Thread: The little things that piss you off

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Pro Tools. Look, I know it's an editing beast, but it's got so many bullshit hotkeys and unintuitive functions grandfathered into it at this point, that none of it really makes sense. The whole layout is batshit and unnecessarily convoluted, but I get it - they can't change it because everyone is used to the shitty way it is.

It's a sterile production environment that feels clinical, and going through a mix feels like I'm working with my feet. I used to know the software better when I was in studios more pre-Covid, but I guess I got rusty, because it's like learning it all over again, and I guess I have to, but ugggggggh... I prefer Logic, Cubase, Performer... I write in Ableton, Renoise, and Reason and I'm moving towards doing final mixes in Logic, but nooooo... I have to also know PT.

I'm really hoping I just warm up to this. I eventually became ambivalent before, but this is such a slog, and unlike practically every other musical discipline, this does not come back like riding a bike.

Oh yeah, and fuck their overpriced subscription-based price. Logic, you buy it once for what, 200 bucks? Then you get free updates and whatever. Pro Tools, for the basic usable version, requires a year subscription at 300 bucks. Now I'm running into playback issues... the song is crashing/stalling at the exact same spot in the timeline, and I can't figure out why. I'm not pushing the processor too hard here.

/rant

Haha, I get you. I work as a post sound engineer and love Pro Tools for editing (interoperability is key) and straight up mixing (also for music), but use Logic to compose anything. PT is too bland and uninspiring for that, always feels like working a day job whatever I do.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benoïde View Post
    Haha, I get you. I work as a post sound engineer and love Pro Tools for editing (interoperability is key) and straight up mixing (also for music), but use Logic to compose anything. PT is too bland and uninspiring for that, always feels like working a day job whatever I do.
    Yeah, I'm doing ambiance and foley for an indie movie, and I know PT is where it's at for that, and back around six years ago I had it all down. It's weird though, spotting and doing sound for film in PT is great, but mixing music feels... yeah, sterile and uncreative by comparison to the competition to me