Page 102 of 263 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 7885

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I bought a new 55 inch smart TV, assembled a mount with my friends, and on day fucking two the thing has a pixelated color bar across the top of the screen. Lovely. Now I have to take it down, remove the clips from the back of it, box it back up, hope Amazon is quick on the refund and hope my old TV will fit on the new mount until said refund clears and I can get something else. I wish I could do all this by myself but my neuropathy makes sure I will not be able to. Motherfucker...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anti-Vaccers

They have no evidence what-so-ever about vaccines causing autism, and even if that was true, i'd rather have autism than fucking polio.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    That sounds like the worst "would you rather" ever !

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    My mom and this damn weather. Winter weather and my mom don't mix because she becomes the biggest worrywart, sending me constant text messages about forecasted weather, telling me whether or not she or my step-father are going in to work or asking if I'm working. My mom lives an hour away so it's not like we get the same weather at the same time. It has started to sleet where she is right now and she asked me to text her when I got to work this morning, never mind that it's not sleeting here yet and the roads are clear. It's like she doesn't have anything else better to do than worry about things she can't control in life.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Today I was walking home from my run and I saw a body laying in front of the stairs to apartment next to mine, when I got close, it become apparent that it is an old guy with a cane laying next to him. He was facing the other way so I wasn't sure if he was still alive or what is going on until I was next to him. He had blood on his forehead and there was blood on the stairs as well, he was breathing and looking around but he wasn't able to move. He said he tripped and fell on the stairs. He said he was laying there for 15 minutes, which is completely baffling to me. Did nobody pass by in that time? I find it hard to believe that, since the spot is close to a little cash and carry, road and it's an apartment complex with maybe 8 buildings. Just in ten minutes period when I was waiting for an ambulance, maybe five people passed by, but not one of them couldn't be bother to ask what is going on, which, I don't mind that much since somebody was already there, but I don't really get people who see a person laying under the stairs and do nothing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Today I was walking home from my run and I saw a body laying in front of the stairs to apartment next to mine, when I got close, it become apparent that it is an old guy with a cane laying next to him. He was facing the other way so I wasn't sure if he was still alive or what is going on until I was next to him. He had blood on his forehead and there was blood on the stairs as well, he was breathing and looking around but he wasn't able to move. He said he tripped and fell on the stairs. He said he was laying there for 15 minutes, which is completely baffling to me. Did nobody pass by in that time? I find it hard to believe that, since the spot is close to a little cash and carry, road and it's an apartment complex with maybe 8 buildings. Just in ten minutes period when I was waiting for an ambulance, maybe five people passed by, but not one of them couldn't be bother to ask what is going on, which, I don't mind that much since somebody was already there, but I don't really get people who see a person laying under the stairs and do nothing.
    Really glad that you weren't like those other mean selfish people, and that you took the time to stop and help that poor man.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    medical phonecall holding pattern

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    the nin forum right now. it'll pass.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/ny...rule.html?_r=0

This. Uuuuuugh. I wonder if this would even be an issue if some of them weren't getting HSV from it. I hope that my boyfriend, the mayor, isn't giving in on this because of votes. :/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post

This. Uuuuuugh. I wonder if this would even be an issue if some of them weren't getting HSV from it. I hope that my boyfriend, the mayor, isn't giving in on this because of votes. :/
    this is FUCKING GROSS. i have very mixed feelings about circumcision (i'm circumcised but it was done by a doctor, despite my jewish heritage) but who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to use YOUR MOUTH to suck blood away from the area after performing one?!? i hope all the mohels who have been part of giving herpes to babies are fined and stripped of their ability to perform circumcisions.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yeah our culture is so fucked up. You have a group of sick old men fighting in the public eye for the right to keep sucking little boys dicks. So let's pander to them and try to discuss as though this is a legitimate issue. How other things become these huge issues and this just kind of slips by without a public outcry is criminal. How do you not just pass a law making this illegal and be done with it? Too bad so fucking sad, use a paper towel or wipe and move on with your life. I'd blame the parents who keep allowing it to happen too but they are already brainwashed and will listen to anything their a Rabbi says to have a any real chance if fighting it. "Ok so by the way, if you look down during the ceremony and I'm sucking your baby's dick, it's all part of the plan, I swear!" "Ok that sounds reasonable I trust you, praise be to God".

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The thing is that the previous rule just had the parents sign a form to state that they had knowledge of the risks. That's it. So what is the "compromise" on that going to be? Nobody was even following THAT rule, so I imagine that it is going to be something even less.

Bleh.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    this is FUCKING GROSS. i have very mixed feelings about circumcision (i'm circumcised but it was done by a doctor, despite my jewish heritage) but who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to use YOUR MOUTH to suck blood away from the area after performing one?!? i hope all the mohels who have been part of giving herpes to babies are fined and stripped of their ability to perform circumcisions.
    Thie article says:

"Metzitzah b’peh is a regular part of the circumcision ceremony within some branches of Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox Judaism, but is rare among other Jews. In 2012, a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that it was conducted on about 3,600 New York City newborns each year. The researchers advised against the practice, warning that it raises the likelihood that an infant will get herpes by 3.4 times that of other male newborns."

So 3600 ain't that many, relatively speaking, seems simple enough to JUST BAN THE PRACTICE AS BEING UNSAFE AND ILLEGAL AND PEDO.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    But... MAH RELIGIOUS FREEDOMS!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    But... MAH RELIGIOUS FREEDOMS!
    That's what Warren Jeffs said. Didn't work.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Thie article says:

"Metzitzah b’peh is a regular part of the circumcision ceremony within some branches of Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox Judaism, but is rare among other Jews. In 2012, a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that it was conducted on about 3,600 New York City newborns each year. The researchers advised against the practice, warning that it raises the likelihood that an infant will get herpes by 3.4 times that of other male newborns."

So 3600 ain't that many, relatively speaking, seems simple enough to JUST BAN THE PRACTICE AS BEING UNSAFE AND ILLEGAL AND PEDO.
    Rabbi's don't like to be bossed around. That's their job.

I'm going to go what Francis said about priests not being allowed to marry. which makes me sorta hopeful for the RC church. Some things are traditions, not doctrine. Maybe these rabbis will get it - otherwise, yeah, public health issue - ban it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Rabbi's don't like to be bossed around. That's their job.

I'm going to go what Francis said about priests not being allowed to marry. which makes me sorta hopeful for the RC church. Some things are traditions, not doctrine. Maybe these rabbis will get it - otherwise, yeah, public health issue - ban it.
    This is really interesting, written by a Rabbi who is also a law professor at Emory:

On August 15, 2014, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in Central Rabbinical Congress of the United States & Canada v. New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene issued a very important religious freedom decision. The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene had issued regulations requiring that parents consent in writing to metzitzah b’peh (MBP) as part of the Jewish circumcision (bris) ritual due to the risks of spreading herpes simplex virus (HSV) during the bris.

These regulations were affirmed by the United States District Court last year as rationally connected to the governmental interest in protecting children from contracting HSV and, thus, constitutional, even though these regulations inhibited some religious Jews from practicing bris in the way they believed Jewish Law mandated.

The Second Circuit ruled that the District Court used the wrong legal standard to evaluate these circumcision regulations. It therefore reversed the District Court’s decision and returned the case to the lower court for further determination. The Circuit Court noted that because the basic purpose of these regulations was to inhibit a religious practice, their constitutionality must be reviewed under the “strict scrutiny” standard and not the “rational basis” standard. The court stated:

Three organizations supporting the practice of MBP as part of bris milah and three mohelim who perform MBP (collectively, “plaintiffs”) filed suit, challenging the Regulation…as burdening their free exercise of religion in violation of the same. The district court denied the plaintiffs’ motion for a preliminary injunction, holding,….that it is a neutral and generally applicable law pursuant to Employment Division v. Smith, , and Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye, Inc. v. City of Hialeah, so is subject only to rational basis review.

….[W]e disagree. The Regulation is neither neutral nor, on this record, generally applicable and therefore must satisfy strict scrutiny. The Regulation is not neutral because it purposefully and exclusively targets a religious practice for special burdens. And at least at this preliminary stage, the Regulation is not generally applicable either, because it is under-inclusive in relation to its asserted secular goals: The Regulation pertains to religious conduct associated with a small percentage of HSV infection cases among infants, while leaving secular conduct associated with a larger percentage of such infection unaddressed. [Citations and footnotes omitted, emphasis added]
    This issue – what is the standard of review of general laws that are directed functionally at only a small religious group and its practices – is a very important one for many religious groups, Orthodox Jews included. The higher the standard of review, the less likely it is the law will be constitutional.

The First Amendment to the Constitution mandates simply that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof” and protects both the right of every person to worship as he or she sees fit and codifies the obligation of the government not to privilege one faith over another.

But in the 1990s the Supreme Court issued two very important decisions regarding the right of people to worship freely. In Employment Division v. Smith, the court ruled that the government need not exempt people from the general criminal law merely because they were acting based on their religious beliefs. So even if one’s religion mandated ingesting peyote as a ritual, it was still a crime and cannot be done so long as the law is rational.

About three years later, in Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye, Inc. v. City of Hialeah, the Supreme Court limited this rule to cases where the government is not targeting a religious practice but only regulating a general practice. However, if a city passed a regulation limiting animal sacrifice, it would generally be unconstitutional, unless it survived the strict scrutiny test, because the law’s intent is to prohibit a religious practice.

Few laws survive a strict scrutiny analysis because to do so the government must show there is a compelling governmental interest, such as national security or saving many lives. The government must also craft the law as narrowly as possible, and it may not be overbroad. And the law must use the least restrictive means available to accomplish this task.

On the other hand, to survive a rational basis test, all the government must show is any rationally related justification for the law so long as it is not arbitrary. As Wikipedia notes simply, “A court applying rational basis review will virtually always uphold a challenged law unless every proffered justification for it is a grossly illogical non sequitur.”

In short, almost all laws survive a rational basis review and only a few survive a strict scrutiny.

How should the courts address apparently neutral regulations that really in fact focus on only the conduct of one religious community? They are neutral if read in a vacuum, yet practically focused on a specific religion: Does the rational basis test of Smith apply or the strict scrutiny of Lukumi Babalu? How should the courts look at these MBP regulations?

The Second Circuit makes the following legal claim: Infant HSV can be spread in many different ways, with MBP being just one of them; even the Orthodox Jewish plaintiffs conceded that HSV could be contracted through MBP while even the government acknowledged that most cases of infant HSV are contracted in other ways. Thus, the government was in fact focusing on this unique religious activity to the exclusion of all the other ways to contract HSV and functionally regulating religious activity, albeit in a way that appears neutral at first blush. Therefore, because this regulation actually focuses on religious conduct, the standard of review is strict scrutiny.

What this means practically is that a facially neutral law that in fact intends to focus on a religious practice requires a strict scrutiny analysis as a matter of constitutional law.

The Second Circuit returned the matter to the District Court to determine whether the regulation met the higher standard. It went out of its way to not judge the merits of that issue (as courts sometimes do), implying that a full and fair hearing might enable this regulation to survive strict scrutiny. Whether these regulations actually survive strict scrutiny, I suspect, depends on the factual record developed as to the actual risks of MPB as compared to other methods of getting HSV and whether a consent form is a restriction.

Whatever happens in District Court, this case is important because it sets a high bar of strict scrutiny for governmental regulation whose intent, purpose, and impact is to regulate religious conduct and ritual. For example, governmental regulation of all circumcision would be reviewed only for rational basis, but any law focusing on home or religious circumcision would be subject to strict scrutiny.

Having said all this there is little doubt in my mind that halachic authorities who favor the use of MPB would be well served by ensuring procedures are in place to guarantee, as much as is medically possible, that mohalim who perform MPB do not transmit HSV to the children while doing a bris.Putting aside the legal issues, our community needs to work tirelessly to ensure that the bris ritual is as safe as possible. We must recognize the current system is not working as well as it could when any children are exposed to unnecessary risk of contracting HSV or any other preventable illness through a bris.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-26-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    People who announce on facebook that they are having a friend cull!

Why do you do it? If you don't talk to people enough or vice versa, and decide to bin them... what difference does announcing it make, WHY DO YOU DO IT

I mean, I know why - a narcissistic cry for validation. But yeah SHUT UP

edit - actually maybe I should just bin off facebook if narcissists appealing for validation winds me up so much, hmmm

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Friends lately picking fights with me for the sake of picking a fight.
    Cut it out.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    People who announce on facebook that they are having a friend cull!

Why do you do it? If you don't talk to people enough or vice versa, and decide to bin them... what difference does announcing it make, WHY DO YOU DO IT

I mean, I know why - a narcissistic cry for validation. But yeah SHUT UP

edit - actually maybe I should just bin off facebook if narcissists appealing for validation winds me up so much, hmmm
    Oddly, it cheers me your use of the word 'bin'. Love it. Opps, wrong thread.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I looked at our business checking account this morning, and saw two weird checks had gone through yesterday that I didn't recognize at all. I looked up the check numbers, and they had been written and then canceled in November of 2013. Somehow, they got cashed yesterday to the tune of $312,687.04.

I can almost guarantee that this means we will not be getting paid this month. :|

/self

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I thought checks are only valid 6 months.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Ours actually say 90 days on them.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    And here I am sending you messages with temptation to give me your $. Now I feel like an asshole...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    You're not an asshole. You're the best. <3

We got paid a few weeks ago, so I'll be fine like through March. April might get sketchy. We have a couple of big jobs who are supposed to be paying within the next couple of weeks, so that should help. And OBVIOUSLY whoever cashed these shouldn't have, so we will get the money back. But that process takes a bit. When someone got into my personal account, it took about a month for them to credit that money back.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Ugh.

So, after I started one of my medications recently, I started to have a problem where every time I stood up I would get REALLY dizzy and one time I actually lost my vision for a few seconds. It was my testosterone blocker but the medication is actually generally used as a blood pressure med, but in higher doses it blocks T.

Turns out I was on way too high of a dose. He had me at 400 mg and from what I've heard most people are on 200 max. My blood pressure was too low and when I stood up it took too long for the blood to reach my brain, leaving me lightheaded. I could have even blacked out.

So he lowered my meds to 200 and since then everything has been fine (this was, like, 8 months ago). Until today. All of a sudden, every time I stand up I'm getting SUPER lightheaded. I got out of my car after my break and walking back into work I was not only super lightheaded but my legs felt like rubber. It was really uncomfortable and now I'm getting worried. I thought this problem was solved but apparently not. And my doctor isn't open until Monday (they close really early on Fridays). I'm worried.
    Last edited by theruiner; 02-27-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Ugh.

So, after I started one of my medications recently, I started to have a problem where every time I stood up I would get REALLY dizzy and one time I actually lost my vision for a few seconds. It was my testosterone blocker but the medication is actually generally used as a blood pressure med, but in higher doses it blocks T.

Turns out I was on way too high of a dose. He had me at 400 mg and from what I've heard most people are on 200 max. My blood pressure was too low and when I stood up it took too long for the blood to reach my brain, leaving me lightheaded. I could have even blacked out.

So he lowered my meds to 200 and since then everything has been fine (this was, like, 8 months ago). Until today. All of a sudden, every time I stand up I'm getting SUPER lightheaded. I got out of my car after my break and walking back into work I was not only super lightheaded but my legs felt like rubber. It was really uncomfortable and now I'm getting worried. I thought this problem was solved but apparently not. And my doctor isn't open until Monday (they close really early on Fridays). I'm worried.
    it's possible it's the same symptoms but it's vertigo (which can be caused by a viral infection...my mom has gotten it a bunch of times and each time it has been viral) and not the meds.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's possible it's the same symptoms but it's vertigo (which can be caused by a viral infection...my mom has gotten it a bunch of times and each time it has been viral) and not the meds.
    All I can think of is Lucille 2 from Arrested Development right now. Heh.

Thank you for mentioning that. I don't know that much about vertigo, so I'm looking it up now. Will definitely have to mention it to my doctor. Maybe it's just one bad day but I kind of doubt it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Have you had any leg pain? Or swelling?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Have you had any leg pain? Or swelling?
    I vaguely remember having a little bit of pain in my legs sporadically a few weeks back, but it's since gone away completely.

Are you thinking blood clot? Those scare the hell out of me. My dad had one in his leg shortly before he died and it broke off and caused a pulmonary embolism.
    Estrogen does increase the risk of them but my understanding is that the risk is pretty low. Which doesn't mean it can't happen, of course. I keep an eye out for any swelling and leg pain. If that leg pain from a couple of weeks back had continued I would be much more concerned right now.