movie screening things.

I was told on the phone that I would handle helping to set up the screen, cabling, handling the mixing board, and uncabling.

I'm told I'll be working from noon until eleven pm.... for what is far less than I usually expect to get paid for a day like that, but I'm told I'll only be handling that crap. Instead, I'm recovering from some kind of food poisoning bullshit, but now I'm carrying/pushing crates in the sun. Ok... I get it, more is expected of me. Within an hour I'm vomiting up all the water I'm downing to stay hydrated. I get it, the other guys in the team do this all the time, and they're all younger than I am... which makes it even shittier to have to take a breather in the shade for a moment.

When it comes time for me to finally do the job that I'm supposedly hired to fill in for, there's well over a thousand people in attendance. I do my job. I'm supposed to be "clocking out" at 11, but they ask me to help pack up. At 12:30, after running around again and doing the process in reverse, I feel light headed, and my eyes hurt when I stare at bright lights for a moment.

I just did twelve and a half hours of both physically exhausting and trained/skilled labor for less than 300 bucks. Why don't I just work overtime at McDonalds?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-23-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Because you would make a fraction of that at McDonald's?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Because you would make a fraction of that at McDonald's?
    it'd be a shitload easier, and I've worked minimum wage jobs, so I know that.
    12 hours of hard, exhausting work, that requires years of study to pull off right? At some point I need to take into account how much study goes into getting that gig, and then they want to pay me barely over minimum wage? Nah, I'm getting ripped off.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    it'd be a shitload easier, and I've worked minimum wage jobs, so I know that.
    12 hours of hard, exhausting work, that requires years of study to pull off right? At some point I need to take into account how much study goes into getting that gig, and then they want to pay me barely over minimum wage? Nah, I'm getting ripped off.
    Since I make time and a half after 8 hours - as part of a union I am guaranteed that - you made what I would made working 12 hours. It is in the retail business. It is also very physical and there is its own amount of mental stress (which causes a huge turnover rate because people underestimate it,) on top of being surrounded by very unhappy people, all the time. This is in a region where that kind of money isn't bad. The only thing I would say that you have in your favor is that this doesn't sound like it's a daily grind, facing the exact same thing, for years on end. That benefit is something to hang on to. (I'm facing going back after this 6 weeks off for surgery, and the dread is pretty strong. But short term disability is shit and I haven't received my fucking payments yet, on top of it. So there's my little thing that's pissing me off.) The upsides and downsides of every job balance out, in time.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I think my tone there is being misunderstood. I do regular jobs that are a lot easier, and I take less than minimum wage sometimes if it's casual, or if I'm tutoring someone who I think has promise, and I feel inspired to be there working with the person, and especially if I feel that the student appreciates the gesture. I'll let a lesson drag on for ten hours and charge five. Sometimes less.

But no, this isn't a daily grind for me. I don't think I'm physically capable of something on that level, every day? No.
    I'll admit that.
    I work my ass off. I was throwing up on the verge of passing out. Literally.

I feel I've reached a point of expertise where it's worth respecting yourself at a certain rate. But I would take 150 bucks less than that, and just hang around and handle the audio portion? I would. It's exhausting and stressful as fuck to do both. You have an audience of a thousand plus. I thought I was going to have a seizure while packing up. I'm sorry if I can't handle that shit anymore. I'm about to turn 38, and I am a poor athlete in 100 degree+ weather.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The Stephen King website. The moderator is a total bitch. I left it. I did not get banned.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    When you purchase a game and the disc isn't seated in the case properly thus making it fly around potentially getting scratched.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I think my tone there is being misunderstood. I do regular jobs that are a lot easier, and I take less than minimum wage sometimes if it's casual, or if I'm tutoring someone who I think has promise, and I feel inspired to be there working with the person, and especially if I feel that the student appreciates the gesture. I'll let a lesson drag on for ten hours and charge five. Sometimes less.

But no, this isn't a daily grind for me. I don't think I'm physically capable of something on that level, every day? No.
    I'll admit that.
    I work my ass off. I was throwing up on the verge of passing out. Literally.

I feel I've reached a point of expertise where it's worth respecting yourself at a certain rate. But I would take 150 bucks less than that, and just hang around and handle the audio portion? I would. It's exhausting and stressful as fuck to do both. You have an audience of a thousand plus. I thought I was going to have a seizure while packing up. I'm sorry if I can't handle that shit anymore. I'm about to turn 38, and I am a poor athlete in 100 degree+ weather.
    Just to be clear, I did not want to send any signal I thought you didn't work your ass off. I just meant to contrast working my own ass off in a different way, and also let it be known that if you are being compensated, and not doing something out of the goodness of your heart, I consider it work. Even "easy" minimum wage jobs (and jobs a bit more than that but nowhere near the sort of pay a CEO makes.) I'm obviously thinking a lot about jobs, work, and what is worth going back to school for and what isn't.