Page 183 of 263 FirstFirst ... 83 133 173 181 182 183 184 185 193 233 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,490 of 7885

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    Just to be clear, I did not want to send any signal I thought you didn't work your ass off. I just meant to contrast working my own ass off in a different way, and also let it be known that if you are being compensated, and not doing something out of the goodness of your heart, I consider it work. Even "easy" minimum wage jobs (and jobs a bit more than that but nowhere near the sort of pay a CEO makes.) I'm obviously thinking a lot about jobs, work, and what is worth going back to school for and what isn't.
    I am in law, where there is no overtime and if you work 12 to 14 hours per day you don't get extra pay and this is just the way it is; you stay as long as it takes to get the job done, period. It's called "exempt" labor. We don't get overtime, we don't have time-and-a-half, we don't get ANY extra pay, we just work our asses off or we get fired and replaced.

Granted, we get paid very very well for this. But, our pay applies to 35-hour weeks as well as 60-hour weeks. At most firms, we have billable hour quotas.

Right now, I am working an hourly paralegal job (FROM HOME omg awesome) that's totally flexible and I bill time from my BOAT, on vacation, from my Mom's apartment, wherever I even check EMAIL I bill for it. But, I've been doing this for nearly 30 years and it sometimes takes that long and with my education to get to this point.

When I'm sitting there eating at Panera, and watching people behind the counter working their asses off and sweating to get everybody's lunch done correctly and quickly, I know that none of them have said, "you know, I really want a CAREER at Panera." They're making ends meet, making a living, working hard. I just wish we could get those people better jobs with better benefits and with the promise of advancement. On the other hand, the world NEEDS those workers. They make the world go 'round.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    Just to be clear, I did not want to send any signal I thought you didn't work your ass off. I just meant to contrast working my own ass off in a different way, and also let it be known that if you are being compensated, and not doing something out of the goodness of your heart, I consider it work. Even "easy" minimum wage jobs (and jobs a bit more than that but nowhere near the sort of pay a CEO makes.) I'm obviously thinking a lot about jobs, work, and what is worth going back to school for and what isn't.
    This is the thing that I believe @allegro and I agree upon here, and it's where it becomes difficult to convey from my perspective... especially in a way that doesn't make me sound like some condescending prick, which I promise you I'm not being. The job I can do here is pay by project, however long it takes. When I'm producing a track for someone, or engineering, I'm there to see it through. I don't charge by the hour, I charge by the project, and my assessment of how much time it will take holds... if a client wants further revisions, I estimate the time it will take to do them.

If you don't set these limits, you will be taken advantage of.

With live sound, that limitation is even more clear-cut, so maybe I ran into a snag here where I found the way I fit into this production as a cog to be abusable. I'm there to save something big from turning into a trainwreck, and again, I can't/won't name any names because that'd be stupid as fuck to do, and an industry facepalm move. But it was big. I was assured over the phone and via email rider that here's where I fit into the process.

When I showed up, I was asked to do work that was not part of my rider. If I'd walked out there and then, they'd have been fucked, and my communication with this company would be shattered... so I did the leg work. I'm not in bad shape, but I'm not training to run a marathon either. I got heatstroke, and ended up puking. Then, I need to do my job, the part I'm being paid for, and my hands are cramping up (new sensation for me).

You can't just ask anyone off the street if they can run a complicated live rig. You need to have years of study to know how to do this. If you grab some bullshit artist who doesn't know what they're doing, best chance is everything will sound like shit, bands are pissed that they can't hear themselves, audience is mad... Worst case, you deafen an audience/band because you don't know what you're doing, and on this level, it's more complex than most simple live gigs.

So, I need to understand what I'm worth. Demanding less lets people walk all over you, and while that'll win you some gigs from penny-pinching promoters who see an exploitable talent, it does you no favors to kowtow to it in the long run.

Today, I did the simplest sound ever for a wine bar, my main job was to keep people calm, and to handle the simplest setup ever. I believe I'm getting paid 100 for that, and it was a relaxing evening. They offered me gourmet food, a glass of apparently incredible white wine (I'm a philistine at that shit, but it was good), and grand total I only had to do about 25 minutes of real work. I don't expect that when I show up to a gig, but I don't expect to be abused either.

And I like the legal/lawyer comparison... what if you were a professional lawyer, who studied your ass off and learned a complex system in a reliable way that people counted on, and then you showed up to represent a client. OK, you think you're showing up for a normal day on the job, business, more or less, as usual. And suddenly, the client's reps say "ok, so the police horribly attacked the client, and we need you to understand what this felt like for you to be able to properly represent him," and then started firing bean-bag rounds at you so you'd "get it."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I am in law, where there is no overtime and if you work 12 to 14 hours per day you don't get extra pay and this is just the way it is; you stay as long as it takes to get the job done, period. It's called "exempt" labor. We don't get overtime, we don't have time-and-a-half, we don't get ANY extra pay, we just work our asses off or we get fired and replaced.

Granted, we get paid very very well for this. But, our pay applies to 35-hour weeks as well as 60-hour weeks. At most firms, we have billable hour quotas.

Right now, I am working an hourly paralegal job (FROM HOME omg awesome) that's totally flexible and I bill time from my BOAT, on vacation, from my Mom's apartment, wherever I even check EMAIL I bill for it. But, I've been doing this for nearly 30 years and it sometimes takes that long and with my education to get to this point.

When I'm sitting there eating at Panera, and watching people behind the counter working their asses off and sweating to get everybody's lunch done correctly and quickly, I know that none of them have said, "you know, I really want a CAREER at Panera." They're making ends meet, making a living, working hard. I just wish we could get those people better jobs with better benefits and with the promise of advancement. On the other hand, the world NEEDS those workers. They make the world go 'round.
    The further up you move in the company I work for, you are salaried, and expected to take on projects that defy time limits, and are also no longer eligible for union. So, yeah, I'm not giving myself to this company, since I am no longer sure about anything they do. Becoming this particular department's the assistant manager to help open it in our store let me see the very flawed nature of this company. I stepped back into the associate ranks because of this. It's a matter of who I want to give what little time I have left. This company will not be getting more out of me than being a basic cog. Not after what I was put through. Nope.

As I look around, I can't tell if there is anything worth it or not.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The weather here is atrocious.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I had a great job, a busy social life and actual real life relationships when I lived in City X. I have none of that now in City Y. I haven't had a single date since I moved here and I have no friends. City X was like my Narnia. I miss it terribly.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    People who you were friends with for years who randomly unfriend you on social media with zero rhyme or reason and then when you ask them why they block you completely, but they still use your picture as their avatar on message boards.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    People who you were friends with for years who randomly unfriend you on social media with zero rhyme or reason and then when you ask them why they block you completely, but they still use your picture as their avatar on message boards.
    Come on, Tony, give it a rest and quit airing this shit here.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It wasn't random. You don't know when to draw the line and stop. I had to filter you out from seeing most of what I posted because it was inevitable that you would post some wild shit and upset one of my friends. It wasn't worth having to like sit and think about if I had to edit things because of you.

You have a point about the pic, though. I will change it when I get home.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    It wasn't random. You don't know when to draw the line and stop. I had to filter you out from seeing most of what I posted because it was inevitable that you would post some wild shit and upset one of my friends. It wasn't worth having to like sit and think about if I had to edit things because of you.

You have a point about the pic, though. I will change it when I get home.
    It was random, you never said "hey tony could you not "XXX" on my posts it's pissing off "xxx". I also tried to reach out to you privately as well. Thank you for changing your profile pic in advance.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 07-31-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I just feel so creatively frustrated.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I just feel so creatively frustrated.
    as in frustrated in a unique way? or frustrated with your current state of creative energy?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    as in frustrated in a unique way? or frustrated with your current state of creative energy?
    Both

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Okay, since a lot of things don't really piss me off, there is one thing that's really bugging me that I keep seeing.

All the musicians complaining about phones at a concert.

I don't think I've seen one person defend using a phone at a concert, it's always "put it down and live the show", "ban them", "get blacklisted if you get caught with one backstage" (looking at you Tool), and if you are Corey Taylor, you slap them out of someone's hand.

First of all, don't fucking tell me I'm not living the show if I'm recording something, I was having the time of my life seeing Weird Al and recording it, fun and funny and super enjoyable. And I'm also not recording it for proof or anything, I can record it to show it to someone who might have wanted to go but never got a chance to, like with me and Soundgarden and Linkin Park.

I recently read an article about King Crimson and how they felt about phones. I read that they do try new things on stage because "they are being filmed". The fuck is that? I think they also said something about fucking up and the world would see. Well, who cares? People fuck up and you aren't perfect. You see a fuck up online and you take it as a sense of how human you are and how you make mistakes. If you tell me you have never made a mistake in your life, you are lying to me.

And then there is the banning thing. That is gonna be a disaster as well as those fucking phone pocket seals, that would be horrible.

I hate to use horrible events as a means to back up my arguments, but try and hear me out, and I apologize for offending anyone when I do write this.

The Eagles of Death Metal concert attack. What if phones had been banned at the time? what if security was injured and I couldn't use my phone to get help, call my family and all that such? You know whose fault that's gonna be right? It's gonna cause more problems than "helping a problem" and honestly, I could see a lot of lawsuits being filed from it.

And then there is the Corey Taylor solution, you don't like it, just slap it out of someone's hands. I guess he didn't read what happened with David Draiman when he called someone out, did he? Basically, what Corey did was that he reverted to being a 7-year old that was upset that ONE FUCKING PERSON was 'on the phone' and he wasn't getting everyone's attention, I'll just slap it out, who cares if he was doing something important. Now lucky for him, the fan wasn't, but what if it was? I'm also sure about Slipknot posting a video of Before I Forget using footage from fan's cell phones, so he is a hypocrite, but then again, this is Corey, he did run out of his free google searches when he saw the title of Fall Out Boy's album being titled "Save Rock & Roll" and needed to vent out on that.

If i'm ever on stage, my only request would be to make sure the person behind you can see well and is still enjoying the show, other than that, I would give a shit.

Just gonna have to deal with it, is a dual blade sword, like musical genres.

I could be completly wrong, this is just my opinion, not a fact.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Okay, since a lot of things don't really piss me off, there is one thing that's really bugging me that I keep seeing.

All the musicians complaining about phones at a concert.

I don't think I've seen one person defend using a phone at a concert, it's always "put it down and live the show", "ban them", "get blacklisted if you get caught with one backstage" (looking at you Tool), and if you are Corey Taylor, you slap them out of someone's hand.
    I have mixed feelings about phones. Because I've definitely taken pics at gigs before, but it's generally only one or two photos because there's photographers who are there taking professional photos and they'll look way better than mine.

BUT... it's also super annoying when you're like 5"2 and the person in front of you in the mosh has a camera in your face the whole time because they want to record stuff..

And also, when I saw NIN at Melbourne in 2014, I followed them all around Australia and by the time that gig happened, I was on pretty friendly terms with the tour staff. Trents bodyguard came up to me and said that Trent would be jumping into the mosh during Piggy and that he'd get him to jump into the section I was at, so to just make sure that no one has their phones out or he won't go into the crowd... So of course, I tell everyone in the mosh around, DO NOT GET YOUR PHONES OUT!! And Piggy starts playing, his bodyguard comes and stands in front of me, then midway through the song, I see Trent look directly where I was, see the chick next to me, ON HER FKN PHONE, and then he shakes his head at the bodyguard... So angry.

Tl;dr - NO PHONES AT NIN.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I accept that people around me are going to be filming the show with their phones. I pull mine out when I'm having a religious moment that I want a snapshot of, and it goes away.

I'm not a hypocrite. I only hate it when they camera is blocking my view, but I'm a relatively tall person so this is uncommon.
    I don't know where to start on telling people how to enjoy a show, but if the band doesn't wanna see that shit, put it away out of respect for the band you're watching. It's hard to communicate with an audience, and I understand that some musicians may feel the sea of cameras is off-putting.

You can't understand that concern if you've never played live in front of an audience.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Im just gonna blame all of this on my autism. It's true i haven't been in stage on that side of the story so i don't know. But i do know their are people perfectly fine with it. Devin Townsend comes to mind. He jumps into the front row to take pictures with the fans while thanking them so i know their are people ok with it.

But again that would be my only request.make sure the person behind can see, THEN you can slap the phone out. They'll listen then.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I've been watching this youtuber's twin peaks theory for THREE HOURS. He kept insisting that he was building toward something that was really worth it and to just stay with him. Annnnd....
    His "theory" is that there are actual, REAL clones in the show.
    Goddamnit. I want my three hours back.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Dear Apple,

Can you please fix your issue with lyrics disappearing when I want to sync new music to my phone? Deleting my entire library and waiting for 250+ GB of music to re-sync every time is kind of ridiculous.

The lyrics aren't gone, they just refuse to show if I simply add something to what's already on the phone.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    when your teeth touch peach pits... god, what a terrible feeling that pisses me off so much..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    People who think I don't work my ass off, and have to pay all my goddamned bills on my own, and somehow fail to see my ex-husband wasting all his fucking money while his parents cover his fucking bills repeatedly.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    The High Road level in Crash Bandicoot.

Fuck that level. Fuck it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I need a new bed. The choices are so overwhelming, though, that I end up doing nothing. Which pisses me off more.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Narcissists who turn every conversation into a discussion about themselves.

People who pretend they're VIPS when they're really just failures who work at low-paying, dead-end jobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    People that fail to return shopping carts to the corral or back to the front of the store.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slammy79 View Post
    People that fail to return shopping carts to the corral or back to the front of the store.
    I'm so with you on that as you see them in a parking lot space and you have to move it. Ugh....

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I'm so with you on that as you see them in a parking lot space and you have to move it. Ugh....
    Or if it's windy and someone's cart that they left in a nearby stall ends up rolling into your vehicle.

People sure don't seem to think about that stuff.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slammy79 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Or if it's windy and someone's cart that they left in a nearby stall ends up rolling into your vehicle.

People sure don't seem to think about that stuff.
    the worst is when people just blatantly block MULTIPLE spaces with a single cart, OR when they block the entire bike rack by shoving the cart between the wall and the bike rack. how fucking hard is it to walk a few feet and put the cart back? people are so self-centered it's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    People on the London Underground (Tube) who rather then waiting for other passengers to get off try to WALK THROUGH THEM! You know it'll be easier to get on the bloody thing if you let everyone off first, that seat you've seen will still be there asshole!

Also people in rush hour who use the seat next to them for their bags, FUCK YOU!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    People on the London Underground (Tube) who rather then waiting for other passengers to get off try to WALK THROUGH THEM! You know it'll be easier to get on the bloody thing if you let everyone off first, that seat you've seen will still be there asshole!

Also people in rush hour who use the seat next to them for their bags, FUCK YOU!
    i think that's a common problem with all public transportation, because it happens here (in chicago) constantly.

i've also noticed people do it on elevators? like, you're supposed to let people OUT of the box of impending doom before you enter.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i think that's a common problem with all public transportation, because it happens here (in chicago) constantly.

i've also noticed people do it on elevators? like, you're supposed to let people OUT of the box of impending doom before you enter.
    I don't know what it is, impatience maybe? It just beggars belief, objects that need to get off through the same path and the objects that enter, so just let them off first...just annoys me SO MUCH!