Page 201 of 201 FirstFirst ... 101 151 191 199 200 201
Results 6,001 to 6,015 of 6015

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Doing my taxes at midnight the day before they're due. Ugh. Stupid.

It's especially dumb of me because I'm getting a pretty decent return, so I have everything to gain by doing them sooner.

Mentioned
    749 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Doing my taxes at midnight the day before they're due. Ugh. Stupid.

It's especially dumb of me because I'm getting a pretty decent return, so I have everything to gain by doing them sooner.
    You should ESPECIALLY do them AS SOON AS POSSIBLE these days because IRS fraud is rampant, it has happened to somebody we know, scammers file the return ON YOUR BEHALF, electronically, and steal your refund.

They are now trying to prevent this by companies like H&R Block requiring driver's license numbers, so hopefully that works.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Fiscal quarters.

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    was already feeling queasy tonight (and for most of the day), and then we heard our upstairs neighbors screaming at each other. i started having flashbacks of my abusive relationship and feeling extremely ill. i don't know what to do. that was a couple hours ago and it only lasted for about 10 minutes, but it was still awful.

i should also note that everything else about our new apartment is fantastic, and we are very happy here. but that...really fucked me up.

Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    fucksake. my friend, who is the father of pretty much my closest and oldest friend (of thirty years,) killed himself today.
    fuuuuuuuuuck.

i can't imagine what my homeboy is going through. he just keeps saying that he doesn't know what to do and can't believe that any of this is real.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-19-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    having a casual acquaintance on social media who is constantly threatening to kill themselves, while ignoring any input from anyone, even things like "really, get off social media and please get some help."

Social media is NOT REAL. It's a facsimile. I hear you, but I can't guide you through it here, because this is just some echo chamber where we congratulate each other for thinking the same way we do and keeping up with whatever banal bullshit we're doing. Facebook isn't going to sweep in and save your life.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You should ESPECIALLY do them AS SOON AS POSSIBLE these days because IRS fraud is rampant, it has happened to somebody we know, scammers file the return ON YOUR BEHALF, electronically, and steal your refund.

They are now trying to prevent this by companies like H&R Block requiring driver's license numbers, so hopefully that works.
    Wow, I've never heard of that. Thanks for the heads up.

I think next year I'm going to try filing them online.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    having a casual acquaintance on social media who is constantly threatening to kill themselves, while ignoring any input from anyone, even things like "really, get off social media and please get some help."

Social media is NOT REAL. It's a facsimile. I hear you, but I can't guide you through it here, because this is just some echo chamber where we congratulate each other for thinking the same way we do and keeping up with whatever banal bullshit we're doing. Facebook isn't going to sweep in and save your life.
    I have called the police (white, so white, never when they aren't white, though I question that now a bit even in those cases) and called people's parents (when they aren't white) when people do this shit. If someone threatens suicide in front of me, I really cease to give a shit about them getting pissed off at me when the alternative is them maybe dying.

Mentioned
    749 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Wow, I've never heard of that. Thanks for the heads up.

I think next year I'm going to try filing them online.
    I highly recommend it, using H&R Block or TurboTax is REALLY easy and safe. Employers and investment companies are, by law, required to provide your 1099 or W2 by January 31st each year. File your taxes asap after that.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-20-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    i got this message on facebook from some dude saying "WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO FUCK UP MY FAMILY?"

and i was like ummm, what?
    who are you?
    and he won't say anything else.

then i got to thinking about it, and there WAS this lady on a certain message board who was saying that she wanted to die and such because her boyfriend treated her so badly. i suggested that if this guy was beating her or whatever, that, idk, maybe she should leave? and i guess she did.
    so if it's THIS dude, then he's logged into his ex's facebook and possibly ets (which isn't at all creepy) and can fuck right off.

and if not, it's a case of mistaken identity.

Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    sitting here trying to have a discussion about things with my extended family, and having my brother's wife tell me there's no distinction between the layman dictionary definition of "theory" and a "scientific theory" and then her laughing and saying "well, I'm a scientist, so you tell me what I don't know!!! LOL"

She thinks creationism is a "scientific theory."

Mentioned
    749 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    sitting here trying to have a discussion about things with my extended family, and having my brother's wife tell me there's no distinction between the layman dictionary definition of "theory" and a "scientific theory" and then her laughing and saying "well, I'm a scientist, so you tell me what I don't know!!! LOL"

She thinks creationism is a "scientific theory."
    Well, there is Old Earth creationism, and you can be a scientist but still have religious beliefs. I mean, they can co-exist. Old Earth creationism takes the book of Genesis figuratively.

(aren't you asking for elevated blood pressure discussing this kind of shit at family gatherings? Egad)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-22-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    When people believe in the "healing abilities" of Himalayan salt lamps. For fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    When people believe in the "healing abilities" of Himalayan salt lamps. For fuck's sake.
    I have a feeling that most of that shit works because people BELIEVE it works. My mom is into essential oils now and they work.
    I'm afraid that if I say anything about it, it won't work anymore.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I’m so goddamn tired of workplace politics.